• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
what are you looking for in a show like this ? this show actually delivered on several points , points that many people were complaining in earlier episodes.
What do I want? Maybe like, a show that isn't extremely convoluted and contrived with a tangible topic and a likeable cast that doesn't have structural or pacing issues that scream "I used to be a VN!".
When they are actually advancing the plot and moving thing along, i see complains, when they are devellopping the characters , i see complains.
The act of simply advancing the plot is a meaningless milestone. Little actually changes, and it is rare for events that occur to matter or have much bearing. Even if the characters get developed for one or two episodes it doesn't matter, because the show doesn't keep track of half of the shit it spews. Like, the show will set up that one of the main characters as some stupid disease or whatever called "elephant mouse syndrome", but that will have no impact on the character and will only pop up when the show is trapped in a corner and needs to manipulate where the story is headed or fast inject some poorly fabricated drama into scenes.
What should this show do ? Find a focus ? they are giving you one but you're dismissing it .
What is the focus of the show? Is it about kids trying to build a robot? No...not really. Is it about this convoluted backstory behind certain characters? Sometimes. Is it about finding hackers? Is it about fighting toy robots? The world ending? Magic bean monopoles? A robot uprising? The main character playing detective and completing arbitrary tasks to unlock secrets? This stuff is poorly tied together and the show lacks something to push them all into one space with its weak cast. There is this looming conspiracy nonsense that it seems like the show wants to be about, but it is so obsessed with obfuscating information regarding the mystery that it is unable to serve as tent-pole for the series.

Branduil

I do have to say the School Days thing is pretty old hat at this point. There's nothing surprising about the reactions any more.

Articalys

Extended BD sales list for January 28 - February 3:

-- (*21) --- *2,561 *2,561 **1 Campione! v5
-- (*24) --- *2,208 *2,208 **1 Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankenai yo ne v2
-- (*27) --- *2,014 *2,014 **1 Rinne no Lagrange season 2 v5
-- (*30) --- *1,818 12,657 **2 Toshokan Sensou Kakumei no Tsubasa LE
-- (*33) --- *1,598 *1,598 **1 Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! v5
-- (*36) --- *1,549 *1,549 **1 Kidou Senshi Gundam AGE v12
-- (*37) --- *1,528 *1,528 **1 Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica v5
-- (*40) --- *1,307 *6,504 **2 Psycho-Pass v2
-- (*43) --- *1,278 *1,278 **1 Hakuouki Reimeiroku v5
-- (*44) --- *1,210 11,515 *13 Darker than Black -Kuro no Keiyakusha- BD Box
-- (*45) --- *1,208 *1,208 **1 Binbougami ga! v5
-- (*46) --- *1,190 *7,860 **2 Hyouka v8
-- (*48) --- *1,011 *1,011 **1 Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You v2
-- (*52) --- **,883 **,883 **1 Gusco Budori no Denki LE
-- (*58) --- **,809 *5,669 **2 Dog Days' v5
-- (*59) --- **,777 *4,184 **2 Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse v5
-- (*62) --- **,710 **,710 **1 Hiiro no Kakera season 2 v1
-- (*65) --- **,683 **,683 **1 Arcana Famiglia v5
-- (*67) --- **,674 *6,211 **2 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb v2
-- (*69) --- **,652 **,652 **1 Medaka Box Abnormal v1
-- (*72) --- **,578 **,578 **1 Saint Seiya Omega v6
-- (*74) --- **,563 **,563 **1 Code Geass Boukoku no Akito v1 RE
-- (*75) --- **,551 14,136 **3 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! v2
-- (*82) --- **,467 **,467 **1 Code:Breaker v2
-- (*94) --- **,357 *7,818 **7 Psycho-Pass v1
-- (*97) --- **,344 *3,942 **4 Minami-ke BD Box
-- (*98) --- **,339 *4,300 **2 Shoujo Kakumei Utena BD Box v1
-- (100) --- **,332 29,708 **6 Sword Art Online v3

Series v1 debuts bolded.

This also updates the Fall temporal v1 chart:
26,445 *7 Girls und Panzer [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/21
19,370 *1 Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken [DVD+BD]: 2013/01/30
17,520 *5 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/19
13,801 *1 Magi [DVD+BD]: 2013/01/30
12,838 *4 To LOVE-Ru Darkness [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/21
12,349 *2 Gintama' Enchousen [DVD]: 2012/12/19
11,609 *4 Little Busters! [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/26
10,440 *4 Initial D 5th Stage [DVD+BD]: 2013/01/11
*9,928 *3 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/26
*9,297 10 K [DVD+BD]: 2012/11/07
*9,001 *7 Psycho-Pass [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/21
*6,249 *3 Kami-sama Hajimemashita [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/28 [Vol. 2 drops more than half]
*3,386 *1 Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo [DVD+BD]: 2013/01/30
*2,764 *1 Busou Shinki [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/26 [Vol. 2 data]
*2,497 *2 Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankenai yo ne [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/26
*2,494 *1 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun [DVD+BD]: 2012/11/21
*2,392 *1 Jormungand Perfect Order [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/21
*2,024 *1 Hiiro no Kakera Season 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/01/29
*1,911 *1 Zetsuen no Tempest [DVD+BD]: 2013/01/23
*1,759 *1 Ixion Saga DT [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/05
*1,235 *1 Robotics;Notes [DVD+BD]: 2013/01/23
*1,011 *1 Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/21 [Vol. 2 data]
**,652 *1 Medaka Box Abnormal [DVD+BD]: 2013/01/30
**,613 *1 Code:Breaker [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/21 [Vol. 2 data]
**,594 *1 Shinsekai Yori [DVD+BD]: 2012/11/30 [Vol. 2 data]
**,345 *1 BTOOOM! [DVD+BD]: 2012/11/21 [Vol. 3 data]

**,*** ** Sukitte Ii na yo [DVD+BD]: 2012/12/26
data via something @ mania forums

jbug617

Banned
To commemorate this day, I shall post a Cute.
bImkVxg.jpg

It sort of mesmerizing.

Westlo

So how fucked up does this put GAINAX in the fucked up scale?

Pretty fucked up.

Have Gainax announced anything that is being worked on? I remember reading a sakuga 2012 wrap up on some blog (vanishing point?) that featured our own Ducky! Someone mentioned that Gainax had some original shows in the pipeline... gotta go see if i can find that blog post...

Jex

I thought the problem with that scene was weak animation more than the storyboard. The director is young and new, so I agree that she's still a bit rough when it comes to things like the flow of action and the rhythm of the storyboard, but even if a bit overdone the storyboard was mostly okay for me.

I don't see the close-ups as only having the purpose you said, as they're also a way of demonstrating the characters' expressions through body language.
Well, in the part of my post that you quoted I did mention their body language! I would certainly agree that the lack of animation is what brings the scene down though.

Jex

That reminds me, is there a large contingent of people here who have seen Zeta Gundam? That's the next show on my Gundam-watching experience. My understanding is that it's supposed to be the best that Gundam has to offer but just checking.

Hahahahahahahhaha Zeta Gundam. The direction and structure are classic Tomino, which is to say extremely variable. Nearly all the characters are terrible and the villains are cartoon characters (even more so than one would expect). Also women can't pilot any robot ever.

I mean hahahhahahhahaha.

Gundam 0080 or Turn A Gundam is where it's at.

fertygo

Hahahahahahahhaha Zeta Gundam.

I mean hahahhahahhahaha.

Gundam 0080 or Turn A Gundam is where it's at.

He not wrong.

Although 0080 is close. Turn-A was godly but its not your usual Gundam.

And yeah this is "Gundam's experience"

The direction and structure are classic Tomino, which is to say extremely variable. Nearly all the characters are terrible and the villains are cartoon characters (even more so than one would expect). Also women can't pilot any robot ever.
We not talking about the best show! but the best "Gundam" experience that they can offer, Zeta have it all.

Jex

Dog Soldier: Shadows of the Past

Behold the amazingness that is Dog Soldier from Central Park Media who also did Area 88! This OVA has nothing to do with making dogs into soldiers. In fact it's just a nickname for this bloke called John Kyosuke Hiba, I was quite disappointed when I found out this fact.

Anyway, this is about an evil weapons dealer called 'Phantom' and his auction business, that sells weapons. This time it's a biological weapon that turned out to be a
n AIDS vaccine, it's not really much of weapon by all accounts

I feel like, despite the amazing overall plot idea e.g. the cure for AIDS and one really sweet knife fight most of that OVA is fairly bland and disappointing, especially when compared to some of the other stuff that's out there. I can't in all good conscious recommend that people check it out.

Kagami

SCHOOL DAYS !12[/b[

YO....

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Irthink ImI'mgonna be sick...

... fuck! why?!?

Now that you're done, I can talk about a couple of things you said before that I wanted to comment on. :)

At one point you said "there's nothing special about Makoto."
But later you got to see that at the very least,
he's extremely good at pleasing women sexually, enough to get all the girls in school talking about it.

But that doesn't explain why so many were interested in him to begin with.
Normally we'd just chalk it up to "that's just how romance games work," but in this case, it actually goes back up a level to Makoto's father, Tomaru.
Tomaru is a super-womanizer, to such a degree that he might as well have magic powers.
So the assumption is that Makoto inherited that ability from his father.

You know how you were saying
Makoto's too dumb/not smooth enough to pull off the cheating thing?
Well, unlike Makoto, Tomaru was shrewd, perverted, sociopathic, and completely aware of his super-charm abilities, and he used them to both make himself rich and to explore the limits of human depravity:

AnimeGAF discussion on Tomaru
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=43281920#post43281920

4chan/jp/ discussion archive on Tomaru (occasional NSFW thumbnails, discussion itself is very NSFW and disturbing)
Part 1 http://archive.foolz.us/jp/thread/2638121/#2639485 (starts halfway through)
Part 2 http://archive.foolz.us/jp/thread/2642768/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Friends Club 5

Yeah, this show is pretty bland, but I still half-watch/scrub it.

I'm curious though, is this show produced by the same people who did Mayo Chiki? This reference is so oddly specific that even though they fake the name, it feels like product placement. Rika is basically Kevin Spacey talking about her Pee Ess Vita™.

p1z2dgHl.jpg

Y7A5koml.jpg

Very weird.

Vividred Operation 5
Yeah, the mysterious girl has a conflicted past and is being manipulated. This show isn't even trying any more. Ah well.

Shergal

Well, in the part of my post that you quoted I did mention their body language! I would certainly agree that the lack of animation is what brings the scene down though.

Yes, I expressed myself badly. I meant that I don't see avoiding the faces as a bad point in that part because the characters' feelings could (if it had been better executed) be appreciated more accurately by their body language than just by watching their faces. Although now that I think about it, Kyoani's approach to facial acting is usually not very literal so the expressions would have flat-out told the viewer about their reactions and such. Maybe my liking of that use of the storyboard is more superficial, I just seem to dig it instintively.

Madao

Sailor Moon rewatch 32-51 (end of S1, start of R)

i've watched these eps between tuesday and today.
one thing i forgot to mention the other day is how knowing that Zoisite was actually a guy changed my perception of a lot of this part since they made him female in the dub and i was like "wtf?!?!" when i watched the jp version in 2007 and learned about this. this time it wasn't much of a big deal but a few scenes were definitely weirder.
outside that, it was fun seeing Endymion cockblock Kunsite's plans and do his own thing for the eps leading to the end.
the end of the season was pretty shocking for me originally since i didn't know anything about the series and seeing them die was like "omg did they really die?". the final battle still brings a few chills.

Sailor Moon R
when i learned the first mini-arc was filler, i was a bit surprised since there was no difference with the quality between canon eps and these ones (i had a similar reaction with the asgard part in Saint Seiya). i guess it was a good thing they put more effort into these types of eps back in the day since you actually want to rewatch them along the other eps and didn't do shit like Naruto-esque filler which is a mandatory skip.
i'll probably finish the mini arc tomorrow and then it is Black Moon time!

Articalys

Friends Club 5

I'm curious though, is this show produced by the same people who did Mayo Chiki? This reference is so oddly specific that even though they fake the name, it feels like product placement. Rika is basically Kevin Spacey talking about her Pee Ess Vita™.

Very weird.
Mayo Chiki was feel., while Hagnai NEXT is AIC Build, so no. I dunno if the LN publishers are under the same label or something though.

But you are still watching after sixteen episodes.
I would have stopped back at 5-10 if,
1 . I didn't know a couple minor spoilers
2 . Steins;Gate wasn't my 2nd favorite anime series.

That reminds me, is there a large contingent of people here who have seen Zeta Gundam? That's the next show on my Gundam-watching experience. My understanding is that it's supposed to be the best that Gundam has to offer but just checking.

Nope
1. 0080
2. Wing
3. 08th
4. Turn A

Jex

He not wrong.

Although 0080 is close. Turn-A was godly but its not your usual Gundam.

And yeah this is "Gundam's experience"

We not talking about the best show! but the best "Gundam" experience that they can offer, Zeta have it all.

The most 'Gundam' experiences are the worst one's though!

cajunator

Banned
Friends Club 5

p1z2dgHl.jpg

Y7A5koml.jpg

Very weird.

Vividred Operation 5
Yeah, the mysterious girl has a conflicted past and is being manipulated. This show isn't even trying any more. Ah well.

That is quite clearly a reference to Mayo Chiki.
Not sure about studio relation but thats exectly what they are talking about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mayo Chiki was feel., while Hagnai NEXT is AIC Build, so no. I dunno if the LN publishers are under the same label or something though.
It's just weird because they took half a minute to basically advertise the show, even though they changed the names slightly.

I mean, unless the galge/otomoge they're playing is a real game and not a thin TokiMemo parody, it's weird that it was just that specific.

I mean, Joshiraku and every other anime with 5 girls has made a K-On joke, to the point where Joshiraku's characters talked about visiting London, but those references are obtuse at best.

Ah well. lol

I'm pretty sure it never tried.
That's probably true. :(

Anime is SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT, etc.

fertygo

It's just weird because they took half a minute to basically advertise the show, even though they changed the names slightly.

I mean, unless the galge/otomoge they're playing is a real game and not a thin TokiMemo parody, it's weird that it was just that specific.

I mean, Joshiraku and every other anime with 5 girls has made a K-On joke, to the point where Joshiraku's characters talked about visiting London, but those references are obtuse at best.

Ah well. lol

The other show, talking about JoJo nonstop.. they just making fun, not a big deal.

EDIT : meh dp, sorry.

Dresden

Friends Club 5

The two LNs share the same publisher and imprint.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The two LNs share the same publisher and imprint.
That makes a bit more sense. I guess they didn't want to use the actual name to avoid looking too much like an advertisement? Us nerds are a cynical bunch or something.

The other show, talking about JoJo nonstop.. they just making fun, not a big deal.

EDIT : meh dp, sorry.
Oh right, OreShura. The references they make there are oddly specific too, but at least the characters are only describing the scenes and not actually re-drawing them. lol

Friends Club 5

p1z2dgHl.jpg

Y7A5koml.jpg

Very weird.

Vividred Operation 5

The first season had an obvious Monster Hunter clone, a Sacred Blacksmith parody, and Mecha sex scene between an Eva unit and a Gundam. It's just what the show does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom