• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

For me, as far as actually recognizing something as anime, it's probably the Saturday Anime block that SciFi ran for a while in the 90s. In particular, Akira and Iria: Zeiram the Animation, which remains one of my favorite anime. I'm sure there's a healthy dose of nostalgia there, but I'd still kill for a BD release of it.
Yep, same. I remember my mind being blown by Akira when I was a kid watching it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To add to this, I don't think the people who develop those things are the same teams that are making the new stuff. EAD didn't do OoT 3D and I don't think they're doing WW HD. So...everybody wins.

Yep, OoT3D was handled by another team called Grezzo and this WindWaker HD re-release is the result of experiments while developing the WiiU version, i.e. this would have existed anyway even if they never planned to release it. They basically thought instead of keeping it locked away internally, it's a bit of easy money and people may want it. Why wouldn't people want a game like Wind Waker looking the best it can?

ZetaEpyon

I'm pretty nostalgic about Iria too. I don't recall it being bad at all, though there may have been a couple of WTF moments. I've seen the live action movies so it might be running together a bit. Didn't suffer it's lack of not being a full season as much as Please Save My Earth.

Yeah, I don't think that it's bad and it's just nostalgia clouding my judgment. I'd be interested to see what people who never saw it years ago think of it.

Emitan

Mail came!

BBULhJcCEAAXRVh.jpg

Theonik

Golden Boy 05 (ENG)
This was educational.
Holy :chet batman. Also dat bike.
This was pretty awesome! 1 more left!

cajunator

Banned
And on what year was that?

Why? Because you recently bought the DVDs, perhaps?

Yes, that would be exactly why.

For me, as far as actually recognizing something as anime, it's probably the Saturday Anime block that SciFi ran for a while in the 90s. In particular, Akira and Iria: Zeiram the Animation, which remains one of my favorite anime. I'm sure there's a healthy dose of nostalgia there, but I'd still kill for a BD release of it.

IRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
One of my first animu. So much nostalgia. So much awesome.

Mail came!

BBULhJcCEAAXRVh.jpg

Is that a DVD version?

Golden Boy 05 (ENG)
This was educational.
Holy :chet batman. Also dat bike.
This was pretty awesome! 1 more left!

nobody compares to her Bimo baby.

Yep, OoT3D was handled by another team called Grezzo and this WindWaker HD re-release is the result of experiments while developing the WiiU version, i.e. this would have existed anyway even if they never planned to release it. They basically thought instead of keeping it locked away internally, it's a bit of easy money and people may want it. Why wouldn't people want a game like Wind Waker looking the best it can?

Well I would personally not want HDmakes/remakes of old games, but rather everyone work on actually new games. Imagine the drought Nintendo wouldnt have if these companies worked on just new things.

In anime, apart from people like me who'd never seen it originally, it didnt seem like many people actually wanted a Gundam Seed HDmake, but rather wanted another continuation of Gundam Seed, I imagine would be the same case for and HD version of Cowboy Bebop, TTGL HD, etc...

Well I would personally not want HDmakes/remakes of old games, but rather everyone work on actually new games. Imagine the drought Nintendo wouldnt have if these companies worked on just new things.

In anime, apart from people like me who'd never seen it originally, it didnt seem like many people actually wanted a Gundam Seed HDmake, but rather wanted another continuation of Gundam Seed, I imagine would be the same case for and HD version of Cowboy Bebop, TTGL HD, etc...

There's also people who no longer have the original console of games like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. I do, but I still would rather play a game that looked better.

/XX/

And talking of nostalgia, I had that rush-to-the-head sensation that it provokes when you hear again that song you didn't remember for so long; that MOGRA COUNTDOWN 2012 - 2013 event (http://club-mogra.jp/2012/12/31/1504/) and the DJ kaw*kaw 'nostalgia bomb drop' before the New Year's last moments did it for me, in particular seeing those clubbers dancing the second Shin-chan opening (夢のENDはいつも目覚まし!). It was too heavy for me...

... and what happened exactly to the crazy B.B.Queens? They were pretty famous at the time, right?

Yes, that would be exactly why.
That sucks, man!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Spent the last half hour refreshing the last anime thread, man I need to go home. :lol

This job... Ugh.

cajunator

Banned
And talking of nostalgia, I had that rush-to-the-head sensation that it provokes when you hear again that song you didn't remember for so long; during the MOGRA COUNTDOWN 2012 - 2013 event (http://club-mogra.jp/2012/12/31/1504/) and kaw*kaw 'nostalgia bomb drop' before the New Year's last moments did it for me, in particular seeing those clubbers dancing the second Shin-chan opening (夢のENDはいつも目覚まし!). It was too heavy for me...

That sucks, man!

Im not as pissed about that as I am with Oreimo Bluray.
Especially the price. I would have paid that maybe if it was the first thing released, like I did with Fate Zero, but this is just a slap in the face to people who bought the DVD set, although that set is pretty nice anyway.

Jex

What a terrible list. Why does this list not have the legit most popular kids anime in Sazae-san or even Chibi Maruko or Doraemon?

None of them are ever coming to the West because of a) money; and b) culture.

Because writing for a blog on the internet, that's why.

ZetaEpyon

Im not as pissed about that as I am with Oreimo Bluray.
Especially the price. I would have paid that maybe if it was the first thing released, like I did with Fate Zero, but this is just a slap in the face to people who bought the DVD set, although that set is pretty nice anyway.

Yeah, I think the existence of the LE DVD set for Oreimo makes the situation worse. Even if there had been an earlier DVD release, but just the cheaper version and not the LEs, it would be a little more palatable.

Jex

Mouryou no Hako 3

Nope. Still not making any sense whatsoever.

When it seemed that the main girl had stopped being cray cray, the episode ends on that note and brings everything back. I guess I should be thankful for having a character like Kiba, who at the very least doesn't seem to be batshit insane yet, around.

I think I did warn people about this show and this is pretty much why. It demands your full attention at all times and even then you'll still struggle to put it together at points. At least you're persevering!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mouryou no Hako 3

Nope. Still not making any sense whatsoever.

When it seemed that the main girl had stopped being cray cray, the episode ends on that note and brings everything back. I guess I should be thankful for having a character like Kiba, who at the very least doesn't seem to be batshit insane yet, around.

The show never makes any sense. Just give up trying and wait for the show to explain everything.

Jex

Mouryou no Hako 3
[...]
I wish I could speculate about things, but I'm so deep in the dark that I don't know where to begin. But it still feels like one or two firm answers to the questions posed so far could start to unravel everything else, which is good.

The way flashbacks were handled in this episode was bizarre. Considering so much happens in and around the hospital at different times, and that there are flashbacks nestled inside other flashbacks, I found myself rather disoriented.

So the ransom note came before Kanako disappeared? Why?

It's still a very interesting show, I just wish some leads started appearing.
Yeah, as if it wasn't already hard enough to keep up with the mysteries the timeline can be pretty confusing to. Also, sometimes you get weird cutaways to like, metaphors that are being represented visually just because.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I think I did warn people about this show and this is pretty much why. It demands your full attention at all times and even then you'll still struggle to put it together at points. At least you're persevering!

We'll stay strong. Hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

The show never makes any sense. Just give up trying and wait for the show to explain everything.

Sounds reasonable, haha.

Jex

Whoa, that's a lot of movies! Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I'll try to check them all out if I can. It's not like this season is packed with much anyway!

And to think 'tis but a small slice of all the great anime movies that are out there! The backlog is truly infinite.

Jex

Man, it's been so long since I saw Vampire Hunter D mentioned anywhere.
I feel that's just a sign of one generation of anime fans departing the scene for good, at least in terms of their active participation in the wider community. Most works that aren't, I dunno, Ghibli or Akira or FLCL works feel doomed to drop of the recommendation lists eventually.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I feel that's just a sign of one generation of anime fans departing the scene for good, at least in terms of their active participation in the wider community. Most works that aren't, I dunno, Ghibli or Akira or FLCL works feel doomed to drop of the recommendation lists eventually.

Maybe it just has to do with most people who saw Vampire Hunter D thinking that it wasn't very good?

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, I think the existence of the LE DVD set for Oreimo makes the situation worse. Even if there had been an earlier DVD release, but just the cheaper version and not the LEs, it would be a little more palatable.

I'm just gonna wait at this point for maybe a stripped down version with just the bluray if they ever release one. I already have a fuckload of extra swag for Oreimo from the LE. Im sure a lot of the bluray package is the same stuff. If its not I may have to reconsider...

Nafe

I think if I try to explain it, it would just show how bad of a joke it really was.
At least Nafe got it.

You know this talk about same character designers reminds me about paying more attention to that sort of thing now than when I was younger. For example, I watched DragonBall and DragonBall Z (although it was in the early nineties rather than the late nineties like it seems to have been for a lot of people here) so when the game Chrono Trigger came out the character designs reminded me of DragonBall, with the way Crono's hair looked like Goku's for example. It wasn't until years later that paying more attention I found out they looked similar because it WAS the same character designer, that being Akira Toriyama.

It really isn't strange, yeah! And lets also remember the nice input all the GEEKS made to the project:

Comiket 79, GAINAX, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - The Art of PSG Vol. 1 Collection of Initial Design - Nattoli's blog - nattoli.net
http://www.nattoli.net/entry/384/co...art-of-psg-vol-1-collection-of-initial-design

Mr. Nishigori's big contribution is there, but also interesting to mention is that the concept designs from Mr. Yoshinari were specially defining for the visual nature of this work! I see now we talked about this topic some time ago.

And... what happened to those promised several scenes in successive episodes to be animated by Mr. Yoshinari? Well... I'm not sure!

Thanks for that link. Haha, when typing my response to BGBW I was actually thinking back to this exact same conversation we had that you linked to. Talking about what shows Nishigori had worked on and the earlier conversation between 7Th and duckroll about whether he was the animated character designer for Magi or not due to some style similarities. Great minds think alike I guess.

Even after we found out later that it was Toshifumi Akai, 7Th had mentioned to me that he had worked with Nishigori a bit before, such as on The Idolm@ster, so it actually wouldn't really be all that surprising that he maybe picked up some of his style.

Theonik

you must try the manga.

that reminds me, i'm in love with the character design.
I read that
the manga has a lot more of him being a badass like in Episode 03
it doesn't have this dub though which is a big negative point! (then again I'd probably READ it in his voice.

Mature

Well that's a rather depressing sentiment.

Is it already time for me to transcend into an enthusiast who's all about shilling the past? I thought I had a few years left.

Caesnd

Man, it's been so long since I saw Vampire Hunter D mentioned anywhere.

I recall Kawajiri and Ninja Scroll 2 being mentioned one or two threads ago, which spurred me to rewatch most of Kawajiris works. Vampire Hunter D just sort of stuck with me for some reason, maybe because I really feel they did Yoshitaka Amanos concept work justice somehow. Meyer Link and D both had this air around them. The fact that the art and animation is top notch even today doesn't hurt either. Some of the extremely subtle yet powerful facial expressions in that movie really got to me.

I'm not one to decry the state of an entire industry as a whole just because I feel nostalgic though. From time to time there are still shows that really shine through, and that's more than enough for me.

Jex

Maybe it just has to do with most people who saw Vampire Hunter D thinking that it wasn't very good?

An unlikely explanation, considering that Vampire Hunter D did pretty well overseas and was a staple recommendation for quite sometime, presumably due to that Streamline dub. Ninja Scroll used to be hot shit as well, of course. Of course, not every work stands the test of time and many works just eventually lapse into relative obscurity. Perhaps because they just aren't that great.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The iDOLM@STER 7

Just keep focusing on the worst characters. Just keep doing it. Seriously. Also, fuck Kugimiya's voice.

Annoying and Hate List: Yayoi, Iori

Hate List: Mami, Ami

Like List: Makoto, Haruka, Chihaya

Chronoexe

The iDOLM@STER 7

Just keep focusing on the worst characters. Just keep doing it. Seriously. Also, fuck Kugimiya's voice.

Annoying and Hate List: Yayoi, Iori

Hate List: Mami, Ami

Like List: Makoto, Haruka, Chihaya

I understand your hate for Iori but why Yayoi ;__;

Caesnd

I mostly recommend Kawajiri's movies because I feel they are pretty unique experiences pertaining to the medium of animation itself. They are movies where the parts are greater than the whole, so to speak.

ZetaEpyon

Your backlog is full of classic stuff you haven't ever seen or experienced before. I am insanely jealous of your position actually.

This is probably actually true of everyone here. I know that I'm especially guilty, despite the sheer amount of stuff that I've seen, as evidenced by my MAL.

Shameful admission: the only Ghibli movies I've seen are Arietty, Princess Mononoke, and Kiki's Delivery Service. The first two of which I saw in the theater.

cajunator

Banned
This is probably actually true of everyone here. I know that I'm especially guilty, despite the sheer amount of stuff that I've seen, as evidenced by my MAL.

Shameful admission: the only Ghibli movies I've seen are Arietty, Princess Mononoke, and Kiki's Delivery Service. The first two of which I saw in the theater.
Youve got some great movies ahead of you as well.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Soul Eater 02

Show is still stylish as ever. That's probably the biggest thing I like this, just how cool it looks. Episode did drag but that was mostly due to Black Star.

Black Star is definitely the worst out of the main cast, and doesn't get better for a long time in the Manga.

/XX/

Even after we found out later that it was Toshifumi Akai, 7Th had mentioned to me that he had worked with Nishigori a bit before, such as on The Idolm@ster, so it actually wouldn't really be all that surprising that he maybe picked up some of his style.
Yeah, I remember some animation work and even promotional illustrations (best way to compare the two) for Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann by Toshifumi Akai. Probably him and Yūsuke Matsuo convinced Mr. Nishigori to defect to A-1 Pictures, or something like that (just saying, maybe it even is true!)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom