• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Looks like Shinkai is making another sort of promotional anime short film, this time for some kind of home living exhibition.
The Nomura Real Estate Group began streaming the trailer for "Dareka no Manazashi" (Someone's Gaze), the new short anime film from auteur writer/director Makoto Shinkai (Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Children Who Chase Lost Voices), on Wednesday.

The main character is Aya "Aachan" Okamura, a woman who has been working for two years at a company and has begun living on her own. The story is set "slightly in the future" and revolves around Aachan, her father, her mother, and her cat Mii-san.

CoMix Wave Films, NEST, and TYO M1 Production produced this short in collaboration with The Answer Studio Co., Ltd., and singer-songwriter Kazusa performed the theme song "Sore de Ii yo." Narrator Fumi Hirano (Urusei Yatsura's Lum) leads the cast with Satomi Hanamura and Shinji Ogawa.

Nomura Real Estate will screen the short during "Proud Box Kanshasai," a home living exposition which will run from February 10 to 11 at the Tokyo International Forum.
LQ Youtube preview

That reminds me that I have anime films still on my list of things to watch. Funnily enough, I seem to have an easier time committing focus on series than films.

Same here. I've actually had 5 Centimeters per Second for a while now and haven't watched it, yet I try giving some mediocre anime a watch hoping this season isn't as bad as it looks.

Narag

That reminds me that I have anime films still on my list of things to watch. Funnily enough, I seem to have an easier time committing focus on series than films.

I'm the same way. I think I get it into my head I don't have 2 hours to spare then watch 4 hours of tv stuff. smh

Dresden

Love Live! 1-3

This is one of those things where it's so corny and over-the-top you can't help but laugh. Add some wahjah as fuck CG to the mix and you've got easily one of the most entertaining shows of the season. Let it be known that this show owns.

Goddamn it wonzo.

/tosses on watchlist

I've had Nobita's Dino 2006 (among others) on my backlog for about three years now.

Feels bad.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I seem to remember that Sky1 (Sky One, whatever!) showed a bunch of different shows, though their names escape me at this point. Other than that, Fox Kids had Digimon, right? But I never watched that, well, not beyond when CITV briefly flirted with the idea of pushing it as the new Pokemon.

Sky One was showing Pokémon before we even got the games. It was my first exposure to it. In fact on a trip to Ireland my friend and I discovered the hostel had Sky and we got up early every morning to watch it. You better believe I was excited to finally get the game (I bought an imported copy of Pokémon Pinball before hand. Yep, a spinoff before the real deal HAHA).

I'm sure I've linked to this before, but this is how UK kids experienced Pokémon on the television.

Anyone want to attend an anime con with me dressed like this?

Nafe

Didn't Nishigori also do the character designs for the iM@S anime or was he just the director? Sounds like we have been due for iM@S x Gurren Lagann type art!

Yeah, Nishigori was both the director and the character designer along with a whole bunch of other things. Such as doing key animation for some episodes and storyboarding the openings.

So we should expect K-ON! figures based off of the art style from Tamako Market?

Haha, maybe.

Kazzy

Sky One was showing Pokémon before we even got the games. It was my first exposure to it.

I'm sure I've linked to this before, but this is how UK kids experienced Pokémon on the television.

It was great at the time.
And still is.

Sounds like we followed a similar trajectory, and I bought the games purely off the strength of the anime too. The Lt. Surge gym battle was the first thing me and my sister saw, and it blew our minds!
Clearly peaked too early!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Laws of Eternity/QUOTE]
Good man. Didn't want to come off as a loony.

I backed you up on it with Flots the other day. If I started exclaiming it too much, I might seriously come off loony!
I said I didn't want to come off as a loony...

So you're expecting me to watch a movie of a series which I found shitty? That's not very compelling....
But it's set in London and if you squint really hard you may see me waving from a window.

Well, Atsushi Nishigori did the character designs for both the Gurren Lagann anime and Panty & Stocking so it's actually not really that strange to see Gurren Lagann figures in the character style of Panty & Stocking.
Well there was also logic to my suggestion. They... erm... both have the letter N in the names! Yeah...

BluWacky

Oh man, that was a thing. A real big thing. How could I forget!?

I only consider myself to be relatively new to watching anime, but other than Pokemon, I also had early exposure to Yu-Gi-Oh too. That was back when waking up at 6am was a common occurrence ( and my bar of entry was still relatively low). I seem to remember that Sky1 (Sky One, whatever!) showed a bunch of different shows, though their names escape me at this point. Other than that, Fox Kids had Digimon, right? But I never watched that, well, not beyond when CITV briefly flirted with the idea of pushing it as the new Pokemon.

Fox Kids aired a lot of anime. It's how I first watched Sailor Moon (to the end of R), Escaflowne, Tekkaman Blade (known as Teknoman - unlike the US, we got the whole show, although still with Maggie the woman instead of Levin the transvestite), and a bunch of other shows.

The classic "they showed THAT?" anime in the UK, however, for people of my age, is Strange Dawn, which aired on Saturday mornings in the very early 00s. Only those who watched the show like that have seen the entire official English version; the DVD release was cancelled after two volumes and I don't believe the dub's ever been broadcast anywhere else. Unfortunately I had school on Saturdays so missed everything beyond the first episode or two (the dub was also truly terrible, cast with a bunch of ex-pat Aussies who couldn't act, and the broadcast was quite heavily cut) and I've never made time to watch the show again.

Eureka Seven 24

Just . . . don't look at me . . . I'm not crying . . . I just . . . so beautiful.

I held out until Charles hugged him, then it was a straight out bawl-fest until Ray started crying at the end. Then I freaking could not stop.

It is indeed quite beautiful. I'm glad you managed to get to this part of the series.

Can anyone recommend me some good anime movies? The only one I've seen are Spritied Away, Strong World (and the other OP movies), and Disappearance of Haruhi.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Patlabor
Castle in the Sky
Digimon Movies 1,2 and 6
Princess Mononoke

At last, the full version of Wareta Ringo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS4T7ypxnEU

That guitar solo at 2:49... man.

So good.

Easily the best anime ending of the past few years.

Are you somehow implying that she sounds like a chipmunk some other time?

Explain yourself or we:

Well my only real exposure to her before this was in Seitokai Yakuindomo and she managed to hit some level of shrillness when her character debut.

I would say it was better later on in the series, but just that intro.

Kazzy

Fox Kids aired a lot of anime. It's how I first watched Sailor Moon (to the end of R), Escaflowne, Tekkaman Blade (known as Teknoman - unlike the US, we got the whole show, although still with Maggie the woman instead of Levin the transvestite), and a bunch of other shows.

This I didn't know! And Toonami (in it's first incarnation, back when it was part of Cartoon Network) showed late night Cowboy Bebop. Not that I knew what it was, though I remember the conversation about VHS and Betamax quite vividly, for whatever reason! Which in itself was kind of a weird revelation, actually encountering that scene once again (and in context), when I watched the series last year.

DiGiKerot

I only consider myself to be relatively new to watching anime, but other than Pokemon, I also had early exposure to Yu-Gi-Oh too. That was back when waking up at 6am was a common occurrence ( and my bar of entry was still relatively low). I seem to remember that Sky1 (Sky One, whatever!) showed a bunch of different shows, though their names escape me at this point. Other than that, Fox Kids had Digimon, right? But I never watched that, well, not beyond when CITV briefly flirted with the idea of pushing it as the new Pokemon.

If you go back far enough, Sky1 actually used to air Sherlock Hound. I remember things like Gigantor (the 80s version) airing on long-defunct children's satellite channels as well.

I remember channels showing non-kids anime as well, though. Late night Manga-released OAVs like Cyber City Oedo and Tokyo Babylon, or the likes of Paramount, Sci-Fi or Bravo running movies and the occasional OAV. Also that year when Sky Movies randomly started airing old dubs of Porco Rosso and Totoro. That was a good year.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, relying on other people for the extra channels made trying to watch anime a pointless endeavour for me. It's their house so it's only right they get to choose what to watch. Which is why it was only around 2006 I really sat down and watched something, but that was only a handful of shows. I'd say last Summer was the point I actually got into anime properly.

I was always curious about that Ultimate Muscle show. Of course none of my friends wanted to watch it so it was never meant to be. And then shows like Outlaw Star always started when it was time to go home. Can't even remember how many times I saw the OP to it without seeing anything from the actual show.

One of my favourite bits of UK anime I've found. Old comedy dub of Lum the Invader done by the BBC.

I found the same clip of the American dub and closed it after 15 seconds. The UK one is surprisingly (or perhaps not surprisingly since it was done by professional voice actors (and British ones mind fufu)) better despite being a comedy one.

/XX/

Well, Atsushi Nishigori did the character designs for both the Gurren Lagann anime and Panty & Stocking so it's actually not really that strange to see Gurren Lagann figures in the character style of Panty & Stocking.
It really isn't strange, yeah! And lets also remember the nice input all the GEEKS made to the project:

Comiket 79, GAINAX, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - The Art of PSG Vol. 1 Collection of Initial Design - Nattoli's blog - nattoli.net
http://www.nattoli.net/entry/384/co...art-of-psg-vol-1-collection-of-initial-design

Mr. Nishigori's big contribution is there, but also interesting to mention is that the concept designs from Mr. Yoshinari were specially defining for the visual nature of this work! I see now we talked about this topic some time ago.

And... what happened to those promised several scenes in successive episodes to be animated by Mr. Yoshinari? Well... I'm not sure!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So we learn once again that is you had just terrestrial tv in the UK you were buggered when it came to anime.

But at least when Film Four went to Freeview they broadcast the Ghibli film both subbed and dubbed version so it wasn't all bad for us poor TV folk.

cajunator

Banned
It really isn't strange, yeah! And lets remember the nice input all the GEEKS made to the project:

Comiket 79, GAINAX, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - The Art of PSG Vol. 1 Collection of Initial Design - Nattoli's blog - nattoli.net
http://www.nattoli.net/entry/384/co...art-of-psg-vol-1-collection-of-initial-design

Mr. Nishigori's big contribution is there, but also interesting to mention is that the concept designs from Mr. Yoshinari were specially defining for the visual nature of this work!

What happened to those promised several scenes in successive episodes to be animated by him... I'm not sure...

I still cant believe they are releasing a bluray version of PSG now. So fucking pissed.

cajunator

Banned
Between Nintendo Direct and this, this may just be the best day I've had on the internet in a long, long time. I have been waiting ages for this song.

I woke up a little while ago and nintendo dropped all kinds of awesome bombs. WTF? I didnt even know there was an event today!
But they announced windWaker HD which is like the best thing ever. I think my life cannot get any better now.

I woke up a little while ago and nintendo dropped all kinds of awesome bombs. WTF? I didnt even know there was an event today!
But they announced windWaker HD which is like the best thing ever. I think my life cannot get any better now.

OMG YES. My second favorite game ever. That, X, and the SMT X FE game have made me a happy camper.

Mitsuho

Banned
So we learn once again that is you had just terrestrial tv in the UK you were buggered when it came to anime.

But at least when Film Four went to Freeview they broadcast the Ghibli film both subbed and dubbed version so it wasn't all bad for us poor TV folk.

The earliest anime experience on US TV I remember was Warriors of the Wind, some bastardization of Nausicaa.

Edit: Oh and "The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers" if you count it as 'anime.'

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The earliest anime experience on US TV I remember was Warriors of the Wind, some bastardization of Nausicaa.

I've always been tempted to watch it, but I've heard how much of a bastardisation is it and I really don't want to ruin one of my favourite films.

DiGiKerot

The oldest bit of UK anime memorabilia I have is a VHS copy of Technopolice 21C, which is so old that it pre-dates mandatory BBFC video certification. Of course, I'm not old enough to have bought that when it was new - I picked it up many, many, many years later - though I did see it on Betamax when my age was but in the single digits.

/XX/

Oh, crumbs... 1994, I think? Around about then, anyway. The replayed it a few years later, when over the course of a few weeks they played Akira, Patlabor (just the first one, I think) and Honneamise.
I see... those old times seem such a good times now, isn't it? I asked because that movie was also something else on this country... like a call to attention for the nascent Japanese animation fandom, conscient of what was coming (I precisely mentioned thoughts on this some time ago, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38673104&postcount=6552).

And another obscure pickup for Sentai is Okamikakushi ~ Masque of the Wolf, an early 2010 series based on a PSP game written by the Higurashi guy.

Subonly dvd? I wonder what was the market, I do remember this anime, I may look into it, there was one scene I could just never forget.
episode 3 when it goes like all BL/yaoi~ish

Best thing ever would have been like a Golden Sun continuation and a Golden Sun anime. Though I dont know why people like HDmakes so much, shouldnt we want original games and new franchises instead?

Kagami

It's one of her few roles that actually matter considering she mostly does video game work.
Could have sworn she was in a hentai I watched too
She's done around 50 adult games. I'm not sure how many of them have adult OVAs, but a number of them have non-adult TV anime (Shukufuku no Campanella, "Love, Elections, and Chocolate", A Bridge to the Starry Skies, Shin Koihime Musou, and she would have been in Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka TV if they hadn't done one of those lame game-to-anime voice cast replacements.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Best thing ever would have been like a Golden Sun continuation and a Golden Sun anime. Though I dont know why people like HDmakes so much, shouldnt we want original games and new franchises instead?

That's like saying why should people want a BluRay copy when there's a perfectly good VHS tape with the show on it.

ZetaEpyon

Edit: Oh and "The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers" if you count it as 'anime.'

For me, as far as actually recognizing something as anime, it's probably the Saturday Anime block that SciFi ran for a while in the 90s. In particular, Akira and Iria: Zeiram the Animation, which remains one of my favorite anime. I'm sure there's a healthy dose of nostalgia there, but I'd still kill for a BD release of it.

Kazzy

In that regard, I'd consider it pretty good. Film Four seem to regularly air Ghibli works, and I think they've pretty much gone through the entire catalog at this point, well barring the likes of Ponyo and Arrietty. It was a nice surprise to see that The Little Norse Prince (Horus: Prince of the Sun) was airing not long before Christmas too.

That's like saying why should people want a BluRay copy when there's a perfectly good VHS tape with the show on it.

I dont know, Nintendo fans have always been baffling to me, it was first, cant wait for Mario/Zelda in HD, then cant wait for OoT in 3D, now they want Majoras Mask in 3D, and Wind Waker in HD, not to mention people rebuying the same games on each virtual console...while there are no new nintendo characters introduced in the midst of this HD/3D timing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In that regard, I'd consider it pretty good. Film Four seem to regularly air Ghibli works, and I think they've pretty much gone through the entire catalog at this point, well barring the likes of Ponyo and Arrietty. It was a nice surprise to see that The Little Norse Prince (Horus: Prince of the Sun) was airing not long before Christmas too.

I thought they showed Arrietty on New Years and I'm sure I've seen Ponyo listed. By that Ghibli week when Film4 premiered on Freeview was great. All I'd seen at that point was Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

I dont know, Nintendo fans have always been baffling to me, it was first, cant wait for Mario/Zelda in HD, then cant wait for OoT in 3D, now they want Majoras Mask in 3D, and Wind Waker in HD, not to mention people rebuying the same games on each virtual console...while there are no new nintendo characters introduced in the midst of this HD/3D timing.

No new characters apart from the new characters they introduced. Also Microsoft and Sony have released HD remakes. And not everyone bought these games when they first came out. Would I be wrong to want Super Mario RPG on the VC because it is an SNES game? No, because it never came out in Europe originally. Not every Nintendo fan owns every Nintendo game. That's just silly

Syrinx

I thought they showed Arrietty on New Years and I'm sure I've seen Ponyo listed. By that Ghibli week when Film4 premiered on Freeview was great. All I'd seen at that point was Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

No new characters apart from the new characters they introduced. Also Microsoft and Sony have released HD remakes. And not everyone bought these games when they first came out. Would I be wrong to want Super Mario RPG on the VC because it is an SNES game? No, because it never came out in Europe originally. Not every Nintendo fan owns every Nintendo game. That's just silly

To add to this, I don't think the people who develop those things are the same teams that are making the new stuff. EAD didn't do OoT 3D and I don't think they're doing WW HD. So...everybody wins.

Mitsuho

Banned
For me, as far as actually recognizing something as anime, it's probably the Saturday Anime block that SciFi ran for a while in the 90s. In particular, Akira and Iria: Zeiram the Animation, which remains one of my favorite anime. I'm sure there's a healthy dose of nostalgia there, but I'd still kill for a BD release of it.

I'm pretty nostalgic about Iria too. I don't recall it being bad at all, though there may have been a couple of WTF moments. I've seen the live action movies so it might be running together a bit. Didn't suffer it's lack of not being a full season as much as Please Save My Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom