• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Mazinkaiser SKL 1

y2gGXaxl.png

zTV7b6dl.jpg

5op80HFl.jpg

iTLaYWcAWMcbP.gif

hnngh

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 9

So after two viewings of this episode, I'm not quite sure how much closer I am to understanding what exactly is going on with this show. I'll spare the long, drawn out summary and instead ask questions and maybe pose theories that will probably have Regulus and Hitokage bashing their heads against their desks going "You. Stupid. Motherfucker."

-Why were their three coffins for Utena's parents' deaths to begin with? Why was there a third coffin there?
-More importantly, why did the coffins have the rose seal on them?
-What is with the near-identical similarity in how Utena and Himemiya were shown in their coffins, laying in that position among rose petals?
-Moreover, WTF at that whole scene with Himemiya in the coffin?
-What is Touga's deal? And who or what is this "End of the World" he now seems to be in contact with?

Probably my only major theory right now that is probably fucking wrong is that this "End of the World" is Utena's prince. Mainly because he seems to be pulling all the strings, his giving of the rose seal ring to Utena could be some part in his grand scheme, and Touga seems to be very familiar with everything that's going on, including Utena's situation (mainly him saying "Because your prince was a lot like me, right? " is what's tying them together for me, because I don't think he's this prince, and as has been mentioned, he is in contact with him).

With that all said, I would just like to say, fuck Saionji.

sonicmj1

So after two viewings of this episode, I'm not quite sure how much closer I am to understanding what exactly is going on with this show. I'll spare the long, drawn out summary and instead ask questions and maybe pose theories that will probably have Regulus and Hitokage bashing their heads against their desks going "You. Stupid. Motherfucker."

-Why were their three coffins for Utena's parents' deaths to begin with? Why was there a third coffin there?
-What is with the near-identical similarity in how Utena and Himemiya were shown in their coffins, laying in that position among rose petals?
-What is Touga's deal? And who or what is this "End of the World" he now seems to be in contact with?

Probably my only major theory right now that is probably fucking wrong is that this "End of the World" is Utena's prince. Mainly because he seems to be pulling all the strings, his giving of the rose seal ring to Utena could be some part in his grand scheme, and Touga seems to be very familiar with everything that's going on, including Utena's situation (mainly him saying "Because your prince was a lot like me, right? " is what's tying them together for me, because I don't think he's this prince, and as has been mentioned, he is in contact with him).

I can't give you answers now, but you're asking good questions.

As for things like the rose seal and the extra coffin, you should probably think more symbolically than literally. That's kind of how Utena rolls.

Narag

I recommend you pay attention but don't get caught up analyzing as that can wait until the end.

Syrinx

I can't give you answers now, but you're asking good questions.

As for things like the rose seal and the extra coffin, you should probably think more symbolically than literally. That's kind of how Utena rolls.

You're tellin' me...

Edit:

I recommend you pay attention but don't get caught up analyzing as that can wait until the end.

Haha, I was kinda hoping somebody would say that. I might be trying to figure out too much with too little, but at the same time I don't want to miss anything crucial.

Defuser

Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo ? 1 - 5
Ok, this show is interesting, got my attention on how the gift games work and the road to victory.

Izayoi is damn OP with his gifts, I don't care for the other 2 girls because they're boring buuuuut dat lovely lovely lovely Kurousagi couple with the fact she is voice by Iori Nomizu.....Team Kurousagi!

Gintama 4
tumblr_mhxnkkV8fg1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Dull episode really. Why focus on the worst character in the cast with every trait that makes a bad character. Anyway the preview has me hyped for my favorite two characters seem to make an appearance. Shinsengumi ftw.

cajunator

Banned
Mondai-Ji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo ? 1 - 5
Ok, this show is interesting, got my attention on how the gift games work and the road to victory.

Izayoi is damn OP with his gifts, I don't care for the other 2 girls because they're boring buuuuut dat lovely lovely lovely Kurousagi couple with the fact she is voice by Iori Nomizu.....Team Kurousagi!
Fuck yea son.
Black rabbit is goddess tier!

Narag

Mazinkaiser SKL 3

Is there anything more pure than Nobuyuki Hiyama calling super robot attacks? I think not. That might be one of the greatest final scenes in history too as
the Mazinkaiser SKL is deployed to it's next target from a high altitude astride a motorcycle that changes into a skeletal winged horse on its descent.

---

Final thoughts? Better than I expected, I'd say. It's sort of a love letter to old 80s/90s OVAs where the story is disposable and you're supposed to kick back and enjoy the ride. There's no great themes explored or lessons to be learned, it's just an excuse to return to some old school violence and to have some giant fucking robots knocking the hell out of each other. The entire impetus of this seemed to be a reminder that bad guys are fools that need wrecked, have asses that need beat, and possibly shit that needs shoved in from time to time but always in the most badass manner possible, ideally with large explosions accompanying.

It's pure manime/super robot fodder and I couldn't recommend it to anyone that doesn't enjoy that sort of thing as the story really is sort of a mess and there's some nasty CG. The repurposed Go Nagai designs made for some great fanservice though.

Andrew J.

As the series goes on it will become increasingly necessary to take the depicted events symbolically and thematically, rather than literally, especially anything that occurs in a flashback.

Jarmel

Banned
Jarmel, now I see it wasn't the best of times to watch this series, because look at what is coming soon:

キングゲイナーのBOXを切り出して組み立ててみた。こんな感じになるのかな。シンシア可愛いね。 #kinggainer... on Twitpic
http://twitpic.com/c1ua7w

キングゲイナーのBOX、反対側はこんな感じ。サラ好きだー! #kinggainer... on Twitpic
http://twitpic.com/c1uakv

Oh well. I would like to see ep.14 in HD but really that's it. They're probably going to butcher the upscale too.

But . . . there was no drama.

Exactly. There was a confrontation that dragged on for far too long with an unsatisfactory resolution that resulted in nothing. There was nothing in this episode other than swimsuits.

Pet Girl of Sakurasou 17
tumblr_mhqeefs4CK1rj0najo2_r1_500.gif

Monday anime on Friday, so behind. Anyway, decent episode on multiple fronts. Kanda should make the clear choice and pursue that route as it is clear better than the other option on the table. Miyahara was awesome character and truly deserves more screentime. Whole scene with Kanda was pretty good as as memorable as the scenes with Kanda and Jin have been. Hopefully there are more as we go on.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 10

Remember when I said "Fuck Saionji"? Well fuck Nanami too. Sick, selfish, weirdo psycho.

I don't feel like saying anything more.

Narag

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman

I love the OP and ED of this show. They're probably my favorites this season. Just wish the show was anywhere near as good.

Quality picked up in the past couple episodes such that it's become sort of a predictable comedy versus the garbage it was. Sadly don't see it exceeding that ceiling but here's hoping!

Jintor

Infinite Stratos 01

Harem + giant robots = fun

Dub not very good, switched back to Japanese, but show is alright

I'm guessing you cannot tell me whether or not you are getting a sneak peek of those MadMan Ent. subs!

ノ コメント

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom