• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

The second season being dated, yes, but the second PSP game is new. The first game's sales, as a benchmark to keep in mind:

07./00. [PSP] Ro-Kyu-Bu! # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) {2011.10.27} (¥6.090) - 17.593 / NEW
I wonder if they'll get Akira Ishida for AO.
See here:
A bunch of flyers being handed out at various anime stores have confirmed 14 members of the Devil Survivor 2 The Animation cast:
Hibiki Kuze -- CV: Hiroshi Kamiya
Daichi Shijima -- CV: Nobuhiko Okamoto
Io Nitta -- CV: Aya Uchida
Yamato Houtsuin -- CV: Junichi Suwabe
Anguished One -- CV: Takahiro Sakurai
Makoto Sako -- CV: Miyuki Sawashiro
Keita Wakui -- CV: Fuko Saito
Fumi Kanno -- CV: Rikako Yamaguchi
Yuzuru Akie -- CV: Mitsuaki Madono
Hinako Kujou -- CV: Ami Koshimizu
Otome Yanigaya -- CV: Yuka Iguchi
Airi Ban -- CV: Kana Asumi
Jungo Torii -- CV: Daisuke Namikawa
Ronaldo Kuriki -- CV: Rikiya Koyama

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 18

Poor Minorin. ;_; I actually feel kinda bad for her. I wonder when we'll find out why she's been so weird for the past several episodes...Also
go away Ami, you're in the way
. >_<

Taiga~~

cajunator

Banned
Talk about adding insult to injury. I assume Ikuhara's translated commentaries aren't present on there either?

Can either spend 600 bucks and get a whole japanese series with all the on disc trimmings or pocket change for a complete series with minor shortcomings.

wonzo

Banned
Talk about adding insult to injury. I assume Ikuhara's translated commentaries aren't present on there either?
Yeah, the only extras are the Clean OP&ED and the Japanese Promos.

edit: Huh, does anyone know what the deal is with this "Ikunichawder" thing?

IKUNICHAWDER.png

jgminto

Jojo 18

Lisa Lisa has a nice hometown. Cars proves why he is the ultimate Pillar Man. Goddamn
Mecha-Stroheim
!

I am never buying separate volumes of anime again! I just got the complete collection of Baccano! and now I'm going to have to deal with having an extra first volume!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Bluray exists for a reason: to deliver high definition content and surpass what DVD is able to provide. If it botches that then there's no point in having it on bluray.

Bobbed 1080i is 540 lines of resolution. Not much more than DVD.

Articalys

Probably just a special project name for the main people behind the concept, the same way that Madoka has the concept credited to the "Magica Quartet" team (which is Shinbo+Urobuchi+Ume+Iwakami).

BluWacky

Yeah, the only extras are the Clean OP&ED and the Japanese Promos.

It's a romanisation of &#12452;&#12463;&#12491;&#12481;&#12515;&#12454;&#12480;&#12540; (i-ku-ni-cha-u-daa), which is the name credited to "Original Work" for the show. I thought it was normally romanised as Ikuni Chowder.

I'm speculating, but I think it's basically like BE-PAPAS, but I don't know if it's supposed to include Lily Hoshino, Kei Takahashi (the novel author) etc. or it's just another cute name for Ikuni himself.

cajunator

Banned
Bluray exists for a reason: to deliver high definition content and surpass what DVD is able to provide. If it botches that then there's no point in having it on bluray.

Its worth it for the durability and more episodes per disc.

wonzo

Banned
Probably just a special project name for the main people behind the concept, the same way that Madoka has the concept credited to the "Magica Quartet" team (which is Shinbo+Urobuchi+Ume+Iwakami).
It's a romanisation of &#12452;&#12463;&#12491;&#12481;&#12515;&#12454;&#12480;&#12540; (i-ku-ni-cha-u-daa), which is the name credited to "Original Work" for the show. I thought it was normally romanised as Ikuni Chowder.

I'm speculating, but I think it's basically like BE-PAPAS, but I don't know if it's supposed to include Lily Hoshino, Kei Takahashi (the novel author) etc. or it's just another cute name for Ikuni himself.
Yeah, I kinda figured that was the case. Thanks for the info!

Taruranto

ShinSekai Yori 19

Another good episode, though hopefully they won't drag the whole thing too much (i'm talking about the guy origin and appearance, i think everyone already figured who s/he is.)

A shame about the bad episodes on the first half, really. The animu is turning out to be great.

Branduil

Yeah, 1080i is only 540 lines per field. In theory, though, you should still get every detail present in the original 1080p source, since every frame of the original 24fps footage should have at least two fields dedicated to it. But that's only in theory, and in execution the screens posted show it's a botch job with atrocious encoding(which should also in theory be the other huge advantage of bluray).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, 1080i is only 540 lines per field. In theory, though, you should still get every detail present in the original 1080p source, since every frame of the original 24fps footage should have at least two fields dedicated to it. But that's only in theory, and in execution the screens posted show it's a botch job with atrocious encoding(which should also in theory be the other huge advantage of bluray).
Well, I said bobbed 1080i not native 1080i. Very few people if anyone will be watching it on a 1080i CRT so a deinterlacing algorithm is likely getting involved somewhere even if it shouldn't.

Branduil

Well, I said bobbed 1080i not native 1080i. Very few people if anyone will be watching it on a 1080i CRT so a deinterlacing algorithm is likely getting involved somewhere even if it shouldn't.

That's true, but unless you have a really bad deinterlacer it should still display all the original pixels, just with deinterlacing artifacts added.

Well, at least it's still probably better than the Haibane Renmei bluray.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's true, but unless you have a really bad deinterlacer it should still display all the original pixels, just with deinterlacing artifacts added.
If it's line doubling then the field lines are made to occupy the same screen positions, preventing them from being perceived as different.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why bother? Princess Tutu has already done it in terms of traditional fairy tales.
I don't really care either way, but the way the pilot introduced fairy land and books and all that crap made it seem like that was the "gimmick" of the show. I just wondering if they meant that more as a character premise than a series premise... since in the end, they just made Miyuki obsessed with books and didn't bother after that.

Gintama 261

So, I teared up a bit. That was nicely done.

I feel like the series is coming to its end, or gearing up for it. Not only was the amount of politics talk unusual of the series, this focus on Gin's
past and Shoyo was unprecedented. And now that the Kiheitai have made their move, I don't see this ball slowing.
Are you just watching Gintama at this point?

Anyway, I'm sure the series makes enough money that they could One Piece this sucker if they had to... lol

I'm curious how you reached that conclusion, but I'll keep an eye out for the review either way.
Twitter, I assume. I bet they're #bestfriends!

cajunator

Banned
Ok I just got home and looked at the pic comparisons on my big monitor. I can see the compression but it still doesnt look bad. Im putting the discs in right now to see if it really looks off or not.

Jex

I'm curious how you reached that conclusion, but I'll keep an eye out for the review either way.

Well I'm just following the chain here. On the ANN SuperNerd episode Zac said that he was going to review Blood C because of the Colony Drop blog post about the subject which came about because duckroll bothered Dave into reviewing it.

Branduil

If it's line doubling then the field lines are made to occupy the same screen positions, preventing them from being perceived as different.

Well, that's why line doubling wouldn't be a very good deinterlacing method in this case.

I would hope most displays are capable of inverse-telecine these days.

cajunator

Banned
OK I just played the Seizon Senryaku part and it definitely has compression but it doesn't seem like a big deal. the backgrounds are a little pixelated and fuzzy up close. but this is a 55 inch TV. Its definitely not a dealbreaker.

Narag

Quick confession here: I found SKL to be rather poorly put together and, as a result of some pacing and story issues, really dull. I suppose it depends on the kind of Giant Robot show you enjoy, I suppose, because if you have no trouble with something just being about robots fighting with very little story then this might be for you. Still, I didn't think the fights were that impressive and I found that Shin Mazinger Z, in all it's crappily animated glory, was about 1000 times more exciting.

Won't argue that. I like Kawagoe a lot but he's forever a poor man's Imagawa.

Well, at least it's still probably better than the Haibane Renmei bluray.

For the info what happenned in that case ?

Narag

Nothing, really. I'm not a big fan of Mazinkaiser or Mazinkaiser SKL. Now, the Mazinkaiser itself is just a very powerful Mazinger and from the Mazinger series I will recommend Yasuhiro Imagawa's Shin Mazinger.

The best Mazinkaiser property was the remake of the old Mazinger Z vs the General of Darkness movie as it treats the Mazinkaiser appropriately and holds its appearance off until the end as it really is the most powerful robot around. Just a bit of globetrotting to get Kouji home alive to it otherwise the world is going to end. This is in contrast to the old movie where
he gets absolutely wrecked and Great Mazinger has to step in.

Apparently its a terrible upscale or something.

rofl .. what's the point of upscales in blu-rays ??
( not trying anything here ) but upscales are nice on their own but not when you do commercial releases.

is it just lazyness ? incompetence ? or did they lose the source material and couldn't reencode or rework the scenes ?

Jintor

Toradora 02 - 06

Ai-chan flipping between personalities is the most hilarious thing. Midorin's eccentricities and... glasses-kun's... sort of beneign chessmasterness is also hilarious. Also, TAIGA~

Mandoric

Banned
( not trying anything here ) but upscales are nice on their own but not when you do commercial releases.

is it just lazyness ? incompetence ? or did they lose the source material and couldn't reencode or rework the scenes ?

The people who don't know video like it better, and the people who do know video sigh and put up with it 'cause at least it's not bitrate-starved and possibly interlaced anymore.

Edit: Or do you just mean the whole 720p/1080i/1080p mess? Because that will take a whole long post and some double-checking of what I can say.

DiGiKerot

As far as anime goes, a lot of the time the assets - at least in a fully composited form - are not in a higher resolution than what was standard broadcast resolution at the time they were made. The amount of work it'd take to recomposite the entire series, presuming it is even possible, would likely cost far more than they'd likely be able to recoup through sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom