• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

SSY ep 19
HOLY FUCK, that was scary and tense. The doctor is fucking retarded, why can't he say what it is? And why did that lady have to stay behind...I hope she doesn't get killed.

Jarmel

Banned
Looking at the Gargantia stuff, I was wondering, do the Japanese (both fans and studios) care about CG in their shows? I was just curious whether there had been arguments inside the industry about not only the usage of CG but also the quality. I could understand the validity of CG if they handled it well but surely even the animators must know how it sticks out at times.

Articalys

The two main leads for Arata the Legend:

Hinohara Arata (modern day kid who gets thrown into the magic world): Nobuhiko Okamoto
Arata (magic world kid who gets thrown into the modern day world): Yoshitsugu Matsuoka

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Man, just imagine how different a show we would have had if they'd kept the fairy tale stuff up for more than a couple of episodes. Although considering how Suite hung itself by its own theme, maybe that's for the best.
It would have sucked shite. The best part of Smile was how it wasn't bound by any stupid theme, so they did whatever the fuck they wanted to do. Sometimes it was dumb "hurdurr Reika and her student council problems" stuffz, but all the other time we had amazing fuckery like
giant fucking robots, go kart racing, and the cures turning babies

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I believe this is one of the issues of their translation:

http://www.hungrybugdiner.com/2013/01/06/the-penguindrum/

Along with some very liberal lines such as this or this.

And there were also some complaints about video quality too.
You break my heart. :( Goddamnit.
Not after what she did to the kitten. That was disgusting. Deserved everything she got in the show.
I'm a dog person. Plus, everyone in Utena is insane.
Toradora! 17

Hey, finally a new OP and ED! And they're pretty good too.
Silky Heart > Pre-Parade
Orange > Vanilla Salt

Everyone who disagrees is a freakwad.
Why isnt it acceptable? Its a really cheap set.
For the price its totally acceptable.
cajunator, I love you and all, but your perception of cheap is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay skewed.

Narag

One thing I really don't get about [JoJo's Bizarre Adventure] - 18 is that they
name the episode 'Stroheim's counter-attack' and then whenever Stroheim appears they hide his face as if it's some big mystery. Weird directorial choice.

Sounds like a Toei-style episode title.

Articalys

Yeah, it's official now. Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W will be airing this April.
pnXBale.jpg
http://nyaruko.com/

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
But none of them made me hate them as much as she did! But I guess that was the intention. He Ojousama laugh did come a long way though.
I don't think I would like Nanami as a person in real life, it's just what she contributes to Utena that makes her the most memorable character.
I'm a sucker for schadenfreude

duckroll

Looking at the Gargantia stuff, I was wondering, do the Japanese (both fans and studios) care about CG in their shows? I was just curious whether there had been arguments inside the industry about not only the usage of CG but also the quality. I could understand the validity of CG if they handled it well but surely even the animators must know how it sticks out at times.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Japanese though. Is Clone Wars a Japanese show? Is it made in Japan? Are the fans Japanese? I don't think so. People who don't like CG trying to turn it into some sort of cultural argument is dirty politics!

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not sure what this has to do with Japanese though. Is Clone Wars a Japanese show? Is it made in Japan? Are the fans Japanese? I don't think so. People who don't like CG trying to turn it into some sort of cultural argument is dirty politics!

People have ripped apart Clone Wars though. There's quite a few people who would want to go back to the animated style of Genndy Tartakovsky, myself being one of them. The reason I was interested in the Japanese perspective is that one, I don't speak Japanese fluently to see if a large contingent is unconcerned and that I can't read the interviews from the animators themselves. Also animated cartoons in general in the US have gone down the shitter in the past decade anyway as there seems to have been a paradigm shift to real-life kids/teenager shows.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 21

Holy shit, so much happened in this episode. Poor Taiga. ;_; Poor Minorin. ;_; On the plus side, Ryuji now knows that Taiga loves him. Now to see how he reacts!

Taiga~~

Jarmel

Banned
Apparently, after the Gurren Lagann rerun episode this week, they aired a teaser spot for the new Imaishi show, with the same image from Newtype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxKmecYgkuo

So I guess we're going to find out more in May.

Damn -- a three-and-a-half-minute-long new PV for Suisei no Gargantia.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxeav2#.URZnv4YoaTg

Well at least it looks better than Psycho Pass I guess. The mechs really do look awful.

Argh.... fucking Shin Sekai Yori. I need the next episode already.

Also it was mentioned that the show sold like shit, but did it sell like shit compared to other anime, or sell like shit given the normal expectations for a super niche show?

Jarmel

Banned

Also it was mentioned that the show sold like shit, but did it sell like shit compared to other anime, or sell like shit given the normal expectations for a super niche show?

Sold like shit for anything. 500 copies nationwide.

Narag

I thought it was bombing so hard it didn't even make it on the charts most weeks due to not reaching a minimum sales threshold.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Not really, it's just that neither Futari wa nor Dokidoki are giving me my weekly fill of awesome magical girl antics (plus giant fucking robots). I'll keep on watching everything.

Futari wa has hella antics once you can get past the generic first two or three episodes, but by all means, watch in whatever order interests you the most. We need more people who like Fresh
and not because of yuri shipping

duckroll

People have ripped apart Clone Wars though. There's quite a few people who would want to go back to the animated style of Genndy Tartakovsky, myself being one of them. The reason I was interested in the Japanese perspective is that one, I don't speak Japanese fluently to see if a large contingent is unconcerned and that I can't read the interviews from the animators themselves. Also animated cartoons in general in the US have gone down the shitter in the past decade anyway as there seems to have been a paradigm shift to real-life kids/teenager shows.

CG is the future of animation. That's not to say it will completely replace traditional animation, but as technology gets more and more digital, to ignore full digital art forms would be a serious mistake. Both animators and studios don't want to be left behind and caught with their pants down as technology improves. The only way to get better at something is to do more of it. There are more CG exclusive animation studios now than there were before, and they're getting better and better. As long as they provide entertainment which is fresh and different, there will be an audience for it. Fans who only want traditional animation and aren't interested in embracing integration and evolving techniques will eventually find themselves left behind too.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

ugh.. I'm not sure.

GTKb595.png

There's plenty of shot that just jarring. not blending with the character or whatever.

Looks fine to me:

jflo9oW.jpg

EEPPpgX.jpg

fRvg2lG.jpg

rvAkje3.jpg

zeroshiki

I saw trailers for Kaze Tachinu and Kaguya Hime today.

Did we already know that the lead in Kaze Tachinu was NOT a pig? Well, he's not. Both trailers were really short. Kaze Tachinu was just a kid launching a plane and then flying across a countryside (think Porco Rosso flying instead of Kiki during the Kiki opening).

Kaguya Hime is very stylized. Like, the poster itself is representative of how the movie is animated. Its... something new most definitely.

There was no dialogue in either and they just repeated the catch copies that we all already know.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora! 22

JUST TELL EACH OTHER HOW YOU FEEL, FOR FUCK'S SAKE. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. YOU LOVE EACH OTHER AND DESERVE TO BE HAPPY TOGETHER FOREVER, GODDAMNIT. ;___;

TAIGA~~

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Futari wa has hella antics once you can get past the generic first two or three episodes, but by all means, watch in whatever order interests you the most. We need more people who like Fresh
and not because of yuri shipping
Futari wa Fridays
Fresh Saturdays
Domingos de Dodidoki
Toradora! 22

JUST TELL EACH OTHER HOW YOU FEEL, FOR FUCK'S SAKE. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. YOU LOVE EACH OTHER AND DESERVE TO BE HAPPY TOGETHER FOREVER, GODDAMNIT. ;___;

TAIGA~~
But then we would have no show.

duckroll

I saw trailers for Kaze Tachinu and Kaguya Hime today.

Did we already know that the lead in Kaze Tachinu was NOT a pig? Well, he's not. Both trailers were really short. Kaze Tachinu was just a kid launching a plane and then flying across a countryside (think Porco Rosso flying instead of Kiki during the Kiki opening).

Kaguya Hime is very stylized. Like, the poster itself is representative of how the movie is animated. Its... something new most definitely.

There was no dialogue in either and they just repeated the catch copies that we all already know.

Not a pig? Pre-order cancelled. Maybe he starts as a kid and grows into a pigman. Social commentary!!!

Fairy Tail 168
tumblr_mhyg5vr5rB1qkbwm5o1_500.png
tumblr_mhycznRyAC1r7mcjqo1_500.gif

Pretty good and fast paced episode though week after week were left with the cliffhanger to keep the main attraction of the title of the episode for the subsequent week. Eve-kun was so epic and I love his magic and his memory of Ichiya, men. lol.Hopefully Blue Pegasus gets even more screentime.

zeroshiki

Not a pig? Pre-order cancelled. Maybe he starts as a kid and grows into a pigman. Social commentary!!!

It looks like Miyazaki is playing it straight. There's been no hint of any kind of fantastical element anywhere. It's all serious business. The words that popped up were also, like, "In reverence to Hori Tatsuo and Horigoshi whatsisface". This will be a first for him, I think. (Assuming we don't count the screenwriting credit for Poppy Hill).

Ultimadrago

I really don't want to be burning through the show as fast as I am, but I just can't help it...this'll absolutely be my second favorite anime ever (nothing will ever top Nichijou).

Seraphis Cain, you are simply wonderful.

Hmm, do I stick to one or pick two just in case?

Dakku can choose the best husbando for me. As an Akihiko rep, he chooses them well!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Goldfish Warning!] 16 OR I'm Seeing Things 16
This show is basically what would happen had Ikuhara decided to make Nanami the focus of Utena and every episode were about finding new ways to keep on trolling her. I love it!
I don't think this guy's medical licence is real.
Wait, so Japanese girls rebel in the opposite way of girls everywhere else in the world? Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom