• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

To celebrate the induction of another firm believer in quality action animation, the character designer of Stranger has drawn a new illustration:

http://twitpic.com/c28o5j/full
WyiMK8Y.jpg

Almost as good as announcing a sequel.

Cwarrior

You know what I thought Sword of the stranger was a good surprisingly really good for an anime movie yes something good came out of bones BONES out of all places.

Probably one of the only things animegaf has every recommend to me that didn't turn out :duckroll.

One of the better anime movie's I've seen sadly it's probably a freak accident fluke by Ando judging by his other work.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I feel kinda shallow for liking the original anime more because in Brotherhood
no one dies after Hughes. So many wasted opportunities for delicious tragedy, hahaha. But, seriously: I loved the original show's ending. The whole thing with the "real" world... That shit was cray.
In comparison, Brotherhood's ending was pretty boring. It felt disappointing after all the build-up.

You do bring up a good point. ;P

Narag

[Dangaizer 3] 1

oaFYCSfl.png

This really isn't represntative of things so far. So much ass in this....

cbEQAVml.png
FvkjdEHl.png

Oh wait, there we go.
I wonder if this counts as a vanity work for Obari. ANN lists his credits as: Director, Series Composition, Storyboard (eps 1, 4), Episode Director (eps 1, 4), Original Work, Mechanical design, Ending Illustrations, Key Animation (ep 4), Mechanical animation Director (ep 1), Opening Animation.

Jarmel

Banned
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos-

Well it wasn't bad I guess. The animation is through the roof at times especially during the fight sequences. Like some of them are flat out amazing especially near the end. I'm not a fan of the artstyle they used in the movie but it was a nice change I suppose compared to the rest of the series. The visual quality for the most part was relatively high except for a few deformed things here and there. The soundtrack was okay but I wasn't particularly blown away by it.

As for the story, this is pretty much off the rails. It's nonstop twists which gets somewhat old, especially when you see them coming. There also seemed to be some DBZ powerlevel stuff which was ridiculous. Like the powerclashing stuff felt like it belonged in a completely different series. Also some characters felt brought in purely for fanservice purposes or as plot mechanics that weren't really fleshed out properly. There also seemed to be some canon-conflicting stuff. That said, it was an interesting side-story and I enjoyed seeing the old crew again. What really makes the FMA franchise for me is the Elric brothers and I enjoyed watching them on screen again since FMA is done. It's certainly better than the other FMA movie.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I mean, I was 100% certain
Mustang would kill Hawkeye or the other way around when Envy was playing them. My tears were basically ready at that point. But nothing happened, haha.

I admit I was expecting either that or
one to wound the other.

Fox318

Lotte no Omocha!

What the hell... wait what is wrong with him...that's his step daughter and she is like 10...

Whatttttttttt

Narag

Incidentally, and I mean really incidentally, titles like these are why I use brackets. Just because I prefer the readability of [Dangaizer 3] - 1 to Dangaizer 3 1. It's just less confusing!

That's a good point. I was wondering how to approach that the other day! Thanks!

Wow good partial shot of mahiro and yoshino

JJBA 18
tumblr_mhyuscdruE1r5op54o1_500.png
tumblr_mhyuscdruE1r5op54o2_r1_500.png

Actually pretty good episode. I could have had Lisa Lisa wearing more clothes as this was not what I signed up for when selecting JJBA to watch and continue this season, actually she ought to have been considering the duration of that scene, difficult to believe clothes were nowhere within reach for the whole time. I wish she did serve a role other than the fanservice aspect as, based on the portrait of her during the ed with the pose and sunglasses, she could actually be a somewhat decent character, and of all the character personalities, she has one of the better ones for female characters as usually characters of this personality give some entertainment.

Anyway the scene with Ceaser and Joseph was the best part, Ceaser was so happy and relieved. Wish it was longer and Joseph reciprocating.

Wish they didnt push the Suzie Q Joseph so much, so sudden and abrupt and unnecessary. Regardless, the other big surprise, if the title of the episode hadn't spoiled, was really well done. Hope this biomech Strongheim is better than before and manages to deal tons of damage

/XX/

The world design is gorgeous. The mechs are great. The story is laughably simple.
Thanks for your impressions, zeroshiki!

Have you made yourself with the movie pamphlet? Maybe they had it available there, and I suppose it is still the same one distributed for those new theater openings:

『ゴティックメード −花の詩女−』レビュー
http://cozyymt.blogspot.com.es/2012/11/blog-post.html

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora 25 one last time

It just hit me that Taiga was gone for OVER A YEAR after she left without saying anything. I just...I can't...no. I'm going to bed now. Fuck.

This show has fucked with my feels worse than BRS TV fucked with my brain.

Jex

[Joshiraku] - 12/Finale

joshirakufinale_zpsff47454e.png

An above average ending for an above average series.

As you might have noticed I have quite a bit of difficutly writing about a comedy series. There's not too much to say besides "I enjoyed this sketch" and "this sketch didn't quite work". I mean, I know you can get into the mechanics of comedy quite a bit but I'd rather not.

Suffice to say that the most notable thing about this series are the production values, something which I find much easier to comment on! Gag shows of this sort tend to look a bit crappy because, well, it's all about people talking to each other. The show highlights on multiple occasions how it isn't really suited to the medium of animation. Nevertheless J.C. staff really went above and beyond in terms of both animation and design. The girls wear multiple unique costumes every episode and there's oodles of unnecessary (but very enjoyable) animation for even fairly basic movements. It's delightfully excessive.

Branduil

A friend of mine sent me a fifty dollar Amazon gift certificate, so I finally broke down and used it to split the cost of the Sword of the Stranger BD and pay up another sixty bucks for it.

I really hope I don't regret this.

Wow what the heck is with that ridiculous pricing?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 01:

The new premise is some major, major bullshit, and the almost in-your-face apathy of the characters toward articulating why the things that have changed have changed is kind of insulting, although I think that I already know how it's all going to be explained away.

That was an extremely intense transformation, though. I can't believe I never spoiled myself on it previously.

Ultimadrago

Vivired Operation 1

vivikpunf.png

How dare you show those buns off to a little granny!

Between Encouragement of Climb and this, I've had my fill of girls afraid of heights. Besides that, this was definitely an opening episode...to something. It even comes up with a reason to have a
talking animal

But, as promised, it had butts.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I played a little more Morenatsu, this time taking Kouya's route, which tends to overlap with Shun, that and there just a lot more Shun events.

Man, the dialogue (and internal monologue) with him is the worst. This must be what being Arararararagi feels like.

For reference this is Shun.
1292346813834_f.jpg

He's technically only one year younger than you but he's way shorter and he acts 10.

Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork

Funimation's release of the Sora no Otoshimono movie arrived today in the mail. It comes packaged in a Blu-ray case with a Blu-ray sized o-card, so it looks a bit out of place next to the first two season releases which came in DVD-sized cases.

The first forty minutes of the film are a recap of the first two seasons of the series
told from the viewpoint of Hiyori Kazane
. Sadly, this takes up almost half of the film since it is only just over 90 minutes long. The picture quality from the recaps also varies since the first season was created in SD and the second season is in HD, to my knowledge. English subtitles appear to be locked since I only had the option of choosing between 5.1 English or 2.0 Japanese, but don't quote me on this as I watched the movie in English.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie even though only half of the film was truly original content. I would like to see the manga released in the U.S. and eagerly wait for season three, if that is supposed to air this year still.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 01:

The new premise is some major, major bullshit, and the almost in-your-face apathy of the characters toward articulating why the things that have changed have changed is kind of insulting, although I think that I already know how it's all going to be explained away.
Mepple literally goes "don't worry about that!"

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Futari wa Pretty Cure - 26

This may have been happening before but it wasn't until now that I noticed that Honoka's high pitched voice changes to a deeper, authoritarian, no nonsense tone when she's dealing with her enemies. When she was talking to
the Dark King
I almost thought it was another person. :lol

mAcOdIn

So, uh, I'm bored so I think I'm going to pimp Rocket Girls some more, this time I'll try and be more persuasive.

It has
vDaBoe9.jpg

Slight :firehawk

You get some
UBXSVxO.png

:sdburton

And a new one that I've dubbed
0ws3D5o.png

:a black falcon for
fake incest
but it also fits :sdburton

Kotoura-san 5 was somewhat underwhelming but it remains my favorite show of the season so far.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I came so close to buying this earlier today. It was so expensive, but shipping from Japan is just as expensive, haha.

Still, it was nice, looking at it in the store :|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As in actually have plot progression and character development that doesn't get reset for the convenience of a joke?
Oh please, Gintama has both. Given that it's a comedy first, I'm impressed with that actually.

Yeah, Gintama's all I'm really keeping up with nowadays. The only other anime I've watched in recent time was an ep of The Ultimate Hyobu Kyosuke, which seems like dumb fun.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong about the end-game talk. Well, I'm conflicted. One hand, I don't want sorachi to endlessly pad; other hand I just don't want the series to end lol.
Since it's a shounen, it'll last forever, surely. lol

From the New World 19
tumblr_mhysb6kj841rnb727o1_250.gif
tumblr_mhysb6kj841rnb727o2_250.gif

Episode be all scary and stuff. Really well done. Cant wait to watch it again when durbbed, should be quite a good experience. Hopefully it is still on track to release in 2013.

I wonder what IT is.
Could Shun be trying to get revenge on them and allied with the bakanezumi? Or perhaps Mamoru went karma demon or whatever. Im totally at a loss for what it is. I dont think it was even answered why they were bandaged alive and what not, just speculated as hostages, but then why if IT is killing any and every living thing present.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mepple literally goes "don't worry about that!"

You'd think that he of all people would be wondering what the fuck was going on after
suddenly emerging from his magical coma that was supposed to last for all eternity

Also, I have to share this because this has to be one of the most amazing pieces of QUALITY animation I've ever seen in the franchise. Just watch Cure White's flip here:

OolVuAq.gif

superb

Oh please, Gintama has both. Given that it's a comedy first, I'm impressed with that actually.

No, it opens up a bunch of plot points and then never closes them. It took 260 episodes to give us any kind of information about Gintoki's past. What this past arc does is possibly introduce a main villain group, but it doesn't give us closure on anything that wasn't already established in said arc. The Bakufu is the same as it always was with the exception of a single character that we didn't even know existed prior to the arc.

The only arc that had any real progression, as in it had consequences in disrupting a known about power structure, was the Four Devas arc.

Syrinx

K-ON!! 22

Oh God, I know how this is gonna end and it ain't gonna be easy to watch.

Least the four seniors all passed and I guess they're all going to the same university now. Poor Azusa though won't go with them cause she's still got another year. That was a nice scene with her, Jun, and Ui, letting her know she'll still have friends.

Smile Precure! 02

The power of the sun.

I guess you guys weren't lying about how fast the whole fairy tale stuff get dropped. Show is still high energy which I like and I know we're still in the infodump and recruiting everyone phase of the show before I see what this show is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom