• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I talked to Oda last week. I was like moshi moshi when is OP ending? And he said it'd end when there's a female president in the US.

How would he ever be able to tell since he doesn't know what females actually look like?

Mature

Sazae and Doraemon don't count since they're 6 minute episodes (according to wikipedia).

Soreike! Anpanman is the true winner for 1100 episodes at 30 minutes a pop.

Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter 17

Touma and his love of megane is always hilarious and that Song of Kakeru had better be on a character album please. This episode and next episodes gyrozetter designs are interesting.

Jintor

Toradora 07-10

This show is sooooooooo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

pgCwAF1.gif

I had to look away for a minute because I couldn't stop laughing. TAIGA~

PsionBolt

Dokidoki! Precure - 2

- Decade continues to be the perfect cyborg superhuman. The
"Oops, I jumped too high"
scene is a common one, but I love it nonetheless.

- Blade continues to be the perfect (attempted) badass. Have you ever seen a magical girl
throw the MotW off a building to defeat it
? Or
tell her fairy friend to shut up
? ...I actualy think Cure Black did both at some point, but it's still great. That's a high standard to match.

- That quality shot everyone posted last week appears in this episode. No wonder I didn't remember it, if it was from the preview.

- Re: Monsters. On the positive side,
I am liking how dangerous they seem. Untransformed humans being attacked is always nice.
For the negatives,
the motivations are still weak. I hope they don't have the victim do that "Man, if only I could be selfish! But I can't, so nevermind" monologue in every episode.

- At least the resulting monsters are awesome though.
It can shoots lasers that inflict Stop. Even Cure Decade isn't immune! Even though she's wearing a ribbon...

- I haven't found a good nickname for Blue yet (nor learned her name). That's a bit problematic. Also, she should wear her glasses all the time.

- Ranking remains Decade = Blade > Blue >>> Pumpkin.

- Solid 8/10, slightly behind last week. I'm still excited.

Of the ones I have watched, the only cartoons that I can compare it to in terms of just sheer length is King of the Hill and The Simpsons, and on those terms I think Gintama is as good as the former and much better than the latter.

To me, Gintama is a sitcom where the "very special episodes" are almost always the same, but executed in such an astonishingly deft and efficient manner that I don't mind the repetition.

Every arc ends the same way, with bonds of friendship and blahblahblah, but the writing and the individual moments are strong enough that I would be okay with listening to Sugita spout off bad-ass one liners for the rest of my life.

I mean, hell, the fact that they can just air reruns in the middle of new episodes just eschews the sitcom-esque nature of the show as a whole. How many reruns of The Simpsons are on each day, despite the fact that you only get one new episode a week and even then, only for like 20~ weeks out of the year?

So I don't really remember anything about One Piece, which I guess is what you want to compare the show to, but doesn't it take like 300 episodes to even have the entire crew assembled? And then they had to time jump anyway just to shake things up? At one point does development become indulgence? I mean, I assume Luffy stays the ever genki ur-shounen blank slate cipher for at least a significant number of episodes, yes? (In the same way that all super hero characters were boring for a while. Who knows how long it took before the Batman mythology of the dead parents and Liam Neeson training him finally just become his canon storyline that everyone knows at this point?)

I guess they're directly comparable in terms of being shounens and being somewhat long running, and maybe every single episode of One Piece contributes to the quilt that is the rich Gomu Gomu story, but Gintama isn't about that for me. The main trio is fun to watch, in the same way that there was a time when Homer saying "Doh" and Bart saying "Eat my shorts!" was fun to watch all those years ago (or Hank Hill pedaling propane propane accessories to people), and I'm okay with that.

Although, I suppose it doesn't hurt that girls want to see Hijikata and Gintoki fuck each other's brains out. As long as they can have hot guys poke each other with their penises phallic objects swords, this show will always have an audience. lol

The difference between Gintama and animated sitcoms like the Simpsons or King of the Hill is that it actually tries to have an overarching plot. If we were just talking about something fully episodic like that, I wouldn't have anything to complain about because I'd understand what kind of show it is. The problem is we get mixed messages on whether or not we're supposed to take it seriously. There's some very well-defined world building going on in places, which is either ignored shortly after it happens or is an outright troll as was the case with the Elizabeth arc.

With this recent arc and many old ones, it's clear something very big is going on behind the scenes, but if it were to follow the path of the rest of the series, it will just stay in the shadows for possibly hundreds of episodes. It's the same shit that happened to Inuyasha.

In the case of One Piece, there's a very real and well-done sense of progression. You talk as if the crew not being fully assembled (and it still likely isn't) means we're still in the introduction, but we aren't. There has been growth, escalation, and a clear sense of knowing the beginning of the story is a distant memory in-universe. Getting new crewmates is secondary to the journey to Raftel. If people join along the way, that's cool, but it isn't what's on Luffy's mind right now. Gintama on the other hand feels as if it could have just started with the developments that have stuck. Maybe something like 4 or 5 volumes in.

It's just hard for me to get invested in the plot anymore when keeping that all in mind, and the jokes are starting to wear thin as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There are a few raw episodes of it on Youtube. On this channel. No English subs as far as I can tell though.
I have no idea what is going on.

Parents are at a wedding?
Their son is being looked after by his grandfather.
They have a bath together.
Kid has creme caramel while the grandpa has a beer.
Cat goes "GWAH?"
Some other bloke is on the phone.
Some other people pop over and see the kid and grandpa asleep.
There is water in the bath.
Grandpa apologies.
Kid wakes up.

The end.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water] 21

Nautilus
requiescat in pace.
Random thoughts:

• This shot should be very familiar to Evangelion fans. Another one for the Anno is a lazy hack pile.
  • When they said
    Super Catch Beam
    or whatever, I was expecting a
    tractor beam
    , not a giant
    magnet
    . The funny part is that Gargoyle's ship used a
    tractor beam a few minutes later on Nadia. I chalk that up to the Nautilus having a much larger mass, but the use of the word beam
    was quite misleading.
  • Electra was super scary in this episode. It doesn't help that the next episode preview
    completely gave away her betrayal.
    This is Jojo 18 all over again. :(

-Minsc-

Of the ones I have watched, the only cartoons that I can compare it to in terms of just sheer length is King of the Hill and The Simpsons, and on those terms I think Gintama is as good as the former and much better than the latter.

To me, Gintama is a sitcom where the "very special episodes" are almost always the same, but executed in such an astonishingly deft and efficient manner that I don't mind the repetition.

Every arc ends the same way, with bonds of friendship and blahblahblah, but the writing and the individual moments are strong enough that I would be okay with listening to Sugita spout off bad-ass one liners for the rest of my life.

I mean, hell, the fact that they can just air reruns in the middle of new episodes just eschews the sitcom-esque nature of the show as a whole. How many reruns of The Simpsons are on each day, despite the fact that you only get one new episode a week and even then, only for like 20~ weeks out of the year?

So I don't really remember anything about One Piece, which I guess is what you want to compare the show to, but doesn't it take like 300 episodes to even have the entire crew assembled? And then they had to time jump anyway just to shake things up? At one point does development become indulgence? I mean, I assume Luffy stays the ever genki ur-shounen blank slate cipher for at least a significant number of episodes, yes? (In the same way that all super hero characters were boring for a while. Who knows how long it took before the Batman mythology of the dead parents and Liam Neeson training him finally just become his canon storyline that everyone knows at this point?)

I guess they're directly comparable in terms of being shounens and being somewhat long running, and maybe every single episode of One Piece contributes to the quilt that is the rich Gomu Gomu story, but Gintama isn't about that for me. The main trio is fun to watch, in the same way that there was a time when Homer saying "Doh" and Bart saying "Eat my shorts!" was fun to watch all those years ago (or Hank Hill pedaling propane propane accessories to people), and I'm okay with that.

Although, I suppose it doesn't hurt that girls want to see Hijikata and Gintoki fuck each other's brains out. As long as they can have hot guys poke each other with their penises phallic objects swords, this show will always have an audience. lol

You've explained my reasons for liking the show better than I did. :) Gintama really is an odd duck. When viewed from afar it has the appearance of a typical shounen. Once you get up close you realize, while there are similarities, it's actually quite different.

Cosmic isn't really wrong. Gintama could easily have a deep overarching plot and that would be awesome. What we have instead is a loose overarching plot. I have no control over the direction Gintama heads so I don't let it sour my enjoyment. The episodic or "capsule" nature of the arcs is one of the reasons I like Gintama so much. I can walk in and out of any episode or arc (in any order) and not feel lost. There is great rewatchability, I can't say the same for other shounen series.

With this recent arc and many old ones, it's clear something very big is going on behind the scenes, but if it were to follow the path of the rest of the series, it will just stay in the shadows for possibly hundreds of episodes. It's the same shit that happened to Inuyasha.

We certainly have completely different mind sets.

Edit: I'm going to add this in here.

No, it opens up a bunch of plot points and then never closes them. It took 260 episodes to give us any kind of information about Gintoki's past. What this past arc does is possibly introduce a main villain group, but it doesn't give us closure on anything that wasn't already established in said arc. The Bakufu is the same as it always was with the exception of a single character that we didn't even know existed prior to the arc.

The only arc that had any real progression, as in it had consequences in disrupting a known about power structure, was the Four Devas arc.

Life is a bunch of choices. You can choose whether to be jaded and cynical or not, I can't stop you. Take what you will from it.

Varion

And it's that time again:

Dokidoki Precure 02:
Really starting to warm up to this now. Not like the first episode was bad or anything, but it didn't exactly grab me that much as I was hoping. This one I really enjoyed the whole way through though, it was silly but it was definitely fun to watch. Mana and Rikka are really likeable, the mascots are pretty funny, and the talking themed monsters are making for better fights than throwaway generic monsters would. Also the ED is still the best.

Bring on Ep3.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
This is what happens when you read spoilers out-of-context.:p (which I imagine you do a lot firehawk12!)

Sazae-san Episode 6,153 or "Golf Episode"

From what I could make out on this episode:

Masuo (Sazae's Husband) goes to play golf with Namihei (Sazae's Dad). They go back home but the next morning the golf clubs are missing. Masuo looks for the golf clubs until Norisuke (Sazae's Cousin) comes back with a trophy and the golf clubs. He then gives the trophy to Masuo because he used his golf clubs. The End

Sazae then plays rock paper scissors with us at the end.

So the new thing is for those who don't know a lick of Japanese to watch random Sazae-san and try to work out what is happening.

Yes. For me at least :p. Anyone else want to try one?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the new thing is for those who don't know a lick of Japanese to watch random Sazae-san and try to work out what is happening.

We certainly have completely different mind sets.

Maybe comparing it to something like Inuyasha isn't fair. I actually still like Gintama a decent amount, but it dismissing some shounen trappings that I like actually makes it harder for me to get into at this point. It is by no means a bad show, but I don't think my complaints are that outlandish. I can see the "you're wishing for it to be something it isn't" thrown out as a counter, but I don't really believe that either, or at least not 100%.

Bakuman 3 - 18
tumblr_mhwnokTdME1r57f87o1_500.gif

Well I dont think I would have made that decision. Surely it could have been possible.
They could have done both Reversi and PCP in Weekly Shonen Jack. I like PCP better thus far, school atmosphere, a bit darkish, cool characters. It will feel drawn out in a monthly format especially for the middle school arc. But whatever they decide
. Dance scene was best scene.

I wonder if there has been any va to voice the lead role of more than one Shonen Jump adaptation.

-Minsc-

Maybe comparing it to something like Inuyasha isn't fair. I actually still like Gintama a decent amount, but it dismissing some shounen trappings that I like actually makes it harder for me to get into at this point. It is by no means a bad show, but I don't think my complaints are that outlandish. I can see the "you're wishing for it to be something it isn't" thrown out as a counter, but I don't really believe that either, or at least not 100%.

We all like what we like, are who we are, and defend what we believe. :) As a phlegmatic I like to see people get along. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sound like that The Walking Dead guy!
The Walking Dead could probably outlived Kirkman if people are still invested in zombies 50 years from now. lol

I'm not complaining though, I love this manga!
Never watched the anime though.

Long live Shin Chan.
Shin Chan forever, bro!

The difference between Gintama and animated sitcoms like the Simpsons or King of the Hill is that it actually tries to have an overarching plot. If we were just talking about something fully episodic like that, I wouldn't have anything to complain about because I'd understand what kind of show it is. The problem is we get mixed messages on whether or not we're supposed to take it seriously. There's some very well-defined world building going on in places, which is either ignored shortly after it happens or is an outright troll as was the case with the Elizabeth arc.

In the case of One Piece, there's a very real and well-done sense of progression. You talk as if the crew not being fully assembled (and it still likely isn't) means we're still in the introduction, but we aren't. There has been growth, escalation, and a clear sense of knowing the beginning of the story is a distant memory in-universe. Getting new crewmates is secondary to the journey to Raftel. If people join along the way, that's cool, but it isn't what's on Luffy's mind right now. Gintama on the other hand feels as if it could have just started with the developments that have stuck. Maybe something like 4 or 5 volumes in.

It's just hard for me to get invested in the plot anymore when keeping that all in mind, and the jokes are starting to wear thin as well.
Before The Simpsons got all stupid, it had plot threads as well. The one that comes to mind is Bleeding Gums Murphy and his relationship with Lisa. King of the Hill had Khan, who went from Asian stereotype to becoming an integral member of the group later on.

As for Gintama, this was a show that basically shat on the whole idea of endings by writing an ending as a gag episode. You don't like our Evangelion-esque ending? Well, here's the obvious ending that everyone can see a mile coming - Takasugi and Gintoki fighting each other to the death. It's an acknowledgement of how banal the plot would be if it became the heart of the show because, by genre convention, that's the only ending they're basically allowed to have.

Perhaps there can be a feeling of mixed messages - certainly after Benizakura you're expecting some big showdown, because that's what these things (shounen or American funny books) typically lead to - but I feel like they've since addressed what Sorachi thinks about the idea of this confrontation several times already.

It's funny, because I think a lot of the "serious" arcs serve as both a change from the episodic comedy as well as being somewhat parodic pieces themselves. Given that so many of these arcs start off the same way - some gag premise draws Gintoki or the rest of the team into some trollish situation before shit suddenly gets real and people are bleeding and spouting one liners at each other - I feel like there's this little wink and nudge directed to the audience every time one of these arcs happens.

But I think that's part of the social contract that I've made with the series. What is it, in my heteronormative upbringing, that makes male-centered heroic bloodshed tropes so appealing to me? Each and every one of these arcs are formulaic to the point of banality, yet as this Courtesan arc has shown, there is still some raw excitement derived from watching Gintoki get torn down, only to stand up as a result of the bonds of friendship and manliness, and save the day. It both reifies the fetishization of the male hero that we see in all of this kind of media and across all cultures, but it's perfectly self-aware enough that it knows its using and reusing these tropes in order to manipulate the audience.

I've never read Deadpool or really know anything about the character, but I get the impression - based off of American funny book podcasts - that he exists in the Marvel universe in much the same way that Gintoki exists in this greater... well, "Jump" universe.

I joke on IRC about the fact that no one can seem to explain the "One Piece" and why it's so valuable... and perhaps it's because it's meant to be a Macguffin and the point isn't finding the One Piece but the bonds of friendship and Nakamaism that Luffy makes with his crew and the people he meets/saves along the way. And given its longevity and popularity, it's clear that the story works on a very fundamental level - the same way that Batman and Superman have lasted for decades telling and retelling the same thematic stories over and over again.

I think Gintama is in on that formula too, but it is using that formula for completely different purposes. In a way, it's why I think the ending of the Courtesan arc is a bit of a troll, because it again acknowledges this supposed end goal of the series that only serves as the "One Piece" of the Gintama universe. It's there, and supposedly the characters are meant to head in that direction, but it's not really the point of the series.

You've explained my reasons for liking the show better than I did. :) Gintama really is an odd duck. When viewed from afar it has the appearance of a typical shounen. Once you get up close you realize, while there are similarities, it's actually quite different.

Cosmic isn't really wrong. Gintama could easily have a deep overarching plot and that would be awesome. What we have instead is a loose overarching plot. I have no control over the direction Gintama heads so I don't let it sour my enjoyment. The episodic or "capsule" nature of the arcs is one of the reasons I like Gintama so much. I can walk in and out of any episode or arc (in any order) and not feel lost. There is great rewatchability, I can't say the same for other shounen series.

I know it's strange to make this assumption, but I almost feel like Gintama is written for TV first and then turned into a manga for the purposes of keeping the funny book iteration of the franchise going. There is this manically episodic nature that keeps the show from getting too deep into the serialization hole that a lot of shows like this would easily get trapped in.

Of course, another way to put it would be that Gintama has a shit load of filler. But at least the filler episodes are still fun to watch. lol

Funny enough, this is probably one of the first times that I've given a lot of thought as to why I like Gintama as a series beyond the visceral reaction of "HOLY FUCK THAT WAS SO AWESOME" that comes from watching nearly every serious arc of the series.

I can almost - ALMOST - understand people that have kept up with The Simpsons for over 20 years and still find the show enjoyable. I haven't watched a new episode in maybe over a decade, but I have to assume everyone is in on the joke at this point now, right?

Edit - given my avatar, I suppose I should also just say that my fangirl shipping probably helps contribute to my non-intellectual enjoyment of the show. lol

Jintor

Toradora 11

Probably the first culture festival in anime that somehow ended up with a
pro-wrestling tournament
as its activity. Amazing.

Taiga~

Mature

Sazae-san 6130 or Firmitas, Utilitas, Venustas: Architecture and Sazae
The episode started with an intense sequence of transporting oranges and blue prints across a complicated pulley system attached to the Sazae residence's neighbor.

I'm assuming that was a lucid vision dreamt up by Sazae's brother, because the next scene involved the child explaining the contraption at a conceptual level to a drunken doctor— suggesting it has yet to exist. Or so I gathered. There was a lot of dialogue regarding furnishing a house and the placement of said furnishings. Perhaps a discussion on Feng Shui?
The episode ends up at a school where a teacher is wearing what appears to be a ceremonial headdress. The class applauds Sazae-san's brother. He is now a famed architect.

I lost the rock paper scissors match.

-Minsc-

I can almost - ALMOST - understand people that have kept up with The Simpsons for over 20 years and still find the show enjoyable. I haven't watched a new episode in maybe over a decade, but I have to assume everyone is in on the joke at this point now, right?

Edit - given my avatar, I suppose I should also just say that my fangirl shipping probably helps contribute to my non-intellectual enjoyment of the show. lol

It's familiar. I just as easy could be as dedicated to say Naruto*, some American sitcom, or a sport as I am to Gintama. Something about Gintama just clicks with me and I keep coming back to it over and over.

* I still watch Naruto but the vigor isn't there as it once was.

Cardfight!! Vanguard Asia Circuit 73 (eng dub)
tumblr_mhzcdvLs611qbxqfpo1_500.png

Just a typical midround match up using the same strategy and cards and skills. Oh well hyped for a match with Team SIT Genius (Singaporean Institute of Technology) with Christopher Lo, Lee Shenlong, and Ali Fazl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's familiar. I just as easy could be as dedicated to say Naruto*, some American sitcom, or a sport as I am to Gintama. Something about Gintama just clicks with me and I keep coming back to it over and over.

* I still watch Naruto but the vigor isn't there as it once was.
Yeah, I watched every episode of Cheers, Frasier, MASH, Rosanne, The Cosby Show, and probably countless other sitcoms that ran long past their sale-by-date. At some point, the characters doing the exact same thing in different situations becomes enough. lol

I suppose that doesn't even include the 28 seasons of Star Trek that I've seen. lol
(Or the nearly 20 seasons of Stargate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom