• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water] 22
2i8w9Qb.png
That's either a really ingenious way of corner-cutting or Gunbuster 6 all over again. Or both! Classic GAINAX was so awesome.

Jesus fucking Christ so much tension.
I seriously was thinking Electra was gonna kill herself.
And she almost did! Lately I've been saying that each episode of Nadia has been better than the previous one, and this one was no exception. Anno is at his fucking best right now.

What's up with the lack of promotional or fan pictures for the next episode preview? Don't tell me... we at the island arc now? :( Oh God.

Narag

Yeah, I watched every episode of Cheers, Frasier, MASH, Rosanne, The Cosby Show, and probably countless other sitcoms that ran long past their sale-by-date. At some point, the characters doing the exact same thing in different situations becomes enough. lol

I suppose that doesn't even include the 28 seasons of Star Trek that I've seen. lol
(Or the nearly 20 seasons of Stargate)

jesus

Jintor

Toradora 12

So not only do they get to stage something ridiculous for the culture festival, but it's actually pulled off really well too. That's amazing.

Can't wait to see what's up with
Minorin's abrupt personality shift and Taiga's dumb-ass sleazeball father.
I like that Yasuko is pretty much the greek chorus for the show, lol

Taiga~

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The best thing about not having cable is that you don't get caught in the rerun hell that defines sitcom watching.

And you know, the amazing thing was the massively popular shows that had new episodes and syndicated episodes going at the same time. I know that at one point, Frasier was a daily show for me. Will Daphne and Niles ever get together?! Will Frasier ever get along with his father and that dog? Repeat for 20 episodes a season for like 11 years. lol

I assume they still do that now. You could probably watch 10 episodes of The Big Bang Theory a day if you wanted to.

Sazae-san Episode 6,668 or "The Pop Quiz of Death"

The episode starts in the classroom where Katsuo (Sazae's brother) is talking about Nakajima (one of Katsuo's classmates). He then seemingly gets spured on to do well at a test. Of which then gets
92% and somehow he isn't happy with that mark

Weirdly Namihei enters a barber shop for some reason at the end. No idea why. The video cut out before the rock paper scissors match started.

Narag

The best thing about not having cable is that you don't get caught in the rerun hell that defines sitcom watching.

And you know, the amazing thing was the massively popular shows that had new episodes and syndicated episodes going at the same time. I know that at one point, Frasier was a daily show for me. Will Daphne and Niles ever get together?! Will Frasier ever get along with his father and that dog? Repeat for 20 episodes a season for like 11 years. lol

I assume they still do that now. You could probably watch 10 episodes of The Big Bang Theory a day if you wanted to.

What sucks is when you catch the old stuff in syndication then check the new stuff thinking hey this should be good. Shit burns so much when you realize how a show has gone to hell and its surviving off former glory. :(

-Minsc-

Yeah, I watched every episode of Cheers, Frasier, MASH, Rosanne, The Cosby Show, and probably countless other sitcoms that ran long past their sale-by-date. At some point, the characters doing the exact same thing in different situations becomes enough. lol

I suppose that doesn't even include the 28 seasons of Star Trek that I've seen. lol
(Or the nearly 20 seasons of Stargate)

- Haven't watched Cheers since it's first run when I was a kid.
- Never got in to Frasier.
- Watched MASH as an adult. This show truly stands the test of time.
- Watch the first run of Rosanne, most of The Cosby Show, Home Improvement, Fresh-Prince, Perfect Strangers, Full House, etc. etc. I've fallen out of sitcoms ever since That 70's Show finished.
- Watched all of Star Trek: TOS, TNG, DS9 (my fav), Voyager, and Enterprise.
- Watched all of Stargate SG-1, most of Atlantis, and all of Universe.
- Watched X-Files back in the day, though I have little interest to go back to that show now (kinda the same with Seinfeld).
- Babylon 5 and Firefly were great too.

But I think that's part of the social contract that I've made with the series. What is it, in my heteronormative upbringing, that makes male-centered heroic bloodshed tropes so appealing to me? Each and every one of these arcs are formulaic to the point of banality, yet as this Courtesan arc has shown, there is still some raw excitement derived from watching Gintoki get torn down, only to stand up as a result of the bonds of friendship and manliness, and save the day. It both reifies the fetishization of the male hero that we see in all of this kind of media and across all cultures, but it's perfectly self-aware enough that it knows its using and reusing these tropes in order to manipulate the audience.

I'm really surprised you can say this and still be unable to get into other shounen series. Unless of course named attacks are that big of a turnoff for you. You're describing the genre completely right there.

I joke on IRC about the fact that no one can seem to explain the "One Piece" and why it's so valuable... and perhaps it's because it's meant to be a Macguffin and the point isn't finding the One Piece but the bonds of friendship and Nakamaism that Luffy makes with his crew and the people he meets/saves along the way. And given its longevity and popularity, it's clear that the story works on a very fundamental level - the same way that Batman and Superman have lasted for decades telling and retelling the same thematic stories over and over again.

I don't think you should really be making OP comparisons if that is your impression of the series. It isn't 100% wrong, but thematic variety is a big part of the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What sucks is when you catch the old stuff in syndication then check the new stuff thinking hey this should be good. Shit burns so much when you realize how a show has gone to hell and its surviving off former glory. :(
Oh yeah, there's nothing as jarring as watching a rerun from a show's first or second season and then watching a new episode from the show's current season and seeing those changes side by side.

I hope Gintama never actually reaches that point, but even I will acknowledge the diminishing returns on any kind of premise/situation comedy. But hey, if The Simpsons can go on for 20+ years, I can't imagine why Gintama couldn't do the same... short of a dramatic shift in the standards of comic books for boys that would make it completely anachronistic (suddenly all shounen protagonists are strong female leads and the male characters are the sidekicks!).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm really surprised you can say this and still be unable to get into other shounen series. Unless of course named attacks are that big of a turnoff for you. You're describing the genre completely right there.

No because
but it's perfectly self-aware enough that it knows its using and reusing these tropes in order to manipulate the audience.

Which is the antithesis of practically every other shounen.

Narag

I hope Gintama never actually reaches that point, but even I will acknowledge the diminishing returns on any kind of premise/situation comedy. But hey, if The Simpsons can go on for 20+ years, I can't imagine why Gintama couldn't do the same... short of a dramatic shift in the standards of comic books for boys that would make it completely anachronistic (suddenly all shounen protagonists are strong female leads and the male characters are the sidekicks!).

That shift of standards would be so good.

No because

Which is the antithesis of practically every other shounen.

Many series are perfectly aware they're reusing tropes/arcs to manipulate the audience. They just don't outright parody it.

To be fair, it's not like Gintama does that either outside of 1 or 2 serious arcs. I don't really agree with firehawk's interpretation there.

Narag

Unless of course named attacks are that big of a turnoff for you. You're describing the genre completely right there.

As an aside, I find it so strange that I really don't care for the called attack* to the point I make note of it when said attack gets used in a show without the usual shout of its name.

*unless it's a hot blooded super robot pilot

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sazae-san Episode 6,668 or "The Pop Quiz of Death"

The episode starts in the classroom where Katsuo (Sazae's brother) is talking about Nakajima (one of Katsuo's classmates). He then seemingly gets spured on to do well at a test. Of which then gets
92% and somehow he isn't happy with that mark

Weirdly Namihei enters a barber shop for some reason at the end. No idea why. The video cut out before the rock paper scissors match started.
Hahahahaha, outstanding.

Man, I really need to get on this Gintama train. Shows with such large episode counts are intimidating to start with though.
I do feel like it's a show that you can jump in and out of. It's weakness is also its strength in that regard. It's like how I could watch an episode of The Simpsons made in 2013 and not really miss a beat because the characters are mostly the same.

- Haven't watched Cheers since it's first run when I was a kid.
- Never got in to Frasier.
- Watched MASH as an adult. This show truly stands the test of time.
- Watch the first run of Rosanne, most of The Cosby Show, Home Improvement, Fresh-Prince, Perfect Strangers, Full House, etc. etc. I've fallen out of sitcoms ever since That 70's Show finished.
- Watched all of Star Trek: TOS, TNG, DS9 (my fav), Voyager, and Enterprise.
- Watched all of Stargate SG-1, most of Atlantis, and all of Universe.
- Watched X-Files back in the day, though I have little interest to go back to that show now (kinda the same with Seinfeld).
- Babylon 5 and Firefly were great too.

Oh man, there was a time when I watch watch Home Improvement and Fresh Prince reruns. Being a latchkey kid in the 90s was probably more damaging to me than anything else in my life. lol

X-Files was a show like that for me too, once Canada got its own version of the SyFy channel and started airing random reruns of popular science fiction shows.

Cheers was fun inasmuch as you'd see Diane and Rebecca episodes mashed up together... along with Coach and Woody episodes.

I will say, I'm almost glad that there's a sudden explosion of content that's readily available now. You really don't have an excuse to sit and rewatch the same stuff over and over again now unless you've just given up on watching new stuff.

(I suppose that also indicates how disposable our culture is now, but what can ya do. :p)

Part of it is the episode length, because god knows that Gintama is probably the longest running single series that I've seen in my life and the prospect of adding another show like that to my schedule is daunting.

The other part, with regards to One Piece anyway, is that the fights are just way too long. When you boil down the Courtesan arc, for example, there was really only 2 episodes of fighting... and the big showdown itself was only a single episode (and even then, it was maybe half of that episode). Sorachi is able to hit those exact same action beats with a exacting efficiency that I've just come to appreciate.

Keep in mind that I watched DBZ as live as one could watch it in the 90s - in as much as I rented pirated VHS tapes from Chinatown stores that taped the show straight off of HK satellite TV - so the indelible stain of watching fights go on for dozens and dozens of episodes has probably ruined me for shounen for the most part. I'm not saying OP gives me DBZ flashbacks or anything, but even that arc with Usopp near the beginning was a bit long for my tastes.

I don't think you should really be making OP comparisons if that is your impression of the series. It isn't 100% wrong, but thematic variety is a big part of the series.
Well, watching those few later episodes out of context, it certainly felt like the whole friendship thing was the center of the morality plays that these fights typically end up being. But of course, I can really only be sure of the first twenty episodes or so of the series though.

fertygo

I think most people agree Gintama are Comedy series, outside occasional serious episode.. Its a gag series, even if you complaining "why they do this then?" Its mean the author want this unique formula and its working, so why you just didn't understand that?

Well, watching those few later episodes out of context, it certainly felt like the whole friendship thing was the center of the morality plays that these fights typically end up being. But of course, I can really only be sure of the first twenty episodes or so of the series though.
You're right though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No because Which is the antithesis of practically every other shounen.

Many series are perfectly aware they're reusing tropes/arcs to manipulate the audience. They just don't outright parody it.

To be fair, it's not like Gintama does that either outside of 1 or 2 serious arcs. I don't really agree with firehawk's interpretation there.

SAO uses tropes to manipulate the audience for nefarious purposes.

I assume that most shounens uses these tropes genuinely, in that the authors believe in the mythos of masculinity and male heroism and want to tell stories about the bonds of brotherhood and so forth.

I feel like Gintama takes that just one step further by both celebrating it and mocking it, especially since the characters are so willing to shit on each other and essentially "break character" at any moment. Just think about what happens to the Shogun throughout the Courtesan arc, for example.

That shift of standards would be so good.
Gender-swap every character in Gintama. Best show ever?

Gintama 5
tumblr_mhzelsPHvT1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Best episode so far, if only the action and intensity was always present. A true one on one with Gintoki v Hijikata would really be one of the best things ever, and hey throw in Okita too who always makes it funny by being disappointed in missing Hijikata.

The ending song is really good.

Jintor

Toradora 13

Holy shit Ami-chan's costume :lol :lol :lol. Great way to let her be her real self in front of an audience.

Oh man Taiga's dad you asshole. Holy shit. What a fuck-up. I knew and Ryuuji knew he was projecting his own feelings about his dad onto her situation but he went and did it anyway. Sigh, people.

Good old slow-clap routine.

Holy shit, Ryuuji taking a level in badass... running. dayum. Ahah, and Minorin keeping pace. AHAHA LOL SOFTBALL TAKEDOWN STOP STANDING AROUND YOU IDIOT RYUUJI

Argh my feels. Midseason feels.

Syrinx

Spice and Wolf 2

That kinda turned dark there at the end, didn't it?

Lawrence accepting the kid's deal at the end was interesting, 'cause he knew he was lying. I know he really didn't make commitments (he hadn't given him his money), but that talk he had with Holo seemed to make him consider something.

The ED is really weird.

I'm sorry. Something about this show makes it hard for me to give any sort of detailed impressions. It's not because it's bad, but...I dunno. I don't really get the dynamic between Lawrence and Holo yet I suppose.

Spice and Wolf 2

That kinda turned dark there at the end, didn't it?

Lawrence accepting the kid's deal at the end was interesting, 'cause he knew he was lying. I know he really didn't make commitments (he hadn't given him his money), but that talk he had with Holo seemed to make him consider something.

The ED is really weird.

I'm sorry. Something about this show makes it hard for me to give any sort of detailed impressions. It's not because it's bad, but...I dunno. I don't really get the dynamic between Lawrence and Holo yet I suppose.

Do you even whistle round the world?

Kazzy

Neon Genesis Evangelion

So there I was, my impression of episode 15 written and about to post. But for whatever reason I decided to just power on through the episodes. I've just reached end of episode 20.

Yeah, it got weird.

wonzo

Banned
Even
Vetti lol
It was pretty funny how
he asked about what happened to Ralph once and just couldn't bring himself to care and raise it up again. I guess at that point of the show he was more infatuated by Cleo anyway.
lol

I only knew about that thanks to jman (rip) making a comment about a kugishota since I watched it dubbed. I forgot anyhow. ; ;
I wonder how Glass Fleet is with the original Japanese voices. I guess I'll just have to find this out for myself someday.

Part of it is the episode length, because god knows that Gintama is probably the longest running single series that I've seen in my life and the prospect of adding another show like that to my schedule is daunting.

The other part, with regards to One Piece anyway, is that the fights are just way too long. When you boil down the Courtesan arc, for example, there was really only 2 episodes of fighting... and the big showdown itself was only a single episode (and even then, it was maybe half of that episode). Sorachi is able to hit those exact same action beats with a exacting efficiency that I've just come to appreciate.

Keep in mind that I watched DBZ as live as one could watch it in the 90s - in as much as I rented pirated VHS tapes from Chinatown stores that taped the show straight off of HK satellite TV - so the indelible stain of watching fights go on for dozens and dozens of episodes has probably ruined me for shounen for the most part. I'm not saying OP gives me DBZ flashbacks or anything, but even that arc with Usopp near the beginning was a bit long for my tastes.

You should watch Episode of Nami. Gives me a Yoshiwara arc feel.

Jintor

I'm now watching all the Parallel Works for Gurren Lagann while I break from ToraDora for a bit. Man, this shit is great. The fantasyland samurai era version was amazing, and I love this 'all the bad guys are cast as the heroes' version too.

Shin Getter Robo 1

I was not expecting this degree of non-mecha action. Shit's got better choreography than most all-ground series fights.

This is going to be a good set of OVAs.

Narag

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation II - Lovers

pjJjzDMl.jpg

R4BnWvxl.jpg

First shot cuts to the enemy then back to the second. smh It should look like the first throughout. It's not just the old animation that gets me but how it's cropped whereas the new stuff for the movie is framed properly.

b1uv1lol.jpg

tmLkKP2l.jpg

AHk8HECl.jpg

1f2vuFjl.jpg

I like Four's redesign. Top two are movie, bottom two are TV. I think it's the softer features that have her come across as younger and more sympathetic, far more suited for a tragic character.

pUdHUJsl.jpg

Paptimus Scirocco is such a pimp.

Not real happy with the changes like what happened to Four but I'll admit this seemed better constructed than the first movie. Plenty of new animation, I'd say better editing, a surprisingly strong ending leading into the final act, and even if it's just coincidence given where events fall in the tv series, the subtitle was pretty accurate at hinting the main theme given the focus on the differing personal relationships of the characters and how they're affected by them:

• Kamille/Fa
  • Kamille/Four
  • Katz/Sarah
  • Amuro/Beltorchika
  • Quattro/Reccoa
  • Henken/Emma
  • Char/Amuro/Lalah

Probably just a conicidence though.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 11

Hey Utena, I gots a thought. If Himemiya is that important to you and you want to help her make a life of her own and help her make her own friends and such, how about you, I don't know, NOT LET TOUGA WIN?!

He ain't yo' prince. He's a creepy weirdo who's using your prince story against you so you'd let your guard down. He doesn't give a fuck about you. He wants your power and the Rose Bride, presumably because he's evil. I wasn't quite sure before, but now I'm pretty confident he's evil and a dick. And even if he was your prince, that doesn't mean you have to let him win. Beating doesn't mean stabbing him in the chest.

I'm mad now.

Narag

Shin Getter Robo 1

I was not expecting this degree of non-mecha action. Shit's got better choreography than most all-ground series fights.

This is going to be a good set of OVAs.

Finally. If you end up liking it, be sure to follow it up with Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo and New Getter Robo. They're independent of one another but share the same sort of attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom