• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Jojo 18
Lisa Lisa is hawt.

Space Brothers 44
I liked the very first scene where all we see is Hibito breathing. Nothing happened but I found it cool.
That was a feel good episode. Loved Buddy's reaction when he was filming Damian :lol

Jex

I am going to attempt to summarise all the characters and story in Mouryou No Hako up until the end of episode five so we all know where we are.

God help me.

Articalys

Cake und Panzer:
fU0diwH.jpg

/XX/

I'm not complaining though, I love this manga!
Never watched the anime though.

Long live Shin Chan.
Long live the King!

It was so sad what happened to Mr. Usui, and to add to the pain the episodes that featured him on the series made him (humorously) always being so miserable and dealing with so much working on the fictitious Fubuki-maru Ninja Boy graphic novel that you kind of took even more pity on him. Quite the effect it had even just being jokes at his expense.

Lately I've been saying that each episode of Nadia has been better than the previous one, and this one was no exception. Anno is at his fucking best right now.
I'm still keeping this quote of yours, in case you would change your mind:

Best thing Anno ever made.

And I think you are clo... ser...

What's up with the lack of promotional or fan pictures for the next episode preview? Don't tell me... we at the island arc now? :( Oh God.
... forget what I've said! You are entering the darkest of uncharted waters right now. That is probably going to taint your opinion on the show forever!

Oh right, that's the season I haven't watched because I'm still mad at Imaishi for what he did to the movies. :mad:
But precisely those were ideas worked on by other people that weren't Mr. Imaishi! As I told you time ago, please... watch them!

BluWacky

So was Penguin Drums last arc bad or something?

I never see you guys mention the anime anymore.

Well it ended over a year ago...

IMO it has a very good ending that's emotionally and narratives satisfying. However, the show always struggled with the pacing of its subplots; too little time is spent with Masako, Yuri and Tabuki, such that they are rather cast aside at the end and don't get enough time devoted to their own stories.

I've been waiting for the BD release to revisit the show, but god knows when that will be here if ever. It may not be as ripe for.interpretation as Utena (for instance, I'm pretty sure that all of PenguinDrum actually happens in the world of the show...) but I think there's still a lot to think about. Particularly as I've actually read some Kenji Miyazawa now!

Kurita

Long live the King!

It was so sad what happened to Mr. Usui, and to add to the pain the episodes that featured him on the series made him (humorously) always being so miserable and dealing with so much working on the fictitious Fubuki-maru Ninja Boy graphic novel that you kind of took even more pity on him. Quite the effect it had even just being jokes at his expense.
I remember him spending a lot of time in the toilets :lol

Finally finished Baccano! Truly amazing. I want more yet still feel satisfied. It's one of those rare shows that really excels on almost every avenue...except the CG. I think I'll have to get a Baccano! avatar to commemorate this but I don't know which character to go with, there are so many great ones.
Firo and Czeslaw, the best characters in it.

Sazae-san Episode 6,067 or "A Diary?"

From my small vocabulary of Japanese I could make out that this episode may have been about Katsuo keeping a diary. He noted down events and then got an idea when he saw an ant next to his shoe. He wrote about it, presumably, and then handed it to Namihei who
everyone expected that he'd get angry over what was written in the diary, he wasn't
. Katsuo continues to write in the diary.

The episode ended with Tama (The cat) next to a crab and Sazae looking for something in Pink Land.

I really like watching this actually. I can see why this has lasted for almost 44 years.

Watching Bleach the Movie Hell Verse's english dub and I can't unhear Yu Narukami now :/

It is making this more amusing though because now I'm visualising Yu chilling out here
Thats odd to think of persona 4 first, Iand not bleach or sengoku basara, etc. I always associate all of his roles to Ichigo first. Jpn Ichigo always reminds me of kingdoms shin. What is jybs most well known videogame role?

Rukia sounds perfect in English. I think a better role than her jp counterpart.

Jintor

I watched dubbed Persona a lot more than I watched dubbed Bleach.

From memory, dub Rukia is better than jp Rukia but that's not really saying much.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The show is called "ToraDora" also known as "Tiger Dragon". If it is a spoiler, its right in the name!

I know I know. Basically the reason I asked is because during the course of my viewing, I saw various comments, etc. on CR and other places hoping/thinking that RyujiXAmi or RyujiXMinori would be a thing. I was just making sure we didn't have any crazy people like that here, y'know? :lol

wonzo

Banned
Chihayafuru S2 5

chihayas25.jpg

That was a pretty intense episode. It certainly does seem they've learnt from the mistakes made during the first season as they've really gone all out these past few episodes to keep the Karuta matches as engaging as they can possibly be and so far they're doing a pretty great job of that. The pacing is better, music and sound cues are used far more effectively, the internal monologues doesn't get bogged down in needles exposition and they know how to mix things up visually so it doesn't get repetitive. If you've been somewhat tepid on starting on this second season due to the later half of the first one then you should definitely give this one a chance.

HUNTER X HUNTER - 66
Yet again a fast paced episode ..i'm still wondering how they will adapt the chimera arc at this pace but Well at least it works.

Hunter%20X%20Hunter%20-%2066.jpg

TRY AGAIN !

Many years after the mecanics of the risky dice were introduced ( in the manga ) i'm still not sure whenever i'll use one if i encouter such a device in real life .

Sure 1/20th chance is not much but the penality really makes you think before you use one.
What about you, GAf members , would you use the dice or not ?

MINAMI-KE TADAIMA - 06 "not the hands chiaki" !

Great episode .. i'm kinda liking the attention to details they got so i couldn't resist.

As you can see there are 2 mistakes in this picture.
Chiaki homework is quite simple yet she made mistakes in the easiest parts while doing the hard parts properly .

For answer 2:
(4/9) + (2/9) doesn't make (5/9) but (6/9) or (2/3)

For answer 3:
(6/10) + (2/10) doesn't make (2/5) but (8/10) or (4/5)

You have some work to do before to reach the level of haruka-neesama , chiaki-san.

Yes it's silly , yes i was bored but i couldn't resist And yes it's better than not doing anything at all like kana was about to do.

Jex

Mouryou no Hako

This show can be a real headache to follow at times so I thought I should compile what we know by the end of episode five.

Characters (In their order of Introduction)

Sekiguchi (The Writer)

Sekiguchi is a struggling writer who seems to occasionally write for newspaper due the number of reporters that he knows. I'm not entirely sure what his role within the story is of yet but he seems to be closely connected to a number of key players.

It's suggested that he played a role in another complicated investigation, the Zoushigaya case, but he denies that he was that helpful.

Episode 5 reveals that he has a wife. We haven't seen her up till now and it's unclear whether or not she's left him, although he tells his friend that she's just gone out to see a movie.

At the start of each episode we are presented with some kind of scene that Sekugchi is involved in. It's unclear what the purpose of these sequences is but they seem to tie into the story at least on a thematic level. They tend to extremely symbolic, rather than literal, and they certainly aren't easily understood.

I think it's interesting that we see Sekiguchi and his editors discuss the problems he's having putting together his the stories that he is writing. He seems uncertain how they should be arranged chronologically which reminds me quite a bit of the fragmented nature of how this story is being told. In which case, is Sekiguchi a stand in for the author? He even mentions that having a killer turn up murder a girl is a 'cheap ending' that he's dissatisfied with. What will satisfy him then?

On multiple occasions Sekiguchi muses over the nature of killing and whether he could ever kill anyone. Other characters even make passing references to this as a joke which seems pretty odd.

Sekiguchi knows Atsuko (the reporter) Toriguchi (the reporter) Detective Kiba (the police detective) and Kyougokudou (the bookshop owner?).

The man with white gloves

A mysterious figure. We catch glances of him from time to time and he's purportedly been seen at a number of crime scenes.
Yoriko claims he was the assailant.

Kusumoto Yoriko (The Witness)

Yoriko is a highschool girl. She's fairly average and unremarkable and she doesn't seem to have many friends or be particularly good at school. Therefore she becomes entranced by the dazzling Kanako who seems to prettier and more intelligent than anyone else. Yorkio is fascinated by her, especially by Kanako's claim that she is the reincarnation of Kanako and that Kanako is a reincarnation of Yoriko and that this cycle of incarnation will continue endlessly.

Yoriko hates her mother for being impure, for being a single women who is trying to attract men, for being old. They do not have a good relationship.

Yoriko is involved in an incident with Kanako
by the train tracks. They're both going to go out on the train to a place where they can kill themselves (seemingly) but before that can happen Kanako falls in front of a train. It's unclear whether she was pushed, or fell, or who did it.

Yuzuki Kanako (The
victim
)

Kanako is a mysterious figure. Beautiful, intelligent and independent she easily captures the eye of Yorkio who becomes obsessed with her. Kanako is sophisticated and elegant, but she holds a rather strange theory which is that she and Yoriko are the reincarnations of each other and always will be.

At the start of the series her home life is shrouded in mystery. Her guardian is a man called Amemiya. It's unclear how he came by this role. During the course of the first episode
Kanako ends up falling in front of a train and being severely injured. She is then taken to a hospital where here life is stabilized. At the end of episode three she is kidnapped and her whereabouts remain unknown.

During the course of episode five we learn more about her past and it is revealed that
she was conceived as the result of an affair between an ordinary women and a man of considerable social standing. Shibata Youkou was a wealthy and powerful man but all his important family members died, apart from his grandson Hiroya. Hiroya is the one who attempted to elope with Kanako's mother but he could not. Youko attempted to pay off Kanako's mother but she wouldn't accept money. Therefore he offered to take care of Kanako's social and medical fees on the condition that she could never meet with Hiroya again. Hroya died at war. Youko then decided to give his fortune to Kanako. For Kanako to inherit this fortune, however, it would have to be proved that Kanako was indeed Hiroya's child. If Youko dies before Kanako this will becomes effective, if it's the other way around then it does not.

Kanako knows Yoriko, her sister Yuzuki Youko /Minami Kinuko and her guardian Amemiya.

Amemiya Noritada (The Guardian)

We don't know much about Amemiya. He's Kanako's guardian, apparently, and he seems extremely concerned with her well being.

Detective Kiba (The Police Detective)

Detective Kiba a police officer from Tokyo. He's spends his time trying to peace together the evidence to work out what is exactly is going on in the main case that develops over the course of the series. He spends quite a bit of time interviewing people and he can read people very well from their body language, he also pays attention to their language carefully. Still, he seems a little dense when it comes to women and he has some trouble understanding Yoriko and Kinuko.

He'd like to try and play the hero to rescue the girl, like a character in the old movies he used to watch. He remembers Minami Kinuko from the time she used to be in movies and seems to maintain a crush on her that he developed at that time.

He's still haunted by the visions of the war he fought in previously.

He knows Sekiguchi, that other detective, and he knows of Minaki Kinuko.

Masouka (The Attorney)

From his interactions with Kiba early on he seems to be quite an unpleasant, blunt character who is only concerned the details of Kanako's case. He doesn't really appear to care about Kanako so much as what her current condition is. He is extremely dedicated to his job.

Minamki Kiunko / Yuzuki Youko (The Damsel)

Kanako's sister and only living relative, or so it seems. She used to an actress in the movies but that was all some time ago. Her family arrangements seem...complicated. She begs Kiba to help her with the case.

In episode 4 the director, Kawashin, suggests that someone was forcing her to be an actress.

During the course of episode five it is revealed that Kanako was born as the result of a one off affair. As such it doesn't seem likely that she's Kanako's real sister after all.

Yoriko's Mother

It is unclear that the man she father Yorkio with is dead or has simply left. She's currently courting a man who sells her doll parts which she uses in her workshop.

She believes that her home has been poisoned by an evil spirit, a Mouryou, and this has contaminated daughter Yoriko. To the audience, of course, a much more logical explanation is that there's no evil spirits, Yoriko is just going through a phase where she rebels against her parents and their values.

Sasagawa

The man courting Yoriko's mother.

Toriguchi Norihio (The Reporter)

A reporter who is investigating the case of the dismembered bodies. He is friends with Sekiguchi and appears to be dating (or at least attempting to date) Atsuko, another reporter.

Atsuko (The Reporter)

A reporter who is investigating the case of the dismembered bodies. She is the little sister of and Kyougokudou.

Ishii (The rival policemen)

Some Kanagawa police guy who doesn't like Kiba at all. He seems far more incompetent than Kiba and he completely falls apart under pressure.

Mimasaka (The doctor)

The head of the box hospital.
It's revealed in episode four that at some time during the war he appeared to be working on creating an immortal soldier. ?Or so Kawashin says.

Suzaki (The assistant doctor)

The assistant chief doctor at the box hospital.
He is killed shortly after Kanako goes missing.

Unnamed Prostitute

A women who is apparently murdered by the man with white gloves.

Kiba's Friend (The policeman)

fellow law enforcement office who appears to start linking the two cases together.

Kawashin (The Film Director)

A director who used to know of Kinuko/Youko.

Enokizu Reijirou (The Private Detective)

A private detective who Masouka hires to investigate the Kanako case. He is either clairvoyant or extremely skilled in reading people and making intuitive connections. He appears to use a variety of tactics to annoy Masouka so as to keep him off kilter during their discussion.

He's also the bishiest character yet.

Kyougokudou (The bookshop owner?)

A man of great investigative insight, or possible clairvoyance. From the brief period of time we've spent with him he appears to know, well, everything about everything.

He thinks that when man kills another man it is like being taken over by a spirit, a Toori-mono. Something that clouds the mind and brings misfortune. He says that any motive similar to one from a mystery novel is unlikely to be true.

Story

Meji Era 13th Year - A number of experiments are conducted on clairvoance. While they initially show positive results the experiments are disrupted by someone who claims that the experiments are a trick. As a result, the experiments care called off and the two women who claim to be clairvoyant are soon dead. This ends the academic debate over the existence of clairvoyance or spiritual powers.

On the night of the 15th August Showa Era Year 27 Yorko and Kanako are at the train station. Kanako is ends up falling in front of a train. Detective Kiba is onboard this very train and begins his investigation into the incident. When he travels to the hospital that night with Yorko he meets Masouka, Kinuko and Amemiya and a few things come to light.

That night Kanako is moved to the mysterious Box Hospital and everyone else follows suit. Kanako stays alive that night.

On August 17th Yoriko and her mother argue. Yoriko's mother is concerned that the house has been infected by a demon and on August 18th she brings in an exorcist. To cleanse the house. Yoriko flees from the commotion and encounters the man in black with white gloves.

On August 30th Sekiguchi has become involved in the case of the 'dismemberment killer' who is cutting up women and distributing their limbs about the countryside. The right arm was discovered on August 29th, on August 30th both legs turned up. Sekiguchi is called by his reporter friend, Toriguchi, to go the crime scene. They are both joined by Atsuko, another reporter. During the course of their investigation they end up at the box hospital where Kanako is being kept, which is surrounded by heavy security.

On August 31st Kiba hears a rumour that none of the patients at the hospital ever come back. Kiba controns Kinuko/Youko about a note she has received. Later that day Yoriko visits the box hospital and Kiba to say that the man with the gloves pushed Kanako. When Yoriko, Kiba and others go down to visit Kanako another incident occurs where Kanako is kidnapped. Shortly thereafter Suzaki is murdered. Part of her is discovered on September 16th. Kiba is visited by a friend to discover the dismemberment case and how it appears to be linked to Kanako case by the man in white gloves

On September 6th and 7th more body parts are found. On September 10th Sekugchi meets with his publishers to discuss the order of his stories. Atsuko appears to inform Sekiguchi that more body parts have just been discovered.

On September 15th an unnamed women argues with her mother about prostitution and is eventually captured by the man with white gloves. Her body parts are found on September 16th.

On September 22nd Sekiguchi laments the problems with his latest story. Toriguchi, the reporter, comes to visit him. They discuss Kyougokudou briefly, before Yukie explains that needs some help investigate an exorcist that he believes to be a swindler. To this end Sekigcuhi suggests they visit Kyougokudou. Kyougokudou seems to know everything that's going on about, well, every part of the case. His skills appear to be clairvoyant in nature

On September 23rd Masouka visits the Rose Cross Detective Agency to discuss the Kanako case.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mouryou no Hako

This show can be a real headache to follow at times so I thought I should compile what we know by the end of episode five.

You have no idea how much I love you for this. You just made our lives much easier with this character guide. I was having a rough time remembering who's who... Haha.

Seriously, thanks.

Jex

!!!

Iirc the scenes with Sekiguchi
are a reference to one of the author previous novels (that also was a novel by Sekiguchi? Some meta-shit or something) I wouldn't look into them too much.

Oh, everything is relevant. It's all meta-meta in here.

rpmurphy

Sazae-san Episode 6,067 or "A Diary?"

From my small vocabulary of Japanese I could make out that this episode may have been about Katsuo keeping a diary. He noted down events and then got an idea when he saw an ant next to his shoe. He wrote about it, presumably, and then handed it to Namihei who
everyone expected that he'd get angry over what was written in the diary, he wasn't
. Katsuo continues to write in the diary.

The episode ended with Tama (The cat) next to a crab and Sazae looking for something in Pink Land.

I really like watching this actually. I can see why this has lasted for almost 44 years.
Yep, best Slice of Life show before the moe style got popular. I really wish someone would pick it up for streaming, even if untranslated.

Jex

It's worth pointing out that Mōryō no Hako is actually the second part in a series of books. The first book, the Summer of the Ubume, introduces many of the characters found here such as: Sekiguchi, Kyogokudo, Reijiro Enokizu, Kiba and Atsuko. In other words, these characters which all turn up in Moryo no Hako are supposed to be known to the audience already. Confusing!

I should also point out that the authors name is Natsuhiko Kyogoku. That's right, he names one of the most important people in the story, Kyogokudo, after himself. Smooth!

In addition, he's also the writer behind Requiem from the Darkness! Go and count up all the similarities in your spare time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom