• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Oh, this is fantastic -- solicitations just popped up on Amazon Japan for standard editions of Girls und Panzer BD volumes 1 through 4 -- late May for the first two, late June for the latter two. Comes with a fraction of the bonus features of the LEs (only the OVA, tank lecture, and cast commentary), at only a slightly cheaper price.

Jarmel

Banned
The mechs didn't really ruin it, that was all Gonzo

I was trying to remember if I ever liked any show that Gonzo has worked on and after looking at their works on wiki, not really. The only one I did, was more inspite of Gonzo rather than because of them. God damn did they work on some stinkers.

Instro

I've been meaning to see Dennou Coil for a long time now and Same with samurai 7 since I hear that's the highest budget tv anime, just to really check them out and see how they look like.

There aren't many videos of Dennou Coil on youtube strangely.

S7 was at the time, dunno if it is anymore. It certainly has some great action scenes fwiw. I imagine the less you know of Seven Samurai the better when it comes to watching Samurai 7.

Dennou Coil is not exactly well known, it was never localized in the US, and only got a BD release relatively recently so its not surprising you wouldn't see much on youtube for it.

Branduil

I was trying to remember if I ever liked any show that Gonzo has worked on and after looking at their works on wiki, not really. The only one I did, was more inspite of Gonzo rather than because of them. God damn did they work on some stinkers.

i6SqVtYkHICjJ.gif

Jex

I don't think it endorses that environment. It's obvious that Dojima is an asshole, and the show doesn't back up his views. But the show tolerates that environment. Dojima sucks, but he's working there and he'll still be working there. The ultimate message seems to be to avoid conflict, suck it up, and just deal with it.

That's what's so frustrating. Nobody should have to accept that shit as normal.

Except in Japan, apparently. If the show is attempting to be accurate in it's portrayal of a Japanese workplace then shouldn't it have to reflect reality? It's not like there's some kind of mechanism to have Dojima removed or punished.

zeroshiki

lol, not having Count of Monte Cristo in the list...

Gonzo used to be not terrible. I mean, this is probably nostalgia goggles but I enjoyed Gatekeepers and Vandread despite the terrible CG. Last Exile was good too.

Cwarrior

I... what

Samurai 7 (サムライセブン Samurai Sebun?) is a 2004 anime TV series, produced by Gonzo and based on Akira Kurosawa's highly regarded 1954 movie Seven Samurai. The series was directed by Toshifumi Takizawa and its music was composed by Kaoru Wada and Eitetsu Hayashi. There are 26 episodes, each costing around ¥32,500,000 ($300,000USD) to produce

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_7

S7 was at the time, dunno if it is anymore. It certainly has some great action scenes fwiw. I imagine the less you know of Seven Samurai the better when it comes to watching Samurai 7.

Dennou Coil is not exactly well known, it was never localized in the US, and only got a BD release relatively recently so its not surprising you wouldn't see much on youtube for it.

Still very weird there are barley any moving videos on youtube mostly just on still images with ost.

The only gonzo shows I've seen I can think of are

Liked
Afro samurai

Disliked then dropped
Gantz(the manga better)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
He can't be Jman 2.0 unless he has a seething hatred of K-On and a mild distaste for most of what Kyoani does.

Edit: and an irrational love of Shaft. Can't forget that.

Then I can't be jman 2.0, since Nichijou is the best anime ever and I'm mildly interested in K-On, and am fairly ambivalent about Shaft.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I liked Gankutsuou, Basilisk, Tower of Druaga, and Witchblade to varying degrees. That's about it.

Well, I also used to think that Hellsing was the greatest thing ever as a new fan, but my opinion on the television series soured in retrospect after being exposed to Ultimate.

dumbyugi

I like some stuff by Gonzo, but most of them were taken over by other people at some point. Strike Witches, Full Metal Panic and Saki are my favourite stuff by them and all of them were done by different people for their second seasons. They never even got to do all of Saki season 1.

zeroshiki

I forgot about FMP, yeah that was a good Gonzo thing too. However, is it good because of Gonzo or that the source was that strong? The KyoAni attempts at FMP have both been better than the Gonzo one.

Jarmel

Banned
I forgot about FMP, yeah that was a good Gonzo thing too. However, is it good because of Gonzo or that the source was that strong? The KyoAni attempts at FMP have both been better than the Gonzo one.

Definitely the source.

Dennou Coil 11-

This is really the first episode that I loved. Everything really clicked with this one.

zeroshiki

I miss the days when we would all recoil in horror whenever some beloved manga/LN got announced and it was by Gonzo. DEEN too, to a lesser extent. Now we just blame Okada.

Articalys

Voice actor Masakazu Morita revealed on Tuesday that he was hospitalized for anaphylactic shock, but he has recovered and is returning to work on Tuesday. While he cannot detail what happened, he did say that he was in a dire condition "hovering between life and death." However, he assured his followers that he is fine now. It was the first time he was ever hospitalized.
(source)

Wow... glad he's alright now, though.

zeroshiki

Some sobering news from the manga front. So apparently, Japan is not immune to the thrashing that print publications have been getting in the rest of the world.

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/national/news/CK2013021102000114.html

The article says that manga magazines are being cancelled left and right. The latest being "Manga Sunday". It says that the current manga business model is turning into "publish in magazines -> release tankoubons -> release anime -> profit". Most magazines are turning into glorified advertisements for the tankobon/anime and have been operating with heavy losses.

According to the editor, "Manga Sunday" couldn't survive this model because its target market is older people and those don't really buy tanks/watch anime.

With the advent of the net and mangas being easily obtainable from the net, only things like Gundam, One Piece, etc are getting people to spend money on manga.

Branduil

Some sobering news from the manga front. So apparently, Japan is not immune to the thrashing that print publications have been getting in the rest of the world.

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/national/news/CK2013021102000114.html

The article says that manga magazines are being cancelled left and right. The latest being "Manga Sunday". It says that the current manga business model is turning into "publish in magazines -> release tankoubons -> release anime -> profit". Most magazines are turning into glorified advertisements for the tankobon/anime and have been operating with heavy losses.

According to the editor, "Manga Sunday" couldn't survive this model because its target market is older people and those don't really buy tanks/watch anime.

With the advent of the net and mangas being easily obtainable from the net, only things like Gundam, One Piece, etc are getting people to spend money on manga.

I'm not surprised. The manga industries' approach to the web is ludicrously out of touch.

Le Portrait de Petit Cossette 2

The direction in this is a pain in the ass. I can't feel tense when I have no clue what is going on, which is only made worse by the bipolar cuts.

Wasurenagumo this is not.

yami4ct

Evangelion 3.0

Took a break from my constant marathoning of GinTama to finally check this out. It was brilliant. Everything I hoped it could be. It's pure insanity and that's just amazing to see. Not knowing almost anything about where it was going before starting, every moment was just a massive surprised. Rebuild has really moved itself away from the main series, and I love it for it.

Sure, it's going to be divisive like all things Eva. Anno is not nice at all to any of the characters. Horrible, horrible things happen to people. If you're the type to get super emotionally attached to a character, you'll likely end up hating what goes on here. I personally love where they're going here. The relationship between Kaworu and Shinji resonates far better than in the original series. The way they come off the end of 2.0 is down right tragic in a lot of ways. As troll-y as Anno loves to make his stuff, I actually found a lot of things to be emotionally resonate. He didn't just get me from a troll perspective.

A couple last thoughts, avoid spoilers if it all possible. The surprise is part of what makes 3.0 so amazing. Not knowing much going in, I was in constant shock. Also, I want to take this moment to again praise the end of 2.0. As much as I love 3.0, I was a little sad there wasn't a moment that worked as well as that last scene of 2.0. The music and action mesh together absolutely perfectly. Here, emotional scenes aren't really augmented by music like that scene. In fact, there isn't a really great musical moment in 3.0. I was a little disappointed by that. Man, the wait for 4.0 cannot be more difficult. I cannot wait to see where they go from here.

trejo

Gonzo shows I liked:

- Saikano
- Chrono Crusade
- Samurai 7
- Last Exile
- Gankutsuou
- Basilisk
- Welcome to the NHK
- Afro Samurai
- Seto no Hanayome
- The Tower of Druaga Season 1

I'm pretty sure quite a number of them would not stand the test of time in a rewatch. For example, I recently tried watching Blue Submarine no. 6 again and while Range Murata's designs still hold up great, the CG made my eyes want to throw up and die so I couldn't in good conscience put it on the list anymore.

I'd also like to point out that I'd never seen the original Kurosawa film back when I went through S7. In hindsight, that shit was probably pretty awful.

zeroshiki

I wonder if they'll discover e-book tech and indeed if that will help.

EReaders are becoming the hot new thing with Amazon, Rakuten and Sony duking it out against, well, tablets but the B&W nature of manga actually lends itself well to ereaders. The problem is of course getting publishers on board and distribution. As far as I know, manga doesn't release on time in the ereaders.

I wonder how much weight I'd gain if I lived in Osaka for a year.

Not much unless you're rich. Food is expensive.

zeroshiki

Evangelion 3.0

Took a break from my constant marathoning of GinTama to finally check this out. It was brilliant. Everything I hoped it could be. It's pure insanity and that's just amazing to see. Not knowing almost anything about where it was going before starting, every moment was just a massive surprised. Rebuild has really moved itself away from the main series, and I love it for it.

Sure, it's going to be divisive like all things Eva. Anno is not nice at all to any of the characters. Horrible, horrible things happen to people. If you're the type to get super emotionally attached to a character, you'll likely end up hating what goes on here. I personally love where they're going here. The relationship between Kaworu and Shinji resonates far better than in the original series. The way they come off the end of 2.0 is down right tragic in a lot of ways. As troll-y as Anno loves to make his stuff, I actually found a lot of things to be emotionally resonate. He didn't just get me from a troll perspective.

A couple last thoughts, avoid spoilers if it all possible. The surprise is part of what makes 3.0 so amazing. Not knowing much going in, I was in constant shock. Also, I want to take this moment to again praise the end of 2.0. As much as I love 3.0, I was a little sad there wasn't a moment that worked as well as that last scene of 2.0. The music and action mesh together absolutely perfectly. Here, emotional scenes aren't really augmented by music like that scene. In fact, there isn't a really great musical moment in 3.0. I was a little disappointed by that. Man, the wait for 4.0 cannot be more difficult. I cannot wait to see where they go from here.

Sorry, I'm gonna disagree with this. Eva 3.0 is a convoluted mess that makes zero sense if you took 5 seconds or so to think it through.

It takes everything you liked about the TV series and EoE and takes a massive dump on it. Characterizations, continuity, common sense, all go out the window in the name of Anno getting his kicks in and pissing off all its fans.

The fights sure were pretty though. (ugly battleship aside)

Oh hey Shinji, you have no idea whats happening but that's ok, we're gonna ignore you and treat you like shit despite you basically holding the key to 4th impact.

If Misato had the common sense to explain to Shinji what was going on, he wouldn't have gone back to Tokyo-3. For fuck's sake, just tell him Ayanami is dead and that one is a new clone. Problem solved.

Branduil

Something visually coherent. Nothing else of what I've seen of his is this bad in how it conveys what's going on to the audience.

Edit: I take that back. Sasami-san@Ganbaranai is a thousand times worse.

It's certainly visually convoluted, but it actually is possible if difficult to figure out what's going on.

You shouldn't really compare it to most of his SHAFT shows since he doesn't really direct most of those, LOL. They're watered-down Shinbo.

yami4ct

Sorry, I'm gonna disagree with this. Eva 3.0 is a convoluted mess that makes zero sense if you took 5 seconds or so to think it through.

It takes everything you liked about the TV series and EoE and takes a massive dump on it. Characterizations, continuity, common sense, all go out the window in the name of Anno getting his kicks in and pissing off all its fans.

The fights sure were pretty though. (ugly battleship aside)

Oh hey Shinji, you have no idea whats happening but that's ok, we're gonna ignore you and treat you like shit despite you basically holding the key to 4th impact.

If Misato had the common sense to explain to Shinji what was going on, he wouldn't have gone back to Tokyo-3. For fuck's sake, just tell him Ayanami is dead and that one is a new clone. Problem solved.

For the first part, I don't really see a continuity issue. The
time skip
does make thing deliberately confusing, but that's part of the charm. Figuring out all of the stuff that's gone down post the end of 2.0. Nothing feels out of continuity or re-written. I also have zero problems with characterization. These characters have been through some major, horrible shit, and it's all Shinji's fault. They have every right to hate him. He actually deserves it at this point. As for your spoiler
I don't see a real problem there. Even if she did explain it, Shinji wouldn't have believed her. He's proven time and time again to be a hardheaded little shit who believes what he wants. Even if she did explain all that, he would have dived right in in the hopes he could still find the Rei he knew.

zeroshiki

For the first part, I don't really see a continuity issue. The
time skip
does make thing deliberately confusing, but that's part of the charm. Figuring out all of the stuff that's gone down post the end of 2.0. Nothing feels out of continuity or re-written. I also have zero problems with characterization. These characters have been through some major, horrible shit, and it's all Shinji's fault. They have every right to hate him. He actually deserves it at this point. As for your spoiler
I don't see a real problem there. Even if she did explain it, Shinji wouldn't have believed her. He's proven time and time again to be a hardheaded little shit who believes what he wants. Even if she did explain all that, he would have dived right in in the hopes he could still find the Rei he knew.

Eva 3.0 basically invalidates Episode 25-26 of the TV series and the end of EoE.

For the characters:
Shinji didn't learn anything, he did not say "I" at the end of the world. He basically regresses into the miserable shit pile that he was at the start of the series. That's not rewriting the character?

Asuka is basically Asuka from Episode 8. She's there to bully Shinji and not care about him at all. Nothing they went through in Eva 2.0 or the series itself happened.

Rei. lol.

Misato is, what, again? Gendo? If Ritsuko is the more pragmatic of the two, then there's something really wrong there.

yami4ct

Eva 3.0 basically invalidates Episode 25-26 of the TV series and the end of EoE.

For the characters:
Shinji didn't learn anything, he did not say "I" at the end of the world. He basically regresses into the miserable shit pile that he was at the start of the series. That's not rewriting the character?

Asuka is basically Asuka from Episode 8. She's there to bully Shinji and not care about him at all. Nothing they went through in Eva 2.0 or the series itself happened.

Rei. lol.

Misato is, what, again? Gendo? If Ritsuko is the more pragmatic of the two, then there's something really wrong there.

Rebuild is it's own thing. There may be loose continuity, but this is a reset of characters. It doesn't invalidate anything. The only real continuity it has is the other two Rebuilds.

As for the change in Misato in particular, I found it easily explained by
living in the post apocalyptic world. She hates Shinji for causing this. She hates Gendou for trying to end everything for good. All she wants to do is prevent further damage

Yo shut up I still ain't seen it

Don't worry about me. I refuse to spoil this openly for anyone. Like I said, the surprise is what makes parts of it so worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom