• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly visually convoluted, but it actually is possible if difficult to figure out what's going on.

You shouldn't really compare it to most of his SHAFT shows since he doesn't really direct most of those, LOL. They're watered-down Shinbo.

Well, I do have some idea of what's going on, but the fact I have to decipher it, even if it takes a few seconds, is getting in the way of my enjoyment. I don't need things to be 100% straightforward, but if there's any kind of delay in my understanding of a scene, then there's a good chance my suspension of disbelief has been broken.

That and I'm not really feeling the story here anyway. I don't know, I guess I was expecting a more focused build-up to help me care about the characters and actually be shocked when the whole "everything isn't as it seems" stuff kicks in. It's just a chore to get invested in this.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, I do have some idea of what's going on, but the fact I have to decipher it even if it takes a few seconds, is getting in the way of my enjoyment. I don't need things to be 100% straightforward, but if there's any kind of delay in my understanding of a scene, then there's a good chance my suspension of disbelief has been broken.

That and I'm not really feeling the story here anyway. I don't know, I guess I was expecting a more focused build-up to help me care about the characters and actually be shocked when the whole "everything isn't as it seems" stuff kicks in. It's just a chore to get invested in this.
You place too much value on suspension of disbelief.

Branduil

Well, I do have some idea of what's going on, but the fact I have to decipher it, even if it takes a few seconds, is getting in the way of my enjoyment. I don't need things to be 100% straightforward, but if there's any kind of delay in my understanding of a scene, then there's a good chance my suspension of disbelief has been broken.

The thing is, I don't think you're really supposed to feel sympathy for the protagonist at this point, because he really doesn't deserve it. It's more like watching a train wreck and seeing if anyone is going to survive.

And I'm guessing Shinbo's style just isn't for you; he cares very little about directing naturalistically.

Jintor

What's that got to do with it? Immersion is a little different in videogames due to the interactivity factor, but being drawn into a piece of media is relatively similar across all types, right?

The thing is, I don't think you're really supposed to feel sympathy for the protagonist at this point, because he really doesn't deserve it. It's more like watching a train wreck and seeing if anyone is going to survive.

And I'm guessing Shinbo's style just isn't for you; he cares very little about directing naturalistically.

I loved the direction in Madoka though.

Shin Getter Robo 2

Seriously, why does this have such well-choreographed ground combat?

Hayato is friggin nuts. I love it.

Articalys

A bit of a slower week compared to last time, but there's still a few updates to the top of the Fall Temporal Rankings:

27,493 *8 Girls und Panzer
22,109 *2 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

17,520 *5 Chuunibyou
15,190 *2 Magi

No full English list yet for the weekly sales of February 4-10, but I took a try at it for the BDs:

Blu-ray
*1, 7,185 *7,185 Tari Tari vol.6
*2, 3,779 *3,779 K vol.5
*3, 3,645 *3,645 Magi vol.2
*5, 2,092 26,599 Code Geass: Akito the Exlied vol.1
*6, 1,637 16,497 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol.1
*7, 1,314 *1,314 Ixion Saga DT vol.3
*8, 1,048 27,493 Girls und Panzer vol.1
*9, *,968 20,273 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II vol.5
10, *,813 **,813 Moyashimon Returns vol.6

For DVDs, Magi vol.2 sold 6,377, and Magi vol.1 sold 1,389 more while JoJo vol.1 sold 1,102 more.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Film is film - any form of expression is fair game as long as it's well-executed, I don't give a shit if it's intentionally artificial or breaks my suspension of disbelief, and this is coming from someone who does tend to show a preference towards works that accurately capture a realistic sense of reality in it's portrayal.

zeroshiki

What a crock of shit. You can't relate to characters in a movie now? If some people feel the need to place themselves within the context of the movie to derive enjoyment out of it, that does not make their point of view any less valid than your arthouse snooty world view.

What's that got to do with it? Immersion is a little different in videogames due to the interactivity factor, but being drawn into a piece of media is relatively similar across all types, right?

Because pizzaroll believes that the only way to enjoy a show is to look at the meta and marvel at how a scene was animated, how a shot was framed, how the scenes were connected or somesuch.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I hate it when yall post gifs. It makes me want to watch shows. Now I want to watch Dennou Coil and Smile Precure. I hate you all.

Jintor

Maybe we can manipulate Kayos's opinions of things via gifs. I'll see if I can scrounge up some Toradora gifs and correct his character impressions.

Risette

A Good Citizen
What a crock of shit. You can't relate to characters in a movie now? If some people feel the need to place themselves within the context of the movie to derive enjoyment out of it, that does not make their point of view any less valid than your arthouse snooty world view.
Cool anti-intellectualism.

protip: this is how people outside of the anime/videogame fan bubble view things
Because pizzaroll believes that the only way to enjoy a show is to look at the meta and marvel at how a scene was animated, how a shot was framed, how the scenes were connected or somesuch.
No, it's about understanding what story is told through the visuals in unison with the rest of the work rather than "connecting with the world" or some other nonsense like you took drugs before watching it.

zeroshiki

protip: this is how people outside of the anime/videogame fan bubble view things

No, it's about understanding what story is told through the visuals in unison with the rest of the work rather than "connecting with the world" or some other nonsense like you took drugs before watching it.

What? Are you saying that you're somehow above us because you took a film theory class or something? How's the view atop that high horse?

Risette

A Good Citizen
What? Are you saying that you're somehow above us because you took a film theory class or something? How's the view atop that high horse?
No, all I did was seek to educate myself. You are too happy in your bubble to do that, apparently.

The view from atop is great. You can make your way up here one day if you put in the effort.

sonicmj1

Except in Japan, apparently. If the show is attempting to be accurate in it's portrayal of a Japanese workplace then shouldn't it have to reflect reality? It's not like there's some kind of mechanism to have Dojima removed or punished.

Apparently.

As I said, I don't hate the show for it. It's just incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: Also, there are mechanisms, ranging from mild (there are bosses) to severe (lawsuits), they're just either weak or considered socially unacceptable.

Jintor

When I talk about immersion, all I mean is that I'm invested enough in the story/experience not for my attention to be distracted by other things.

kayos90

If we're really trying to be intellectual, a lot of rhetoric and narrative classes that I'm taking say the exact opposite of what you're saying. lol.

Branduil

isquCrg7Yr3Fs.png

Articalys

Here we go, full Weekly Sales Rankings for February 4 - 10:

Blu-ray
*2, 3,779 *3,779 K vol.5
*3, 3,645 *3,645 Magi vol.2 Limited Edition
*4, 3,384 18,833 Biohazard: Damnation Limited Edition
*5, 2,092 26,599 Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito 1 - Yokuryuu wa Maiorita Limited Edition
*6, 1,637 16,497 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol.1 Limited Edition
*9, *,968 20,273 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II vol.5 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 6,767 *,**6,767 Initial D Fifth Stage vol.2
*2, 6,377 *,**6,377 Magi vol.2 Limited Edition
*3, 4,050 *,*17,008 Biohazard: Damnation
*4, 2,025 *,**2,025 One Piece 15th Season vol.3
*5, 1,888 *,**1,888 Ixion Saga DT vol.3
*6, 1,696 *,**1,696 K vol.5
*7, 1,389 *,*10,392 Magi vol.1 Limited Edition
*8, 1,137 *,**1,137 Naruto: Shippuuden Kyubi Shoaku to Inga Naru Kaoko no Sho vol.5
*9, 1,102 *,**5,612 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol.1 Limited Edition
10, *,863 *,***,863 Himitsukessha Taka no Tsume NEO vol.4
11, *,860 *,*11,014 Kuroko no Basket vol.7
12, *,830 *,**3,865 Kamiusagi Rope 3rd Season vol.3
13, *,778 *,*10,622 Yorinuki Gintama-san On Theater 2D Shinsengumi Doran Hen Limited Edition
15, *,688 *,***,688 Moyashimon Returns vol.6
17, *,634 *,*42,343 Kuroko no Basket Fan Disc
18, *,611 *,**3,429 Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito 1 - Yokuryuu wa Maiorita
19, *,605 1,179,661 Tonari no Totoro
20, *,591 *,*11,031 Initial D Fifth Stage vol.1
24, *,492 *,**3,683 Kamiusagi Rope
25, *,477 *,***,477 himitsukesshatakanotsume.jp DVD Box vol.2 Limited Edition
30, *,400 *,***,400 Fairy Tail vol.37

And, since there were no new releases but a few vol.1 updates, the top ten for the Temporal Fall List:
27,493 *8 Girls und Panzer
22,109 *2 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
17,520 *5 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
15,190 *2 Magi
12,674 *4 To LOVE-ru Darkness
11,723 *2 Gintama' Enchousen
11,609 *4 Little Busters
11,031 *5 Initial D Fifth Stage
*9,928 *3 Hidamari Sketch
*9,297 10 K
Updated in bold.

kayos90

Here we go, full Weekly Sales Rankings for February 4 - 10:

Blu-ray
*2, 3,779 *3,779 K vol.5
*3, 3,645 *3,645 Magi vol.2 Limited Edition
*4, 3,384 18,833 Biohazard: Damnation Limited Edition
*5, 2,092 26,599 Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito 1 - Yokuryuu wa Maiorita Limited Edition
*6, 1,637 16,497 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol.1 Limited Edition
*9, *,968 20,273 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II vol.5 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 6,767 *,**6,767 Initial D Fifth Stage vol.2
*2, 6,377 *,**6,377 Magi vol.2 Limited Edition
*3, 4,050 *,*17,008 Biohazard: Damnation
*4, 2,025 *,**2,025 One Piece 15th Season vol.3
*5, 1,888 *,**1,888 Ixion Saga DT vol.3
*6, 1,696 *,**1,696 K vol.5
*7, 1,389 *,*10,392 Magi vol.1 Limited Edition
*8, 1,137 *,**1,137 Naruto: Shippuuden Kyubi Shoaku to Inga Naru Kaoko no Sho vol.5
*9, 1,102 *,**5,612 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol.1 Limited Edition
10, *,863 *,***,863 Himitsukessha Taka no Tsume NEO vol.4
11, *,860 *,*11,014 Kuroko no Basket vol.7
12, *,830 *,**3,865 Kamiusagi Rope 3rd Season vol.3
13, *,778 *,*10,622 Yorinuki Gintama-san On Theater 2D Shinsengumi Doran Hen Limited Edition
15, *,688 *,***,688 Moyashimon Returns vol.6
17, *,634 *,*42,343 Kuroko no Basket Fan Disc
18, *,611 *,**3,429 Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito 1 - Yokuryuu wa Maiorita
19, *,605 1,179,661 Tonari no Totoro
20, *,591 *,*11,031 Initial D Fifth Stage vol.1
24, *,492 *,**3,683 Kamiusagi Rope
25, *,477 *,***,477 himitsukesshatakanotsume.jp DVD Box vol.2 Limited Edition
30, *,400 *,***,400 Fairy Tail vol.37

Nothing over 10k. lol. Surprise.

kayos90

What film did you discuss?

We discussed movies such as The Matrix and Hamlet. Why does it matter though? I feel like at this point the argument is going on just for argument's sake. No offense but I find this to be extremely trivial. I get that you have your own perspective. Cool. I don't want to be beaten with it because you think that I'm wrong or misguided or whatnot.

What are you studying?

Narratives. Ranging from various artifacts whether it be film, books, or whatnot.

Risette

A Good Citizen
We discussed movies such as The Matrix and Hamlet. Why does it matter though? I feel like at this point the argument is going on just for argument's sake. No offense but I find this to be extremely trivial. I get that you have your own perspective. Cool. I don't want to be beaten with it because you think that I'm wrong or misguided or whatnot.
No, I'm genuinely curious.

Hell no! lol.

Ah. So what is te purpose of studying narratives? I take it that you're a college student so it should relate to the career you want to embrace right?

Just tell me to fuck off if I'm curious beyond admissible limits, I won't take any offense, but I like to know lots of things. And I'm crious about studies as I only finished mine recently, so i sitill have fresh appy memories about college ^^

Edit:
I'm not really in the mood, nor correct sitting position to be writing a long post and continuing this discussion. Blame my laziness.

So much for my curiosity, I guess...

kayos90

Ah. So what is te purpose of studying narratives? I take it that you're a college student so it should relate to the career you want to embrace right?

Just tell me to fuck off if I'm curious beyond admissible limits, I won't take any offense, but I like to know lots of things. And I'm crious about studies as I only finished mine recently, so i sitill have fresh appy memories about college ^^

Edit:

So much for my curiosity, I guess...

I'm studying Rhetoric and Writing. Narratives play a role in that.

EDIT: I wouldn't tell you to fuck off. =) I will say my circumstances of how I feel though. It's all good. lol. Don't mind. Don't mind.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Don't listen to this man.

Accept my prime candidate instead!
So we can agree I captured his likeness right.
YciuQ.gif

Oh and good things come to those who wait.

I really shouldn't post my personal info on twitter.
I don't really care to be honest.
Well just remember that you did unlike a certain member here who was surprised when we all knew his real name.

Puchimas! 31

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/puchimasu31.jpg

what the fuuuuuuuuuck

edit: i think this explains her fear of men and dogs. imas is some sick shit
She's talking about burying her parents alive you sick funk.

sonicmj1

For the immersion discussion, I think it can be a good quality, but it's not a necessary one. The same is true for anything else. There are works that are enjoyable because they transport you to another time and place, and there are works that are good because they challenge you or keep you off-balance. Both techniques have their uses.

It's not necessarily bad if a show breaks immersion, as long as there's a reason. That's true for just about anything. If a show is doing something like that, you should be asking yourself why, because that's probably the whole point of taking you out of the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom