• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaEpyon

If someone hasn't seen very much at all, generally I try to recommend things that are available via online streaming, so that limits things a little. Vampire Hunter D, for example, isn't online (assuming this list is complete).

Seeing that this much is available via free streaming is actually kind of amazing to me. Particularly the amount in some of the catalog lists. This probably would have blown my mind 5 or so years ago.

Kagami

On the flip side, the Japanese Otaku who have to pay like £40 for two episodes are probably crying as well.
No crying necessary really. North American releases are well-stocked at import stores in Japan, which are on Amazon Marketplace. Frequently they appear ahead of Japanese releases on search results if you search for a title on Amazon Japan.

For example:

Highscool of the Dead
North American BD set - 4,849 yen -- 488th place in anime Blu-ray rankings
Japanese BD box - 20,809 yen -- 1617th place in anime Blu-ray rankings
North American DVD set - 2,379 yen

Infinite Stratos
North American BD complete set - 4,780 yen - 272nd place in anime Blu-ray rankings
Japanese BD single vol. 1 - 5,721 yen - 718th place in anime Blu-ray rankings

Cat Planet Cuties (We're Going to Drop By! / Asobi ni Iku yo!)

North American BD set - 5,824 yen - 958th place in anime DVD/Bluray
Japanese BD box - 13,934 yen - 1651th place in anime DVD/Blu-ray

Let's try a couple that lack N.A. BD releases:

SoRaNoWoTo
North American DVD complete set - 4,980 yen - 26,235th place in overall DVD/BD rankings*
Japanese BD single vol. 1 - 6,045 yen - 43,205th place in overall DVD/BD rankings
Japanese DVD single vol. 1 - 1,700 yen (clearance) - 40,546th place in overall DVD/BD rankings

Martian Successor Nadesico (Japanese releases winning on this one for whatever reason.)
North American DVD box - 4,779 yen - 18,110th place in overall DVD/BD rankings
Japanese DVD box - 22,191 yen - 6,953rd place in overall DVD/BD rankings
Japanese BD box - 30,715 yen - 4,549th place in overall DVD/BD rankings
Japanese Premier complete DVD box - 39,780 yen - 31,737th place in overall DVD/BD rankings

*I tried to pick the most relevant rankings for each item, but had to fall back to more general video rankings when Amazon doesn't categorize all the imports as animation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
kayos is getting kayos'd; Iori and the twins are great.

iQmW3MWD6Wm1F.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be fair, Beez is actually an acronym: Bandai Entertainment European Zone. Hence the non-availablity of their stuff: they're dead. I'm kinda glad I nabbed the Bebop re-issue from last year.

I wish I picked that up when I saw a massive pile of them in HMV. The next time I went in they were all gone. I couldn't believe it.

No crying necessary really. North American releases are well-stocked at import stores in Japan, which are on Amazon Marketplace. Frequently they appear ahead of Japanese releases on search results if you search for a title on Amazon Japan.

I was trying to make myself feel better. Thanks for shitting on me.

CorvoSol

I don't care what anybody says, I hate those little cunts.

There cannot be any real defense for creatures as abominable as they.

Eureka Seven 26

I still think episode 24 is better, but I can see why people would like this episode so much. Particularly when Renton looks Holland in the eye and is basically like, "Screw you, guy I used to think was so damn cool, and screw your ship of people I used to think were so cool. I don't give two damns about you. I came back for Eureka and that's it. She's not here? See you later, JERK."

It really is a nice pay off to FINALLY see Renton 1)be more of a man than Holland and 2)flat out get the better of Holland in a confrontation. It was also nice to know that neither Charles nor Ray wished any physical harm upon Renton and Eureka, and Ray really wants her son back.

I didn't get the reason why people said Charles looked like a Raccoon, though.

In any case, Renton's giant middle finger to Holland was as worth it as Sosuke's to his commanding officers at the end of TSR. I really like moments like that.

I . . . kind of don't care about Renton x Eureka, though. It's cute and sweet, but I dunno, I'm not a fan of tweenage true love, I guess.

Also, Renton became Kira at the end of the episode by just chopping dudes arms off instead of blowing them up. This is like, a big deal in Mecha anime and always presented as more difficult to do than killing a foe.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There cannot be any real defense for creatures as abominable as they.

Eureka Seven 26

I still think episode 24 is better, but I can see why people would like this episode so much. Particularly when Renton looks Holland in the eye and is basically like, "Screw you, guy I used to think was so damn cool, and screw your ship of people I used to think were so cool. I don't give two damns about you. I came back for Eureka and that's it. She's not here? See you later, JERK."

It really is a nice pay off to FINALLY see Renton 1)be more of a man than Holland and 2)flat out get the better of Holland in a confrontation. It was also nice to know that neither Charles nor Ray wished any physical harm upon Renton and Eureka, and Ray really wants her son back.

I didn't get the reason why people said Charles looked like a Raccoon, though.

In any case, Renton's giant middle finger to Holland was as worth it as Sosuke's to his commanding officers at the end of TSR. I really like moments like that.

I . . . kind of don't care about Renton x Eureka, though. It's cute and sweet, but I dunno, I'm not a fan of tweenage true love, I guess.

Also, Renton became Kira at the end of the episode by just chopping dudes arms off instead of blowing them up. This is like, a big deal in Mecha anime and always presented as more difficult to do than killing a foe.

Fucking MORNING GLORY!!!!

Uh.... spoiler much?

I wish I picked that up when I saw a massive pile of them in HMV. The next time I went in they were all gone. I couldn't believe it.
Yeah. As I recall, I got my copy really cheap from HMV online: it was that "£20 HMV.com credit for £10" deal from some Groupees clone, I nabbed two and then got Bebop with them, so I got it for approx. £12 actual money. :3

But yeah, that re-issue had a really, really small print run. I think HMV had stock for a month at best.

CorvoSol

Fucking MORNING GLORY!!!!

Uh.... spoiler much?

Ehh, I kind of figured. There's been something inhuman about her for most of the show. Not sure what bearing it has on their relationship, though.

They definitely have not said what she is, though. Eureka, Holland, and now Charles x Ray's back stories are all one big mystery, as is what happened to Renton's dad and sister.

Hell, her name has only been said twice and her face never revealed.

Uchip

Banned
Ehh, I kind of figured. There's been something inhuman about her for most of the show. Not sure what bearing it has on their relationship, though.

oh
sorry if you didnt know...
I hate teenage romance shit like Toradora

supernatural is the only interesting setup

Gintama 202

WTF happenned ..

WTF happenned .. i took my sweet time to let many episodes go ahead and i'm now restarting gintama

Gintama%20-%20202_01.jpg

16/9 ! Hd powa baby !

New opening is very nice i still think gintama endings songs are better than their opening song but the opening was nice. Very high animation and it contained everything gintama within it. So great.Ending song was superb.

Gintama%20-%20202_02.jpg
Gintama%20-%20202_03.jpg

Gin in yamcha-mode was pretty awesome.
Kagura new look was awesome i wish she could use this appeal later ..and everything was kinda cool until...
Sadaharu.

???? WTF just happenned it was standard gintama crazyness but such a good crazyness.
The faces , the non-stop falling into despair and the so obvious it's fake hapiness near the fall.
OMG gintama just went up.

There is so much i want to tell, to write but shinpachi reaction is golden :

Gintama%20-%20202_04.jpg

My god the trolling .. the trolling levels at max power ...

i haven't watched gintama in a while ..i have +50 episodes to go ... and i'min love ...

GINTAMA RULES ... now in 16/9 and in HD..
So freaking awesome.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah. AFAIK I got my copy really cheap from HMV online: it was that "£20 HMV.com credit for £10" deal from some Groupees clone, I nabbed two and then got Bebop with them, so I got it for approx. £12 actual money. :3

But yeah, that re-issue had a really, really small print run. I think HMV had stock for a month at best.

I wouldn't be surprised that that store was holding stock to be distribute to other local stores (this was Piccadilly Circus).

HMV online must have found extra stock in the back of something because I'm sure when I once checked it was available. You were really lucky.

Uchip

Banned
iirc they don't. Even if it was obvious, it'd be nice if you spoiler tag that stuff.

it would be so shit if they gave other characters in that show flourescent hair and crazy eyes
they were very good at keeping that anime trope garbage in check to differentiate her appearance

I wouldn't be surprised that that store was holding stock to be distribute to other local stores (this was Piccadilly Circus).

HMV online must have found extra stock in the back of something because I'm sure when I once checked it was available. You were really lucky.

Not luck, I pre-ordered that beggar, they delayed it by a couple of months.

kayos90

it would be so shit if they gave other characters in that show flourescent hair and crazy eyes
they were very good at keeping that anime trope garbage in check to differentiate her appearance

It doesn't matter if the anime makes her appearance different making it obvious for the viewers to guess. For all you know it could be a special case. The fact still remains that you spoiled something that happens later on in the show thinking it happens earlier. What's worse is that you're trying to justify your act.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

For example:

Highscool of the Dead
North American BD set - 4,849 yen -- 488th place in anime Blu-ray rankings
Japanese BD box - 20,809 yen -- 1617th place in anime Blu-ray rankings
North American DVD set - 2,379 yen

Infinite Stratos
North American BD complete set - 4,780 yen - 272nd place in anime Blu-ray rankings
Japanese BD single vol. 1 - 5,721 yen - 718th place in anime Blu-ray rankings

Cat Planet Cuties (We're Going to Drop By! / Asobi ni Iku yo!)

North American BD set - 5,824 yen - 958th place in anime DVD/Bluray
Japanese BD box - 13,934 yen - 1651th place in anime DVD/Blu-ray

Let's try a couple that lack N.A. BD releases:

SoRaNoWoTo
North American DVD complete set - 4,980 yen - 26,235th place in overall DVD/BD rankings*
Japanese BD single vol. 1 - 6,045 yen - 43,205th place in overall DVD/BD rankings
Japanese DVD single vol. 1 - 1,700 yen (clearance) - 40,546th place in overall DVD/BD rankings

Martian Successor Nadesico (Japanese releases winning on this one for whatever reason.)
North American DVD box - 4,779 yen - 18,110th place in overall DVD/BD rankings
Japanese DVD box - 22,191 yen - 6,953rd place in overall DVD/BD rankings
Japanese BD box - 30,715 yen - 4,549th place in overall DVD/BD rankings
Japanese Premier complete DVD box - 39,780 yen - 31,737th place in overall DVD/BD rankings

*I tried to pick the most relevant rankings for each item, but had to fall back to more general video rankings when Amazon doesn't categorize all the imports as animation.

I guess if you just want the episodes and don't care about extra content, the US releases become extremely attractive.

Uchip

Banned
It doesn't matter if the anime makes her appearance different making it obvious for the viewers to guess. For all you know it could be a special case. The fact still remains that you spoiled something that happens later on in the show thinking it happens earlier. What's worse is that you're trying to justify your act.

you're overreacting
corvo himself doesnt even care

kayos90

you're overreacting
corvo himself doesnt even care

And had you done that to someone who would've cared? I'm saying watch what you post. Not only because I'm trying to say be considerate of others but because posting spoilers will get you banned.

Unless... you don't care about being banned. Then by all means, continue your grand escapade into bandom.

Jintor

Despite his general :kayos, if he has Makoto at boss tier, we can at least hang out and I won't be forced to pick on him to keep up my delinquent image

jgminto

Tamako Market 3

That was too cute. I'll probably keep watching this. There are enough interesting characters to draw me in. It was a pretty fun episode. The bird's rejections were hilarious and Tamako's father meeting her teacher was so moe. Shiori is super cute, I hope they do something good with the character.

cajunator

Banned
More shameful admission: I own Nausicaa and Laputa on BD and have yet to watch them.

Yes, I would say that is shameful. go watch them! (except I also have unopened discs yet to watch)
Mine arent movies though.

All poor Yayoi ever wanted was a high five every now and again - is that really enough to hate her for?

Also, I really don't get AmiMami hate.

Yayoi is sufficiently cute, but Kayos is right about Iori and Ami/Mami

Excellent acquisition!

Yep, I just paid out of the nose to get a bunch of stuff from the Rightstuf sale. It's not right!

I couldn't even find an affordable copy of Evangelion for sale here!

If you listen hard enough, you can hear a cajunator crying.

Nah. not gonna cry over some Lucky Star/Haruhi LE's.

Good news / bad news time:

The good news is, Nozomi is rereleasing Sora no Woto.

The bad news is, it's just as a cheaper DVD litebox set. (But I guess it's still good news for anyone who wanted the series but at a slightly lower price.)

Oh good. I thought it was gonn be bluray and I was gonna have to scream.

And Sentai's big announcement is... the K-On Movie!
Hybrid DVD/BD release, naturally.

Ok, now THIS is more fucking like it.

Has Sentai actually ever tossed in physical extras with their releases?

Yes. Croisee and Infinite Stratos have music CDs.

Uchip

Banned
And had you done that to someone who would've cared? I'm saying watch what you post. Not only because I'm trying to say be considerate of others but because posting spoilers will get you banned.

dude
he posted earlier saying that shes an alien like a gundam character
maybe you should get on his case for not using spoiler tags lol

kayos90

dude
he posted earlier saying that shes an alien like a gundam character
maybe you should get on his case for not using spoiler tags lol

This post is indicative of either you not reading my post clearly or failing to understand what I'm saying. If you want to continue dancing around then by all means do so. But don't do it at the behest of the community because you only see what you see and are not considerate of others.

Uchip

Banned
This post is indicative of either you not reading my post clearly or failing to understand what I'm saying. If you want to continue dancing around then by all means do so. But don't do it at the behest of the community because you only see what you see and are not considerate of others.

you'll live

cajunator

Banned
Actually in this case they were talking about Gurren Lagann.

I'm interested in how they're going to handle the English dub. lol

I have a thinpack of gurren Lagann too. Not really interested in extra swag from the US release of that either.
Some shows I care a lot and some I care little I suppose.

wonzo

Banned
So we're better off with just the GIFs for Kingdom?
Hmm. Well, there's tons of other stuff I haven't bothered to gif and that's really only because they don't really work without the DRAMATIC VOICE ACTING and INTENSE MUSIC the show just loves to put everywhere. Still, it's no Musashi Gundoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom