• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Kemonozume - 5 "A Girl's Secret Ingredient"
iTNsk5P7PzFf4.gif

Sad. The emotional impact some of these more "one-off" episodes have trump what most series work at during their entirety.

Not too much else to say about this episode. I'll be sad to see Kifuuken become more and more modernized, as the style of the sort of samurai-esq death squad is really awesome.

Weren't we talking about sex in non-hentai anime not too long ago? Add this one to the list; every other episode seems to have sex. Sort of makes sense with the motif of Kifuuken becoming infatuated with flesh eaters. Pretty classy stuff, too.

27n4fJD.jpg
w9ztGLQ.jpg

N92Lpo4.jpg
THo00m8.jpg

duckroll

He directed it, wrote it, and attached his career to its' anchor.

RIP Iso's career :(

He still updates his blog site once in a long while too, and it's pretty much always some notice about augmented reality technology being showcased somewhere either in a magazine article or at some school event or talk or something. It's pretty depressing. :(

Branduil

He still updates his blog site once in a long while too, and it's pretty much always some notice about augmented reality technology being showcased somewhere either in a magazine article or at some school event or talk or something. It's pretty depressing. :(

Did he just get really depressed by Dennou Coil's failure or what? I can't imagine he can't get work if he wants it.

OceanBlue

Err, wow. I see why you guys were making a big deal about the Iso rumors before. Hopefully I find myself with little to do this weekend so I can get started on it.

... After I catch up on Windy Tales. D:

duckroll

Did he just get really depressed by Dennou Coil's failure or what? I can't imagine he can't get work if he wants it.

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that. I don't think he has spoken to any media outlet since Denno Coil. No appearances, no interviews, no jobs, nothing. But everyone knows he's still alive.

Branduil

Weren't there some comments from people who worked with him on Dennou Coil who said he was a slave driver?

Well he's a pretty notorious perfectionist, I mean he doesn't even want inbetweeners working on his cuts.

Of course a lot of good directors aren't fun to be around lol.

Branduil

Working for Yamada Naoko is probably pretty nice. (no proof whatsoever)

I guess these directors being assholes make sense. I mean Miyazaki is well known for changing his mind mid production and throwing away all his staff's work.

And for trying to ruin Hosoda's career.

yami4ct

Made a mistake and checked out Sentai's Gintama dub. Wooooh. That one hurt. It's like all the characters had their souls sucked out. So much of the humor missed due to miss casting and bad direction. Shame. I mean, Gintama would be tough to dub, but doable. I'm not a huge fan of Sentai's dub work, but this was extra low. Probably hurt worse due to my love of the characters, though.

zeroshiki

Poor Hosoda really wanted to be a part of Ghibli. :(

Got rejected by Ghibli as a new hire and then got canned off a high profile movie when he was already established.

Then again, if he had stayed, we might not have gotten Tokikae, Summer Wars or Wolf Children so I guess it evens out.

Shergal

Well he's a pretty notorious perfectionist, I mean he doesn't even want inbetweeners working on his cuts.

Of course a lot of good directors aren't fun to be around lol.

The whole drama between him and Takeshi Honda seems like he's not a nice person to work under.

Another reason why Kyoani is the best anime studio :p

Jex

Aura Battler Dunbine 5

For some reason, when the episode opens with the phrase "Fortunate are those that remember the tale of Byston Well," I think of madpierrot.
Not everyone can accept that Tomino's most important and lasting legacy is his Byston Well Saga. Those who think Gundam matters are clearly mistaken.

duckroll

The whole drama between him and Takeshi Honda seems like he's not a nice person to work under.

Another reason why Kyoani is the best anime studio :p

Honda probably isn't a nice person to work under either. :p

All great animators are generally better off being left on their own to work on their own scenes without having to communicate or compromise with anyone else above or below. Lol.

Miyazaki didn't even try to make a good movie out of it, though.

What did Kondo do to run off Hosoda?

http://www.pelleas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=400

Ben has already reported of Hosoda first arrival there when the studio was still working on Chihiro so he had to find staff by himself.
Then more info kicked in form of a rumor on 2chan that said, he had already finished the most part of the storyboard. He stopped in the middle of C part.

Animation production had started but animation director Katsuya Kondo was not happy at all with Hosoda's work. Apparently he did not like Hosoda's style not enough Ghibli-ish.
To displease Hosoda when layout stopped by his desk, he would not correct them.

in the end there was a dispute and Hosoda returned to Toei Animation.

Miyazaki finished Howl's and Hosoda directed Magical Doremie Dokkan #40...

yami4ct

Honda probably isn't a nice person to work under either. :p

All great animators are generally better off being left on their own to work on their own scenes without having to communicate or compromise with anyone else above or below. Lol.

That's true of a lot of creative types. Very few creators can work well and share their vision with others.

duckroll

Wow that sounds really unprofessional.

I tried to register for the anipages forum like a year ago but Ben never responded to my email :(

LOL

Your email might have gotten flagged as spam or something, I think the reason he has that ghetto registration set up is because of spambots or something trying to get on his forum. It's really weird. Lol. He definitely responds if he gets an email though, I think... that's how I got in.

And yeah, somehow Ghibli veterans being unprofessional doesn't really surprise me. After all this is the studio which allows a guy with totally zero experience to direct movies just because he's Miyazaki's son! (lolz)

Branduil

Your email might have gotten flagged as spam or something, I think the reason he has that ghetto registration set up is because of spambots or something trying to get on his forum. It's really weird. Lol. He definitely responds if he gets an email though, I think... that's how I got in.

And yeah, somehow Ghibli veterans being unprofessional doesn't really surprise me. After all this is the studio which allows a guy with totally zero experience to direct movies just because he's Miyazaki's son! (lolz)

It's a weird kind of nepotism to try and make up for a lifetime of neglectful parenting by allowing your son to direct a major animated feature.

yami4ct

Nepotism isn't really all that surprising, especially in a craft like animation. It happens all the time. People get hired up to positions way beyond they're skill level because they're the son/daughter of an important person. In Ghibli's case though, the result was almost hilariously worse than usual nepotism problems.

OceanBlue

GJ-bu 06

Teeth brushing is old news now. Hair Combing is the new thing.

It was also apparently the imouto episode since it introduced like three new imoutos.

I think I've gotten way too behind on this show and it's time to catch up.

Sorry priorities. I got imoutos waiting for me.

Shergal

Ghibli dead to me, at least until Miyazaki steps aside. At least I have the new Takahata film to look forward to.

And speaking of Ghibli and Anipages, the article on Yoshiyuki Momose is pretty insightful. I wonder if he doesn't want to direct, because he seems like an obvious choice for helming a big project.

zeroshiki

Ghibli dead to me, at least until Miyazaki steps aside. At least I have the new Takahata film to look forward to.

And speaking of Ghibli and Anipages, the article on Yoshiyuki Momose is pretty insightful. I wonder if he doesn't want to direct, because he seems like an obvious choice for helming a big project.

I'll take a bet that Kaze Tachinu is better than Kaguya-hime. Takahata gets lionized way too much. Miyazaki can make a good movie if he puts his heart into it and it seems like he's going to do that with this new movie.

Jex

I'll take a bet that Kaze Tachinu is better than Kaguya-hime. Takahata gets lionized way too much. Miyazaki can make a good movie if he puts his heart into it and it seems like he's going to do that with this new movie.

Most people probably don't even know who Takahata is!

zeroshiki

Most people probably don't even know who Takahata is!

Well, among the hipsters here in AnimeGaf I mean. Takahata is without a doubt a great director but Miyazaki is still better IMO.

He's known here as the guy who did that incredibly depressing Ghibli movie.

Actually, a lot of people are surprised to find out that Grave isn't a Miyazaki movie. For most people, Ghibli = Miyazaki sadly.

Shergal

Well, Miyazaki also gets hyped to the stratosphere whenever he farts. And Takahata can also put his heart into a movie and make it great!

yami4ct

The more I watch of Gintama, the more I appreciate the little things it does. The music in particular is something that's really starting to stand out to me over time. I mean, take this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPgVDHmxz9c

They've overused that little bit of music so much. It shouldn't work, yet it does. Part of the reason it still works is all the ways they cut it up and remix it, yet it's just a wonderful little track. I can't tell you how many great, emotional moments in that show purely work based on that one piece of music.

Also, I've yet to hear an OP or ED that I haven't liked. That's really rare for a shonen show.

zeroshiki

Well, Miyazaki also gets hyped to the stratosphere whenever he farts. And Takahata can also put his heart into a movie and make it great!

I'm just saying that Miyazaki's best is better than Takahata's best in my eyes.

No doubt Miyazaki is excessively praised and probably doesn't deserve some of the praise he gets. He deserves most of it though.

From the New World 19:
Well, that was pretty much a perfect piece of television. The tension, the direction, the music, everything was top notch.

The scene where they wipe out the Monster Rats and you see Saki's reaction to it and it hits you. And then while Saki and the other girl are trying to deal with what they did, the big, impressive leader man is all on his macho kick...until he finds out there could be more danger and promptly stays in the boat (you know, right after suggesting they just firebomb the whole hospital).

The hospital scenes were nothing short of incredible. The cuts, the suggestions, and everything. They were able to convey what sort of horror had happened to Kuramichi without actually showing anything. And then you get to the next room and start hearing what they're saying and you're just like "motherfucking ogre time". But no one ever says that words in the entire episode. And that just makes it all the better, because they just keep building up the tension, building up the mystique and you see just how scared shitless all of the characters are that they're refusing to say it.

That scene with the door in the hospital was gripping. It was masterfully directed and had me jumping as I watched. Aided by the great sound design all through the episode. They created some genuine horror there. The final scene also had that same feeling. You wonder what would possess anyone to think of something like this as a weapon they could use to their advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom