• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

This can't even be real. I'm so glad I never picked this show up. Just, wow.

zensKl.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
Reminds me of that Lupin special Ben wrote about where he said the animation was so bad that it looked like there was no inbetweens.

Now there's a real example.

yami4ct

Ahh, I remember now. A-1 Pictures is a fucking worthless studio but atleast they animated the :mor.

A-1 is doing Space Brothers and Shinsekai, right? In that case, they're far from worthless. Those shows may get a little inconsistent at times, but this Magi stuff is just insane. I honestly can't believe it's the same studio.

Branduil

A-1 is doing Space Brothers and Shinsekai, right? In that case, they're far from worthless. Those shows may get a little inconsistent at times, but this Magi stuff is just insane. I honestly can't believe it's the same studio.

It seems to me they took on more shows than they could handle. SSY has had problems with inconsistency too, although none as bad as this Magi episode.

yami4ct

It seems to me they took on more shows than they could handle. SSY has had problems with inconsistency too, although none as bad as this Magi episode.

That would be my guess as well. Looking at what's going on, they have an insane number of shows going on. Perhaps they thought Magi would be more popular and be able to support more of a budget. Perhaps they thought Space Brothers would be less popular and end sooner. Who knows. They probably just bit off more than they can chew.

zeroshiki

Its not just the studio but you need to look at the staff involved too.

Alot of people look at the studio though and A-1 did a bang up job of dirtying their name with this travesty.

yami4ct

Its not just the studio but you need to look at the staff involved too.

Alot of people look at the studio though and A-1 did a bang up job of dirtying their name with this travesty.

It would take a BONES level of consecutive failures before I write off a studio completely, but they did a good job putting a giant shit stain on their name with Magi.

Dresden

No one's going to give a shit about Magi (or the 'reputation' for a studio like A-1) when it's over, at least until the sequel gets announced.

Dresden

Also, after some of those SAO and SpaceBros caps, I wonder if they have anyone checking engrish spelling.

When you guys post photos of people I should know, but I don't, I feel like a really bad anime fan. I'm really bad with faces in general, though, so it'd probably be a problem no matter what.

That's Kawahara, author of SAO.

cajunator

Banned
Terribly unoptimized, but I don't have Photoshop so I don't even give a damn.

Hhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnggghhhh.
Ok I feel a little better.

I thought you claimed you couldn't see the differences in animation between different anime projects, you liar!

I certainly cannot.

Poor Hosoda really wanted to be a part of Ghibli. :(

Got rejected by Ghibli as a new hire and then got canned off a high profile movie when he was already established.

Then again, if he had stayed, we might not have gotten Tokikae, Summer Wars or Wolf Children so I guess it evens out.

Great movies.
As entertaining as ghibli films.
Not as well made though.

Moonlight

Banned
The more I think about this, the crazier it gets. It's shattered all of my preconceptions in regards to standards in production quality for reasonably high profile shows. The minimal ones. This is the anti-Hyouka.

I don't think I've even seen a DEEN production so shameless.

yami4ct

The more I think about this, the crazier it gets. It's shattered all of my preconceptions in regards to standards in production quality for reasonably high profile shows. The minimal ones. This is the anti-Hyouka.

I don't think I've even seen a DEEN production so shameless.

I just can't believe someone would leave out whole animations. This is a whole different level of low production values. At least JoJo doesn't try to cover it up. They just go with crazy colors and still frames.

OceanBlue

Isn't A-1 mostly just a studio that hires a ton of freelance animators using dat aniplex money? If that's the case, you can't expect too much consistency between their works.

The mismanagement of Magi is another issue, but I don't think you'll get much from comparing Magi to shows like iM@S.

fertygo

Space bro is low budget NTV show though, Madhouse doing same stuff for Chihayafuru and Kaiji.

The Magi's case are embarrassing because its supposed to being high-profile project, now its look same or worse than Fairy Tail's anime. A-1 got that too iirc.

Branduil

To be fair to Space Bros it's a long-running weekly show. Bad-quality draftsmanship is expected on that kind of show.

Let's just be glad A1 put lots of talented people on From the New World even though it's bombing. They obviously made the right decision since Magi will sell no matter how crappy it gets.

yami4ct

Space bro is low budget NTV show though, Madhouse doing same stuff for Chihayafuru and Kaiji.

The Magi's case are embarrassing because its supposed to being high-profile project, now its look same or worse than Fairy Tail's anime. A-1 got that too iirc.

Ow. That's a low blow. Well, at least Magi has character designs that don't make me want to gouge my eyes out.

yami4ct

At least Space Brother's low budget failings are typically detail oriented. They aren't major characters missing animations in a front and center scene. Most of the time, that show looks OK. Watchable at least. Seems like Magi is down right embarrassing.

Dresden

At least Space Brother's low budget failings are typically detail oriented. They aren't major characters missing animations in a front and center scene. Most of the time, that show looks OK. Watchable at least. Seems like Magi is down right embarrassing.

To be fair, this seems to be a one-time thing. For all its faults, at least it doesn't slip into InfernoCop-ville (until now).

yami4ct

They're also behind Fairy Tail which has less animation than Magi.

It's a pretty big studio.

Ya have to love that inverse curve of the longer running a show is, the worse it will end up looking. I mean, I understand why it happens. It's just really sad. Imagine what Magi will end up looking like if it keeps going though? Pretty soon, it'll just be a motion comic.

Moonlight

Banned
Ya have to love that inverse curve of the longer running a show is, the worse it will end up looking. I mean, I understand why it happens. It's just really sad. Imagine what Magi will end up looking like if it keeps going though? Pretty soon, it'll just be a motion comic.

JoJo is a motion comic. It implies a certain style and direction in the adaptation.

This doesn't look like a motion comic. It looks a motion tween flash project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom