• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

facetobloodshed.gif

Dilbert 2 is a classic.

Dresden

yama no susume - 07

This is her pack. It was made for her.

So after seven episodes, it's hit the length of one standard tv episode . . . and yet it feels like it's been longer than that; the show has covered more ground than you'd expect, and in a consistent, serial fashion, for a 3-min anime. Commendable stuff.

yami4ct

From the New World 19:
Well, that was pretty much a perfect piece of television. The tension, the direction, the music, everything was top notch.

I might need to rewatch it, but I didn't really get the same amazing feeling from 19 everyone else seems to have. The tension just didn't work for me. There was a ton of build up and no release. Pretty soon, I wasn't tense. I was just bored. It was by no means a bad episode, but it came no where near the high of 17 and 18 for me.

Shergal

From the New World 19:
Well, that was pretty much a perfect piece of television. The tension, the direction, the music, everything was top notch.

The scene where they wipe out the Monster Rats and you see Saki's reaction to it and it hits you. And then while Saki and the other girl are trying to deal with what they did, the big, impressive leader man is all on his macho kick...until he finds out there could be more danger and promptly stays in the boat (you know, right after suggesting they just firebomb the whole hospital).

The hospital scenes were nothing short of incredible. The cuts, the suggestions, and everything. They were able to convey what sort of horror had happened to Kuramichi without actually showing anything. And then you get to the next room and start hearing what they're saying and you're just like "motherfucking ogre time". But no one ever says that words in the entire episode. And that just makes it all the better, because they just keep building up the tension, building up the mystique and you see just how scared shitless all of the characters are that they're refusing to say it.

That scene with the door in the hospital was gripping. It was masterfully directed and had me jumping as I watched. Aided by the great sound design all through the episode. They created some genuine horror there. The final scene also had that same feeling. You wonder what would possess anyone to think of something like this as a weapon they could use to their advantage.

The great thing is that episode 20 seems like it will be as good as this one was. Arasan is returning to KA too :D

Articalys

I'll be honest, I like the "normal" style of Kaze Tachinu more than the watercolorish (or whatever it's called) sort of style that Kaguya-hime is using.

zeroshiki

I'll be honest, I like the more "normal" style of Kaze Tachinu than the more watercolorish (or whatever it's called) sort of style that Kaguya-hime is using.

I'm with this. Experimental is nice and all, but if you have to sit through something for 2 hours, I'd prefer something that I enjoy looking at.

duckroll

Tamako Market - Episode 6

ypjCwM0.jpg

What sort of weirdos like being scared? :(

Great episode. It was really enjoyable watching them get together and do something fun. The script was extra funny this week, and I laughed quite a bit. There were some really good scene compositions too, especially those low angle "horror cam" shots. It's kinda obscene how KyoAni shows feel sometimes in terms of polish. For an episodic haunted house gag episode, it really shouldn't look this good in a TV series. It felt extra :hyouka this week.

It's going to be interesting to see how the story develops from here, since it looks like things are going to get moving a little more next week. :)

Shergal

Tamako Market - Episode 6

Great episode. It was really enjoyable watching them get together and do something fun. The script was extra funny this week, and I laughed quite a bit. There were some really good scene compositions too, especially those low angle "horror cam" shots. It's kinda obscene how KyoAni shows feel sometimes in terms of polish. For an episodic haunted house gag episode, it really shouldn't look this good in a TV series. It felt extra :hyouka this week.

It's going to be interesting to see how the story develops from here, since it looks like things are going to get moving a little more next week. :)

From your impressions, you seem to be really enjoying the show. I'm just going to go ahead and ask- why do you dislike K-On! that much? It's pretty similar to TM tone-wise.

yami4ct

The OP that they played after Donten were very annoying to hear.

I like anything from redbaloon and DOES the most.

Anata Magic? I don't think I loved it, but I did end up enjoying that one as well. The redbaloon and DOES ones were fantastic, though. Totally agree on that.

Man, the episode of GinTama I just started is another Otsu episode. Ughh. The only character who's episodes I really don't like. She's totally run her course. The whole Japanese pop idol parody worked for a while, but I just don't really like it anymore. She's fine in small doses and her gags can work, but any time she get's a whole episode I just want to turn it off.

New Getter Robo 7

Why does Raikou all of a sudden have big-ass balloon tits? Pretty sure we saw her without armor in the last episode and they weren't that ridiculous.

Jex

New Getter Robo 7

Why does Raikou all of a sudden have big-ass balloon tits? Pretty sure we saw her without armor in the last episode and they weren't that ridiculous.

Go Nagai staple. Big strong women look identical to men but have horribly drawn and ludicrous looking breasts.

Jex

[Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo] - 1 to 4/End

Shin_gettervs.neo_getter.jpg

The true lesson of this series is that even America's best robot is no match for Japan's shittiest robot.

Good stuff. I know there's no continuity between these OVA's but I really wish I'd seen them in a different order. As in, the reverse order to how I actually watched them. I'd recommend going with Shin Getter vs Neo Getter Robo, then New Getter Robo and then Getter Robo: Armageddon.

fertygo

Anata Magic? I don't think I loved it, but I did end up enjoying that one as well. The redbaloon and DOES ones were fantastic, though. Totally agree on that.
Its annoy me they have that as OP after the fantastic Donten that I never skipped the opening sequence because its always make me feel good every starting episode, its a shame they don't have same thing to the set of episode that have Courtsean Arc.

Man, the episode of GinTama I just started is another Otsu episode. Ughh. The only character who's episodes I really don't like. She's totally run her course. The whole Japanese pop idol parody worked for a while, but I just don't really like it anymore. She's fine in small doses and her gags can work, but any time she get's a whole episode I just want to turn it off.

Which episode?

I just finished the official fan club arc lol, but its pretty fun because the focus is Hijikata (Toshi)

Episode/arc with him always the best.

yami4ct

Its annoy me they have that as OP after the fantastic Donten that I never skipped the opening sequence because its always make me feel good every starting episode, its a shame they don't have same thing to the set of episode that have Courtsean Arc.

Which episode?

I just finished the official fan club arc lol, but its pretty fun because the focus is Hijikata (Toshi)

Episode/arc with him always the best.

I think it was the beginning of that arc. Episode 157. I ended up turning it off to rewatch Shinsekai Yori 19. Not in the mood to wade through Otsu jokes for a bit of Hijikata funny. I'l check it out tomorrow.

fertygo

I think it was the beginning of that arc. Episode 157. I ended up turning it off to rewatch Shinsekai Yori 19. Not in the mood to wade through Otsu jokes for a bit of Hijikata funny. I'l check it out tomorrow.

Well, at least the three-four last episode of that arc is pretty good stuff.

Yeah its a 8 episode arc.

yami4ct

Well, at least the three-four last episode of that arc is pretty good stuff.

Yeah its a 8 episode arc.

8 episode Otsu arc? Uggggg. They better have something good up their sleeves or this will be so bad I'll have to skip it. Has potential to top the Yagyu arc as my least favorite.

yami4ct

Shinsekai Yori 19

Gave this a rewatch after seeing all the love. Enjoyed it much more the second time around. I think most of my problems from the first time were just me not paying enough attention. Still, I think the episode is hindered by some questionable directing and editing decisions. Particularly the moment involving the
death of one of their group
. It was so dark, I didn't even know what was going on. It wasn't until they explained it that I even knew something happened. Even then, I still have zero idea exactly what went down.

I will hand it to them on atmosphere, though. This episode just oozes it. The way they keep the camera tight on the characters a lot of the time. The use of shadow. For the most part, it really, really works. I still don't like it as much as 17 and 18, but it elevated itself to "meh" to "great".

CorvoSol

Mobile Suuuuuugh Guuuuuuhndam AGE 43

Something I hate about this show is everything. But more specifically that the opening credits show young Flit and Asemu hanging with Kio. Like their friends or something. But in reality Flit destroyed Asemu's life and is trying to do the same to Kio, and Asemu abandoned Kio and his mother to fight against his father.

AND THEN A RANDOM TRUCK FALLS ONTO THE MOON.

Flit says "No matter what" a LOT. He's definitely as insane as Ezelcant at this point. And if it wasn't for Ezelcant's ridiculous villain plot, he would be far and away the better leader. Aaaand now Eric or whatevs has literally invented a good plan and claimed it was Flit's to cover up the fact that Flit wanted them to commit genocide just now. That's right, characters are flat out lying to cover Flit's ass.

I see now why people hate Kio. His lectures are as painful as Kira's, but without any of the weight Kira's had. Kira delivered his to, you know, people he knew personally and could actually hope to change. And Kira had at least killed people and lost people before he could get away with this. Kio has lost like, no one, killed less, and doesn't know these people he's lecturing.

Not that it matters, because FOXDIE just killed his enemy for him. Or not. Instead xrounderxrounderxrounder has allowed her to control not her enemies, but their robots . . . somehow? Oh, and the obviously a slimeball villain is now acting . . . exactly the way he looks. Subtle this show is not. Oh and villains falling for bluffs because they are villains. Not even surprises in this show.

GOD DAMMIT NO NOT MORE OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCES WE BARELY EVEN KNOW WHO THIS GIRL IS UGH WHY THIS IS SOMEHOW EVEN WORSE THAN SHINN X STELLA'S AAAAAUGH

"What a clumsy ending" indeed.

Branduil

I imagine it was less "forgot" and more "we have no budget. No buddy really cares. Ah, fuck it. Just put it out as is".

China screwed them over.

I feel bad for the animator who did that scene since they actually did a good job. It's just lol because of the production team's incompetence in getting the inbetweening done.

yami4ct

This can't even be real. I'm so glad I never picked this show up. Just, wow.

As for the china not delivering on time, that's just insane. I can't even imagine how that happens. The animators who are putting this together must feel awful to have to ship such an inferior product because they got screwed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom