• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

I don't know what wrong with this.

Look at the wall.

tRTGuT9.jpg

Dresden

Well, that's good. I hope for the sake of those that like the show that the stuff from that episode is a one time mistake. No need to spoil their dreams any more.

I don't think budget or the quality of animation is the worry, it's just... everything else. The problem with the writing was clear from day one. Then all the other stuff followed.

yami4ct

Well, at least A-1 hasn't made a mistake like this yet.

persona+4+quality+animation+holy+crap+two+chies.jpg

Ever since someone pointed that out, it's become one of my favorite animation errors.

cajunator

Banned

Wow.
Thats fucking awful.

China screwed them over.

I feel bad for the animator who did that scene since they actually did a good job. It's just lol because of the production team's incompetence in getting the inbetweening done.

Yeah definitely feel for that guy.
His work is highly important but inbetweens are necessary to make his work effective.

Ahh, I remember now. A-1 Pictures is a fucking worthless studio but atleast they animated the :mor.

No.
They did a great job with Sora no Woto and Kannagi.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's probably just more animation and better animators, but it'd be easier to tell with clips.

Is it like the difference between playing a game at 30fps and playing a game at 60fps?

Err, what Branduil said probably.

more budget = more and better animators = more animation

I thought you claimed you couldn't see the differences in animation between different anime projects, you liar!

It just looks weird... I imagine if I watched The Hobbit in HFR, this is what it would look like. lol

Maybe 7th was right, TV anime is still a lot more so you don't really notice that the character movements are janky. Or maybe it's some mental process that fills in the missing frames and I just don't notice what TV anime looks like.

At that point, I wonder if it looked weird because the animation is somewhere between whatever TV anime looks like and 24fps. By the time I finished Momo, I gotten used to it (it only took 3 hours if you count the two movies lol), but it just felt off for some reason.

When I was younger, I remember watching Grave of the Fireflies and being perplexed why the characters seemed to move more naturally than the more modern anime of the time. Grave was like 20 years old at that point and it still animated better. It was a really weird disconnect that I never understood until I got into the whole anime scene.

Speaking of which though, I don't remember noticing the weird look when I watched Arrietty and Poppy Hill. I don't know if I just didn't care at the time or if Ghibli is just that good though.

Adachi could make a manga about Samba dancing and it'd be the same kind of awesome. Adachi is my hero.
All you need is a dead relative and off you go!

---

Oh right, A Letter to Momo. I'm not quite sure what I think about it. At the very least, it's much better than Toshokan Sensou. I almost wonder if the guys that were working on Toshokan hated the guys that were working on Momo because they knew they were stuck on the lower budget and less prestigious cash-grab franchise movie. It reminds me of how Volition was split between Saints Row 3 and the bad Red Faction game last year. :p

The movie itself was a strange mix of E.T. and Natsume, which I think is fine since it draws directly from a readily identifiable culture. I figure all those shitty ghost hunting shows and Paranormal Activity movies have ruined ghosts and creatures for American audiences anyway. It's just that the middle section was a bit weird... for me, it wasn't clear how Momo became friends with the yokai. It's more like she's forced to put up with them and their annoyances before it almost completely ruins her life. It took a bit away from the last act which should have felt like Iron Giant but instead fell a little flat.

That said, it got a bit misty in the final scene. What a great :firehawk moment.

bfbxo4ll.jpg

Nice boat(s).

I'm glad I finally got this out of the way though. That said, I've come to realize that Japan/Asia really, REALLY likes to go back to the "dead family member" well over and over again. I mean, I can understand why - particularly in Asia - but it makes a lot of the "serious" stories a bit formulaic. But hey, at least there was no fake-incest drama like in some other anime.

cajunator

Banned
The more I think about this, the crazier it gets. It's shattered all of my preconceptions in regards to standards in production quality for reasonably high profile shows. The minimal ones. This is the anti-Hyouka.

I don't think I've even seen a DEEN production so shameless.

Deen has made some REALLY cheap shows.
I love them to death though.

I just can't believe someone would leave out whole animations. This is a whole different level of low production values. At least JoJo doesn't try to cover it up. They just go with crazy colors and still frames.

Well the in betweeners screwed them.
There is no wy to tell who was at fault.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
At least Space Brother's low budget failings are typically detail oriented. They aren't major characters missing animations in a front and center scene. Most of the time, that show looks OK. Watchable at least. Seems like Magi is down right embarrassing.
Really? I wonder how much time in an average Space Bros. episode is just stills.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like.

Also, Akane might not look terrible if this was the case?
Akane base design isn't so bad, it's just the animators can't draw her well. She always seems to have droopy eyes. This is why smirking Akane or puffing Akane look so much better. No droppy eyes.

The iDOLM@STER 22

Christmas party episode that honestly wasn't quite as enjoyable as I thought it'd be. Maybe it's because Miki has hit it big when she's one of the worst ones. Come on. How is Makoto not "new idol of the year" or whatever. Or Takane, or Azusa, or Chihaya? They're so much better.
Now you know why everyone (sane) hates her. She is the Kirito of the iDOLM@STER universe.

On this subject, the other day my wife showed me this hentai (we skipped to the scene), where the MC puts some kind of flute or recorder in his sister's butt (or vagina?). When they get to banging, the flute just starts to move around and begins making sounds with his thrusting. Unintentionally or not, it was incredibly hilarious and we both lost our shit for a minute listening to it.

I recorded and uploaded the sound just so you guys can experience it - (nsfw audio)
ibgCO3Q8uylAiq.png

Music to me ears.

For a second I thought I heard one of the Donkey Kong songs playing in the background.
HA HA HA.
What better song is there to get your groove on to?

Would we have to put all out gifs through the Tumblr filter?

Well we already got one so far.
The other day I was told that someone thought Billichu (or Emitan as she goes by now) och moi were the same person (guess I come off more girly than I realised) so there is more logic in DTL's list than I gave it credit for.

Kanna is best girl. Midori dresses like a mom.
Appealing to the Christmas Cake market.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Terribly unoptimized, but I don't have Photoshop so I don't even give a damn.
Don't sweat it. Only the insane will care.

Made a mistake and checked out Sentai's Gintama dub. Wooooh. That one hurt. It's like all the characters had their souls sucked out. So much of the humor missed due to miss casting and bad direction. Shame. I mean, Gintama would be tough to dub, but doable. I'm not a huge fan of Sentai's dub work, but this was extra low. Probably hurt worse due to my love of the characters, though.
Sometimes you wonder why they even bother. It would be cheaper just to sub and release.

Milamber

Has this mistake been documented before in other shows?
Tamako Market had several disappearing cels, like the jellyfish in the coffee house, people in the background and edges of Dera's wings while flying close up.

Mondaiji got that same problem too with background objects just popping away. I believe I gif'd that scene...

ixO7ZCUhQDMtd.gif

Check that water seed behind her ear.

Defuser

To be fair, most of magi hype got deflated the moment Hiroyuki Yoshino got announced for script. That man got the touch of shit, I expect he will ruin vividred operation later on.

Branduil

To be fair, most of magi hype got deflated the moment Hiroyuki Yoshino got announced for script. That man got the touch of shit, I expect he will ruin vividred operation later on.

But the thing is that a lot of the problems don't even relate to the script.

Natsume Yuujinchou 1-49
monsterc.png

Really good series. Athmosphere was like a mix of Mushishi and Aria. Some scary scenes and sadness but overall very lighthearted. It was nice to watch couple of episodes before going to bed as usually they left me with smile on my face. Got little teary during some episodes too... Animation was pretty decent and soundtrack was great. Really looking foward to inevitable fifth season (fourth season blu-rays sold over 10k per average and manga is selling well...)

Cat was also awesome
newpicturetx.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
qUhcSzAl.jpg

Happy AnimeGAF Valentines!

----

qJmPqSFl.jpg

Also, hey, foreign companies don't care if we use their logos in our anime! How oddly random... even the K-On movie didn't have the Air Canada logo!

Funny enough, the lettering is so shit on that logo. It's like they didn't even bother using a ruler, let alone a stencil. lol

wonzo

Banned
Windy Tales 6

It's really impressive how this show manages to turn these fairly simple and uneventful happenings like fifth graders kicking a can around into these really poignant and engrossing tales of the wind. It really does end up leaving at a loss of words to describe it. Seriously though, if you haven't seen this then you're missing out on something really special. I say this as the next episode looks like it has the potential to be an something truly astounding.

Jin-Roh

It's been a while since I watched this, but yeah, this is still an excellent film. I can't help but feel it's under-appreciated. Why can't Okiura direct more stuff?

DiGiKerot

Tamako Market had several disappearing cels, like the jellyfish in the coffee house, people in the background and edges of Dera's wings while flying close up.

Mondaiji got that same problem too with background objects just popping away. I believe I gif'd that scene...

ixO7ZCUhQDMtd.gif

Check that water seed behind her ear.

Huh.

To be fair, though, even things like Fate/Zero had at least a couple of clear animation errors (at least I seem to remember half of Sola-Ui's arm disappearing for a frame or two in one episode of series, and Wavers tie is hilariously inconsistent in some scenes). There was a pretty blatant continuity error with Nico pulling off her facemask in episode 5 of Love Live as well, but I guess that's a different kind of error all together (and that whole episode is a continuity mess if you actually stop and think about what's going on in it). KyoAni, at least, have a pretty good history of correcting the most blatant issues when they do the home releases, so I'd presume they'll correct that stuff with Tamako, at least.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Magi, though. The only A1 production I can remember doing a deliberate broadcast-BD comparison for was iM@S for selected episodes, and aside from seemingly reanimating half of that Hibiki episode, there were only really sporadic, minor changes for the most part (like replacing all the hand drawn trains in the first episode with CG ones for no clear reason).

You'd hope that if they paid for the inbetweens for the Morgiana dance, they'd at least consider putting them in for the BD release, but I guess there'd still be a crapload of colouring and compositing to do or something.

It's not like everything Yoshino has ever written has been terrible, though. Setting aside a personal love for the HiME/ZHiME franchise, he has actually written a few legitimately good things in the past. I think Guilty Crown colours opinion on him way more than it probably should, though I admit he's not had a great batting average as of late (though there was nothing particularly wrong with adaptation work on Accel World, from what I remember, that wasn't inherently grounded in the original work).

(Don't mean to sound like a Magi apologist - I don't even watch the show or read the manga!)

Caesnd

Who came up with the idea to start bundling separate concept art work with BD releases? I sort of want to let that person know how bad he/she should feel about it.

Jubern

Message from the Gintama staff after today's rerun (Katsura in prison):

"You can laugh if you want, you can kill us if we want, but we swear the second movie is actually in production!!"

lulz?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
At least none of us have fallen so far as to start feeding cake to the monitor... right?

The cake is good, isn't it, Taiga-cha-...

Oh, um...

*ahem*

R-right, yeah...I'm sure none of us have done that.

On a completely unrelated note, has anybody seen my monitor cloth?

Hi GAf ! Happy Valen

Gintama%20-%20204.jpg

I don't have flowers since i've spent all my time either :
-working on my cloud computing project
-spending time on animegaf

i hope she'll forgive me !

The 2nd movie already announced for awhile.

They are joking about the movie saying that it wll fail , that they're not ready stuff like that....

sonicmj1

Windy Tales 6

Possibly the most nostalgic episode so far, this does a nice job of quietly building on the same themes of maturity and loss of innocence that were in the last episode. The soundtrack is also pretty great.

iVledqndLst3r.jpg

I liked this flashlight effect. All the visual shorthand in this show for non-physical things (light, wind) is fun to see.

Maybe someday, we'll all be able to get together and kick cans again.

If you buy another figurine of her I'm sure she will.

"it's not my fault ! i'm broke ATM . i need to buy 3 dvd/blu-rays sets and there are plenty of figurines that cost a lot ( too much )"

Ps: The picture i've posted has nothing to do with the fact that i may have or not someone in my life (IRL).

Ps+: That said i don't think i saw a tsuki figurine already .....

Jubern

The 2nd movie already announced for awhile.

Yeah, everybody knows that. But if you didn't notice, production is, uh... not going very smoothly to say the least, and even became the target of running jokes. Among the staff themselves.

They actually reminded us this week (through Kagura) that they fucked up royally when they announced, about one year ago, that Sorachi had basically finished the story's planning, highlighting how well things were supposedly goint.

(Not shitting on the series or anything, it's my favourite thing ever. I'm just finding very amusing they can - or rather dare - joke so openly about this situation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom