• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Wandering Son 6

damnsondujin.png

Damn. Get wrecked, Fumiya.

Mako fighting his insecurities about
being Juliet
made for a character episode that flowed well. It didn't feel segmented and even though the play (
The start of Mako's life as "Juliet"
) was inevitable. The haunted house (a.k.a.
"Let us forget about all worries and youthfully scream"
time) worked really well in not taking focus away from anything while giving to the characters, as did the play! It was another good episode.

Additionally, Mako's mother
teasing
him made for a real nice ending.

wonzo

Banned
Polar Bear Cafe 44

polarbear44.jpg

Wow. This is easily the last show I'd expect to pull something like this and that's most likely why it was as powerful and moving as it turned out to be.
To see Panda just die inside like that was heartbreaking and it brought tears to my eyes when he had a complete breakdown in front of the part time worker. Doubly so when Mr. Penguin stood up for him like that.
If this episode had aired last year it would've single handedly put this series above even Hyouka as my #1 AOTY vote as this really did manage to touch me in such a way few things ever can.
See you later, Mr. Full-Time Panda.

polarbear44a.jpg

Conan-san

Vividred is annoying to me, on one hand it's ;

ccBUUul.gif

On the other it's

ibyDiwaxi3eZKM.gif

I'd watch a spin off of Grandpa Weasel just doing Science and other such whacky nonsese but I could really care less for the war on trousers.

Jarmel

Banned
Robotics;Note 17-

I just want to say both the male and female lead are pieces of shit. Everything about this show is vastly inferior to Steins;Gate.

Quasar

Haganai Next 6

Looks like we're going to make it all the way through the end of volume 6 with the next episode. They're really flying through these, aren't they?

I wonder why they are in such a rush.

Also...maybe my memory is terrible, but Sena in the anime seems way way way way way way more gullible.

Shergal

Paranoia Agent 8 (Warning: Some light spoilers for the episode and show ahead. I apologize, but having half of the post in black bars is kind of uncomfortable.)

vy4cVjj.jpg

It's nice coming back to the classics from time to time, when the taste of their greatness is leaving the mind and it feels like it's time to re-experience some of the best things anime can offer yet again.

Episode 8 - "Happy Family Planning" is without doubt the high point of Paranoia Agent, and a great display of Satoru Utsunomiya's mastery of the craft, among the myriad of amazing animators who worked on the episode (Hiroyuki Okiura, Norio Matsumoto, Takeshi Honda, Toshiyuki Inoue, Tetsuya Nishio, among some others).

It's a self-contained story, and as such it's not really necessary to be familiar with the series' main story or characters, although there are some minor cameos (particularly the identities of "FOX" and "Horse").

As soon as the opening ended, I was greeted with this shot, already forecasting the oddly appealing quality of the framing (and the animation too). An old man walking through the streets of Tokyo. At face value, it doesn't seem like much, but we are in Paranoia Agent's Japan, so we know something unsettling is bound to happen.

And boy does the episode deliver. It is particularly light in tone, more so than the other parts of the show, and most of the happenings in the episode are comedic in nature. But what makes it so delightfully disturbing is the subject matter: the three main characters -Zebra, Fuyubachi and Kamome- have wacky hijinks as they try and fail to kill themselves.

One would expect such a topic to be handled with utmost seriousness, more so in a show like this where almost everything is serious and gritty, but (cleverly, in my opinion) the value of life is portrayed as something to laugh at. We accompany these characters as they repeatedly show their incompetence at ending their lives, and this is depicted in a very comedic, almost slapstick-ish way, set to a "funny" lighthearted BGM.

There is some delicious black comedy going on in this episode that arises from the dissonance between the execution and the actual events we're being presented with. Kamome even throws cute little tantrums about wanting to suicide with the other two protagonists, like it was something as mundane as buying an ice cream in the shop across the street.

The script doesn't miss its chance to make subtle commentary about some issues of contemporary Japanese life (or at least, of Paranoia Agent's vision of Japan), while simultaneously integrating some backstory for the characters and how they came to be in this situation seamlessly into a quirky, jumpy and very enjoyable pace.

The most incredible aspect of this episode for me was the twist. It's one of those "a-ha!" moments that makes you go back and check to see if they're pulling it out of their ass, only to be overwhelmed with fascination when it turns out it had been in your face all the time.

In fact, there are some not-really-that-subtle shots emphasizing the shadows and how our main trio is devoid of them:

Very attentive viewers will see this right away, but most people probably didn't even care, and even those who noticed it while watching probably attached it to production fuck ups or something along those lines. But then, as the narrative seems like it'll go into yet another gag about becoming an hero, that scene happens and BAM!, they hit you right in the face with it. Everything that follows is simply perfect, from the animation of the old man's reaction, to the funnily awesome photograph scene that ends the episode on the same note it began: whimsy, disturbing and fascinating.

This is some grade-S, good-good-good stuff. EVERYTHING fits together perfectly. The framing, editing and idiosyncratic animation style (Utsunomiya was the AD, after all) are in service of a tightly crafted script to create a truly memorable piece of animation.
Incidentally, this whole episode feels like a feature film crammed into 20 minutes of runtime. And the best thing is that it works perfectly with that amount of time. It never drags, it never feels like it should be longer, it has a very high density of content while never losing its groove.

R.I.P. Satoshi Kon, you were truly the genius behind the geniuses that crafted this little film. It's no coincidence that this sort of display happens in a show of his, who was a man of a great vision.

As a footnote, I challenge animeGAF to present a self-contained anime episode that can top this one. To make it narrower, something that came out after its airing (~2004).

Robotics;Note 17-

I just want to say both the male and female lead are pieces of shit. Everything about this show is vastly inferior to Steins;Gate.
Yep, In every single way.

Characters
Okabe >>>>>>>>>>>>> Kai
Future Gadget Lab >> Robotics Club

Story
Conspiracy Plot
Time Machine >> Robotics
SERN >>>> Committee of 300

Soundtrack

Art

Show needs alot more focus.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Shows you how often I use MAL...

It was one time! ONE TIME!
A man gets branded a killer after just one time.
Watching an ep of Heartcatch for Reg-chan's birthday.

Heartcatch Precure 13

fuuuuuuuck
lol'd @ dark precure wrecking Tsubomi and Erika
Best birthday gift.
oh damn forgot about Precure CGI EDs. maybe i shouldn't have watched that.
But Heartcatch's ED is good.
Apparently, it's Regulus' birthday. Thus I shall express my wishes of happiness for him:

Happy birthday!
Happy birthday Regulus and Lafiel.
why are we blessing birthdays of real people here? Surely there isn't a waifu birthday today too like every other day of the year?

happy bday regulus and laf
I knew there was a reason I felt so connected to regulus.
Happy belated birthday to Regulus and Lafiel!
Hmmm... cake.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Polar Bear Cafe 44

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/polarbear44.jpg

Wow. This is easily the last show I'd expect to pull something like this and that's most likely why it was as powerful and moving as it turned out to be.
To see Panda just die inside like that was heartbreaking and it brought tears to my eyes when he had a complete breakdown in front of the part time worker. Doubly so when Mr. Penguin stood up for him like that.
If this episode had aired last year it would've single handedly put this series above even Hyouka as my #1 AOTY vote as this really did manage to touch me in such a way few things ever can.
See you later, Mr. Full-Time Panda.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/polarbear44a.jpg

Finally someone watched this awesome episode.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Mornin'

Random musing: If anime characters were moé WoMDs, Cure Peace from Smile Precure and Tsukimi from Acchi Kocchi would be nuclear bombs.

Maedhros

Seeing all these posts with you guys being depressed without a girlfriend makes me feel...

Great.

So... GuP in March. Robotic:Notes and Psycho Pass both on the IT'S HAPPENING modes (loving both of them so far, still need to watch the most recent episodes). Jojo still Jojo, with hot hot hot MILF Lisa Lisa.

cajunator

Banned
Seeing all these posts with you guys being depressed without a girlfriend makes me feel...

Great.

So... GuP in March. Robotic:Notes and Psycho Pass both on the IT'S HAPPENING modes (loving both of them so far, still need to watch the most recent episodes). Jojo still Jojo, with hot hot hot MILF Lisa Lisa.

I am the eternally friendzoned.

Noirulus

Great.

Eh. I don't at all feel bothered by the fact that I don't have a girlfriend. WHO NEEDS 3D ANYWAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom