• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

I'm kind of sad that nobody answered the question I asked earlier, so I'm going to shamelessly repost it:

Paranoia Agent 8
As a footnote, I challenge animeGAF to present a self-contained anime episode that can top this one. To make it narrower, something that came out after its airing (~2004).

Is anyone up for the task?

Is Working!! worth putting up with Working! for? Mind you, I only saw one episode of Working before dropping it, I just didn't find it very amusing. Might not have been in the right mindspace for it though.

Its pretty unfunny and really goes nowhere, there are much better shows to spend your time on, and it has one of the most aggravating characters in recent anime (Yamada).

CorvoSol

OH GOD IS HE CRYING? REALLY?

"USE THE POWER UP THAT LET'S YOU STAY ALIVE!"

"NNNOOOOOOO I DON'T WANT TO! I COULD HURT SOMEONE!"

D-does that mobile suit have hips? WHAT?

UGH NOOOOOO IT IS TOO LATE IN THE SHOW TO DO ATHRUN VS. KIRA AAAAAGAAAAAAIN.

Is Working!! worth putting up with Working! for? Mind you, I only saw one episode of Working before dropping it, I just didn't find it very amusing. Might not have been in the right mindspace for it though.

Working S2 is much better than S1 because it has Yamada from the start, less Inami being a shit, and was overall funnier. Also better OP and ED.

ZetaEpyon

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE 46

I am sick of:
This show.
This show treating women like second class human beings. This captain and all others have had to always have their goddamn MAN around to boss them around or they're useless. All other women are either EVIL ACE PILOTS WHO LOST A MAN, or basically buckets into which Flit and his Flitlings deposit their seed and draw out new Flitlings.
Asuno's ALWAYS winning. Have they ever lost a fight? Ever?
The ridiculous headgear the Vagan wear.
Seeing the racist Flit treated as sympathetic or heroic in anyway, when he is OBVIOUSLY the villain of this series.
The recycled characters/designs. SERIOUSLY. Every character in Arc 3 IS a character from Arc 1.
These terrible mecha designs.
This show.

You can do it, man! Just power through at this point!

Branduil

I'm kind of sad that nobody answered the question I asked earlier, so I'm going to shamelessly repost it:

Is anyone up for the task?

Episode 20 of Penguindrum is really good, but only semi-self-contained.

The opening episode of Bunny Drop is great.

The Beard episode of Dennou Coil.

Episode 9 of Humanity Has Declined is fantastic.

And some of the Anime Mirai episodes if those count.

Jintor

Nichijou 08

Oh jesus god. An entire sequence about my ETERNAL NIGHTMARE, a fucking MOSQUITO in your room at goddamn 2AM. This has been happening every night for the past two weeks.

God that mosquito whine ARRRRGH

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nichijou 08

Oh jesus god. An entire sequence about my ETERNAL NIGHTMARE, a fucking MOSQUITO in your room at goddamn 2AM. This has been happening every night for the past two weeks.

I think you mean Nichijou 9. :D

ibdhfbNbL9w7c9.gif

No it's the Island episode.

Ohhhh, damn, how did I forget about that? Yeah, that one's great too.

Shit, I think I just need to rewatch the series. It's just so good.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 14

Holy fuck, they cranked the bizarreness in this one up to eleven.

It turns out that Anthy has a brother. And he's the interim chairman of the school. He likes to look at stars, and is engaged to the daughter of the current chairman. Alright. Normal enough so far.

Then the fiance of Anthy's brother goes for an "interview" in a building with a dark history. As she pours out her feelings, the confessional booth she's in starts plummeting down like an elevator shaft. She laments that Anthy doesn't like her (as if that wasn't obvious: you could feel Anthy's contempt in her eyes...even though her eyes were closed! When she asked Anthy to start calling her her sister, you would practically feel Anthy thinking "Yeah, whatever you blonde floozy slutbag"). Then she blames Anthy for her father falling ill. Then this freaky dude gives her a rose ring that has turned black because its previous wearer (along with 99 other duellists) died. Then this freaky dude and this other freaky dude (caught earlier plotting to win the Rose Bride just to kill her and put a new one in her place) make her join the "Black Rose" group or whatever. Brainwashing her essentially.

Then she duels Utena and Utena's all "Bitch, please. You ain't got shit on me." And Anthy's brother's fiance's memory goes blank.

Then at the end when Anthy goes to visit her brother, the atmosphere is rather....well...I think they had sex. He was all "Did you miss me, Anthy?" while sitting there with his shirt half-open. What the fuck is going on here?!

Except Gundam SEED was good and had likeable characters and cool mecha.

Gundam AGE is shit and has shit characters and shit mecha.

No wait, I'm sorry, that's Gundam SEED Destiny.

Gundam AGE can't have shit characters because it'd have to have characters and not fucking moechanics that die in two fucking episodes during an overly dramatic sequence. It'd have to have mecha and not MECHA GODZILLA. It would have to be something other than all the worst parts of Gundam cobbled together with pitiful attempts at ripping off all the good parts interspersed with ideas that are flat out stolen from other series (most notably the Gundam Titus being the GODDAMN RUSH POWER.)

Gundam AGE is about as good as ethnic cleansing, but at least twice as pointless. There is no curse word in English or Portuguese to describe how awful it is. Not only is it the worst Gundam show ever created, I dare say it's a competitor for the worst mecha show ever created. It's made all the worse by the fact than any time it looks like it's going to get good, it instead bends over and sucks Hino and Flit off.
Where is my clapclap.gif when i need it ?
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE 46

I am sick of:
This show.
This show treating women like second class human beings. This captain and all others have had to always have their goddamn MAN around to boss them around or they're useless. All other women are either EVIL ACE PILOTS WHO LOST A MAN, or basically buckets into which Flit and his Flitlings deposit their seed and draw out new Flitlings.
Asuno's ALWAYS winning. Have they ever lost a fight? Ever?
EXA-DB
The ridiculous headgear the Vagan wear.
Seeing the racist Flit treated as sympathetic or heroic in anyway, when he is OBVIOUSLY the villain of this series.
The recycled characters/designs. SERIOUSLY. Every character in Arc 3 IS a character from Arc 1.
These terrible mecha designs.
This show.

i disagree .. there is no
wolf
in part 3 and you forgot that everything in part 3 is a worse version than the already bad character from part 1.

Narag

Gundam AGE 13

TyGEIVDl.png

Poor Emily.

Yeah, the Diva's transformation put a dumb grin on my face. Episode itself was pretty darn exciting. I guess one benefit of being attached to the Gundam franchise is I have this fear of getting Tomino'd in any important encounter ingrained into me. :lol

Jintor

Oh man, I actually managed to id Aya Hirano's 'next episode' voice before it announced it. She was pretty much just using her Haruhi voice though.

duckroll

I think it's kinda pointless looking for a stand alone episode of a show which is "better than Paranoia Agent episode 8" because that's such a random comparison. The entire point of stand alone episodes in series are that they allow directors to try something different and unique, which also means we're looking at episodes which are specifically meant to do very different things. I think people can name a lot of great stand alone episodes in various shows, but are they specifically better than [x] or [y]? It's almost impossible to say really, that's before even going into subjectivity and taste.

CorvoSol

i disagree .. there is no
wolf
in part 3 and you forgot that everything in part 3 is a worse version than the already bad character from part 1.

Asemu is
Woolf

Gundam AGE 13

Yeah, the Diva's transformation put a dumb grin on my face. Episode itself was pretty darn exciting. I guess one benefit of being attached to the Gundam franchise is I have this fear of getting Tomino'd in any important encounter ingrained into me. :lol

You can't get Tomino'd because
everybody dies before you can care about them.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think it's kinda pointless looking for a stand alone episode of a show which is "better than Paranoia Agent episode 8" because that's such a random comparison. The entire point of stand alone episodes in series are that they allow directors to try something different and unique, which also means we're looking at episodes which are specifically meant to do very different things. I think people can name a lot of great stand alone episodes in various shows, but are they specifically better than [x] or [y]? It's almost impossible to say really, that's before even going into subjectivity and taste.
What if we compare them to [C]?

Jintor

I really like the random small things in Nichijou like all the crossing lights being birds for no apparent reason

Also the music is really good and pompous

Jarmel

Banned
F/Z Einzbern Consultation Room Special #2-

I like how they gave up trying to explain magic. "Magic is magic". Nasu strikes again.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 04

The schoolkids take a class trip to a museum where Pissard lives up to his name. What a jerk. Also a bit of Mipple/Mepple's past is revealed and how they came to earth.
Have I mentioned that this show is cute as fuck because THIS SHOW IS CUTE AS FUCK.

Working is great, and Yamada is the cutest.

43hMXNK.png

*worships Yamada

I've actually heard of Working'!! myself (tried watching the first episode on CR the other day but it didn't really hook me), just never see it brought up in the thread.

Oh man dude. Working is sooooooo awesome! Aside from being adorable it is quite funny at times. It will make you feel happy. Just listen to the OP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJjT50rRfok

Any episode of Usagi Drop especially the first.

What do I win?

You win life. Any episode of Usagi Drop is quite special.

Nichijou 08

Ahh those Louisiana summer nights, when there is not one but an army of mosquito drones in the house, their mechanical whine echoing through the corridors warning of an impending itchfest.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Re: Cutie Honey] 3
Shit hit the fan, :sdburton happened, the world was on the brink of collapse, and just like that we got to the end of this. Yamaguchi-led GAINAX does a much improved job at this silly plot nonsense than the guys at Toei could afford with their meager Toei budgets, and the classic GAINAX flashbacks hit me like a tentacle hits a schoolgirl.
Woah, did I start watching Evangelion by mistake? Yamaguchi is indeed a vital part of the Rebuild project, but the amount of Annoisms in this episode makes me reconsider my early position that he was too busy with the live-action Cutie Honey to even touch the animated sideshow. This was the last place I was expecting to find his favourite tropes in.
Wait a minute, are those the guys from Asuka Strikes? ANNO YOU BIG FAT HACK
There was one bit of Imaishi during this episode that looked incredibly out of place with the more grounded action that surrounded it. Super freaking weird to have it here, if you ask me.

===

[Re: Cutie Honey] FIN

Episode 1 - :7th with a side of :chet
Episode 2 - :wonzo
Episode 3 - :sdburton

Well, that was a thing GAINAX did once with Toei. I thought the Imaishi episode was the best one. You can tell how much the guy loves Go Nagai, plus his style just totally fits a silly super heroine show like this one. If you want to check this out I would recommend skipping episode two altogether, as there is very little to like in it beyond the naked women, of which there is plenty in the rest.

Verdict? I don't know. It's too inconsistent for me to label it anything. I'll give 3 pairs of tits and asses out of 5 because I'm a pussy and I'm way too tired to write anything coherent at the moment.

Jintor

Holy shit this incredibly stupid yet amazing noodles on a half-bamboo rod skit

I have no god damn idea what's happening but the execution is amazing

CorvoSol

I don't know. I do get attached pretty fast!

There are exactly three likeable characters in Gundam AGE. None of them are good characters, and none of them are the godawful moechanic.

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE 47 I wish I cared about any of these characters, because it would've been dramatic if I had. To accomplish this implausible feat, all Hino would have had to do was focus time on them instead of xrounderxrounderxrounderxrounderexadbexadbexadb

Oh, and
dead girl in a box on a mobile suit.
Who writes this?

EDIT: HOW DARE YOU SALUTE YOU MOTHER EFFING-- HE WOULDN'T EVEN
be dead
IF IT WASN'T FOR YOUR RACIST WAYS YOU BASTARD.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Revolutionary Girl Utena 13

Recap episodes. Everybody loves recap episodes.
Never skip a recap episode, especially if Anno or Ikuhara are involved (FUCK YOU guys, the musical episode in Nadia was hilarious).
I watched a couple to try to make a go of it... just didn't work for me sadly. But as one of the most "canonical" anime of the 90s, it's almost like I should give it another shot. lol
It's a sports anime from before the turn of the century. Your enjoyment of it is directly proportional to how much you can endure tremendous amounts of filler and dragged out sports matches.
(It's on the same backlog as GTO and Utena :p)
smh
Revolutionary Girl Utena 14

What the fuck is going on here?!
Welcome to the Black Rose Saga. Get your mind ready for gratuitous symbolism.

Shergal

The Beard episode of Dennou Coil.

I had this one in mind when doing the post, it's also a really good story.
Better than Jintai's take on the same concept.

It is a very subjective question in the first place, and a bit of fishing for recommendations :p.

The level of minuteness with which PA 8 is constructed and executed is commendable though, and that's a pretty straightforward criteria in my books.

many people said:
Usagi Drop

I really need to get around to watch Usagi Drop, I think reading the manga and its horrible second half scared me away from the show at the time.

cajunator

Banned
I had this one in mind when doing the post, it's also a really good story.
Better than Jintai's take on the same concept.

It is a very subjective question in the first place, and a bit of fishing for recommendations :p.

The level of minuteness with which PA 8 is constructed and executed is commendable though, and that's a pretty straightforward criteria in my books.

I really need to get around to watch Usagi Drop, I think reading the manga and its horrible second half scared me away from the show at the time.

Forget everything in the second half of manga. It doesn't exist. Especially not in the anime.

Narag

Gundam AGE 14

omg
ninjagundam Flit dodging that fiveway attack from the Farsia was so damn cool. I knew Yurin would get Lalah'd though.
:lol I hope Flit carries that shit with him forever.
Wrecking the Titus to let the Diva in was damn hot too.

zeroshiki

Why should fanfiction scare you off?

Bunny Drop is one of the very best anime to be produced in years. If you watched it and didn't like it, it just means you're dead inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom