• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Not interesting, meaningful. I'd watch a series set in WW2 Japan from them, for example.

If you want to see robots fight other robots, there's already a glut of that stuff. I'd rather they just leave that to Sunrise or whomever.

Maybe KyoAni will have to do a otakubait money-maker show eventually though. :p

Well, Chuunibyou made them money but Hyouka was on the border and Tamako is looking to be the same. They're gonna be tempted to do otaku-bait soon since they're 1/4 in TV series the past 2 years.

Branduil

Well, Chuunibyou made them money but Hyouka was on the border and Tamako is looking to be the same. They're gonna be tempted to do otaku-bait soon since they're 1/4 in TV series the past 2 years.

I think Nichijou is the only show out of their last 4 you can call a failure right now.

Articalys

Two interesting guests for the North Carolina convention Animazement in late May: director Hiroshi Nagahama (Mushishi, Aku no Hana) and voice actor Ryusei Nakao (Freeza in DBZ).

By that time, Aku no Hana will be in full swing with several episodes already aired, so the Nagahama should be able to answer a lot of questions about it.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 06

BUY MORE OF OUR TOY SHIT!
Lemme Guess, the
prism stones
are sold separately?

This episode was literally devoted to selling a new toy. But its still cute and a lot of fun.
There is a new villain apparently and he kind of sucks. The others back at the lair look like they will be much more formidable (and interesting).
As far as music goes, this show has some neat BGM and a really catchy OP. I have listened to all of the transformation themes in Precure and I rank the original one third. When heard without sound effects it is a beautifully uplifting and exciting piece that really feels like a transformation song should. The bonus is that they extend the theme through the fight.
Oh and there was an ADORABLE little bear cub too.
Also, Pretty Cure Rainbow Therapy is NOTHING like Moon Healing Escalation they swear!
Oh wait there MORE TOY SHIT. So shameless, but so much fun.

Futari Wa Precure 07

Not much to say abgout this one. Nagisa's Lacrosse team is pretty ace but they lose a game due to her distractions. Gekidrago tries to wreck everything but the Precures put a quick end to that. Then of course Nagisa rejoins the team and wins the game. No new toys for now.

Futari Wa Precure 08

Nagisa and Honoka have a falling out. At first they wont even talk to each other, but as they realize their differences, it brings them closer together.
BUY THEIR DIARIES TODAY!

Futari Wa Precure 09

Mepple seems to be sick.
worse, he was confiscated by the prinicpal (he likes to confiscate manga).
Nagisa tries a bunch of things to get him back, but is unsuccessful. then Gekidrago creates a creepy as hell monster. Nagisa manages to trick him, because he's stupid and gets mepple back. This method of transformation has some SERIOUS drawbacks. If one of the characters is lost or one of the mascot creatures, they are screwed.

Futari Wa Precure 10

Honoka's parents fly in for her birthday. They are hard working jewelry resellers who travel the world. As they visit a jewelry store, it gets robbed and Honoka is separated. Honoka manages to talk the robbers out of it but Gekidrago appears looking for the stones. Honoka stands her ground as Nagisa finds a way inside. Then they take care of business. Honoka is reunited with her parents and all is well.
She is freaking adorable.

Ultimadrago

Dirty Pair: Project Eden

dirty-pairylrwt.jpg

A nicely animated, silly, enjoyable, yet faulty and long oldies music video with NSFW buns and WATTSMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

duckroll

From the New World - Episode 20

P73Viy5.jpg

Left this screen in HD so you can click to enlarge and see how awful CG can be when misused. :(

The story is getting really exciting, and at this point I can overlook almost any flaws in the visuals or direction. Almost. Still enjoyed the heck out of this episode, but it sure tried its hardest to stop me. Sloppy storyboarding, inconsistent direction, inconsistent art, animation of varying quality (from pretty damn great to average to plain dodgy), and CG BOULDERS. Yup, they're back. Just when you thought we saw the last of them in episode 6, they're baaaaack. Hopefully for the last time.

It was really quite distracting how jarring the scenes this week were. It felt like animators worked on many of the scenes independently without any sort of guidance or collaboration to fit into a larger whole. The art was also all over the place. Probably the worst episode in this third arc in terms of production clusterfuck. But still, really thrilling stuff. Great suspense. Solid atmosphere when required.

Looks like this story is going to be a winner all the way to the end. I'm certainly hooked. :)

wonzo

Banned
HeartCatch PreCure! 19

iZlAEad5M3wvH.gif

I almost forgot just how good this show is. Some great and charming animation mixed in with some pretty well written personal; conflicts. Great stuff really but I can't say I'm looking forward to
another fucking mascot... unless that means a new PRECURE?!?!!

Minami-ke 7

minami-ke7.jpg

All this episode did was remind me that I haven't started reading Kongou Banchou yet.

Busou Shinki 8

This was actually pretty good. It starts off with some weird potion thing that manages to turn Ann into a human and thus live out her dreams of dating MASTAH the bland self-insert. It turns out however this is merely the result of a virus which has put her into a
dream like state (or was it?!)
thus answering the title of that Philip K. Dick novel that got that far better movie adaptation. The answer of course is MASTAH.

Come on man, Nichijou is funny. It's stupidly random at times and wears its cartoonishness on its sleeve, but it is funny.
Yes, it's funny... sometimes.

There's not much point arguing over whether something is funny or not re: specific individuals ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why?

Ultimadrago

Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo 1-4 [END]

After watching some more disappointing mecha recently, this did the trick. Fun, brief OVA run with dinosaurs, Ryoma, crazy scientists and dinosaurs. It even comes with a random, unexplained
UFO
that is eventually
lassoed by Texas Mack
. It was amusing to watch and it yet more proof that mecha works in better in OVA format rather than 40+ episodes.

It's a little disappointing that the "VS." in the title means little more than the respective mechs showing up at some point in time. They never confront each other either. Nonetheless, fun with Getter Rays and one of the best mech duo in the history of America!

They even speak amazing Engish-nese!

sonicmj1

I'm kind of sad that nobody answered the question I asked earlier, so I'm going to shamelessly repost it:

Is anyone up for the task?

The difficulty with a question like that is that it's hard to define what makes an episode "stand-alone". Is an episode stand-alone if it doesn't follow the main plot? Does it have to have different characters? Does its story have to be entirely self-contained? What's the criteria?

Like, I don't know if this qualifies, but "Speak Like a Child" from Cowboy Bebop is still one of my favorite episodes ever.

Jintor

It's like arguing whether or not something is scary. Are you going to retroactively realise you were frightened? The most you can say is whether or not you yourself found it funny, and you can detail why you found it funny, but you're not going to change their minds really.

Branduil

From the New World 20

Not as good as the last two weeks, but still good. There were quite a few really nicely done layouts, and more good work from Jun Arai. The
sea monster
was really creepy and disturbing-looking. Unfortunately there were also more off-model shots this week, as well as the brief return of bad CGI. :( The editing and pacing also felt slightly off compared to previous weeks. However, I think some of the editing weirdness was intentional to reflect the state of mind of the characters, particularly that they were sleep-deprived and
prone to hallucinations
. It's interesting that Saki remembered the
moment where Shun was killed. It seems likely that she's going to recover her memory at some point.

Once again we see that
Squealer
is a brilliant strategist. He's been thinking about this for a long time, and so far his plan has gone off without a hitch. It's really hard to see at this point how our heroes will be able to defeat him.

It was interesting to finally hear Saki's thoughts on their society and the conflict that's within her. She's going to have to figure out how to resolve it given that
she's in charge of it now. Of course, there may not be much left to be in charge of by the end, LOL.

duckroll

This week's SSY storyboards were done by the director of Trinity Soul and Night Raid. I'm not going to give him any credit by making up excuses which could rationalize the sloppiness. Based on his previous work, it's probably just incompetence.

Jex

[Dirty Pair Project Eden]

Not a particularly well structured or well paced movie in the traditional sense. Lots of great individual scenes that don't really form or attempt to form a 'proper' movie. The animation is top notch though.

Oh god, it sounds like I'm talking about Ponyo.

What I mean to say is Watsssssssssman:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6NkWOf-xc

wonzo

Banned
It's like arguing whether or not something is scary. Are you going to retroactively realise you were frightened? The most you can say is whether or not you yourself found it funny, and you can detail why you found it funny, but you're not going to change their minds really.
I don't see why people experiencing things differently should somehow deter us from arguing about the merits or the lack thereof of something, especially when people's tastes change over-time leading them to view things differently when re-experienced. Ultimately, this line of logic essentially concludes that there's no point debating about things ever as "everything is subjective" a.k.a. the usual wishy-washy anti-intellectual nonsense used to try and stifle discussion in this thread.

Articalys

Looks like the 4koma comedy manga Sparrow's Hotel is getting a TV anime.
I can't find a single summary of it in English anywhere, so if anyone has more info, by all means let me know. Trying to piece together an idea via Google Translated reviews from Amazon Japan seems to indicate it has to do with a busty hotel clerk who... knows karate or something? I dunno.

Branduil

This week's SSY storyboards were done by the director of Trinity Soul and Night Raid. I'm not going to give him any credit by making up excuses which could rationalize the sloppiness. Based on his previous work, it's probably just incompetence.

I think it was the direction which was more problematic than the storyboards.

cajunator

Banned
Looks like the 4koma comedy manga Sparrows Hotel is getting a TV anime.

I can't find a single summary of it in English anywhere, so if anyone has more info, by all means let me know. Trying to piece together an idea via Google Translated reviews from Amazon Japan seems to indicate it has to do with a busty hotel clerk who... knows karate or something? I dunno.

She is missing a significant portion of her head. Oh wait I think I know where it went.

Jintor

I don't see why people experiencing things differently should somehow deter us from arguing about the merits or the lack thereof of something, especially when people's tastes change over-time leading them to view things differently when re-experienced. Ultimately, this line of logic essentially concludes that there's no point debating about things ever as "everything is subjective" a.k.a. the usual wishy-washy anti-intellectual nonsense used to try and stifle discussion in this thread.

Well let me rephrase that, or emphasise certain parts of it. There's nothing wrong with explaining viewpoints backed up with evidence like you (and I) said, I just don't see using it as an attempt to convince anybody of their wrongness re: hilarity or lack thereof as being a fruitful endeavour.

Dresden

from the new world - 17

So with Saki's newfound adult-ness, the animators finally seem to have settled on just what she looks like. Her face lacks the shifting unease of the previous arc and the new designs as a whole are appealing stuff, Satoru in particular.

By this point you've grown accustomed to the show carefully laying the foundation for whatever shit is about to unfold, and the constant speculation about the political and technical prowess of the queer rats, especially the comment about Kiroumaru's rats and their usage of the suicide drug, explains a lot about what's to come. The rapid technological advancement isn't as remarkable as the constant tactical update that accompanies them, though. Squealer/Yakomaru really is a remarkable individual; being able to revise their schemes in pace with whatever revelations they're receiving is incredible stuff. I hate the rat, but I can't hate on his swag. I do wish he'd kept those golden balls on his helm.

from the new world - 18/19

Fucking incredible. Incredible tension, complimented by good direction and some startlingly noticeable animation. I mean, I guess it's arasan~ but whatever. At the end of episode 18 it sounds like
Maria . . . bred.

from the new world - 20

Derp faces are back. CG rocks are back. Carrockettorpedosubmarinefishrats are... here. Weird, confusing storyboarding is back. But you reach the end and the writing has such pace and power that it all seems moot, anyways. I'll be back for more.
Red hair in the preview oh shiiiiiit

Jex

Fate/Zero Einzbern Consultation Room Special 6-

I'm fucking dying here. They dumped his backstory and reasoning into the extras. I really do wish we saw more of him as it might had given stronger characterization to Saber too. Also some of these shots look like the animators were probably going to use it in the main series but backed off. The fact that this episode is much longer than normal is another red flag. The reasoning in the blu-ray book about how it was a pacing/editing issue and how they couldn't get it to work sounded bullshit at the time, as I thought they were just being lazy, but now I'm not so sure.?

This is some kind of joke, right?

wonzo

Banned
Well let me rephrase that, or emphasise certain parts of it. There's nothing wrong with explaining viewpoints backed up with evidence like you (and I) said, I just don't see using it as an attempt to convince anybody of their wrongness re: hilarity or lack thereof as being a fruitful endeavour.
Again, I don't see why the fact that discussing things may not change views held on a certain subject should somehow deter having discussions in the first place. Ultimately, it's just as likely for someone to change their views on something after discussing it as is the opposite.

fertygo

Gintama 177-180 (Jiraiya arc)

Good god.. Jiraiya is possibly the most sicko villain that I ever seen, I much rather to see him as total psycho than seeing a bit effort to humanize him in the end though.

Eps 180 also have nice usage of filter in visual

There's also some kind of shadow effect to describe how fast Ninja move in Gintoki's fight, wish I can .gif that. Sunrise really doing great job for this show.

There's one episode from this arc, moar goodness from the best girl, Tsuky!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's too late. Kill Me Baby is your thing now.
Well I've made it my thing even more.

Guess the next step is an avatar, but I already have March and April planned so that would have to wait till May
When S2 will clearly be announced

I've never seen an opening changing so much.
It will eventually get to a point where they'll need a 90 second time slot so they can continue the broadcast of this ever changing OP long after the show has finished.

Shergal

Again, I don't see why the fact that discussing things may not change views held on a certain subject should somehow deter having discussions in the first place. Ultimately, it's just as likely for someone to change their views on something after discussing it as is the opposite.

The thing about discussing comedy is that it's a more nebulous subject than say, dramatic writing, animation quality or editing. You can argue whether something is well made somewhat objectively in those areas, but regarding humour the only thing that matters it that you laugh.

Leaving that aside, I haven't seen any argument as for why Nichijou is unfunny.

cajunator

Banned
The thing about discussing comedy is that it's a more nebulous subject than say, dramatic writing, animation quality or editing. You can argue whether something is well made somewhat objectively in those areas, but regarding humour the only thing that matters it that you laugh.

Leaving that aside, I haven't seen any argument as for why Nichijou is unfunny.

Yes. Comedy is very hard to judge. It is either funny or its not. but while someone wont even crack a smirk there might be another rolling on the floor. Thats why recommending a good comedy is difficult. Take my beloved Galaxy angel for example. the comedy in it IMO is hit or miss, but what works for me might not work for others. but there is enough in the dozens of episodes that people will generally find the series funny at some point. Comedy often takes a bunch of ideas and flings them at the audience to see what sticks.

Jintor

Mate, I'm not bloody arguing you shouldn't bloody well talk about things, I'm just saying going into discussions to try and bloody purposefully convince another person that something is 'funny' or 'scary' or any other subjectively held emotion is a bloody fool's bloody errand.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Jex

New Getter Robo 9

That is one crazy design.

Lot of gorey stuff happening to established characters this ep. That's pretty Go Nagai.

I feel bad for Ken Ishikawa. He's the real creator of Getter Robo but we (myself included) keep giving credit to the Go Nagain.

-Minsc-

Gintama 177-180 (Jiraiya arc)

Good god.. Jiraiya is possibly the most sicko villain that I ever seen, I much rather to see him as total psycho than seeing a bit effort to humanize him in the end though.

Eps 180 also have nice usage of filter in visual

There's also some kind of shadow effect to describe how fast Ninja move in Gintoki's fight, wish I can .gif that. Sunrise really doing great job for this show.

There's one episode from this arc, moar goodness from the best girl, Tsuky!

I know what scene you are talking about. It's hard to search gifs for Jiraia when you have to sift through gifs of Jiraiya.

While not the scene you want, this is the best I could do.

4358931_o.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why not watch Kenya Boy if you want a meaningful WW2 anime?
Anime needs more live action sequences.

That wasn't Chuunibyou?

By the way, I still am behind quite a few episodes in that. I'll get on it sometime.
Naw, Chuu2 is another slice of life show that is otaku-friendly.

I figure as long as they don't get hit by another Nichijou, they should be fine with doing slice of life. They can't all be K-On! unfortunately.

But really, if they made SAO or that Horizon should, would you be happy? I wouldn't. :p
(Sorry Geneijin :p)
Don't you always want to see delinquents succeed?
Always!

Yes, it's funny... sometimes.

There's not much point arguing over whether something is funny or not re: specific individuals ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comedy is subjective and all, but you can appreciate the craft of a joke even if you don't laugh at it. Nichijou was king at non-sequitor comedy.

duckroll

I think it was the direction which was more problematic than the storyboards.

They were both bad, but the director is a total noob dude at A-1 (it seems he co-directed ep10 of Tsuritama and nothing else before that), so inexperience + dodgy storyboards = accidents waiting to happen. A more experience unit director might have been able to get more out of the storyboards, but better storyboards would also have made a less experienced unit director's job easier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom