• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looks like Mamoru Hosoda has an interview forthcoming with Anime News Network.
They're soliciting questions via the forums; what would you ask him if you had the chance?
I would ask him why he is hanging out with those dweebs when he could chill with us cool dudes. We have backwards caps so you know we're seriously tubular.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDGnXwOCAAEK5hu.jpg

From the Footy-thread: Eden Hazard and Marko Marin watch Naruto.

See; Football is not scary!
Paid a lot of money and I still bet that's from a dodgy stream site.

I use CS6 and usually just set it to Adaptive with Pattern dithering but sometimes I'll mess with the regular Dithering slider depending on the type of gif. The only other changes I make are switching between 256 to 128 colour and/or toggling transparency for size reasons. I tend to use 0.04 ms for 24fps and 0.03 for 30fps sources for frame timings and manually cull and multiply from there. File -> Scripts -> Load Files from Stack and then Reverse Frames is your friend.
You forgot the step where you waste an hour erasing the background from each frame and telling each frame not to dispose of the pixels from the previous frame.

/XX/

What a day February 20th is going to be; a new PlayStation Meeting, Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki digital disc version release, and the second volume of The Voynich Hotel... all of these so close after all this time!

We'll always have that fake .gif someone made.

http://i.minus.com/i66hpdmXM1ZrH.gif
Rabbit MACHINE (http://rabbit-machine.com/, old personal website here; http://web.archive.org/web/20120709075802/http://www15.atwiki.jp/luvbit) did it:

Yotsuba & Animation! よつばとアニメ! - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATr9m6jUITM

More seconds of animation for it and we would have had to wait to see it even more years than with the Uchiko's Mom & Mother (still in-progress) project!

Soma

What a day February 20th is going to be; a new PlayStation Meeting, Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki digital disc version release, and the second volume of The Voynich Hotel... all of these so close after all this time!

oh wow, i had no idea it was this month. is it bad that i'm mostly excited for this?

i mean the other things are awesome too don't get me wrong lol

Articalys

is it licensed in Australia because there is interest or because its cheaper?
Hell if I know; ask Siren on their facebook page.

I would ask him why he is hanging out with those dweebs when he could chill with us cool dudes. We have backwards caps so you know we're seriously tubular.
Amusingly, the thread was just updated by the ANN editor who posted it, and it seems that he originally posted it while he was in the middle of a roundtable discussion with Hosoda and several other interviewers. He noted that "unfortunately, interpreting doubled the time needed, and few questions could be asked, let alone it was not an ANN-exclusive interview."
I guess we'll get the answers to the few questions he managed to ask eventually.

Branduil

They were both bad, but the director is a total noob dude at A-1 (it seems he co-directed ep10 of Tsuritama and nothing else before that), so inexperience + dodgy storyboards = accidents waiting to happen. A more experience unit director might have been able to get more out of the storyboards, but better storyboards would also have made a less experienced unit director's job easier!

Well, as I said in my earlier post, I think they were going for something that matched the state of mind of the characters, but they didn't have the experience to pull it off quite right. I do think a few of the storyboards were well-conceived, such as the sequence where
Saki has a flashback to Shun's death while flying.

Do you know who directed and storyboarded 19?

/XX/

oh wow, i had no idea it was this month. is it bad that i'm mostly excited for this?

i mean the other things are awesome too don't get me wrong lol
I understand you, and I understand you too well even! :)

A shame we have to wait this long for a compilation volume only, compared to other magazine-published works...

wonzo

Banned
The thing about discussing comedy is that it's a more nebulous subject than say, dramatic writing, animation quality or editing. You can argue whether something is well made somewhat objectively in those areas, but regarding humour the only thing that matters it that you laugh.

Things like jokes or gags still have a basic structure to them (writing & execution) thus giving us a chance to analyze and discuss why we may find it funny or unfunny. The fact that someone may not change their views is irrelevant as you'll never know until you actually try and discuss it.

Mate, I'm not bloody arguing you shouldn't bloody well talk about things, I'm just saying going into discussions to try and bloody purposefully convince another person that something is 'funny' or 'scary' or any other subjectively held emotion is a bloody fool's bloody errand.
So?

You forgot the step where you waste an hour erasing the background from each frame and telling each frame not to dispose of the pixels from the previous frame.
I've only been able to get that layer mask shit to work once. :(

Shergal

Well, as I said in my earlier post, I think they were going for something that matched the state of mind of the characters, but they didn't have the experience to pull it off quite right. I do think a few of the storyboards were well-conceived, such as the sequence where
Saki has a flashback to Shun's death while flying.

Do you know who directed and storyboarded 19?

Ishihama himself storyboarded 19. I don't know the director or if he is a big shot.

Quasar

You could just call it a bad show!

I'm just really frustrated. Its clear they are skipping over so much material which continues to hurt the show, at least in my eyes. This rush to cover as much as possible in twelve episodes when it was clear it should have been slower paced like Spice & Wolf really boggles my mind.

Such a wasted opportunity. Its like they were told up front you will only get 12 episodes and to cover as much ground as possible.

And I'm doubly frustrated as I can't simply just read the light novels instead.

That's said I actually really like the scene's we're getting. Though I am annoyed they keep finding ways to keep Maoyuu and Yuusha apart so they can't even have scenes together.

Quasar

is it licensed in Australia because there is interest or because its cheaper?

I assume its just that Siren is much more willing to take a risk. I have no idea how you could gauge interest for something like this. Its not like there is really anything much similar to use as a historical basis, and its not like Australia is some secret Karuta nation.

Its a real shame to see Sirens response to asking about a BluRay release. That pretty much means we won't see one.

Jintor

It's more likely that Siren (and Hanabee for that matter) are just snatching up anything that they think is getting a good reaction that Madman hasn't already devoured

Articalys

Okay, MAL's news bit on that Sparrow's Hotel comedy manga getting an anime has some more detail on what exactly it's about.
Sayuri Sato gets hired by a business hotel in the middle of downtown as a receptionist and a guard. She solves troubles caused by annoying visitors with her martial arts and big boobs.
Well... alright then.

edit: also it looks like they bundled a boobs mouse pad with the LE of the second manga volume.

wonzo

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren_Visual

Founder and managing director Nigel Rennard started Siren in 1987 as a music distribution company, and expanded to include VHS distribution in 1994, starting with the distribution of Anime from Manga Entertainment's UK division. It then expanded to acquiring Anime like Astro Boy and Pokémon. It expanded to distribution of Arthouse, Horror and Asian Cinema. In 1997 it was named the distributor for Madman Entertainment, who bought the Australian licenses to all Manga UK anime, and later on acquired licenses from ADV Films and Funimation. In 2001 Siren was no longer a home entertainment distributor and is now solely an acquisition company, after it lost its biggest client, Madman Entertainment who established its distribution arm, The AV Channel.

In April 2012, CEO Eric Cherry left Siren Visual to form a new company called Hanabee, which, like Siren Visual, is an anime distributor. Hanabee's first titles are Toradora!, Dream Eater Merry, Red vs. Blue (acquired from Siren Visual), and The Guild.​

http://www.sirenvisual.com.au/Content/About.php

2009 saw Siren further expand it's range of anime, being the first company outside of Japan to release the experimental Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond collections.​

cajunator

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren_Visual

Founder and managing director Nigel Rennard started Siren in 1987 as a music distribution company, and expanded to include VHS distribution in 1994, starting with the distribution of Anime from Manga Entertainment's UK division. It then expanded to acquiring Anime like Astro Boy and Pokémon. It expanded to distribution of Arthouse, Horror and Asian Cinema. In 1997 it was named the distributor for Madman Entertainment, who bought the Australian licenses to all Manga UK anime, and later on acquired licenses from ADV Films and Funimation. In 2001 Siren was no longer a home entertainment distributor and is now solely an acquisition company, after it lost its biggest client, Madman Entertainment who established its distribution arm, The AV Channel.

In April 2012, CEO Eric Cherry left Siren Visual to form a new company called Hanabee, which, like Siren Visual, is an anime distributor. Hanabee's first titles are Toradora!, Dream Eater Merry, Red vs. Blue (acquired from Siren Visual), and The Guild.​

http://www.sirenvisual.com.au/Content/About.php

2009 saw Siren further expand it's range of anime, being the first company outside of Japan to release the experimental Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond collections.​

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK,. I would have bought three copies at least of those :(

duckroll

Ishihama himself storyboarded 19. I don't know the director or if he is a big shot.

Not really a "big shot", but Naomichi Yamato is the assistant director for the series, so he's the usual unit director who works on the episodes Ishihama storyboards on the show. He also directed some other episodes storyboarded by Ogura - who's the most consistent storyboarder on the series. Ogura is storyboarding the next episode too, so it should be pretty consistent in tone at least.

Quasar

It's more likely that Siren (and Hanabee for that matter) are just snatching up anything that they think is getting a good reaction that Madman hasn't already devoured

Well looking at the hanabee front page it certainly seems like a nice range of stuff. And certainly more interesting stuff than what appears on the madman site.

wonzo

Banned
OH MY GOD.

What do I need to play this? I guess a cheap region free player of some kind. An Oppo perhaps.
I want to pick up the Dog Days discs also seeing as that also has english subs. Doesnt Australia also have Dennou and Tatami Galaxy? I may have to do some serious importing.
Pretty much. Go nuts.

DiGiKerot

OH MY GOD.

What do I need to play this? I guess a cheap region free player of some kind. An Oppo perhaps.

Australia is Region 4, so a player that'll play disks of that region. Going to assume that the disks are PAL video format as well (I have them, I've never watched them, and I can't be bothered to dig them out the check the packaging...), so you'd need ensure that either the DVD player will convert to NTSC elegantly, or that your TV will support it natively.

I want to pick up the Dog Days discs also seeing as that also has english subs. Doesnt Australia also have Dennou and Tatami Galaxy? I may have to do some serious importing.

Yes and yes. The UK got Tatami Galaxy as well via Beez, though Beez no-longer exists. That set is probably cheap-to-get in a few places now, though. Only issue is that they went with a 24->25 frame speed-up for the PAL conversion, which makes an already tricky-to-keep-up-with show even more of a challenge!

Did season 2 of Dog Days have subs in Japan? I grabbed the first season, but didn't bother grabbing the second since it was streaming legally and it didn't strike me as something I'd watch more than once or twice...

Quasar

Australia is Region 4, so a player that'll play disks of that region. Going to assume that the disks are PAL video format as well (I have them, I've never watched them, and I can't be bothered to dig them out the check the packaging...), so you'd need ensure that either the DVD player will convert to NTSC elegantly, or that your TV will support it natively.

Or watch them on a PC / rip them.

cajunator

Banned

Yes and yes. The UK got Tatami Galaxy as well via Beez, though Beez no-longer exists. That set is probably cheap-to-get in a few places now, though. Only issue is that they went with a 24->25 frame speed-up for the PAL conversion, which makes an already tricky-to-keep-up-with show even more of a challenge!

Did season 2 of Dog Days have subs in Japan? I grabbed the first season, but didn't bother grabbing the second since it was streaming legally and it didn't strike me as something I'd watch more than once or twice...

Well the Us market has failed me plenty of times already. I dont see any other way to get some of these.

DiGiKerot

Well the Us market has failed me plenty of times already. I dont see any other way to get some of these.

Well, you still get more than most territories over there in the US, but, yeah, there's still a few specific Australia-only things I'm still looking to pick up at some point as well (though I've got the advantage of having a multiregion DVD player already).

Jintor

Well looking at the hanabee front page it certainly seems like a nice range of stuff. And certainly more interesting stuff than what appears on the madman site.

Madman's acquisition reach is a lot, lot bigger than either of those two companies. They eat around 80-85% of the anime distribution market here, I'd say, and that's probably a conservative estimate. They're also, as far as I know, the only guys streaming anime within Au besides the national broadcasters (who I'm pretty sure licence it from Madman anyway, if Madoka is any indication). Their streaming service is way more of a promo vehicle for their DVDs and Blu rays but they are the only ones doing it.

DiGiKerot

Madman's acquisition reach is a lot, lot bigger than either of those two companies. They eat around 80-85% of the anime distribution market here, I'd say, and that's probably a conservative estimate. They're also, as far as I know, the only guys streaming anime within Au besides the national broadcasters (who I'm pretty sure licence it from Madman anyway, if Madoka is any indication). Their streaming service is way more of a promo vehicle for their DVDs and Blu rays but they are the only ones doing it.

This is true, but I think the attraction of Siren and Hanabee is that they get really weird stuff that no-one in any of the other English speaking territories would dare give a chance for whatever reason. I'd love to know if it's a difference in the audience tastes, if the audience is (as a percentage of population) larger, or if they just get cuts in licensing fees because it's seen as a less "prestigious" market than the US (or UK?) has been historically seen.

Or it could just be than the people who run those companies are nuts in the best possible way.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 11

GekiDrago's last stand.
Nagisa and Honoka go to the aquarium.
GekiDrago follows them, desperate to give it one final attempt to steal the stones.
He destroys the aquarium and turns into a giant aquatic monster. In the fight, Nagisa's kid brother is injures and she goes fucking postal on the monster. This show is pretty badass. I love it.

Jintor

This is true, but I think the attraction of Siren and Hanabee is that they get really weird stuff that no-one in any of the other English speaking territories would dare give a chance for whatever reason. I'd love to know if it's a difference in the audience tastes, if the audience is (as a percentage of population) larger, or if they just get cuts in licensing fees because it's seen as a less "prestigious" market than the US (or UK?) has been historically seen.

Or it could just be than the people who run those companies are nuts in the best possible way.

I guess I could just ask them. I've been meaning to talk to Siren PR anyway for a while now. Gotta get on those mailing lists.

cajunator

Banned
I'd like to know. I doubt its a bigger market though. The Us is a pretty populaous country and there are tons of fans to support even super niche shows (if marketed to those fans correctly).
I think Siren is just nuts.

Quasar

Madman's acquisition reach is a lot, lot bigger than either of those two companies. They eat around 80-85% of the anime distribution market here, I'd say, and that's probably a conservative estimate.

Oh I know that. That was more just a personal reaction to the two web pages. It says more about my tastes than anything.

They're also, as far as I know, the only guys streaming anime within Au besides the national broadcasters (who I'm pretty sure licence it from Madman anyway, if Madoka is any indication).

Probably. Unless Foxtel has some anime that they stream.

Their streaming service is way more of a promo vehicle for their DVDs and Blu rays but they are the only ones doing it.

Yeah. It seems pretty pointless to me. Clips from youtube do as much for me as far as promotion goes as does a random complete episode.

Jintor

Could be bang-on with the lower licencing costs estimate. I'd really like to know if they headhunt series before Madman get to them, slug it out at the negotiating table or only get the scraps. But given that Madman are willing to licence pretty much anything, seems weird they'd let some of the more critically acclaimed series through their fingertips.

Quasar

I'd like to know. I doubt its a bigger market though. The Us is a pretty populaous country and there are tons of fans to support even super niche shows (if marketed to those fans correctly).
I think Siren is just nuts.

Its totally guesswork, but I don't think our per capita number of anime watchers is anymore than in the U.S. Probably less if anything.

cajunator

Banned
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS. I found the picture!

RCo8xXB.jpg

Quasar

Could be bang-on with the lower licencing costs estimate. I'd really like to know if they headhunt series before Madman get to them, slug it out at the negotiating table or only get the scraps. But given that Madman are willing to licence pretty much anything, seems weird they'd let some of the more critically acclaimed series through their fingertips.

I would have thought these were the series that Madman rejects. Of course that does raise questions about how they choose stuff.

DiGiKerot

Do Madman release much in the way of subtitle-only releases, or are they like Manga here in Blighty in as much as they like to pick-up things which are getting dubbed for the US market?

Jintor

Madman picks up Kore wa Zombie desuka and Majikoi Oh Samurai Girls but not Denmou Coil or Toradora? I would have shot someone.

Do Madman release much in the way of subtitle-only releases, or are they like Manga here in Blighty in as much as they like to pick-up things which are getting dubbed for the US market?

The occasional sub-only release. Nichijou, this month's promo lead, is a sub-only, for instance. I don't recall that many though.

DiGiKerot

Madman picks up Kore wa Zombie desuka and Majikoi Oh Samurai Girls but not Denmou Coil or Toradora? I would have shot someone.

The occasional sub-only release. Nichijou, this month's promo lead, is a sub-only, for instance. I don't recall that many though.

Probably explains why they weren't the ones who picked up Toradora, at least.

In terms of Dennou Coil, though, I gather that the Australian release may have been the result of some very specific circumstances and very specific people being involved, and that it took them years to manage to straighten out (and is also the primary reason why it's not available elsewhere - the amount of work involved in way out of line with sales potential, regardless of the shows quality).

DiGiKerot

Is there a rights issue with DC I'm unaware of?

It's been talked about on podcasts before - can't remember if it was an ANNCast or one of the MangaUK ones - but the implication seems to be that there's some specific personalities involved who need to be placated in order to make things happen. I'm not specifically pointing at Iso here, more I think it's a combination of being produced for NHK and Tokuma Shoten, the latter in particular putting it in a Ghibli-scale category, making affordable licensing near-impossible.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't know what's wrong with you guys, I even got some chocolates and a card today...

http://i.minus.com/ibFm7JTBwQGs5.jpg
You quoted me three times just to rub it in didn't you.

Wait, she's cheating on me?
Nikki is the NTR fans choice waifu. Someone who openly sends their love to every Swapnotter in the world.

I got some choco today...Ok well everyone else got some too, but still.
Most here are not admitting to the chocolate their parents gave them.

Every workday for me is long.
Ive actually been putting in 13 hour days this week. So its a bit more than 120 hours of total worktime.
13 hour days? That's over half my whole working week.

Again, that would be an horrible mistake.
Posts like this are what makes me curious about shows.

I have to finish Spice Wolf + School days and Girls und Panzer...

Why days are only 24h?
Well I know one method of saving you 24 minutes.

Vividred - 06

Between this show and Senran Kagura, I'm not sure which has more fanservice, but for some reason I can't stop watching.
Well I can see this gif easily being macro'd with a certain phrase beginning with D.

cajunator

Banned
You quoted me three times just to rub it in didn't you.

Nikki is the NTR fans choice waifu. Someone who openly sends their love to every Swapnotter in the world.

Most here are not admitting to the chocolate their parents gave them.

13 hour days? That's over half my whole working week.

Yeah lately it has been about 15 minutes before 6 PM to almost 7 AM.

Jintor

Angel Beats.

...isn't that the anime everyone complains about having terrible production qualities in here? :-|

It's been talked about on podcasts before - can't remember if it was an ANNCast or one of the MangaUK ones - but the implication seems to be that there's some specific personalities involved who need to be placated in order to make things happen. I'm not specifically pointing at Iso here, more I think it's a combination of being produced for NHK and Tokuma Shoten, the latter in particular putting it in a Ghibli-scale category, making affordable licensing near-impossible.

I see, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom