• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
make it stop

Little Busters! 19

lb19.jpg

Racism and misunderstood genius is nothing to Wafuu about.

someone should just make a wafu compilation already (if they haven't already).

Jojo 19

Stupid cats. The ravine scene was hilarious.
"I'm falling down for like a minute, but it takes the length of a few icicles to reach me!"

Blood-C 9-12

VdSg.gif

FUCK

VdSg.gif

THIS

VdSg.gif

RETARDED

VdSg.gif

SHOW!

Where's a good table flip gif when I need one dammit!?

Quite possibly the biggest load of bullshit I've ever seen from an anime

Articalys

AKB0048 20

Watch this one until the very end.

Shit.
Just.
Got.
Real.

edit: oh, and if anyone just wants the straight answer to last episode's cliffhanger:
What's this? Mimori is evolving!
Mimori evolved into Mariko Shinoda the 8th!

Bakuman 19

This episode was pretty meh. It dragged because of it's focus on completely uninteresting/unimportant characters, but the idea itself was nice.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
lol i have n't seen doki dki yet , but this season scream "toys" just like the first ones

The plastic shit in Doki Doki is probably the worst I've ever seen, and this is in a franchise with a long, looooong record of ugly plastic shit. Those transformation devices seriously look like something you'd get in a Happy Meal and immediately throw away.

Even Fresh's transformation are funner to look at, and those are pretty boring in themselves.*

At least Doki Doki's actually have some level of budget behind them while everything in Fresh (sans Passion, once again) looks like it was drawn in MS Paint.

Cure Passion's is right up there with Sailor Venus in PGSM.

Still interested in simul-watching the rest? I think we have eight episodes + the movie left.

Branduil

Digimon: Born of Koromon and Digimon Adventure 21

These early directorial efforts from Mamoru Hosoda feature a lot of elements that con be considered trademarks of his today: great framing of shots with interesting and meaningful character blocking, fantastic use of naturalistic lighting, simple and expressive character designs, along with believable and interesting animation, significant use of classical music, emotional climaxes, and a great understanding of editing.

One thing that really stands out, watching these, is just how well every scene flows. There are no awkward cuts or languidly lingering shots; every shot is exactly as long as it needs to be, it moves the narrative forward, and it's composed in an interesting manner. I think one thing that can be easy to miss sometimes is how the sound design contributes to good editing; Hosoda uses music really well here to tie each cut together, and even has the animation in some scenes moving in rhythm with the soundtrack. It's a really powerful tool when used correctly. I think Hosoda's greatest strength may be that he makes directing look much easier than it actually is.

When you consider that this was a kid's show meant to sell toys, some of things Hosoda does here are really crazy and far beyond the effort you would expect. The use of heat waves and fisheye lenses to depict Taichi's disorientation and existential crisis is quite beyond the bland visual design you expect from a show like this, not to mention the beautiful background art and realistic, high-contrast lighting. It's easy to understand, watching these, how his directing skills would catch the eye of the big names in the anime industry.

Igo

What's the new hotness these days? Excluding the major projects, like the Evalgelion and Berserk movies, I really don't have a clue about what's been airing for the past four or so years. Anything of comparable quality and tone to Monster or Planetes?

Actually, more than anything, I kinda miss the crazy discussions that the Gundam Seed series and Code Geass delivered. Those were fun times.

Milamber

What's the new hotness these days? Excluding the major projects, like the Evalgelion and Berserk movies, I really don't have a clue about what's been airing for the past four or so years. Anything of comparable quality and tone to Monster or Planetes?

Actually, more than anything, I kinda miss the crazy discussions that the Gundam Seed series and Code Geass delivered. Those were fun times.

Space Brothers, obviously.

Branduil

Bunny Drop, Fate/Zero, Hyouka, Time of Eve, Kids on the Slope, etc.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Digimon: Born of Koromon and Digimon Adventure 21
This episode stood out to me even as a kid due to how different from the rest of the show it was. I was too young to appreciate the things it was attempting back then; I remember being disappointed by the lack of Digimen fighting until very late into the episode, and even then it was very brief. I should give it another try soon now that I'm less singled-minded.

Branduil

This episode stood out to me even as a kid due to how different from the rest of the show it was. I was too young to appreciate the things it was attempting back then; I remember being disappointed by the lack of Digimen fighting until very late into the episode, and even then it was very brief. I should give it another try soon now that I'm less singled-minded.

You should.

That final scene :(

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 46

Whoa, originally I was just gonna leave it at some pithy BUDDHA NATURE one liner but the second short was just so visually striking that I just had to post some examples:

And the third one was straight up weird but in a really charming kinda way:

idSBQPjMSf9ja.gif

Easily the best collection of shorts in the entire series and the best part is they're all standalone so y'all should definitely check it out!

Blood-C 9-12

FUCK

THIS

RETARDED

SHOW!

Are you ready for FFFUUUUMMIIITTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You should.

That final scene :(
I think the weirdest part about this episode is how little it has to do with the rest of the series. Taichi's existential crisis, as you put it, begins and ends here, and even Hikari doesn't acknowledge Taichi's brief return when the kids all come back to the real world for the Myotismon saga. It's like a filler episode without any of the stupidity that surrounds filler episodes.

The other two Mamoru Hosoda Digimon projects are pretty great, though!

Jintor

Digimon episode 21 was probably the first time I'd seen something where a stock-standard anime was trying for something more than power of friendship or fighting determination or whatever

Defuser

Oreshura ep 7
Tsu...Tsu....Tsundere?!?

Pink hair girl is best girl followed by chunnibyou girl, third is manipulative bitch girl and who gives a fucking shit about childhood petanko friend girl is dead last.

First time I see Kayano Ai voice act like that. Pretty refreshing!

Space Brothers 45:
Every character in Space Brothers has a completely awesome story.

Nasuda is hilarious. He steals every scene he's in. I also continue to be impressed with just how uplifting this show can get.

Digimon episode 21 was probably the first time I'd seen something where a stock-standard anime was trying for something more than power of friendship or fighting determination or whatever

It's a great episode.

Of course, it's from a great series, but even compared to the surrounding episodes it stands out as something special.

Moonlight

Banned

Honestly, the AOTY 2012 thread is a good resource to refer to.

cajunator

Banned
Odin Sphere also needs an anime.

Oboro Muramasa Youtouden needs an anime.

Jesus fuck my eyes

Mine definitely doesn't look like that. I have it configured to look like Neogaf mobile.

I wonder what percentage of artists have this as their true inspiration for learning to draw

Oh, probably a huge percentage. I know I definitely tried to draw hentai very early in the anime fanart drawing stage. It came out fairly well too.

gafgreenhollaholla.png

green > pathetic light blue

Mine looks like this.

Shin Sekai Yori

[Drunken Rant]I'm sorry I dropped you. That brief moment of lovey dovey shit, was exactly that, a brief moment. Everything since that episode has been a non-stop thrill ride, and exactly what I wanted from this anime.

The only problem that I have with the show is that it's rather predictable. Who honestly didn't see Yakomaru as a scheming douchebag from the moment he was introduced and that every twist was about as unexpected as a happy ending in a Disney movie.

All in all, this is probably one of my favorite shows this winter, and I hope this ride never lets up. [/Drunken Rant]

Edit: Are Chihayafuru and Sasami-san worth watching if I'm already watch the likes of Senran Kagura and Vividred? I figure my standards are so low that taste is no longer relevant.

Chihayafuru defiintely is. Sasami is depending on your tolerance for SHAFT.

At last, a much-deserved continuation to the creepiest heartwarming show of 2012.

3fzc1.gif

So I stumbled across the TVTropes page for Ikuhara:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KunihikoIkuhara

and...did he actually say/write this?

I'm pretty sure he's just trolling, but still.

No, he is definitely an alien. Its quite obvious.

Cure Diamond's transformation (spoilz, obviously)

Not flashy, but looks well-drawn.

Now that the transformation music can be heard more clearly in this clip I kind of like it. Its much more understated but its a lovely tune. I don't know how well it flows with the rest of the show, but it works in the clip. Its no Heartcatch, Suite, Futari Wa Precure masterpiece though.

Blood-C 9-12

VdSg.gif

FUCK

VdSg.gif

THIS

VdSg.gif

RETARDED

VdSg.gif

SHOW!

I was just thinking its been a little while since someone truly went nuts over BloodC. Most excellent!

The plastic shit in Doki Doki is probably the worst I've ever seen, and this is in a franchise with a long, looooong record of ugly plastic shit. Those transformation devices seriously look like something you'd get in a Happy Meal and immediately throw away.

At least Doki Doki's actually have some level of budget behind them while everything in Fresh (sans Passion, once again) looks like it was drawn in MS Paint.

Still interested in simul-watching the rest? I think we have eight episodes + the movie left.

If you have been reading my FWP impressions I joked about buying their toys in several episodes. Its is soooooooooooo obvious that they are just selling plastic gizmos. Might as well put the ads up on the screen during the scenes.

Shergal

I think the weirdest part about this episode is how little it has to do with the rest of the series. Taichi's existential crisis, as you put it, begins and ends here, and even Hikari doesn't acknowledge Taichi's brief return when the kids all come back to the real world for the Myotismon saga. It's like a filler episode without any of the stupidity that surrounds filler episodes.

The other two Mamoru Hosoda Digimon projects are pretty great, though!

The first Digimon movie was the first anime installment of the franchise, so it makes sense that it's completely self-contained. Haven't watched ep 21 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom