• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 24

Amuro is INSISTENT upon friendzoning Frau Bow with FEROCITY.

"Amuro are you still thinking about her?"

"Uh, yeah, Seyla."

"Amuro are you okay?"

SAYS NOTHING TO FRAU BOW AT ALL.

Also, "It was said that he said nothing, only motioned for his troops to begin" is a SUPER badass line for the narrator.

Moonlight

Banned
Code: Breaker Episode 11

iAE4GRHk8J6jE.png

i5rP5r1fhVt7D.png

My prayers have been answered.

This episode was just absolutely amazing. This show has been on absolute fire since it entered the end-game, and this is easily the highest peak thus far. I can't even say I'm enjoying this show ironically any more. It's honestly good stuff. Further tempered by the fact that the production values for this episode in particular were excellent. I've always maintained that Code: Breaker's production quality has been consistent, if unspectacular, but between the awesome fights (and the flaming sword I asked for) and the simply amazing effects, I came away from this really impressed.

OH MY GOD

This was by far the greatest fight in the series so far. Heike is just the most fabulous motherfucker ever. I was grinning with every single crazy power they were busting out at each other, made all the better through a significant lack of still frames to break up the action. I mean, god, I have no words for that fight.

And did they just take out
Sakura Sakurakouji's best friend? If so, holy shit.

Also, the final scene was just magical.

This series has just been a massive surprise for me. I don't think I expected anything out of the premise or the characters, and I am rarely so glad to be wrong. I'll get back to you all when I'm done episode twelve and thirteen. See you all on the other side.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
firebro, watch Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou (very roughly translated as Case Notebook of Old Bookstore Biblia). Its based on a light novel that's serious business about solving cases using books! Its pretty much grown up Book Girl.
Huh, in the manga covers the girl has long hair but in the jdrama promo art, she has short hair... lol

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The iDOLM@STER - 09

The twins are always a joy to watch, and this episode was no exception. A lot of exaggerated facial expressions were used in this ep, which is great for Ami and Mami as both of them are very expressive individuals.

I figured at the end of the episode
the two of them would've been the root cause as to why went down.
:lol

JCG

Random impressions of more "old" stuff for no reason in particular.

Mazinkaiser SKL - 1-3 END

This sounded awesome on paper and...it wasn't terrible but still not quite as awesome in practice. I enjoyed most of the action scenes and cool musical cues, which I expected, but that's pretty much it. The animation sometimes felt a little on the weak side and the characters needed at least another episode to be anything other than forgettable. I suppose I was spoiled by Shin Mazinger on that note though, but even by the admittedly low standards of other action-heavy Super Robot shows they're kind of...mediocre. The slightly useful
Devil Lady
robot was alright and I guess the
rad bike/horse combo
at the end counts as another positive.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
damn you kayos90 damn you, you make me re-watch chapter 2, now i hate Iori and the twins again, that was just stupid ooo goooooooood.

Lolzors.

The iDOLM@STER - 09

The twins are always a joy to watch, and this episode was no exception. A lot of exaggerated facial expressions were used in this ep, which is great for Ami and Mami as both of them are very expressive individuals.

I figured at the end of the episode
the two of them would've been the root cause as to why went down.
:lol

I thought you hated them. Or was that someone else....

Syrinx

Darker Than Black 25

So this was, for all intents and purposes, the end. I was worried that I'd be disappointed in it. I think I'm generally pleased, though that's not to say I don't have my complaints about it.

I suppose my biggest complaint is that it really went for the "good ending" thing that required some contrivances along the way. The reveal that Hei fused with his sister at Heaven's Gate...is actually not really one of them. It explains why he toes the line between human and contractor that nobody else seems to. It explains how he's held responsible for the Heaven's Gate incident. I guess my only issue are the contrived physics of it all, though I suppose this series has always been light on accurate physics.

I enjoyed the scene where Hei basically encountered everybody he's met along the way. The albeit brief conversation with his sister was a good cathartic moment. Though like I said, it results in a sort of "have your cake and eat it too" ending where everybody gets to live (well, not everybody. The old guy is still dead. Mao's still dead. And Amber used the last of her energy to turn back time enough for Hei to execute the proper plan).

As for Pandora and the Syndicate, Kirihara exposed them, and now the director is in jail. I think this sequence resulted in Kirihara becoming my favorite character in the series. Though I'm not sure how she managed to sneak in a recording device when they basically combed her for everything. I may have overlooked something.

So the "good" ending isn't necessarily good. The contractors and humans are still fighting and there's still chaos. But Hei, Yin, Kirihara, etc. all get to live on. What lies in store for Hei is unclear, but he'll be fine.

Mobile Suit Gundam 24

Amuro is INSISTENT upon friendzoning Frau Bow with FEROCITY.

"Amuro are you still thinking about her?"

"Uh, yeah, Seyla."

"Amuro are you okay?"

SAYS NOTHING TO FRAU BOW AT ALL.

Also, "It was said that he said nothing, only motioned for his troops to begin" is a SUPER badass line for the narrator.

That's because Sayla is vastly superior to Frau Bow. Everyone knows she's the best Gundam female character.

iammeiam

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 1-9 After somehow skipping the original series completely, I wound up picking the BluRays for this on the cheap. It's a lot less somber and serious than I was expecting from basic plot summaries. I'm sort of enjoying having absolutely no idea where all of this is heading, and Armstrong is an early favorite character. His shtick is not exactly creative, but there's something about a guy who feels he should take his shirt off at every opportunity... I was going to drop in K-On episodes to break up the seriousness, but it looks like FMA has that covered internally already.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Birdy S2 6 & 7

S2 continues to flaunt its superiority over S1 by giving us not one, but two flashback episodes in a row. In these episodes the story of young Birdy is told, and we learn more of her past and hard upbringing. Birdy appears as an adorable child with her superhuman strength and renowned agility. Of course we all know that the adult Birdy is a strong and sexy female icon, but young Birdy is also VERY cute and shouldn't be ignored!! She whips through the city and fights enemies with ease in some sort of tiny bikini and apron which obviously allow for unrestricted movement.

Birdy can also get quite upset, which is also kinda cute. These episodes were explanatory, fun, and had plenty of action. Well done, Birdy.

Robotics;Notes 14

That was probably the most intense episode yet of the show. Frau definitely jumped the rankings. Very nice to see some of the stuff tie together like that.

Didn't expect the whole thing to resolved so quickly though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The girl is super popular nowadays because of the short hair :lol

Onizuka from GTO is there as the loser who always tags around her.
Well, someone seems to have "picked it up", so I'll probably check it out.

Speaking of which, I still haven't finished GTO yet. lol

Jex

Just started watching Vividred Operation....it's interesting to say the least. Nice animation, cute story.....but it's so omg loli-centric!

If you'd had a casual glance at any of the marketing materials for the series, or noted the director I believe this would have been readily apparent.

Theonik

Smile Precure! 09
ib0oNNV6mdGMuy.png

Best alarm clock I wonder whose it is... Oh of c...[REDACTED]
So this is going to be a Yayoi episode. I'm not sure I can survive this. Wait, do you hear that? It's like a million otaku cried in terror and were suddenly silenced. OMG even her inner voice is moe. [REDACTED] I like how they changed the colour to indicate the mood of the situation in these screens. Poor blue why must you be associated with such things? Poor Yayoi. It was totaly not her fault but the rest of the cast over-reacting like that and not letting her explain. [REDACTED] This was a good episode finally!

Articalys

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 3

what

Okay, really though, this felt like a final episode, not episode 3. I wonder what's going to happen next.

Oh, and there's this rumor I keep seeing about a magazine interview where a TBS producer said that Sasami was picked up just to fill a timeslot for the winter season, with no real expectations, but I'm not sure how verifiable it is.

cajunator

Banned
Smile Precure! 09

So this is going to be a Yayoi episode. I'm not sure I can survive this. Wait, do you hear that? It's like a million otaku cried in terror and were suddenly silenced. OMG even her inner voice is moe. [REDACTED] I like how they changed the colour to indicate the mood of the situation in these screens. Poor blue why must you be associated with such things? Poor Yayoi. It was totaly not her fault but the rest of the cast over-reacting like that and not letting her explain. [REDACTED] This was a good episode finally!

I know.
Yayoi is miraculous.
The character designer for Smile is a genius.

Jex

Code: Breaker Episode 11

This episode was just absolutely amazing. This show has been on absolute fire since it entered the end-game, and this is easily the highest peak thus far. I can't even say I'm enjoying this show ironically any more. It's honestly good stuff. Further tempered by the fact that the production values for this episode in particular were excellent. I've always maintained that Code: Breaker's production quality has been consistent, if unspectacular, but between the awesome fights (and the flaming sword I asked for) and the simply amazing effects, I came away from this really impressed.

Just you wait:
CodeBreaker12a.jpg

Jex

Random impressions of more "old" stuff for no reason in particular.

Mazinkaiser SKL - 1-3 END

This sounded awesome on paper and...it wasn't terrible but still not quite as awesome in practice. I enjoyed most of the action scenes and cool musical cues, which I expected, but that's pretty much it. The animation sometimes felt a little on the weak side and the characters needed at least another episode to be anything other than forgettable. I suppose I was spoiled by Shin Mazinger on that note though, but even by the admittedly low standards of other action-heavy Super Robot shows they're kind of...mediocre. The slightly useful
Devil Lady
robot was alright and I guess the
rad bike/horse combo
at the end counts as another positive.

This about the kind of enthusiasm I'd expect from a Mazinkaiser SKL review. I don't know about everyone else, because I know the series has some fans, but I found it to be remarkably stale and dull. It never really felt like the creators understood how to make it exciting.

MCD

Code Breaker was good but it changed way too many things from the manga. Ogami is out of character (lol at him getting all emotional) as well as Heike (he was a master troll in every page in the manga) among many other things that I can't be bothered to bring at the moment because STUDYING.

Gintama 259

rjObwfK.jpg

This was so fuckin badass.

Is that... plot progression? In my Gintama!? After more than 200 episodes and 300 chapters, has Sorachi finally decided to stop fucking around and actually give us a reason to care about more than sillyness and fleeting awesomeness in this series!?

Anyway, good episode.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Vividred Operation 1

Thoughts:

Butts.
Soundtrack is nice.
Akane's bike actually looks like a dog. Genius.
That's a lot of fucking mayo girl.
Was that an Osprey?
Girls look like idols in costume.
Small breasts, big ass <3

Okay, I'll watch a few more. Hey, does Akane's sister transform too?

cajunator

Banned
Vividred Operation 1

Thoughts:

Butts.
Soundtrack is nice.
Akane's bike actually looks like a dog. Genius.
That's a lot of fucking mayo girl.
Was that an Osprey?
Girls look like idols in costume.
Small breasts, big ass <3

Okay, I'll watch a few more. Hey, does Akane's sister transform too?
Show isn't as fun as I was hoping for but its a nice distraction.
I wasn't a huge fan of Strike witches either.

Defuser

I just found out Vividred Operation has Hiroyuki Yoshino writing it.....

Sasami-san ep 3
Ok, This whole episode is a info-dump but does clear up every single thing in the last 2 episodes on their behaviour and identities.

I can see Shaft production taking a hit badly when there's a lot of shit going around. That budget of theirs must be depleting fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom