• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Haganai Next 3

This episode was about little girl breasts...

This show is about a girl who also plays eroge, right?

Show isn't as fun as I was hoping for but its a nice distraction.
I wasn't a huge fan of Strike witches either.

Serious question (for anybody). Is Strike Witches actually worth watching? I'm a fan of Humikane's design work, but I can't stand episodic or underdeveloped plots...

Articalys

So, what else does Trigger work on these days? How about a PV for a light novel that won a prize from Enterbrain?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZQuTCw1p0
On Friday, Enterbrain's Famitsu Bunko imprint began streaming the anime promotional video that it commissioned for the winner of the 14th Entame Prize. The anime studio Trigger produced this video for Naruto Kiriyama's Yonhyaku-Nijū Renpai Girl (Rejected by 420 Girls in a Row) novel, which will go on sale with illustrations by Rio Nanamomo next Wednesday.

The "crushing heartbreak romantic comedy" follows Haru Tsuwabuki (voiced by Takuya Eguchi), a boy who must successfully confess his love to one of 420 girls, or he will die (in more ways than one). Haru is one of the few boys at St. Cinderella Academy, a "sanctuary" for exquisitely beautiful girls. However, as soon as he enrolls, he is derisively labeled a lowly "parasitic biting insect," and his adolescence descends into darkness. One day, Haru meets Miyako Dokuutsugi (Ama Ayamiya), a beautiful girl with the worst misfortune at the academy. Haru's life descends from darkness even lower into hell.

Trigger co-founder Masahiko Otsuka (episode director on Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt) directed the video off storyboards by Yuichiro Hayashi (009 Re:Cyborg). Sunao Chikaoka (Abnormal Physiology Seminar, blossom, Kyo no Gononi) supervised the animation designs, and Sachiko Yajima served as the production designer and animation director.

Steroyd

Robotics;Notes 14

That was probably the most intense episode yet of the show. Frau definitely jumped the rankings. Very nice to see some of the stuff tie together like that.

Didn't expect the whole thing to resolved so quickly though.

Damn son, this implies she had a ranking to jump up from, in the first place.

That's Oreimo.

Edit: But there is a girl who plays eroge in this to.

CorvoSol

That's because Sayla is vastly superior to Frau Bow. Everyone knows she's the best Gundam female character.

I dunno, Tomino has felt the need to show me Frau Bow and Mirai naked, but not Sayla. Also, if Frau Bow is Amuro's friend, you'd think he'd actually, I dunno, not treat her like dirt.

Soul Eater 11

OpsqLFx.jpg
fbrwH8F.jpg

Very nice Tsubaki focused episode. Black Star was a pretty good partner through the whole thing too.

cajunator

Banned

Serious question (for anybody). Is Strike Witches actually worth watching? I'm a fan of Humikane's design work, but I can't stand episodic or underdeveloped plots...
Well, it certainly has underdeveloped PLOTS if you know what I mean.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 25 Okay, I get that Frau Bow is a civillian who has seen military secrets and cannot be allowed to just leave, but why in the hell are the children still with White Base? At this point, the civilians should all have been removed from the ship, particularly three mouths to feed that don't contribute to the White Base in any way at all.

Also, I'm really underwhelmed by the G-Modules. I mean, one turns Gundam into a jet, which the Core Fighter already did, and the other turns it into a tank, which is kind of already Guntank's thing. They're just, meh. I mean, I know this is THE Gundam, so it doesn't have special features compared to all its successors, but I dunno, a tank and a jet were done already. Couldn't they come up with something more unique?

Oh, and CHAR!

wonzo

Banned
Haganai Next 3

haganainext3.jpg

THis was almost painful to watch now that I've caught up on the manga. Not even non-megane Rika could stop me from dropping this half way through the second part. I mean, literally everything about it is so much better than this it's not even funny. The art, the humor, the characterizations, the pacing, even the chuuni and index clone are likeable characters in it! Hell, compare the underwhelming last episode with how it was portrayed in the superior manga:

If that doesn't tell you just how much better the it is then I don't know what will. Dropped.

So, what else does Trigger work on these days? How about a PV for a light novel that won a prize from Enterbrain?

if this turns into an anime series then rip trigger

edit: shit just noticed the 420

smokeweed.gif

Lain

Psycho-Pass 14

Makishima's reasons might even be right, but his actions are not.
The scene with the woman
killed in the middle of the street, with people watching and doing nothing, with some shooting pics
pissed me off.

Akane looked alright this episode.

Defuser

Gintama' 259

1st half: Standard Gintama fare, awesomeness.

2nd half: HHHHHHOOOOOOOLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY SSSSSSSHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Edit: Kakashi/Nyanko Sensei VA enters the scene.

Gintama 259

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

This whole episode is fucking godly. First half consist of ass kicking of small fries then leading to a mind blown second half consisting of fuck awesome action, gintoki's past and ending with the Shinsengumi and Miwamarigumi crashing the party. My mind is full of fuck!!

Gintama 259

Holy shit! Now I remember why I love Gintama so much. Not only is the funniest anime, it's got some of the most epic fights as well. Everytime we see Gintoki with his crazy face then we know shit's about to get real. The only bad part? Waiting for the next episode :(

This gif sums things up perfectly. We are the Shogun and Gintama is the can.

ioPbpNnyyyVzR.gif

Gintama - 259

Damn. Just damn. If you haven't watched this episode yet just watch it.

[Gintama] - 259

gintama259.png

Damn, shit got real so damn fast. Well, I guess that's one the reasons Gintama is so enjoyable, it's shounen but compressed.

Well, if they're going to start
really getting to grips with Gintoki's past/the Rebellion I wonder how much of this franchise is actually left? Probably left.

Gintama' 259

Simply amazing episode. Blowing your budget on the action, unexpected Gin backstory information, that ending. Goosebumps everywhere.

Gintama 259

Well, you guys weren't kidding (well, for the posts I managed to read anyway. :p)

Holy
AW6YRgTl.jpg

Fucking
1u1jMMHl.jpg

Shit
uKTuQZDl.jpg

I have no doubt that these glamour shots are probably ripped straight out of the manga, but I don't really care. Gintama constantly earns these moments that I would just scoff at in any other context. Even the fucking info dump in the middle act of the episode is earned because it's something that's been teased over and over again for - well, for normal people - years.

Gintama is action done right, where the action beats are work in spite of the fact that the show clearly doesn't have the proper budget to sustain a 10 minute long action sequence, precisely because they've taken the time to build to the action scenes with 40 minutes of great character development.

The fact that they can get away with a 5 minute info dump after this great action sequence is a testament to how great Gintoki is as a character. Yes, he's a cipher who is mostly empty for a majority of the series, but the small glimpses into his history come at the right moment. Of course, it's all in service of all the cliches and tropes that he embodies, but I don't care because it's just done so well.

And of course, the infodump is just a microcosm of how the show constantly sets up action - it's all in service of what is sure to be an outstanding climax next week. I swear, Gintama is probably as predictable as any bad syfy show that I hate, yet it's done so well that in the moment I'm just enjoying myself too much to care.

I think a great bonus that comes with the infodump is that, as a Gintoki x Tsuki fanboy (I don't even care anymore, I'm shipping and I feel fine), you have the moment where Tsuki is suddenly able to understand why Gintoki was able to help her during the Red Spider arc. I mean, at this point, the relationship is basically canon right? Oh, I'm sure because it's a shounen and Tsuki is the most hated female character by women ever (because they can't admit the truth), it'll never actually happen in the show and Gintoki will remain forever sexless, but everyone knows the truth. lol

On a related note, Tsuki and Yoshiwara arcs are really the best things to come out of the series:
Uw6IusTl.jpg

It feels like they have to remind people that the other female characters exist, but really, it's not much of a competition. Heck, does anyone even remember that glasses as an older sister? lol
The bonus to these arcs is that they constantly espouse a feminist message and takes the whole "hooker with the heart of gold" cliche and turns it on its head and makes it something that you can't really mock.

hT2HLP1l.jpg

Always. Until next week.

Look at all this Gintama ep 259 impressions. It is that fucking good. To the people who never watch Gintama, do yourself a favour and watch it if you want epic fights, heartwarming cheese and lots of comedy. With over 200 episodes it might be scary but it can done easily, just watch 1 or 2 episode per day. You will not regret it and at the end you will enjoy it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Azumanga Daioh 9

So much d'aaaaaaaaw in this episode. Sakaki really is a great character. That goddamn asshole cat had better let her pet it before the series ends, dammit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That's what I did. It wasn't a pleasant transition to say the least... It would be better to forget about Diebuster and just watch Gurren Lagann instead.
Diebuster is a good anime bro. It's to Gunbuster what Chrono Cross was to Chrono Trigger except without the stupid nineties crisis existentialism and convoluted Masato Kato writing that everyone seems to love when in fact he's a hack.
Smile Precure! 09

So this is going to be a Yayoi episode. I'm not sure I can survive this. Wait, do you hear that? It's like a million otaku cried in terror and were suddenly silenced. OMG even her inner voice is moe. [REDACTED] I like how they changed the colour to indicate the mood of the situation in these screens. Poor blue why must you be associated with such things? Poor Yayoi. It was totaly not her fault but the rest of the cast over-reacting like that and not letting her explain. [REDACTED] This was a good episode finally!
I can't remember a single Yayoi episode I didn't like. She's amazing and Hisako Kanemoto does wonders voicing her.

Somebody lock Imaishi up in a cell and never let him come out again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Look at all this Gintama ep 259 impressions. It is that fucking good. To the people who never watch Gintama, do yourself a favour and watch it if you want epic fights, heartwarming cheese and lots of comedy. With over 200 episodes it might be scary but it can done easily, just watch 1 or 2 episode per day. You will not regret it and at the end you will enjoy it.
I like how four of us said "Holy shit". lol

diebuster > gunbuster
Does Diebuster have an awesome black and white episode?!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I've tried starting Gintama thrice now. I never get through the first episode without sleeping.

Kurita

firebro, watch Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou (very roughly translated as Case Notebook of Old Bookstore Biblia). Its based on a light novel that's serious business about solving cases using books! Its pretty much grown up Book Girl.

The drama? Already watching it, waiting for the episode 2 subs :(

duckroll

Tamako Market - Episode 3

Best episode yet. Great introduction to a character, solid character development in a single episode, effective emotional arc, really cute expressions, just felt great all round. AOTY.

sonicmj1

The Code Geass creators did not have the whole show planned out in detail, but I don't think they were any less deliberate and self-aware about the nature of what they were making.

Good and bad...those labels are both independently true. I've said it before, but the show is very much trying to be entertaining, period, and combines both the best and worst qualities of anime.

It's the sort of production that can only be made by people who are simultaneously talented and not taking their jobs very seriously, but not expecting the audience to do so either.

I don't intend that as a slight against Code Geass. It was tremendously enjoyable, and that wouldn't have been possible if they hadn't already started from, "Let's take every interesting anime idea that currently exists and mix them in a boiling broth." And even if they had to change course, they created something undeniably entertaining.

But Blood-C was made with its ending in mind from the very beginning. It's a different kind of show from Code Geass.

I wouldn't read that light novel, but I'd watch that show if Trigger were making it. That PV is energetic in a way that most of those kinds of shows simply aren't.

duckroll

http://www.youtube.com/GITSchannel

The Ghost in the Shell Arise official Youtube Channel has opened. They'll be streaming the press conference on Feb 12 via this channel. Also, they have announced that Stand Alone Complex will be available on the channel for free from Feb 1 to 20 to celebrate the announcement of Arise.

Moonlight

Banned
Code: Breaker Episode 12-13 and Final Thoughts

ibvB3ZtDUJ4WUj.png

iu4m9qYIL3rtQ.png

Took the words right out of my mouth.

A bit late, but Chrome ate what I'd already written up when I just finished. And I have to say, what a finale. From start to end, this was an absolutely spectacular way to end this show. It's an escalation of everything that's developed since the show began, from plot threads, to power levels, and even production values. This was superb in nearly every respect. The action scenes in particular were just amazing, easily vaulting past the (quite high) standards that the episode eleven had established. And I really can't overstate how enthralled I am with this show's effect animation. We also got to see far more of Code:05's (as I can't seem to recall her name) abilities, which were just really fun to see. Watching her transition from
diving through the air on bat wings, which transformed into a scythe was just a fantastic way to start this episode off. And while I'm still on the subject, I really dig the trail that her shadows leave behind when she goes for a slash. The show didn't really get a real opportunity to give her a good moment, unlike most of the other characters, and I'm happy they delivered here.

Everything after that was amazing, too. I expected
Heike's true intentions during his conversation with Hitomi in the monitor room, and it was great to see them finally revealed here, on the side of evil for evil.
It only got better after that. Watching the team unleash their powers in tandem, working together and pouncing at Hitomi was really, really fun to watch. And well, it's impossible not to acknowledge Ogami's big moment at the end of episode 12. My enthusiasm hit critical mass there.

Was
Ogami unleashing his power by getting rid of the ring a bit contrived? Maybe. There's nothing that explicitly sets that up. At the same time, everything about that sequence was amazing. I was too caught up in the moment to even care. The dragon circling Ogami, and the English dubbed over 'aku ni wa aku o', alongside the music was just... magnificent. Amazing build-up, and the pay-off was well worth it.

And
watching Hitomi get absolutely smote by Ogami once it happened was catharsis on a supreme level, I won't lie. Especially after spending half the series observing him walk all over the Code: Breakers, and in particular, the last couple really hammering in the kind of power that Hitomi had at his disposal as former Code:01.
Everything about the moment was just great stuff, and easily where the quality of this show's effect animation peaked.

Finally, I really have to tip my hat in regards to an ending. Given how little regarding the
the situation of the Code: Breakers and the children with special powers had changed with Hitomi's defeat (and the Prime Minister making it out as smug as ever)
, I was worried on how they'd manage to deliver something satisfying, but I can safely say it was something they handled astonishingly well. There are plot hooks, obviously, and quite open-ended, but it concluded on a definitive enough note that even if this is all the series will ever be, I can't really say I'd be too displeased.

I'll admit, I wasn't quite sure where people were going with their recommendations when I finished the first episode. It was by no means bad, but it really didn't stand out, in my eyes. It's a bit odd to reflect on my evolution of my opinion on this show. It went from being unremarkable, to being greatly enjoyable for reasons I wasn't sure the show intended, to honestly seeing it and its' characters as a genuinely great, well-told show with genuinely good, fun characters.

If you all will excuse me, I have to rethink my AOTY rankings a bit.

wonzo

Banned
Vividred Operation 3

vividred3.jpg

Ehh, this show's pretty much failed at capturing the the same essence of the surprisingly entertaining opening episode outside of the later half of episode two. I'll "drop" this for now and pick it up again if it looks like anything worthwhile actually happens.

Code: Breaker Episode 12-13 and Final Thoughts

If you all will excuse me, I have to rethink my AOTY rankings a bit.
i5lYj1j7Lm2VR.gif

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm liking what I'm seeing in these Gintama impressions, but man, the early episodes are nothing but mostly bad humor. Really hard to get into the series.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Stick with it as it pays off in spades.

I was under the impression that the series was mostly that type of humor. It's not that it wasn't funny (it was, sometimes), but if I can't appreciate the humor of the series then it seems like a waste of a time investment.

wonzo

Banned
Kotoura-san 3

kotoura3.jpg

THis show sure knows when to ham it the fuck up. Hilarious stuff.

I was under the impression that the series was mostly that type of humor. It's not that it wasn't funny (it was, sometimes), but if I can't appreciate the humor of the series then it seems like a waste of a time investment.
The first couple of eps aren't really that comparable to the level of quality the show produces later on. Check out episode 25 if you want to see the kinda stuff you can expect if you stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom