• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
That was my fault, sorry. I'll be more proactive about it in the future.

Anyway, it looks like that previous "best of all time" thread was done on the spur of the moment over the course of all of three days (no offense to EviLore), so it could probably use an update. I'll look into it after the AotY results are up.

We appreciate what you do here. I'm glad you decided to come back.

I've mostly been watching while during my commutes lately. It's the only segment of free time that I can't do work during, and i've got a looooooooot a work to do recently.

I put stuff on my second monitor while working too.

What sort of work do you do again?

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven 28

There is no God of Mecha Anime. All that is good is now dead, and all that is horrible, namely Eureka's children, survive. There is no justice. I should've stopped watching this show 4 episodes ago and lived happily ever after.

But now? Now I will forever remember that
Charles and Ray
died, and that Eureka's goddamn parasites were permitted continued existence. Everyone who should have lived is dead, and everyone who is alive should have died.

Moonlight

Banned
Tamako Market Episode 3

jbv7JCIzCgUqjo.png

i9fmtIXHx9jpq.png

iivp4p65xvyZ9.png

Just a really superb episode. The best so far, I think. I feel like this show is really starting to come into its' own, carving out its' own identity. I really just love how characters play off one another, and Shiori is a really endearing addition to the cast. Her arc and its' resolution was absolutely sweet. I'm even starting to warm up to Dera. This show is really good about comedic timing, and they finally nailed that in particular with his gags. His attempts to woo Shiori and his constant failure (the last one in particular) definitely had me cracking up.

And it's really hard to believe just how gorgeous this show is to look at. The sakura trees this episode featured so heavily in particular were something else. Just goes to show how far beyond KyoAni is of so many other studios.

This show seems to be moving on quite a timescale, though. The first episode was on New Years Eve, which then jumped straight to Valentines Day, and then to the onset of spring. I really never expected this much ground to be covered in such a short span of time. It's moving quite quickly for a show with such a relaxed tone. I'm left wondering if they'll get as far as an entire year. I'm excited, even.

cajunator

Banned
It would be awesome to see how a japanese studio would depict Mardi Gras or Louisiana culture in general. They would probably fuck it up in all kinds of awesome ways.

Tamako Market Episode 3

This show seems to be moving on quite a timescale, though. The first episode was on New Years Eve, which then jumped straight to Valentines Day, and then to the onset of spring. I really never expected this much ground to be covered in such a short span of time. It's moving quite quickly for a show with such a relaxed tone. I'm left wondering if they'll get as far as an entire year. I'm excited, even.

The first season of K-ON! goes through 2 years over the course of 14 episodes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Tamako Market Episode 3

Just a really superb episode. The best so far, I think. I feel like this show is really starting to come into its' own, carving out its' own identity. I really just love how characters play off one another, and Shiori is a really endearing addition to the cast. Her arc and its' resolution was absolutely sweet. I'm even starting to warm up to Dera. This show is really good about comedic timing, and they finally nailed that in particular with his gags. His attempts to woo Shiori and his constant failure (the last one in particular) definitely had me cracking up.

And it's really hard to believe just how gorgeous this show is to look at. The sakura trees this episode featured so heavily in particular were something else. Just goes to show how far beyond KyoAni is of so many other studios.

one episode per month would be a pretty cool thing to do~

cajunator

Banned
Mondaiji 03

BLack Rabbit is amazing in every way.
Izayoi is a BOSS.
This show is a lot of fun to watch.
That ending animation and music is the stuff of happy dreams.

Thoraxes

What sort of work do you do again?

I won a few music composition contests, so right now i'm doing score revision on an orchestra piece and wind ensemble piece (adds up to about 30 minutes of music or so), creating and revising individual parts for the performers (of which I have about 60 in total to do atm), aaaaannnnddd finishing a master's thesis.

Composition contest stuff is all gonna be pro. recorded and mastered, so i'm all over it for my portfolio. Luckily I get about 3 weeks for each.

cajunator

Banned
I won a few music composition contests, so right now i'm doing score revision on an orchestra piece and wind ensemble piece, creating and revising individual parts for the performers (of which I have about 60 in total to do atm), aaaaannnnddd finishing a master's thesis.

Composition contest stuff is all gonna be pro. recorded and mastered, so i'm all over it for my portfolio.

So you compose music? Thats pretty awesome.
Im just gonna call you AWESOMEBEAR from now on if thats ok.

I try to go mobile as much as possible.

I'll see if I can conjure a lazy method using ms excel.

6 years is alot of anime.

The earliest we're going to attempt this is when the AOTY thread is done, or at least that's when it would make most sense.

And someone (people) has to bother to compile the thing together.

I would be happpy to help :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But that's part of his appeal. When he's not being a badass he's this hopeless desperate loser along with the rest of the cast.
That's what happened with Dilbert. Dilbert was about to get a girlfriend but all the nerds complained and Adams had to write her off. lol

Of course, American nerds keep saying that marriage kills off any character (Superman, Spider-man, blahblahblah), but... I hope to god that Gintama isn't meant to last 50 years.

Narag

Of course, American nerds keep saying that marriage kills off any character (Superman, Spider-man, blahblahblah), but... I hope to god that Gintama isn't meant to last 50 years.

You'd have so much animenerd cred to say you watched a 2000+ episode series though.

Metrotab

Banned
Winter Backlog Anonymous: Mouryou no Hako - 3

Man, I haven't watched something with this amount of scrutiny since Blade Runner. I do think I got at least a basic chronological overview of the events now, which makes it easier to follow along. I'm getting conflicted information with regards to
the accident, as Yuriko's story doesn't seem to match what happened before the OP. However, that shoving dark-clothed man did appear just before, saying something enigmatic. Who he is, I have no clue.
Ofcourse the end is unexplainable to me right now, although it fits in with the mythology constructed so far. And despite being casted as a villain, I feel a little empathy for the mother.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I THOUGHT THIS WAS A SKIT SHOW
Well I mean, can I just start with the real shit?
No!

Even though shit gets realer than real, it still gets intertwined with comedy and pulls it off, it's one of the most impressive things about Gintama as a whole.

I'll be a contrarian and suggest that the Gintama movie *might* work as a standalone movie. Of course, at that time, I had a decent handle on the characters already, since I started Gintama on episode 201, but the series is episodic enough that it doesn't matter that much.

It also helps if you're familiar with all the heroic bloodshed tropes used in Asia media, since it draws so heavily on that.

You'd have so much animenerd cred to say you watched a 2000+ episode series though.
Well, even if One Piece seems like it will go on forever, I have to imagine it'll end before either Superman, Batman, or Spider-man "end".

(And no, the move from Amazing Spider-man to "Sensational" Spider-man does not count as an ending).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eureka Seven 28

There is no God of Mecha Anime. All that is good is now dead, and all that is horrible, namely Eureka's children, survive. There is no justice. I should've stopped watching this show 4 episodes ago and lived happily ever after.

But now? Now I will forever remember that
Charles and Ray
died, and that Eureka's goddamn parasites were permitted continued existence. Everyone who should have lived is dead, and everyone who is alive should have died.

:lol

Honestly I expected this from DTL when he watched Endless Eight, not from you watching E7. Still funny though.

CorvoSol

:lol

Honestly I expected this from DTL when he watched Endless Eight, not from you watching E7. Still funny though.

Well maybe if they didn't make me finally love a character and then BRUTALLY MURDER THEM and then force me to endure those godawful rodent, vermin, abominable should-have-been-aborted-on-the-drawing-table hellspawn in the same episode, I wouldn't be so upset.

Syrinx

The iDOLM@STER 4

This show's pretty good when it's focusing on non-shitacular characters. The main focus of this episode was Chihaya, who is shy, but not debilitated by it, and has an absolutely beautiful singing voice. Unfortunately for her, she doesn't get to take much advantage of it, as she's instead teamed up with Haruka against Takane and Hibiki on a cooking show where the host is a frog hand puppet, and the cameraman is aggressively trying to get pantyshots. She's tossed about it at first, and cuts her fingers several times along the way, but she rebounds fairly nicely. At least they don't have to put LSD in their food to make it good.

I wager her living alone and family issue situations will be handled later. The sad music playing at the end definitely seemed to indicate it's something serious.

Hello Kind People of AnimeGaf, I was wondering if there is a list of : Before You Die YOU MUST watch this anime

Anime have most amazing story lines/characters in the universe like
  • cowboy bepop
  • fullmetal alchemist
  • evangelion series
  • Death Note
and I am hearing some buzz about Psycho Pass, anyone has some recommendations for MUST watch anime? (any genre)

Only one. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Articalys

Maoyuu 4

I liked this episode, but I get the feeling they just skipped over a ton of stuff that other adaptations may have covered in more details. I don't know where the story goes from here, though, so I can't say how it would affect things overall if true.

CorvoSol

Anime GAF I have never watched Death Note. Should I? The idea of a psychotic mass murderer as the allegedly debatable hero didn't sound appealing to me.

Thoraxes

Anime GAF I have never watched Death Note. Should I? The idea of a psychotic mass murderer as the allegedly debatable hero didn't sound appealing to me.

Do it, but just quit after like, episode 25 or something. Idk the exact episode, but it's right around there.

That's what happened with Dilbert. Dilbert was about to get a girlfriend but all the nerds complained and Adams had to write her off. lol

Sorachi already said it's going to run until he gets bored. That could be the rest of his life for all we know.

DiGiKerot

The iDOLM@STER 4

This show's pretty good when it's focusing on non-shitacular characters. The main focus of this episode was Chihaya, who is shy, but not debilitated by it, and has an absolutely beautiful singing voice. Unfortunately for her, she doesn't get to take much advantage of it, as she's instead teamed up with Haruka against Takane and Hibiki on a cooking show where the host is a frog hand puppet, and the cameraman is aggressively trying to get pantyshots. She's tossed about it at first, and cuts her fingers several times along the way, but she rebounds fairly nicely. At least they don't have to put LSD in their food to make it good.

I wager her living alone and family issue situations will be handled later. The sad music playing at the end definitely seemed to indicate it's something serious.

They actually made a live-action version of the cooking show for the LE bonus for one of the BD releases...

UEejJwI.jpg

It had Spam, therefore it was great.

Narag

Remember Preacher? That was a fun book.

I still have the first few trades laying around, I think. I remember reading the second to last issue, thinking holy shit, then realizing there was one more to finish it. I never did realize if it was heavily solicited or just out of nowhere. :(

Well, even if One Piece seems like it will go on forever, I have to imagine it'll end before either Superman, Batman, or Spider-man "end".

Well yeah, because American comic books don't end unless Marvel/DC/whoever somehow goes under. Manga is drawn and written by a single person (sometimes two) that very rarely get extended beyond the author's vision and NEVER get extended beyond their deaths (unless Shin-chan is still going).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well yeah, because American comic books don't end unless Marvel/DC/whoever somehow goes under. Manga is drawn and written by a single person (sometimes two) that very rarely get extended beyond the author's vision and NEVER get extended beyond their deaths (unless Shin-chan is still going).

It is, I believe.

Narag

You'd think there'd be a benefit to a sort of evergreen franchise but I suppose there's enough material and a lower barrier to entry such that there's no need.

Narag

Do not listen to Thoraxes. Watch the whole thing. Episode 25 is a horrible stopping point if you're not crazy about the idea of a villain protagonist.

I'll back this up even though the last third feels more like an epilogue, not that it's a bad thing. One thing I appreciated about the original Macross was the main story being concluded then getting extra stuff. Also the last two episodes are immensely satisfying.

Metrotab

Banned
Winter Backlog Anonymous: Wandering Son - 3

Wow, a lot happened during this episode. The theme du jour was entering puberty. I guess getting that first bra must be some kind of cultural rite for girls.

This episode also gave me the inexplicable urge to become a playwright.

CorvoSol

What's with these posts today? You guys know something I don't?

It's called the best characters in all three mecha anime I've been watching were almost simultaneously murdered by the writers. As I am the best character in all of your collective lives, it's likely that, to spite the fans, I will suffer a death ranging from the most heroic, to the most like Marvel's Ultimatum.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sorachi already said it's going to run until he gets bored. That could be the rest of his life for all we know.
Right, which is why I don't really have a fear of it never ending.

Kirkman has said that The Walking Dead will go until no one buys it anymore, but I imagine the well will dry up eventually. No franchise can go on forever, although I suppose manga has the advantage of being able to continually trick younger readers into being invested in a franchise as the older reader ages out of reading funny books.

I still have the first few trades laying around, I think. I remember reading the second to last issue, thinking holy shit, then realizing there was one more to finish it. I never did realize if it was heavily solicited or just out of nowhere. :(
Dude... how can you not read the ending?! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom