• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

You'll easily know when. If you do listen to cosmic and watch it all the way, just know that you'll like what happens to one character, but it will be like a diamond in a pool of poop for the last stretch and it gets pretty rushed in pacing compared to the decently fleshed out first half.

Do not listen to Thoraxes. Watch the whole thing. Episode 25 is a horrible stopping point if you're not crazy about the idea of a villain protagonist.
Despite what happens to one character, everything besides that fell flat so hard that I came out really disappointed when I finished :/

I still love Misa though.

Shergal

Speaking of AotY threads, though, this is a good chance to remind everyone that the 2012 AotY voting ends next Tuesday, so this weekend would be a great time to finish catching up on any shows you missed from last year, or for re-evaluating your votes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506476

I should watch some shows from this year to vote, but I really don't have the urge to. I counted the votes and the only thing I have to say is that the world is just.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There's a notable lack of consensus here.
Well usually those books are compiled by one or two people so that wouldn't be a problem.

After finding out the first two episodes of Gintama are filler (the only two episode I have seen of this show), I have become interested in giving the show another shot, starting at episode three. I plan to skip the filler episodes, so I can actually catch up on the show in somewhat of a reasonable time manner.
Why do you need to catchup with it quickly. Just take your time and enjoy it. With over 250 episodes you'll quickly burn out if you watch too many in one go.

Also filler episodes in Gintama are awesome. Don't let the negative connotations of them from other shows cloud your judgement.

OceanBlue

Tamako Market Episode 3

This show seems to be moving on quite a timescale, though. The first episode was on New Years Eve, which then jumped straight to Valentines Day, and then to the onset of spring. I really never expected this much ground to be covered in such a short span of time. It's moving quite quickly for a show with such a relaxed tone. I'm left wondering if they'll get as far as an entire year. I'm excited, even.

If the show goes as I expect it to, the last episode should be Tamako's birthday and the show will have progressed a year.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hello Kind People of AnimeGaf, I was wondering if there is a list of : Before You Die YOU MUST watch this anime

Anime have most amazing story lines/characters in the universe like
  • cowboy bepop
  • fullmetal alchemist
  • evangelion series
  • Death Note
and I am hearing some buzz about Psycho Pass, anyone has some recommendations for MUST watch anime? (any genre)

Escaflowne
Gunbuster
Dennou Coil
Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There's a poster named after
Mello
on here. I get so mad every time I see him post. :(

I know that feeling. I get mad every single time
Kyon
posts something too, except for the fact that it's more because he's the worst poster ever than because I hate the Haruhi character!

Shergal

one episode per month would be a pretty cool thing to do~

If the show goes as I expect it to, the last episode should be Tamako's birthday and the show will have progressed a year.

This is very likely to happen, and I think it would work wonders; a show with such a laid-back tone implies a world where nothing really noteworthy happens, thus spacing the episodes so that you can present the "important" events in them while maintaining the conceptually mundane setting is a nice way to do it.

Noir 13

Ljf8ywe.jpg

;___;

Narag

[Death Note]

Nah, it made no sense.
How would L know when to "drop dead"? He had no way of pulling that one off.

I thought that happened
at the max time limit for the Death Note hence that third movie where he did shit inbetween catching Light and um dying. I think the way it was cut made it look like it was immediately after everything though but I can't remember for certain.

Guys, I'm dropping Rah Xephon for the time being because it's like Evangelion if Evangelion were to substitute cool action and creativity for trite anime cliches and mecha designs that ranged from ugly to fugly ass holy hell get that off my screen.

Character designs ranged from cool to ugh what an annoying anime cliche.

Mostly though I couldn't stand the ambiguously fey scientist and the inexplicable guy with red sunglasses and a white suit whose occupation and role was never really clear to me. The show started out good, but I don't have time for the rest of it, and my interest dropped radically. I know, I know, don't judge 8 episodes in, so I'll come back and finish it after I'm done with Eureka Seven, but for now, I just don't give a flip about this knock-off Evangelion.

Today I had an epiphany, though. With short hair, Eureka looks just like Leeron from Gurren Lagan.

Aren't you watching too many mechas themed shows ? You might have an overdose of it

Still you were right to drop Rah xephon

OceanBlue

This is very likely to happen, and I think it would work wonders; a show with such a laid-back tone implies a world where nothing really noteworthy happens, thus spacing the episodes so that you can present the "important" events in them while maintaining the conceptually mundane setting is a nice way to do it.

I don't know if the show will go a month an episode exactly, but the birthday setup in the beginning has to be resolved, and it makes sense for it to be the ending.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I saw RahXephon on the anime block on TechTV back in the day.

I liked it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's what happened with Dilbert. Dilbert was about to get a girlfriend but all the nerds complained and Adams had to write her off. lol

Of course, American nerds keep saying that marriage kills off any character (Superman, Spider-man, blahblahblah), but... I hope to god that Gintama isn't meant to last 50 years.
Well they could follow the old British sitcom model of married couples. Sexless and one where the wife wears the trousers. The only thing they do in bed in read and bicker. Thus Gintoki can keep all his old traits while also have someone to reign him in.

I mean the hangover arc was the ultimate storyline exploiting Gintoki lonely loser status. They really can't beat it.

It had Spam, therefore it was great.
Never had spam so I can't comment. Or is your liking of it purely because of Monty Python?

Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo - 03

Well the MCs that seemed like they were overpowered seems to look a little less overpowered this episode.
And the overall plan while good on paper is sure to end in failure.

Still the episode was great to follow and i was entertainned.
Can't wiat for next episode !

Why is black rabbit blue ? especially when she turns pink ?

The trick is to balance a real robot show with a SUPA ROBOTTO show.

The trick to have an overdose faster ?

CorvoSol

Aren't you watching too many mechas themed shows ? You might have an overdose of it

Still you were right to drop Rah xephon

I'm watching 3. I was gonna watch GaoGaiGar, but put it back on the shelf because yes, I've got too much else on the plate. Will defs return to Rah Xephon and GaoGaiGar, though.

The trick is to balance a real robot show with a SUPA ROBOTTO show.

Isn't Eureka Seven technically a SUPA ROBOTTO show? If not Gundam AGE is, as there's nothing real about that show.

auYgXB9.jpg

I have never seen Rahxephon.

Is this supposed to be claiming they're not similar? Because they definitely are. Rah Xephon is a suckier, cliche-infested Evangelion. Ayato fills Shinji's roll, his mother fills Gendo's, then what's-his-name does. The purple haired woman in black and red IS Katsuragi if Katsuragi cried without good reason. His annoying, red-headed roommate who also lives with the Katsuragi knock-off is Asuka. Mishima plays 1 part Rei and 1 part Yui. The rest of Rei is played by the girl pictured above left. Kaji's role is divided between the ambiguously fey scientist (who doubles as a suckier Ritsuko) and Katsuragi's rip-off's female friend.

Hell, until leaving "TOKYO JUPITER" they even think a large amount of humanity is dead. All of them work at TERRA which totally isn't meant to be NERV, and they detect the coming of OLENS or DOLANS or GOLEMS or something but we all know they're uglier, vaguely egyptian Angels with faces from half-melted barbie dolls.

Rah Xephon was seriously disappointing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well they could follow the old British sitcom model of married couples. Sexless and one where the wife wears the trousers. The only thing they do in bed in read and bicker. Thus Gintoki can keep all his old traits while also have someone to reign him in.

I mean the hangover arc was the ultimate storyline exploiting Gintoki lonely loser status. They really can't beat it.

Never had spam so I can't comment. Or is your liking of it purely because of Monty Python?
That's not exclusively a British sitcom model any more. lol

And yeah, after being married to everyone, what's left? :p

Erigu

[Death Note]
I thought that happened
at the max time limit for the Death Note hence that third movie where he did shit inbetween catching Light and um dying. I think the way it was cut made it look like it was immediately after everything though but I can't remember for certain.
L gave himself as much life left as he could, yes, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the timing of his fake death.
In order for it to be convincing, it has to be exactly simultaneous with Rem writing the name down. If he fakes his death early or misses the timing, the God of Death will immediately know something's up and warn Light.
And doesn't that plan assume that a God of Death wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an actual death and a fake death in the first place? Somewhat optimistic.
So nope, that ending made no sense.

The ending of the first movie cheated quite a bit as well by allowing Light to conveniently circumvent the whole "you can't use the Death Note to have somebody kill somebody else" rule. There's a reason that rule exists: it would be far too easy, otherwise (why not use that trick all the damn time?). But the movie didn't give a damn, apparently.

Narag

[Death Note]

L gave himself as much life left as he could, yes, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the timing of his fake death.
In order for it to be convincing, it has to be exactly simultaneous with Rem writing the name down. If he fakes his death early or misses the timing, the God of Death would immediately know something's up and warn Light.
And doesn't that plan assume that a God of Death wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an actual death and a fake death?
So nope, that ending made no sense.

The ending of the first movie cheated quite a bit as well by allowing Light to conveniently circumvent the whole "you can't use the Death Note to have somebody kill somebody else" rule. There's a reason that rule exists: it would be far too easy, otherwise (why not use that trick all the damn time?). But the movie didn't give a damn, apparently.

I'd say you're probably right as I don't remember it all that clearly. I've gotten it into my head that when people voice complaints about that, it's about the end rather than what you're talking about which is indeed something that sounds like it was managed for the sake of drama rather than any sort of continuity.

cajunator

Banned
Anime GAF I have never watched Death Note. Should I? The idea of a psychotic mass murderer as the allegedly debatable hero didn't sound appealing to me.

He is pretty awesome but the fun is really in the cat and mouse chase of the first half.
That part is a lot of fun.
misa is so adorable.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Vividred Operation - 03

Best girl arrives but
does not even get a second to use her own abilities before she docks with Akane
. That kind of rushing was unnecessary and cheapened the significance of Wakaba's addition to the team. Hopefully they don't pull that shit with the last girl.

Syrinx

He is pretty awesome but the fun is really in the cat and mouse chase of the first half.
That part is a lot of fun.
misa is so adorable.

Lol. Even in the shows about psychotic serial killers, you've got all the cute characters picked out.

I love you cajun. *hugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom