• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

oh yeah..

All of this will come but there was a need to present everything and do one thing at a time..

Be assured that there is a huge economical & political section coming up. Making deal with the merchants ( the alliance ) was a necessary step.

The problem is that they are running out of episodes, especially at this pace (which I like).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru S2 3

IBjXy4Fl.jpg

Not much to say other than I'm glad they basically skipped two matches... mostly because we really don't need to hear the internal thought processes of the other characters any more. Well, not until the big match that they tease anyway. :p

(I am predicting that they lose, mostly because of the "exception" that introduced earlier in the episode)

What was weird was how similar this looked to Kamisama Kiss and other shoujos. There were a lot of shots like the one I chose (because of the hilarious #creep factor), where it's a static shot with captions explaining what the characters were thinking. Kamisama Kiss did that over and over again in order to save money and it looks like Chihayafuru S2 is starting to rely on that "trope"/technique as well.

(I suppose this is when someone with staff knowledge tells me that the director is some famous shojo guy or something lol).

Also, this was the beginning of
Queen x Arata
that I read about back when S1 aired. Fun times.

-----

lAvv4qyl.jpg

I'd just like to think that this is an Arakawa reference... if only because the numbers are flipped. lol
Certainly they could have chose any two numbers, right? Sanno Ni!

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven 30

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEW TALHO IS UGLY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHE RUINED HER HAIR WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Also, at the risk of being a broken record, I can no longer conceive of a means of horribly, physically harming Eureka's children in a way that satisfies me for having hurt them enough. Like, making them starve, die of dehydration, nuclear fall out and being drawn and quartered as their blood is substituted for venom isn't good enough for me to feel vindicated for their horrible awful horrible ness and how much they take away from the show's quality.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One Piece 509

I was joking around with my little brother yesterday and said something like
"Now that Luffy's underpowered, he'll probably go spend some time grinding back in the last dungeon he's been to - that is, Marineford", and then comes Rayleigh and...

After that and now this, I think my mind's starting to sync with Oda's, haha.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Girls und Panzer 04:

REAL tank commanders apparently drink tea while on assignment. And return of the bad CG environments. I've seen better textures/framerates on Sega Saturn games. Anyhoo we're back to where Ep. 1 started.

Meanwhile, all the other teams are totally not doing shit. Fucking slackers, the lot of 'em.

Um... isn't fighting in the town kinda... dangerous? Apparently everyone's totally okay with that but... um... yeah.

Tea shall be spilled! Angelfish times! Hilarious! :D Hana's mother's a riot too. ;P Servant boy totally wants to tap dat Hana though. Understandable, but futile. Nothing's going to be able to replace her binbo. Nothing. ;P

Where's my Pooh ball Battle shounen?

That is all SORTS of amazing!! ;P

jgminto

Robotics;Notes 14
That was great. I think Frau has really come into her own. I wasn't expecting much from her initially but there's a real complexity to her character once you get past the net obsessed exterior. And Kaito was actually genuinely likable this episode which is a nice change. The conspiracy side of the episode was certainly interesting this week but it'll definitely lead into a slump over the next episode or two. But that won't really disappoint me too much when most of the characters are so strong.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Time to watch the jojo OP for half an hour per tradition. fml

I don't blame you. I do this too.

I agree with you on so many things.
Wish we could hang out and watch animu.
Id even buy you drinks.

Come visit me and we can finally watch Komugi together! Just two adult men, watching mahou shoujo, with straight faces on.

Maybe that's why I like tiny hats.

No that's just because you're biased toward Mio ^_^

Girls und Panzer 03:

Lethargic girl appears, and is conveniently a quick study in piloting tanks. After a few quick shots, Hana's completely fallen in love with the cannon fire. It's quite concerning hot.

This week, on Extreme Tank Makeover, we add fluffy heart cushions to the seats for more comfort. Seriously though, a pink tank?

Eri Kitamura appears! Show just got a million times better! <3

If they fail, a horrible Angelfish dance awaits them... which means they're guaranteed to lose. It's like, anime law or something.

Oh sweet. You're watching this! It just gets better and better! Soon, you will know the subtle superiority of Saori!

Moonlight

Banned
The Idolm@ster Episode 4

Wow.

This episode stood head and shoulders over the past three episodes in almost every regard. Maybe it's just because I'm coming off the puerile episode 3, but I was honestly really impressed by this episode. I mean, it's second or third fiddle to Hyouka's cooking contest episode, but literally everything else is, so I'm trying not to hold it against the episode. They do well enough with the concept, complete with the utter ridiculousness (and shamelessness) of the average Japanese variety show. And the gimmicks that came with such territory were pretty fun. It was, at the very least, quite energetic.

Pinning Chihaya as the focal point for this episode was just great. I think she might be my favourite character in the show right now. It's obvious that, despite her reservations, and despite how far out of her element that this turn of events had thrown her (and especially that fucking cameraman), she's quite passionate about her career. And willing to deal with her issues in a mature way. That short scene where she looks at all her band-aids says a great deal about her, I think. I might be getting a bit too complimentary, but it's quite a refreshing attitude given how Yukiho was acting last episode. At the very least, she's displayed more depth than practically anyone else in the show.

It also helps she's by far the most talented singer on the team. It's easy to see why she seems most concerned with singing out of all the idols. Especially with that, quite frankly, amazing ED song. I can tell that they're definitely gonna get back to her, though. She's still pretty disconnected from the rest of the staff, going by the ending.

And the cherry on top, Yukiho, the twins, Yayoi, Iori, or really any other idols except for those featured on the cooking show were even seen in this episode. It kept the focus squarely where it needed to be - Chihaya, and at the same time let the other characters genuinely breathe. The other idols featured, Haruka, Hibiki, and Takane, all of whom didn't really strike me beforehand definitely got my attention here. In plainer terms, they definitely jumped quite a few tiers.

As usual, the animation is quite good, but nothing I can really point to in regards to how it stands out. Character motions are fairly natural and it just looks nice.

If this show can keep to this sort of quality, I can definitely understand why people have enjoyed it so much.

Looks like there's a beach episode up next. Hopefully it's not just... a beach episode.

Shergal

Sasami-san 3

This was never really good, but it's getting pretty shitty. Most of the episode bored me to tears, there is nothing really interesting in the visual presentation and the editing is kind of jarring for no real reason. Full of typical Shinbo cliches too, not executed very nicely. The animation near the end of the episode was pretty nice, at the very least, but it was mixed with horrible CG and even more inane exposition, so whatever.

The "plot" is really too contrived and full of asspulls, are we going to go into slice of life mode now that seemingly all threatening factors have been taken out? Also lol'd at
Sasami was the God all along, and she couldn't go out of the house because an EVIL GOD was preventing it
. There was no buildup for
Sasami getting so bothered by her brother going away
and her relationship with him was not fleshed-out at all; thanks to that and the direction the episode had literally zero tension and ended up as a snoozefest.

There were some decent backgrounds. Heck, there were backgrounds in a SHAFT show, that alone is deserving of praise. The digital processing is still horrendous and can't capitalize on them anyway, and we're still full of closeup shots with a white BG that bury them even more into the clusterfuck that is the direction.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Vividred Operation 2

I tried to watch this alone, but the waifu came and said "watcha doin??" So she sat down and said "It's not like I don't like this kind of show!" >__> I thought it was good and then she said I was just watching it for the butts. Woman quit playin but in the end I know she liked it too.

Mitsuho

Banned
C 9-11 END

It's only a half season. $40 and you're done.
Payoff (plot) really is in the last two episodes.
Theme is: (maybe)
Value of money depends on trust.
Don't trade future value for present value.
Don't accept shady deals.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
New Talho sucks.

Classic Talho for life.

Word.

==========================

The iDOLM@STER - 12

Figured this would be an episode dedicated to Miki due to what happened in the previous episode, but it kind of painted her in a somewhat unfavorable light in my eyes. Her whole
"Oh I can't be in the first idol group? Well fuck it I quit."
attitude was really off putting (even if it was somewhat warranted). I can understand her wanting to
play hooky from practice because she's depressed
, but pulling that shit when their live concert is only a few days away is not cool.

Good thing Producer-san leveled up his charm, otherwise he and the others would be in some deep shit. :lol

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Of course she quit. Miki doesn't belong in no B group. She's all A class next level. Also the Producer should have gone for it.

Cuticle Detective Inaba 04

Really like the addition of Otouto to the show. Nice play on the wolf in sheep clothing as well.

They have been adding new characters quite rapidly so I'm quite wondering how will they use them or are we basically going to get smacked with new character every episode.

wonzo

Banned
Chihayafuru S2 3

chihayas23.jpg

Now this was the Chihayafuru I fell in love with! The excellent use of music and inner character monologues really make the Karuta parts much easier to swallow. It's not as good as say, the incredible PORKY BARREL ROLL from last season but it'll do.

RIP SNOWMARU SHINOBU ;_;

Mitsuho

Banned
Star Driver 1

OMG. I don't think I've ever seen a first episode that was so scattered, so unbalanced, poorly paced, over burdened with vague character introductions, situations with little setup, etc. that it felt untenable.

Star Driver 1

OMG. I don't think I've ever seen a first episode that was so scattered, so unbalanced, poorly paced, over burdened with vague character introductions, situations with little setup, etc. that it felt untenable.

But at least it was fabulous! Also Star Driver has some of the best insert songs ever.

Star Driver 1

And that's probably the highlight of the show, too!

Now that you've seen Episode 1, it's pretty much like you've seen every episode of the show.

Kotoura-san 02

Another nice episode. The male lead is pretty damn likeable. A pervert with a spine and a heart. It's a shame he looks pretty goofy most of the time though.

Eureka Seven 30

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEW TALHO IS UGLY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHE RUINED HER HAIR WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Also, at the risk of being a broken record, I can no longer conceive of a means of horribly, physically harming Eureka's children in a way that satisfies me for having hurt them enough. Like, making them starve, die of dehydration, nuclear fall out and being drawn and quartered as their blood is substituted for venom isn't good enough for me to feel vindicated for their horrible awful horrible ness and how much they take away from the show's quality.

Because you can't be a sex symbol, and a good parent(adoptive or otherwise) at the same time.

Dead

well not really...yet
I physically can't comprehend those reactions to Eurekas children

Ever since 2006, Ive never understood peoples violent reactions to them. It honestly puzzles me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

The song as Utena climbed the spiral stairs...I thought it was great, very contrary to impressions I read earlier today.
You mean impression. My response was sarcasm.

There is nothing else like Utena.
NOTHING
Nothing really matches it in its entirety, but there are shows that resemble it strongly in various ways, like Sailor Moon, Penguin Drum, and Oniisama e. You haven't gotten to the point where Sailor Moon starts resembling Utena more yet. WHICH IS WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH MORE.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I physically can't comprehend those reactions to Eurekas children

Ever since 2006, Ive never understood peoples violent reactions to them. It honestly puzzles me.

People who hate children?

Fun fact: When I re-watched parts of the series recently. I actually had a much better opinion of Renton and the kids. Used to be one of those guys who found both of them annoying to the core, but I was a teen back then, and I'm now a adult, so maybe it's part of my maturation process? plus not to mention I work in child care now and am studying towards becoming a school teacher, so maybe my tolerance levels for children has increased as a result of that? .:p

Really, the only character that outright annoys me in Eureka Seven is Holland. (whom I thought was a bad-ass when I first watched it heh).

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Of course she quit. Miki doesn't belong in no B group. She's all A class next level. Also the Producer should have gone for it.

Yeah next episode definitely proved that she's ready.

=================

The iDOLM@STER - 13

Major props to Miki for not only doing a back-to-back lead performance, but for also bringing the audience out of their lax state and hyping them up before the main event. Girl shone like a star and blew the audience away. All the other girls were great too and did a fantastic job holding down the fort until Ryuuguu Komachi arrived. Solid performance all around really.

Dead

well not really...yet
People who hate children?

Fun fact: When I re-watched parts of the series recently. I actually had a much better opinion of Renton and the kids. Used to be one of those guys who found both of them annoying to the core, but I was a teen back then, and I'm now a adult, so maybe it's part of my maturation process? plus not to mention I work in child care now and am studying towards becoming a school teacher, so maybe my tolerance levels for children has increased as a result of that? .:p

Really, the only character that outright annoys me in Eureka Seven is Holland. (whom I thought was a bad-ass when I first watched it heh).
lol, I mean I don't want to immediately come to a conclusion like that, but I can't help but think it.

They just come off as kids to me...the extreme hate feels wierd to me

wonzo

Banned
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 4

mmy4.jpg

Man, they really rushed through a whole heap of shit with the heroes escapades in the Demon World. I really can't see how they're not gonna go back and touch upon the aftermath with the fight between
Hero and the Archduke Fire Dragon
as it's basically the lead-in to what's coming up next.

Oh and I only just noticed a pretty sneaky nod to the real nature of the world in the ED. lol

Is it even possible to be sad about this?
snowmaru.jpg

OH GOD WHY IS HE OPENING HIS EYES

MAKE IT STOPPPP
witness his special psychological warfare creeper attack

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
lol, I mean I don't want to immediately come to a conclusion like that, but I can't help but think it.

They just come off as kids to me...the extreme hate feels wierd to me

The funny thing due to the nature of anime. they just come off as "natural everyday kids" as we don't have to suffer with poor acting and all the intricacies that entails.

cajunator

Banned
You mean impression. My response was sarcasm.

Nothing really matches it in its entirety, but there are shows that resemble it strongly in various ways, like Sailor Moon, Penguin Drum, and Oniisama e. You haven't gotten to the point where Sailor Moon starts resembling Utena more yet. WHICH IS WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH MORE.

Im making great progress in Sailor moon.
Haven't you seen what episode I'm at?

Dresden

kotoura-san - 03

I think I watched this like yesterday, just wanted to mention that this is dropped. The novelty of the first episode can't carry the whole show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom