• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasconius

kotoura-san - 03

I think I watched this like yesterday, just wanted to mention that this is dropped. The novelty of the first episode can't carry the whole show.

Aww, I watched this today too but I still thought it was pretty good. What is it that turned you off, just the non-novelty of it? ^^

Theonik

Black Lion (ENG)
'Great dub' the sheer absurdity of it all combined with the dub really made this hilarious to watch. Still didn't quite reach the apex of Go Nagainess we all love. Dem sideburns though they always get me.
The show is basically, Ninjas fighting alien cyborgs in the warring states period while confronted by a sadistic bastard of a cyborg thing there is also good aliens helping the Ninjas and I don't know what, everything about it is like a playard fight scenario where a couple of kids are yelling to each other "I have ninjas" "well I have cyborg samurai" "well my Ninjas are super fast and cool" "well my samurai have lazorz" "My Ninjas eat lazorz for breakfast!"

Sailor Moon 1-5 rewatch
I am too tired to write impressions right now, just posting this to let certain people know that this is actually happening now and there may or may not be impressions for this being posted as well as for my progress with the series. (possibly manga comparisons too)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Black Lion (ENG)
'Great dub' the sheer absurdity of it all combined with the dub really made this hilarious to watch. Still didn't quite reach the apex of Go Nagainess we all love. Dem sideburns though they always get me.
The show is basically, Ninjas fighting alien cyborgs in the warring states period while confronted by a sadistic bastard of a cyborg thing there is also good aliens helping the Ninjas and I don't know what, everything about it is like a playard fight scenario where a couple of kids are yelling to each other "I have ninjas" "well I have cyborg samurai" "well my Ninjas are super fast and cool" "well my samurai have lazorz" "My Ninjas eat lazorz for breakfast!"
Hahaha, sounds about right.

jbug617

Banned
kotoura-san - 03

I think I watched this like yesterday, just wanted to mention that this is dropped. The novelty of the first episode can't carry the whole show.

yeah I can see getting tired of the sharp mood swings of the show. They have to add something else and not rely on that alone.

cj_iwakura

Oreimo/MLSCPBTC 1-2

Totally didn't think the show would be a play on otaku culture like this. Liked a lot more than I expected to.

cajunator

Banned
yeah I can see getting tired of the sharp mood swings of the show. They have to add something else and not rely on that alone.
Im enjoying the cute and comedic elements a lot.
The dramatic stuff doesnt seem overused yet but it will have to be a careful balance to avoid overdoing it.

cj_iwakura

I think these should be useful for this thread at some point.

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Defuser

Chihayafuru 2 ep 3
Hell yeah, this is what I'm talking about! Official Karuta tournament matches! Tsutomu really changed alot since his first year, now that's what I call a character development. The Queen knows Arata? Shiiet I want to know the past!

Moonlight

Banned
The Idolm@ster Episode 5

So they rolled a beach and a hot spring episode into one. Well played, Idolm@ster. Well played. Still, it was pretty good given the usual standards for these sorts of things. I can't even figure out that much to say about it. I will say that while not as good as episode 4, it can still claim to be much better than the three episodes before that. Looks like it's gotten into something of a groove, though. Aside from that, there's really not a whole lot I could say about this episode that's particularly distinct from any other episode. Chihaya is still the best idol and the twins are still the worst. Yukiho spent half the episode in a hole, where she belongs. I think I'm starting to like Haruka way more than I thought I would, though. I'm not usually that fond of her type of character, so it was pretty surprising. She just comes across as really earnest about everything, particularly in how she's constantly trying to bring Chihaya out of her shell.

Speaking of, the gags with Chihaya's expression darkening as her attention is brought towards the other idols', uh, assets were quite funny.

Miki was this episode's MVP, though. A lot of really good moments from her - she's a lot more mischievous than I pegged her for.

With all this out of the way, might as well formalize a tier list.

Best:

1. Chihaya
  2. Makoto
  3. Haruka
  4. Miki
  5. Hibiki
  6. Azusa
  7. Takane

Worst:

8. Iori
  9. Yayoi
  10. Ami
  11. Mami

duckroll

From the New World - Episode 17

VhQA2yt.jpg

Kinda moe?

Pretty good start to the new arc. Instead of going for a reset scenario like the last time, this is a large leap forward but at the same time it directly continues the themes addressed at the end of the previous arc. Seems like we're going full steam ahead for the climax at this point. This episode was mostly set up, so there isn't really much to talk about. It does confirm a lot of theories about the intentions of the ratdudes though.

Looks like the real shit is going to hit the fan next week, and there'll probably be some really nice effects animation to boot too. Yum yum. :D

Kotoura-san - 03

What?! Did we get a bad ending? At least we just need to load the saved data and...oh

PSYCHO-PASS - 14

That's how you do an Opening! And nice episode.

Sasami@Ganbaranai

Pretty fun episode, I want to see more of this.

Chihayafuru S2 - 03

Same old Chihaya, never change.
Getting jealous of Tsukuba-kun,
lol.

------------------------------

Considering how the novel first was published in 1999, you must be thinking of something else.
There have since been a couple manga series and live-action films of it, though.

edit: DAMN IT ZEROSHIKI

Last edited by Articalys; 01-24-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: and like usual, this post will go completely ignored due a difference of seconds in posting time... jk, I don't really care

Don't worry, I'm always watching.^^

CorvoSol

Because you can't be a sex symbol, and a good parent(adoptive or otherwise) at the same time.

I dunno, man. Ray pulled it off just fine.

I physically can't comprehend those reactions to Eurekas children

Ever since 2006, Ive never understood peoples violent reactions to them. It honestly puzzles me.

Maybe because they are awful demons whose only purpose is to be as awful as possible and distract the viewer from anything worthwhile in an episode? They're horrid. It's like Haro in Gundam SEED. Something emotional is going on and those damn children just barge the hell in and ruin every and any scene they are in. Eureka should've done the world a favor and left them to die.

People who hate children?

Fun fact: When I re-watched parts of the series recently. I actually had a much better opinion of Renton and the kids. Used to be one of those guys who found both of them annoying to the core, but I was a teen back then, and I'm now a adult, so maybe it's part of my maturation process? plus not to mention I work in child care now and am studying towards becoming a school teacher, so maybe my tolerance levels for children has increased as a result of that? .:p

Really, the only character that outright annoys me in Eureka Seven is Holland. (whom I thought was a bad-ass when I first watched it heh).

I don't hate children though. I tolerated the ones in MSG until it reached the point of inanity, but they're still less terrible than Eureka's brats, because Frau Bow's brat squad function like actual children. They're annoying and stupid, but they're also NOT IN EVERY GODDAMN EPISODE, and they don't DEMAND THE SCENE'S ATTENTION CONSTANTLY.

The kids in Eureka Seven are shrill, fuglier than a pimple on a leper's ass, are better antagonists than the alleged villains in the series, and are constantly everywhere doing everything.

Hell, when one character sees them, the sheer awful of them drives her insane and to blow herself up, rather than to continue to exist in a universe populate by such travesties of screen time.

There are bad characters, like Shinn Asuka in SEED Destiny. There are intolerably bad characters, like the moechanic from Gundam AGE, and then there are characters so wretchedly abominable that you cannot in your wildest dreams comprehend the reason that everyone involved in the project continued to use these hellish nightmares.

EUREKA'S DEMONIC LARVAE ARE WORSE THAN THAT.

In summary: kinda dislike them a little, I guess.

Jex

In all honesty, you are not gonna find a consensus in here as to what anime is a must watch. AnimeGAF's tastes are actually pretty diverse among its members.

Although when you do find consensus or near consensus on something e.g. with Mushi-Shi, Castle of Cagliostro, Cowboy Bebop then you know you've come across something you should definitely check out.

Saprol

Polar Bear Cafe 01
ibtOGlqsxdiDjW.jpg
ibwUZbF4lFUxNl.jpg

iwy81LTVgLIpR.jpg
ibjpB0f1qBpGIX.jpg

I understood like... at most one pun by myself.
Had me at transforming anthropomorphic vehicle opening. Puns, puns everywhere. Panda indulges in his two favourite pastimes: eating and sleeping. His mom is getting sick of it and applies the vacuum cleaner to him until he agrees to go job hunting. All that relaxation doesn't really qualify him for anything except for part-time at a zoo, where the animals put on a show to visitors pretending to be simpler beasts given that they live normally amongst humans the rest of the time.

Hyouka 01
Oreki doesn't like doing a lot of stuff. Like Panda but not nearly as lazy and lovably oafish. So he's pushed into keeping a club alive by his sister with the threat of martial arts rather than a cleaning machine. Chitanda stares a little too hard at him and he can't refuse to look into the mystery, which she should have been quite able at solving herself. But, okay... She shows up again the following day and Oreki humours her again instead of just turning down the interaction. Uh huh. The main group will be complete soon seeing Mayaka in the episode preview.

Madoka Magica 01-02
I'm sure this would have been way better to follow as it aired. I've seen spoilers for what's happening soon so that's not going to be a big twist for me. I'm just glazing over most of the exposition they're giving about magical girls, witches, wishes, etc. There's some reason for Homura to be pissed off at Kyubey but no full reasoning yet.

Speaking of, the gags with Chihaya's expression darkening as her attention is brought towards the other idols', uh, assets were quite funny.
It's unfortunate, but still funny to me. I'm sorry, Chihaya.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
more gabu no baka
I don't know what to feel. Are we talking full tsun tsun love triangle antics here?
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

Here's where the show gets really bizarre. I wasn't an overly huge fan of the OP, and only liked, not loved, the ED (though don't be surprised at all if they both grow on me), but the use of music in this show really is sterling. The song as Utena climbed the spiral stairs...I thought it was great, very contrary to impressions I read earlier today. Then the stage for the duel and the effects going on...yeah, I've definitely never seen anything quite like this.
Syrinx confirmed for better taste than cosmic.

And yeah, Utena is pretty much one of a kind in the medium.
Eureka Seven 30

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEW TALHO IS UGLY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHE RUINED HER HAIR WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
This is the worst opinion I've heard since... well, since cosmic watched Utena.

edit: and this seems to be a trend with the rest of AnimeGAF. for shame
Star Driver 1

OMG. I don't think I've ever seen a first episode that was so scattered, so unbalanced, poorly paced, over burdened with vague character introductions, situations with little setup, etc. that it felt untenable.
Mitsuho is a good man too.
Nothing really matches it in its entirety
To be fair, we are getting there with Inferno Cop.

Shergal

Shin Sekai Yori 17

nj6PTho.jpg

We Ikuhara now

Great episode, introducing us to the dynamics of the
timeskip
in a natural way while advancing the narrative.

There was a lot of talking and indoor scenes, but the storyboard work was very solid here with a fair amount of visual language. There was a lot of focus on the eyes of the characters as they were talking and in the interrogatory scene, and it was very tense thanks to this. It created that ominous aura typical of the show at this point.
The CG queerats are still a bit jarring, but this time it wasn't nearly as bad as ep 6/7.
As for the plot, shit's going down fast after this, probably...

Anyone knows the staff for this episode?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Although when you do find consensus or near consensus on something e.g. with Mushi-Shi, Castle of Cagliostro, Cowboy Bebop
But I thought DTL had made us discover Bebop The Cowboy would be better with more SpikeXVicious slash.
Polar Bear Cafe 01

Had me at transforming anthropomorphic vehicle opening. Puns, puns everywhere. Panda indulges in his two favourite pastimes: eating and sleeping. His mom is getting sick of it and applies the vacuum cleaner to him until he agrees to go job hunting. All that relaxation doesn't really qualify him for anything except for part-time at a zoo, where the animals put on a show to visitors pretending to be simpler beasts given that they live normally amongst humans the rest of the time.
Why are you just watching this just now? This show is gonna get undeservedly ignored in the AotY thread.

Dresden

JoJo - 16

A training episode that is not only the best of this arc so far, but also one of the best episodes in the show.

Also I'm so glad we're out of the garish nazi death hole. Probably the second ugliest location in the animated series after the mansion in Part 1.

CorvoSol

do you have any points of comparison other than gundams

Yes. Bad character = Nia from Gurren Lagann. Intolerably bad character =Vega Obscura in Zoids New Century Zero.

Bad character= Flim Flam, Intolerably bad character = Scrappy Doo.

Need something outside the realm of cartoons?

Bad character =Buddy, from Herman Melville's Buddy or whatever that drivel was called, Intolerably bad character=The kid with the mulberry birthmark from Lord of the Flies, who serves no point in the plot but is mentioned frequently all the same.

I know, I know, how dare I criticize classic literature. I used Gundam because it was recent in memory, not, as you seem to be implying, because Gundam is the only point of comparison I have.

But I'll point out that the kids in Gurren Lagann were also not as wretched and horrible as the waste of voice-actors in Eureka Seven. Not many other mecha shows with children in them spring to mind. I guess maybe Brain Powered, but my experience with that stems from SRWJ, so I'll withhold comment.

The point is that Eureka's children have long since overstayed their welcome and outlived their purpose. Now they just hang around to be awful and mar an otherwise good show.

Saprol

Why are you just watching this just now? This show is gonna get undeservedly ignored in the AotY thread.

I watched a lot of junk during Spring 2012 involving gun girls, Lovecraftian girls, one zombie girl, one zombie guy, and Medaka Box. In retrospect, I should have dropped some of them as I wasn't enjoying them that much on an episode by episode basis.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven 31

Just when I thought I understood what was going on in this show, they introduce
starfish aliens
into the plot. And Dewey's "children" are creeeeeeepy. Also, the part where he asks the Sage if she is saying he has no power reminds me of Dark Knight Rises with Bane.

Also, explaining that
the entire world of Eureka Seven is a post-Terran colony
made for an interesting explanation/twist. New Talho is still uglier than old Talho, and no amount of gratuitous groin focus will be changing that any time soon.

Chill dawg, it weren't me what pissed in your cornflakes. Insult Billy Budd all you want, I've never read it nor do I intend to, judging by a boring French movie I saw once that was based on it.

Honestly I felt the function of the kids in E7 was to demonstrate the growth and maturation of Eureka and Renton over the course of the series in terms of how they behave towards said children, which more or less means that they won't outlive their purpose until like episode 48 or something. You seem to know best, tho.

Renton's and Eureka's maturation is displayed well enough in their treatment of other, more tolerable, less mind-hurtingly awful characters. Renton in particular responds to Holland's abuse and Talho's verbal smackdowns with increased maturity as the series goes. The kids, meanwhile, are like an annoying little alarm clock that goes off to remind you every once in awhile that "Hey all that stuff about mecha and kings and sordid military history doesn't matter why aren't you paying attention to meeeEEEEEeeeeeeee." Just because a child could act that way doesn't mean these hellions deserve the time they get in the show.

And I sure do know best.

One Piece: Episode of Luffy

Yeah, this wasn't really that good. I mean it was nice to see a bit of early OP remade with the shiny modern style, but early OP is still early OP.

I will say the 10 minutes or so of fighting had some absolutely crazy (and nonsensical at points) animation. Almost made me think of Imaishi stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom