• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
From the New World - Episode 17

Pretty good start to the new arc. Instead of going for a reset scenario like the last time, this is a large leap forward but at the same time it directly continues the themes addressed at the end of the previous arc. Seems like we're going full steam ahead for the climax at this point. This episode was mostly set up, so there isn't really much to talk about. It does confirm a lot of theories about the intentions of the ratdudes though.

Looks like the real shit is going to hit the fan next week, and there'll probably be some really nice effects animation to boot too. Yum yum. :D

These rose colored glasses
That I'm looking through
Show only the beauty
Cause they hide all the truth...

It's unfortunate, but still funny to me. I'm sorry, Chihaya.
ibyTotTRt4USWN.jpg

Haha, I love stuff like this. I see I'm going to love these characters very much.

Takane is the girl i always choose when playing the game..i really like her
i did try other pairings ( for the trophies since you need to finish each 60 weeks with each girl as a leader )

For me it's Chihaya, I can't let her out of the trio. And Makoto too...

Awww, the twins are great. I replaced the wrestlers on my PS3 arcade stick with AmiMami keyart
twinstick lol
- I even have colour-appropriate Dance, Visual and Vocal appeal buttons installed.

Pics, please? I find it easier to play in my brothers arcade stick. =p

To be on topic:

Jojo - 16

Joseph is the best MC evar.

Shin Sekai Yori - 17

I hardly could follow the
CG wars, what side was using guns?
And where's my wareta ringo? T___T

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
FLCL 1-6 -END-

That was pretty awesome. There's not much to be said about a plot like this show's, but I liked it.
I was also glad both asshole girls didn't stick around.
The biggest highlight, though, was definitely the use of the soundtrack. Great tunes.

dXsHKk2.png

Brazil

I think there are plenty of people here who would disagree.

Umm, you really need to go watch the commentaries.

Hm, let me rephrase that: I don't think it's the kind of plot I'd be interested in discussing. I'm sure some had a blast digging for hidden meanings in all the seemingly nonsensical scenes and stuff like that, but I'm satisfied with what I understood just from watching it the first time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hm, let me rephrase that: I don't think it's the kind of plot I'd be interested in discussing.
Disinterest in a show's commentary on a certain subject matter != Lack of a show's commentary in a certain subject matter
I'm sure some had a blast digging for hidden meanings and stuff like that, but I'm satisfied with what I understood just from watching it the first time.
It's not exactly hidden when the animators use horns as an euphemism for boners.

Brazil

Disinterest in a show's commentary on a certain subject matter != Lack of a show's commentary in a certain subject matter

It's not exactly hidden when the animators use horns as an euphemism for boners.

So that's what you're talking about? Then I'm back to "there's not much to discuss", haha. It's pretty clear that it's all about penises and vaginas.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So that's what you're talking about? Then I'm back to "there's not much to discuss", haha. It's pretty clear that it's all about penises and vaginas.
If Freud were alive he would publish entire volumes on FLCL. He would also label director Kazuya Tsurumaki with a brocon complex.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
FLCL 1-6 -END-

That was pretty awesome. There's not much to be said about a plot like this show's, but I liked it.
I was also glad both asshole girls didn't stick around.
The biggest highlight, though, was definitely the use of the soundtrack. Great tunes.

Hell yeah man, the soundtrack is fucking legendary.

sonicmj1

While it is, to some degree, about penises and vaginas, it isn't all about penises and vaginas. In addition to the ridiculous spectacle, there's a lot of surprisingly nuanced examinations of various facets of growing up. The director's commentary is a great way to get started, because it makes it easy to watch the show in a new way and hear some aspects of it explained in ways you might not have expected.

I wrote a more exhaustive post explaining one particular use of symbols and metaphors in FLCL to try to get across that there's plenty to the show if you're willing to dive a little deeper than "hurr phallic symbols."

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For the record I only highlight the Freudian aspects of FLCL because it's fun to see people dismiss anything sexual as not worth their time.

Thoraxes

The iDOLM@STER - 11

You know, I don't see the hate for Yukiho. I mean, you have this girl who knows she lacks the looks, the raw talent, ability, confidence, and appeal that the others have, but continues to bust her ass off to make sure she doesn't drag the others down. Getting recognition is her lifeblood, and seeing Takane, the royal queen, give her praise when she needed it most just warmed my heart.

My current concerns like with
Miki
. I fear that her hunger for stardom is going to either destroy her resolve or character, maybe both.
She is one of the best. So adorable.
Soul Eater 13

The music during this fight was pretty cool.

I gotta say, going in this far, I quite like Omigawa's performance for Maka. It's different for a heroine yet it works.
And to think it was her premiere roll!

Danj

Does anyone have a link to the full transliteration of the
song
in the Maou Yuusha ending sequence? I started working on it myself but then made the mistake of googling one of the sentences I'd transliterated and finding that bucketloads of other people had already cracked the code weeks ago, and consequently lost motivation to continue.

It's called
The Obscure Trouvadour's Song
btw.

Jex

Jexhius actually started a thread about notable anime from every decade a while ago, but he never updated it because he's a lazybum.

That wasn't my thread, that was some other guys thread, I just improved it. Considering each decade was taking an hour or more of my time I gave it a rest.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Demon Spice and Wolf 01

This was really enjoyable. Definitely my favorite show that I've checked out from this season so far, two entertaining leads, an intriguing world and promising set up, looking forward to checking out the rest.

Tamako Market 02

I was told to go watch till episode 3 by some folks in here. The problem with that is I had to watch episode 2. Blargh. I hate everything this show is about.

cajunator

Banned
Demon Spice and Wolf 01

This was really enjoyable. Definitely my favorite show that I've checked out from this season so far, two entertaining leads, an intriguing world and promising set up, looking forward to checking out the rest.

Tamako Market 02

I was told to go watch till episode 3 by some folks in here. The problem with that is I had to watch episode 2. Blargh. I hate everything this show is about.
You like her economics, don't you :p

Danj

Demon Spice and Wolf 01

Am I really the only person in the whole of animegaf that's interested in knowing what the stuff in the ending sequence says? :(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Oh hey they fixed your tag. Does Hito still have secret admin powers or something?

Hito is still working on the inside. It's the giant AnimeGAF conspiracy. He's the mole that reports all the daily operations to the higher ups in order to keep us in line.

Nah Gromph is a nice guy and made the change for me. Thanks Gromph!

Am I really the only person in the whole of animegaf that's interested in knowing what the stuff in the ending sequence says? :(

No idea either but I wasn't even thinking about it till you brought it up. Blah!

wonzo

Banned
Smile PreCure! 43-47

smileprecure47.jpg

HOLY SHIT. I don't remember why I put this show off nor do I care as I am PUMPED for the finale. I swear if they outdo the massive beatdowns in episodes 43 and 47 then this is gonna go down as one of the greatest endings ever! FUCK YEAH!

Jex

Jexhius, thanks for going back through Mouryou no Hako. I thought I kept decent tabs on some of the thematic stuff in episode 1, but I began to focus on it less when I didn't see the show doing obvious, anime-ish things with its symbolism. Good to know that's not fruitless.

Keeping those thematic things in mind, the exact manner of
Kanako's sudden disappearance from the hospital
in Episode 3 takes on a lot more symbolic significance.

I think most people focus on the obvious visual symbolism of boxes/dolls but there's plenty of other stuff that ties right back into those visual symbols and helps to contextualise what the story is actually about.

Star Driver 1

OMG. I don't think I've ever seen a first episode that was so scattered, so unbalanced, poorly paced, over burdened with vague character introductions, situations with little setup, etc. that it felt untenable.

Enjoy the ride. Was the best bandai purchase I made and one of the studios best anime. Really good story with its twists and friendship while accompanied with really memorable insert songs.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What happened to Uchip? I heard he was perma-banned from something that happened a day or so ago.

/XX/

I'd say you can skip episodic episodes most of the time as there's no character growth or plot carried over in general.
I see.. so you would say that once you've come to know the character traits there is left accustoming to it and just enjoying their adventures, right? I would assume something like that for this because such a long episodic series would be incredibly complex otherwise.

I want to eventually watch that series, and I think this favors watching it at long intervals. Jumping in after a long time and experience again a bit of those characters you connected with before, that keep being the same... that familiarity sounds good, isn't it?

People hate on fanservice because of cultural conditioning- notice how the only fanservice widely hated (or even spotted) is sexual fanservice. The prejudice is more against sex than pandering to your fanbase.
Yeah, it is a question of how much attention it garners towards how it presents that service. After all, who in this industry has the privilege of not catering to an audience? Practically all things are made with the consumer in mind... production companies always work with that notion in mind, prefabricating expectations.

And I don't see that as something fundamentally bad! Even we could say that knowing there is many people trying to be complacent and bring illusion to others can be seen as something rather nice as well, no?

Italian tanks are terrible. That's why in GuP they had the Oorai Girls Academy beat the Italians off screen. lol
I wanted to see that! We only got to gimpse their commander. Well, guess I'll have to read the manga to see how it plays out.
Yep! Obviating the passion for 'tankettes' the Italians showed... Anchovy can put to good use her fine Carro Armato P40.

A-1 would probably do a good job, considering they've animated Mel Kishida designs before.
Mr. Akai went really beyond what it could be done on So・Ra・No・Wo・To, to adapt for the animation such impractical designs. I think he did a good job achieving really expressive characters in comparison!

Heh! If that PLATZ model kit was already difficult to reserve, this intended combo they will promote will make people fight in the streets for these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom