• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

DiGiKerot I still want to see pics of your arcade stick, pretty please? T___T

Oh, yeah, sorry - I was out when you asked about it earlier, and forgot by the time I got back home. Also, it's not really all that interesting to look out - it's honestly a case of me procrastinating for so long about what to do with the darn thing that I just threw something together quickly just to get something done with it.

iYaRfjG.jpg

Bonus 3DS with PiyoPiyo Puchimas charm!

In taking that picture, I am suddenly reminded that my iPhone identifies itself as Mami, and I'm pretty sure that's not the MadoMagi one...

Moonlight

Banned
The Idolm@ster Episode 6

Another solid episode. Looks like that new idol unit really lit a fire under the producer's ass. For an ensemble episode, it did a much better job balancing the disparate elements of the cast than some similar episodes. And Azusa looks a lot better with short hair. Was pretty disappointed that they skipped right past Miki and Makoto's performance, although given what happens not five minutes later, I shouldn't complain about it too much.

On that note, I'm not sure what I thought about the dancing at the end. I guess this is what I was expecting out of the show, but I'm pretty mixed on it. I'd like to say it looked good, but there's something about it that just looked really off to me. It seems like they transposed 2D animation over a 3D environment and it's hard to be entirely complimentary of that. The 3D camera definitely doesn't look good. I appreciated the hair movement, although suddenly I realize the harsh pragmatism (despite it being an improvement) behind Azusa's haircut - less they need to animate. It's a subtle shortcut, but now it's impossible to get out of my head.

I don't think my opinions on the idols has changed much from previous episodes yet (that's to say, Chihaya is still the best). Although I'm starting to get quite fond of Miki, who is apparently a natural at the whole idol thing. I dunno, she's very likable. Guessing that they'll come back to her at some point given her misinterpretation of the producer over Ryuuguu Komachi.

This show really does get better when there's less emphasis on characters like the twins.

now that is lewd

The season of lewd.

It's just DiGiKerot mentioned he had an arcade stick with the buttons matching the visual, vocal and dance from Idolm@ster, and I like to play it with the arcade stick, it's much easier to time your press.

Oh, yeah, sorry - I was out when you asked about it earlier, and forgot by the time I got back home. Also, it's not really all that interesting to look out - it's honestly a case of me procrastinating for so long about what to do with the darn thing that I just threw something together quickly just to get something done with it.

I taking that picture, I am suddenly reminded that my iPhone identifies itself as Mami, and I'm pretty sure that's not the MadoMagi one...

Thanks.^^

With the arcade stick I just mess up when it's time to do the appeals, I go "Where da fuck is L1,L2,R1,R2...oh shit I forgot what button does the appeal"

DiGiKerot

I read today that the reason the production company in the iDOLM@STER is called 765 Productions is because an alternative reading of the numbers means it's pronounced as Namco Productions. Woah.

Well, yeah, all the production companies in iM@S are like that - 961pro is Kuroi Pro, and 876pro is BaNam (Bandai Namco) Pro.

It's just DiGiKerot mentioned he had an arcade stick with the buttons matching the visual, vocal and dance from Idolm@ster, and I like to play it with the arcade stick, it's much easier to tiem your press.

I find iM@S way, way harder to play with a stick, quite frankly.

Shergal

Kigami's commentary for Hyouka 5 is kind of funny:

This is Miyoshi, the director and storyboarder for episode 5.

I have a sudden confession to make. To me as I was directing this portion of Hyouka, I was also trying to solve the mystery stuffed into the anthology just like the characters. It was a “Participatory anime.” The audience weren’t the only ones who were trying to solve this mystery, we staff were also feeling nervous about what would happen if we didn’t figure out the solution.

The mystery itself, the “Significant Hyouka Incident,” occurred at our studio. It had already begun the morning I sat at my desk to begin work on the storyboards.
The character sheet for the important person entangled in the Hyouka mystery, Jun Sekitani, had disappeared from the top of my desk.

There was an uproar! The staff went into chaos! Was it really lost? Could someone have really taken it?
Director: “Hey you! Where are you hiding my sheet?”
AniDir: “I’m innocent! (Grr)”
The mystery thickened.

Even so, the one person who knew the truth behind this event was not far away.

Supervisor: “Ah, Jun Sekitani, right? Actually, since he wasn’t going to appear in the show, we never settled on an image for him. (laughs)”

Ah, I see now. So that was what he wanted, huh? So there was never a Jun Sekitani sheet on my desk to begin with… If that’s the case, then my memory up to now must be incorrect… no, I was acting like an idiot… And so that was the scary “Significant Hyouka Incident” inside KyoAni.

And so from that, I directed the fifth episode through the perspective from the two women who knew Jun Sekitani: Eru Chitanda and Youko Itoigawa. Through their memories of how he was in the past, we were able to view him.

Though his memories were brought to the surface in this episode, the image of Jun Sekitani was still very faint. Each of the women had subtly manipulated their own memories to think of him how they wished. I was curious if the real person would differ from how they viewed him. Perhaps we should say “It should lose all subjectivity if you’re going to treat it from a historical event in your anthology.” Due to the two women, I was not able to capture Jun Sekitani’s image.

I imagine the guy going nuts and Takemoto going all "Sekitani Jun? who?"

He's he product of a bygone era when every show had to have a mascot because I don't know why the fuck those were like the hot springs and beach episodes of their day. Even Evangelion suffers from this illness in the shape of Pen Pen, aka the only comic relief that fails at being comic relief.

Pen Pen hate? Those are fighting words if I've ever heard some.

MISATO BEST GIRL.

Worst spelling of Asuka I've ever seen in my life.

I apologize in advance for the next three pages

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
To be frank, I don't know a lick of Japanese and the only numbers I know are one and two and that's only because I heard a terrible joke about having an itchy knee.

You at least listen, right? They basically pronounce it namco.

Nafe

Crest of the Stars (Seikai no Monshou)

Episode 11

Hm. The beginning of the episode before the opening tells a story between the United Mankind and Humankind Abh Empire and seems to once again show the Abh in a better light. Even just the static background image of a person surrounded by Angels.

zv0d8Gl.jpg

She only shows up for a few seconds as part of a military traffic check but I just liked her design.

I like this Kahyul fellow. Just the way he would respond to the Admiral.
"It's true we displayed quite a bit of force. Perhaps unnecessarily too much."
"Yes, any logical commander would think that way."
"Unlike you, I hold the Information Bureau in a higher regard."

Even after the admiral finally gives the order to surround the enemy fleet.
"I don't think that would be wise."
Stumbles. "What now? Why not?"
"While we would still win, our lines would be spread too thin. A direct assault would lead to less unnecessary casualties."
The female attack officer,Shuril, agrees.
"Fine."

Haha, I think Kahyul should be commander with Shuril as adviser instead.

Just after the opening when Jinto is listening to the broadcast, it makes it seem that the United Mankind look down on the Abh a bit unfairly due to their origins. It was kind of interesting how the story did briefly go back to what show shown and mentioned right at the start in the first episode though. Although it does seem that the Abh are trying to get the monopoly on everything which would naturally upset the United Mankind.

I somehow forgot to mention it when talking about the last episode but
I think I'm starting to get used to Lafiel with her hair being black. I think I might still like it better when it was blue though. It was kind of interesting how in the last episode Jinto remarked about the Abh thinking nothing of changing their genes but Lafiel was really reluctant to dye her hair. Trying to let on a bit more about Lafiel and how she views things personally?

It also seems that Jinto still seems himself as being more of a terran due to his upbringing but at the same time has come to accept the fact that he's part of the Abh now. The events that transpired in the hotel room didn't go as I imagined which makes the story seem to be going in an interesting direction as well.

acD3V6i.jpg

I've noticed this type of shot framing used three or four times now when there is a space battle. A female is in front with her chest almost the focus even though the depth of field is focusing on the person making comments in the back. I guess this was 90s fanservice before things became more the way they are today.

When the battle starts to get underway in the latter part of the episode it's really exciting to watch. Some nice animation and effects along with all kinds of action going on and the general chatter between ships. I liked the way it would switch between real time battles between ships and then the current status indicators onboard the monitor to help give you an idea of the general status and resulting positions of the ships from that. It let's you keep up with what is happening along with all the visual flair in a quick and dynamic way.

FsFkURj.jpg

My new goddess! <3 <3 <3
I love this picture and this BA Beauty is voiced by Rica Fukami too!

Near the end of the episode we are introduced to the captain of the patrol ship Futune. It's nice how this show has awesome female characters in more lead roles. She's voiced by Rica Fukami too! She seem to start with a less energetic tone than when voicing Minako but then her voice slips into those higher volumes a bit and it's like listening to Minako being some awesome, tuff space captain. It's great. :)
Just the way she can immediately assess the situation and hand out orders, all while remaining super calm and confident. That's the kind of captain you want. The way she teases her second in command there was amusing too.

More of her please. ;)

OreShura 4

lQuhcL6.jpg

It was me! Kono Masuzu da!

FUCK this embarrassing show, it took me way too long to watch the middle part of this episode. New girl is introduced next episode so I can only hope something like this will never happen ever again.

DiGiKerot

Crest of the Stars (Seikai no Monshou)
Near the end of the episode we are introduced to the captain of the patrol ship Futune. It's nice how this show has awesome female characters in more lead roles. She's voiced by Rica Fukami too! She seem to start with a less energetic tone than when voicing Minako but then her voice slips into those higher volumes a bit and it's like listening to Minako being some awesome, tuff space captain. It's great. :)
Just the way she can immediately assess the situation and hand out orders, all while remaining super calm and confident. That's the kind of captain you want. The way she teases her second in command there was amusing too.

More of her please. ;)

Spoor is pretty much the best character in the whole franchise. Well, the best character who isn't criminally underused, at least.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
While it is, to some degree, about penises and vaginas, it isn't all about penises and vaginas. In addition to the ridiculous spectacle, there's a lot of surprisingly nuanced examinations of various facets of growing up. The director's commentary is a great way to get started, because it makes it easy to watch the show in a new way and hear some aspects of it explained in ways you might not have expected.

I wrote a more exhaustive post explaining one particular use of symbols and metaphors in FLCL to try to get across that there's plenty to the show if you're willing to dive a little deeper than "hurr phallic symbols."

That's pretty cool. I'm usually too lazy to watch commentary tracks, but I guess this time I'll do it.

Emitan

He's he product of a bygone era when every show had to have a mascot because I don't know why the fuck those were like the hot springs and beach episodes of their day. Even Evangelion suffers from this illness in the shape of Pen Pen, aka the only comic relief that fails at being comic relief.

I thought you were my husbando.

Tamako Market just makes me feel so good. I don't know why but I can't help but have a huge grin on my face whenever I watch it. I'm really happy the new girl ends up as friends with Tamako by the end of the episode and they didn't drag it out over the series.

Disappointed there wasn't more on the lesbian sub plot :(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hm. The beginning of the episode before the opening tells a story between the United Mankind and Humankind Abh Empire and seems to once again show the Abh in a better light. Even just the static background image of a person surrounded by Angels.
Eh, I'm pretty sure it's more nuanced than that, especially how that specific sequence portrays the whole conflict. (which I love). Did you not remember the moment in one of the earlier episodes where it shows the
abh literally causing destruction on other worlds?
The only reason the conflict appears one-dimensional is due to the limited POV of the series.:) but I don't believe the author ever intended to have the abh appear as the "good guys" and the united mankind as the "bad guys"

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Tamako Market just makes me feel so good. I don't know why but I can't help but have a huge grin on my face whenever I watch it. I'm really happy the new girl ends up as friends with Tamako by the end of the episode and they didn't drag it out over the series.

Disappointed there wasn't more on the lesbian sub plot :(

Don't fret. There's still another 8 or 9 episodes to go! :D

Evangelion fails at a lot of things.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!: Depth of Field - Ai to Nikushimi Gekijyo 2
tumblr_mh3n0a5Zsf1qdc388o1_r1_500.gif

Pretty dull and never did anything with the build up. Could have spent more time in the cockpit or at least highlighting the mecha rising with some sort of full body shot...maybe I guess a fight in the next one? Hopefully.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 3

First, the OP has grown on me. Pretty quick, I know.

So there was no duel scene in this episode. But I'm perfectly okay with this. I don't want them to force a new opponent for Utena in every episode. No, this episode was all about furthering the relationship between Utena and Himemiya. They are invited to a ball, but it's mainly a trap planned for Himemiya by Minami, a sick weirdo who's furious at Himemiya cause she thinks she's taking her brother from him. Even though she really isn't. He's got his eyes on Utena. I think he's evil. But he does scorn Minami for the prank.

Anyway, she has a waiter spill champagne on Himemiya's dress, which dissolves when it gets wet. Utena sees what's going down and is all "Ah, hell naw!"To save Himemiya, she rips off her own dress, wearing her uniform underneath, and drapes it around Himemiya. They then dance together as Chu-chu (whom nobody else seems to notice) rides on the turntable. Very heartwarming (and :sdburton, but I'm not concerned with that) moment.

One of these days Wakaba's going to knock herself and Utena over that ledge.

Steroyd

Gunbuster - 02

Man only 2 episodes and I'm already regretting the decision to watch this, I mean look.

Am I ever going to see stuff like this ever again, unless I jump into even more 80's/90's anime that's sitting in my backlog somewhere, I'm going to have to let these scenes burn into my retina's and savour this while I'm watching it.

uosE1yT.jpg

This show has the gall to have floating debris!!

Very good episode, although the way that red headed girl
did a complete 180... or did she?
was a little jarring, but otherwise Noriko coming to terms with her father was really good.

Sora no Woto 6 (rewatch)

Probably my favorite episode that isn't 7.5. Episodes of any show where you first see how one person/set of characters day goes by, and then switching to another person/set of characters to see how their events affected the former is great and I love it.
Mishio telling Yumina she cares for her by letting her do her hair how her mother used to makes me choke up every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom