• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 4

I've become apathetic to this show, the only thing it inspires in me is desire to rewatch Spice and Wolf.

I think this one would do much better if its script (and economic talk) wasn't so clumsy.

Quasar

This is what I'm watching.

Pretty terrible season indeed.

I'm pretty happy. My watchlist being something like:

Haganai S2
Chihayafuru S2
Kotoura-san
Little Busters
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
OreShura
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (continuing)
Sasami-san
Tamako Market (constantly on the bubble due to my hate of that bird)
Zetsuen no Tempest (continuing)

+I still have a backlog.

So its probably not that different from last season.

Ginga e Kickoff 33

Althought I already saw screens of this, was still great finally seeing it in action and such.
Kageura laughing at Ouzou's lines and then their promise of playing 1 on 1 was just as good as the uzumaki employed here and everyones retrospective.

Kuroko's Basketball NG-shuu 02

hLvKXR7l.jpg

Hence I never saw the appeal of dunking.

Syrinx

K-ON!! 19

I feel...kinda burned out on this show I think. I don't think I enjoyed this as much as I should have.

Mio did really pull off that role perfectly. I'm not sure how she did that. The whole setup was them practicing and struggling. She was even struggling the day before. And then she just nails it like nothing. I guess that's like Mio in her musical performance too, but she's a fairly experienced musician, as opposed to the first time she's ever acted.

Then they pull an "all-nighter" to get ready for the band's festival performance. But it's really just a sleepover where they eat Ui's food and such. I don't think they know what an "all-nighter" is.

Quasar

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 4

I've become apathetic to this show, the only thing it inspires in me is desire to rewatch Spice and Wolf.

I think this one would do much better if its script (and economic talk) wasn't so clumsy.

My issue is that I feel it would watch much better in longer blocks. I'm really liking it, like the pace of it, but with that pacing 20 minute episodes do not really work for me. Its like some heavily decompressed US comics in that way.

Add to that only 12 episodes makes me feel we won't actually get anywhere.

Yeah, I think I might have had the same thought as far as just capitalizing them.
Japanese Kana aren't really too bad. The fact that each one basically uses all the vowels I think made it actually easier to learn. You know, ka ki ku ke ko type of thing.

Kanji can have some similarities to them so you can kind of group them or one reminds you of another but sometimes that can come back and be a hindrance too, haha. They're kind of a double edged sword. The fact that they convey both a meaning and a sound is handy for reading though. You might not know how to pronounce a word but you might recognize the Kanji and can at least get an approximation of what it means.
I've never tried learning any Japanese yet, I'm sure giving it a try won't hurt. Though I don't really have the time or patience for it right now. So I take it you know a thing or two about it? I guess I could ask you for help with Japanese if I ever need it.

Yeah, I spend most of my money as far as hobbies on video games but more and more are looking to be not purchase worthy. Not that they're bad games or not fun but just so many are becoming a lot shorter or focusing on multiplayer that I'd rather just rent them for a weekend or week and probably wouldn't go back to them.

I don't buy that many games compared to how a lot of other GAFers seem to buy, but there's always enough games to keep me busy. And there's a lot of older games I love to keep coming back to every year, so I don't worry to much about the industry changing to something I don't like.

cajunator

Banned
K-ON!! 19

I feel...kinda burned out on this show I think. I don't think I enjoyed this as much as I should have.

Mio did really pull off that role perfectly. I'm not sure how she did that. The whole setup was them practicing and struggling. She was even struggling the day before. And then she just nails it like nothing. I guess that's like Mio in her musical performance too, but she's a fairly experienced musician, as opposed to the first time she's ever acted.

Then they pull an "all-nighter" to get ready for the band's festival performance. But it's really just a sleepover where they eat Ui's food and such. I don't think they know what an "all-nighter" is.

K-On is best enjoyed a little at a time. Marathoning these comedy a slice of life shows gets a bit tedious because of the episodic nature. I have always had difficulty marathoning shows like this.

Shergal

K-ON!! 19

You're going way too fast for the pace K-On!! sets. The first season was a bit more active, but S2 is much closer to a healing show, it's not the best thing to rush it.

If you're burned out, hold down for a bit and then come back, because you don't want to ruin episode 20 for yourself due to that.

Syrinx

You're going way too fast for the pace K-On!! sets. The first season was a bit more active, but S2 is much closer to a healing show, it's not the best thing to rush it.

If you're burned out, hold down for a bit and then come back, because you don't want to ruin episode 20 for yourself due to that.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I think I'll come back to it in a couple of weeks or so and focus on addressing my backlog a bit. I'll be evaluating that at some point soon, as I have Utena now but I don't want to burn myself out on that, since it seems very interesting.

Mr.Jeff

Ah, no, what I meant was that there's one character I like more that Spoor in the sequel series, but they don't get as much screentime as I'd like, as apposed to making a comment on there not being enough Spoor in the franchise.
The Twins?
I always really liked them. I never really disliked any characters until the 3rd season OVA I think?

Ah, thinking about how we won't get any more of the series depresses me.

Syrinx's impressions of Utena are pushing me to start Utena finally....

K-ON!! 19

Mio's problems are entirely in her head. She lacks confidence rather than any acting/singing skills. Once she gets over that initial hump, she gets pretty relaxed.

cajunator

Banned

I think thats why I also watch al ittle of Sailor moon at a time. Although now at episode 37, there is enough continuity going on that its a race to the end of the series so I can finally see what all the fuss about the rest of Sailor Moon is about ( I know almost nothing about Sailor moon after first series!)

DiGiKerot

The Twins?
I always really liked them. I never really disliked any characters until the 3rd season OVA I think?

Ah, no, I was a fan of
Ekuryua
, who, despite
being part of Lafiels bridge crew
didn't get as much screen time as I might have liked.

Syrinx

I think thats why I also watch al ittle of Sailor moon at a time. Although now at episode 37, there is enough continuity going on that its a race to the end of the series so I can finally see what all the fuss about the rest of Sailor Moon is about ( I know almost nothing about Sailor moon after first series!)

Nah brah, Ami can carry 16 non-stop hours of animu all by herself. ANd she wouldn't even have to thry that hard.

Mr.Jeff

Ah, no, I was a fan of
Ekuryua
, who, despite
being part of Lafiels bridge crew
didn't get as much screen time as I might have liked.
Aha! Yeah she's great.
Two points I really like with her are the scene when Lafiel catches them together and where normally you'd have a scene from something like To Love RU, it just plays out totally normally.

The other being when she's piloting the ship in the Banner III OVA. You end up seeing more of her emotion in that than at any any other time almost!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yeah, I think I might have had the same thought as far as just capitalizing them.
Japanese Kana aren't really too bad. The fact that each one basically uses all the vowels I think made it actually easier to learn. You know, ka ki ku ke ko type of thing.

Kanji can have some similarities to them so you can kind of group them or one reminds you of another but sometimes that can come back and be a hindrance too, haha. They're kind of a double edged sword. The fact that they convey both a meaning and a sound is handy for reading though. You might not know how to pronounce a word but you might recognize the Kanji and can at least get an approximation of what it means.

I'm taking some private Japanese lessons myself. I find it's better to learn the meaning of the kanji, and then the meanings of the words. Once you know the words and the kanji associated with them, you'll know how to pronounce it depending on the word being used. Additionally my buddy is also showing me how everything has a story to it.

I just need to make more time to study between games, anime, and art (that last one robbing me of a lot of my free time of late). >>;

Yeah, I spend most of my money as far as hobbies on video games but more and more are looking to be not purchase worthy. Not that they're bad games or not fun but just so many are becoming a lot shorter or focusing on multiplayer that I'd rather just rent them for a weekend or week and probably wouldn't go back to them.

I need to learn to spend less on games, esp. since I just don't have as much time to play them as I used to. :( I bought Ni no Kuni on Tuesday and while highly liking it I'm only about 3-4 hours in. Granted, part of that is because I've played quite a bit of it on DS, so the story isn't exactly new for me at the moment. XD

Funnily enough despite my love of anime and manga, my first introduction to MKR was the Sega Saturn game.

cajunator

Banned
I've already cut back on game spending. I buy a few big titles full price and the lesser third party stuff is bought secondhand usually. Used to buy everything brand new, but its not worth it when there is so much animu stuff to get instead.

Syrinx

Persona 4 Golden is the only game released in like the last eight months I felt I just *had* to play. Everything else...some of it looks good, but I just don't feel the same hype anymore really.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Persona 4 Golden is the only game released in like the last eight months I felt I just *had* to play. Everything else...some of it looks good, but I just don't feel the same hype anymore really.

Get on that Virtue's Last Reward, man.

GINTAMA 227

This cross over episode was really good with all the jabs everyone was throwing at each other.. nice ending and nice fake preview ..i wonder if sket dance did something similar too ? ( or if it was limited at gintama only ? )

What a waste of good animation for such stupid reasons..

VERDICT : VERY GOOD

Steroyd

Gunbuster - 03

pfcRYP9.jpg

Within 5 seconds of seeing this guy, I thought
DEATH FLAG ACTIVATED!

Males? IN MY GARDEN!?

And I don't know why, but the "I was powerless to do anything" trope was infinitely more tolerable than what plagues a lot of protagonists in the past, was it because she was female? Was it because she gained resolve in the very same episode? Is it because this is only 6 episodes? Who knows?

And something broke me a little a ways into the episode when Toren Smith sounded like someone I heard before, and then...

SUUUUUUPEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR~

Ultimadrago

But since that seems to be an official mix and more of an arrangement that a simple 8-bit rendition of the tune, have something that fits the bill more.

Zzz 8Bbbit Ssstyle

Or perhaps more recent. JoJo's Sono Chi no Sadame

I've gotten pretty fond of this one.

Nichijou OP 2 8 Bit Remix

The video for this is pretty weird, as it's a crossover with Madoka, but the way the video is presented is pretty cool and it has the best 8 bit version of Hyadain no Kakakata I've heard.

Nice.

I haven't even played 999.

You have reminded me that I still haven't played this yet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It didn't even come out in this country. But hey at least they released the sequel to the game that no one could buy here! Were they afraid the emergency services would complain about the name?

Steroyd

I will now remove my shirt as GAFers prepare their spiked whips.

I don't think 999 even released here in the UK. :(

GINTAMA 227

This cross over episode was really good with all the jabs everyone was throwing at each other.. nice ending and nice fake preview ..i wonder if sket dance did something similar too ? ( or if it was limited at gintama only ? )

What a waste of good animation for such stupid reasons..

VERDICT : VERY GOOD

Sket Dance did do something similar, but because Gintama aired first, it did all the jokes that came from both the Sket Dance and Gintama mangas, and it ends up being awful in comparison (not even leftovers for jokes)

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
K-ON!! 19

I saw S2 straight and was definitely burned out by K-On!! A man can only take a certain amount of moe cuteness. I also felt a lot of the beginning middle episodes were kinda boring. The marathon episode is a perfect example. S1 also has a bit more of a story with Yui making friends and finding her place.

Syrinx

It didn't even come out in this country. But hey at least they released the sequel to the game that no one could buy here! Were they afraid the emergency services would complain about the name?

Hey I actually get a Britain joke! I'm proud of myself.

Nafe

If only, Yotsuba&! anime existed.

I haven't read any of Yotsuba&!, though I know of it. Is he/she a good kid then?

I've never tried learning any Japanese yet, I'm sure giving it a try won't hurt. Though I don't really have the time or patience for it right now. So I take it you know a thing or two about it? I guess I could ask you for help with Japanese if I ever need it.

I could see what I could do.

I don't buy that many games compared to how a lot of other GAFers seem to buy, but there's always enough games to keep me busy. And there's a lot of older games I love to keep coming back to every year, so I don't worry to much about the industry changing to something I don't like.

Looking at those "What are you playing?" threads, I'm not sure how some are doing it but it seems almost like they're getting all the big new releases that come out. Not renting them but actually buying them is how it's coming across.

There are still some new games that interest me but right now I think I'm more interested in playing older games that I haven't tried yet or going back to ones that I haven't played for quite a few years.

I need to learn to spend less on games, esp. since I just don't have as much time to play them as I used to. :( I bought Ni no Kuni on Tuesday and while highly liking it I'm only about 3-4 hours in. Granted, part of that is because I've played quite a bit of it on DS, so the story isn't exactly new for me at the moment. XD

For the past while I've been playing less games but longer games like RPGs.

OceanBlue

For the past while I've been playing less games but longer games like RPGs.

I wish I could say the same. I'm at the point where I don't feel comfortable setting aside large chunks of my time to play RPGs, so I stick to mobile/handheld games and fighting games.

It doesn't seem to matter since I waste tons of time being unproductive in other ways. Quick time-wasters like mobile games are still time-wasters if you play them for a long time, unfortunately. :(

Oh man, now I want to customize my fightstick with Im@s awesomeness.

I was thinking about doing it with one of the iM@S EDs, but I can't find a good way to set up the design. I still have a Strike Witches design sitting on my computer that I've wanted to use for the longest time. Haha, I can't imagine how my other fighting game friends would react though.

BluWacky

It could be worse. I played it and didn't like it, that's tantamount to blasphemy.

OH GOD THE TEXT SO SLOW MAKE IT GO FASTER GO FASTER STUPID OVERLY VERBOSE VISUAL NOVEL

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

You have reminded me that I still haven't played this yet.

I don't think 999 even released here in the UK. :(

Get on that, guys. Both games are amazing, and the DS is region-free :p

It could be worse. I played it and didn't like it, that's tantamount to blasphemy.

OH GOD THE TEXT SO SLOW MAKE IT GO FASTER GO FASTER STUPID OVERLY VERBOSE VISUAL NOVEL

:(

Mr.Jeff

That's where ebay comes in! Although VG+ also now has a shop on Amazon UK as well.

I often think my frankly ridiculous backlog of games is the one thing that stops me from watching more anime; sort of a guilt trip about how I'm not doing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom