• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Go ahead and order it. The whole point of that is being able to watch it later.
i have a couple hundred shows on my shelves in my room. Do you think I marathon all of it? Very few actually.
When I marathon lately it is at my friends place. He is about the only person in town aside from my roommates who will watch anime with others.
With shows like K-on, Hidamari, Azudai, Acchi kocchi, joshiraku, etc I space episodes out to avoid burnout. Even the cutest, most enjoyable show will grow tiresome if you overdo it.

Yeah good point. It's also pretty cheap now (well, cheaper).

One point I never really thought about is how much I'm enjoying Cowboy Bebop, when I'm hardly marathoning that. Hell, it's mostly just two or three episodes on the weekend, tops, cause I'm watching it with my brother. I need to treat more anime like that. I'll finish the episode of Utena I'm watching now and then I'll hold off on more of its awesomeness til next weekend. :)

Chronoexe

The iDOLM@STER 1

Hey, that wasn't bad.

Too early for me to make rankings unfortunately, but I know who won't be ranking favorably: Chihaya (seems pretty lame) and Yayoi (that terrible voice, my poor ears).

But but she is the best. :(

aaaaaaaand another Yayoi hater has born.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
The iDOLM@STER 1

Hey, that wasn't bad.

Too early for me to make rankings unfortunately, but I know who won't be ranking favorably: Chihaya (seems pretty lame) and Yayoi (that terrible voice, my poor ears).

We can't be friends anymore if you don't like Chihaya =(

hunter x hunter - 64
Hunter%20X%20Hunter%20-%2064.jpg

On their ways to Nen mastery !

More training , more boomer , more brigade.

Excellent episode.

Pacing is still great ..but right now it seems even too fast regarding to what happenned in the manga..

cajunator

Banned
Yeah good point. It's also pretty cheap now (well, cheaper).

One point I never really thought about is how much I'm enjoying Cowboy Bebop, when I'm hardly marathoning that. Hell, it's mostly just two or three episodes on the weekend, tops, cause I'm watching it with my brother. I need to treat more anime like that. I'll finish the episode of Utena I'm watching now and then I'll hold off on more of its awesomeness til next weekend. :)
You'll know when you find an anime to marathon. You will just keep watching it nonstop, possibly even skipping the op/ed so you can get your next fix. You really don't even think about the marathon, it just becomes one.

From the first episode, there wasn't much to Chihaya. All I remember is that she likes to sing. That is the one I'm thinking of, right?

Articalys

AKB0048 Next Stage 4

Yeah, having watched the actual AKB48 elections last year really did help give some perspective on this episode.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Psycho Pass 13

Akane has always come across as the incompetent character in the series but this episode really hits the point to why she was chosen as the rookie detective to begin with. Even now she still puts her faith into the system, even after everything that has happened. And the post-ending segment to the episode was pretty crazy.

The show continues to present the Sibyl system in a negative light. I find this to be fascinating to a certain extent, the people choose to accept the system and live with it with all the flaws. The dialogue on the roof was really striking, there is an acknowledgment that the system is heavily flawed and yet at the basic core of it still manages to do what it was set out to do better than the humans can. But the way its framed really makes the show enjoyable as its simply not your typical good vs evil type of show but rather one that is just mixed in terms of alignment. Dat commissioner lady is totally evil though.

Really love how this episode manages to tie in everything that has happened in the past. A character who was seemingly inconsequential before looks like shes getting thrown right into the spotlight.

The reveal of
THE FATHER
was my favorite part of this episode. The way the show manages to go about this is cool. It's not presented in an over the top kind of way and it wasn't done out of the gate, it's simply just part of the conversation because its really not that big of a deal. Its how the relationship between the two characters should naturally be rather than feeding it to the viewer in some unnatural manner.

Moonlight

Banned
From the first episode, there wasn't much to Chihaya. All I remember is that she likes to sing. That is the one I'm thinking of, right?
There's not much to any of the characters from the first episode, but yes, you're thinking of the right one. She's easily the best at it of the cast, as well.

OceanBlue

There's not much to any of the characters from the first episode, but yes, you're thinking of the right one. She's easily the best at it of the cast, as well.

She's the best in-universe, but in my opinion Takahashi Chiaki (Azusa) is a better singer than Imai Asami.

Kagami

Lol, are we really the only two who voted for Strike Witches? What a shame.
Oh it'll definitely be on my list when I vote.
I'm still finishing up a few shows this weekend.
Speaking of which...

Queen's Blade Rebellion 4

I can't get enough of Mirim. She's so lovable.

ievO7TkC5rZRL.jpg

I always thought she was attractive in the artwork I'd seen, but I didn't know much about the character.
Now seeing her moving and talking, voiced by Toyosaki Aki no less (Yui in K-On!), I only like her more.
She's got this perfect balance of cute and sexy.

Previously I'd played around with Mirim a little in the browser game, Queen's Blade - The Conquest, and all of her weapons and equipment have "Super Vibration/Vibrating" in their names, e.g. "Super Vibration Sword" and such, and her move names as well, "Super Vibration Field," "Super Vibration Boomerang," etc.
So I knew going in to the anime that this "super vibration" power was a thing for her character. But now seeing how it actually works...well it never occurred to me it would work like that.
It even has a remote control.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, really, considering it's Queen's Blade. In any case, everything went better than expected.

I see people saying that Mirim feels out of place in Queen's Blade, both due to her big-eyed cute design and semi-deformed proportions, and also because of her timid personality. I see where people are coming from on that, but I still love her to pieces nonetheless.

Anyway, four episodes in, I'm still enjoying Rebellion.
I'm apprehensive after hearing so many negative opinions on it from fans of the previous Queen's Blade anime, but we'll see how it goes.

As of episode 4, my Rebellion ranking is:

1. Mirim
2. Annelotte
3. Liliana (mostly just on looks at this point)
4. Yuit
5. Ymir
6. Branwen (she hasn't appeared much either, but giving points for her VA)
7. Sigui
8. Elina
9. LunaLuna

Well yeah, but she seemed to have less focus on her than the other girls did. Or maybe I'm just crazy and don't remember most of it.

Moonlight

Banned
She's the best in-universe, but in my opinion Takahashi Chiaki (Azusa) is a better singer than Imai Asami.
I haven't heard any of Azusa's songs thus far (I don't think Smoky Thrill counts), so I can't make that call just yet, but Aoi Tori is miles ahead of any of the other inserts I've heard in this show.

Articalys

Please discuss any preliminary AOTY results over PM.
I don't mind people counting things up ahead of time, but I'd rather it not be out in the open.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 4

The episode begins with
some kid named Mickey challenging Utena to a duel so Himimiya can be his. The episode then actually travels back a bit to explain why he's doing it.

So Mickey has this song that he always plays on the piano, but he can't seem to get it juusssttt perfect. He needs some "special thing". He then meets Himimiya, and they take a liking to each other. Nanami, for whatever reason, wants to put an end to this. Probably just to make Himimiya miserable. Don't really know why. Her brother isn't interested in her; she saw him going for Utena. Perhaps she's just a bitter loser who wants to take out her sexual frustration on Himimiya instead of Utena cause she knows Utena will fuck her up good if she tries to fuck with her.

Nanami and Mickey go for a study session with Himimiya and Utena. Nanami has a plan to plant gross animals in various places so Mickey thinks she's a freak. Kinda a hilarious backfire though: when she goes to put a snail in her pencil box, she discovers with horror that she already keeps a family of snails in her pencil box. And Mickey thinks it's cute. So she then goes to a backup plan by putting a snake in her desk...only to discover she keeps a mongoose in there! And Mickey still thinks it's cute! So she goes to put an octopus in her closet (even if it didn't end up backfiring like it did, it obviously would have been a set-up, cause you know, OCTOPUSES LIVE IN WATER, NOT CLOSETS!) But then it turns out she has some giant octopus doll/ad or something in her closet. Shocking news, Mickey thinks it's cute.

Then Himimiya ends up playing Mickey's song on the piano cause Chu-chu found the music paper for it and she was alone after Nanami starting throwing a hissy fit. And it sounds perfect. Now Mickey has found his "special thing". This is presumably what leads to his duel with Utena. Interesting though, how her next opponent isn't some evil weirdo. And how he actually has a reason for wanting Himimiya other than to abuse her so he can hide his pathetic inferiority complex unlike a certain someone. Will be interesting to see how this goes down.

I love how this show uses music. What stuck out to me in particular was the scene with Mickey in the library talking to Jury. The song during this part was fucking beautiful. Exotic, serene, yet mysterious. Awesome shit.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Probably late, but I see your tag got changed!

Yep thank based Gromph.

Seriously glad Chuu2 is getting votes. It deserves them and some more. It's a good show that manages to do what few KyoAni shows have done for me - connecting on an emotional level. I do not have a single iota of give a fuck to give to the cast of Tamako Market. Fluffy shit without having any resemblance of a point is just not interesting. Chuu2 manages to strike an emotional chord, a recollection of adolescence and the trials and tribulations that comes with being a young adult of that age.

OceanBlue

I haven't heard any of Azusa's songs thus far (I don't think Smoky Thrill counts), so I can't make that call just yet, but Aoi Tori is miles ahead of any of the other inserts I've heard in this show.

Yeah, the music in iDOLM@STER isn't that great. I love them because I like the franchise though.

Well, you can always listen to the two sing the same song and decide for yourself which is the better singer! Some people think that Takahashi Chiaki doesn't have enough volume in her songs. To me, she seems like she has more experience as a singer and it shows. I wouldn't be surprised if you disagreed with me though, lol.
Takahashi Chiaki (Azusa): LOST
Imai Asami (Chihaya): LOST

Edit: For Cajun, Hanazawa Kana also sings the song since she's in 876 Pro.
Hanazawa Kana (Eri): LOST

Branduil

Yep thank based Gromph.

Seriously glad Chuu2 is getting votes. It deserves them and some more. It's a good show that manages to do what few KyoAni shows have done for me - connecting on an emotional level. I do not have a single of iota of fuck to give to the cast of Tamako Market. Fluffy shit without having any resemblance of a point is just not interesting. Chuu2 manages to strike an emotional chord, a recollection of adolescence and the trials and tribulations that comes with being a young adult of that age.

It'd be pretty bad if you didn't respond to Chuunibyou with some kind of emotion, considering how ridiculously hard it tries to evoke them. I guess your response depends on your tolerance for sappy melodrama. I didn't actually actively dislike the show until the last episode Spiderman 3'd it.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 43

folktales43.jpg

These two must have a pretty interesting family considering they're brothers and all.

Please discuss any preliminary AOTY results over PM.
I don't mind people counting things up ahead of time, but I'd rather it not be out in the open.
How is publicly available info not out in the open?

Articalys

How is publicly available info not out in the open?
The votes all are, sure, but a summation of the numbers isn't; anyone can take a quick glance over the voting thread and probably get the gist of where things are, I'm just asking that if someone wants to count it all up for themselves ahead of time, that's fine, but I'd like them to not post those exact numbers/standings publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom