• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

So how did you hear about the anime threads?

I don't remember, I only remember that I lurked these a bit and liked the style of most posters and the fact that there's a wide range of tastes. I think I ended up here because someone posted a link regarding those rumours about Mushishi S2.

Syrinx

I think I need to reevaluate my anime viewing habits.

Lately, with both K-ON! and Ah! My Goddess, I've just lost the desire to watch the show. With the latter especially I turned on the third-to-last episode tonight, and I just stopped halfway through. I just didn't want to watch it anymore. It isn't because it's bad (yes, yes, Regulus Tera and Envelope, it is bad, har har har), but...the interest is waning. I enjoyed the hell out of the show, but now I'm so close to the end...and I just can't bring myself to watch it.

I definitely think I need to change how I do this. I've feared spreading myself too thin in the past, but I think taking more onto my plate may actually be the answer. Maybe I need more balance among what I'm watching. Maybe I should stop watching shows in clusters.

Anybody else here ever encounter a problem like this? How did you deal with it?

Hakuoki: Record of the Jade Blood ep 13 (eng dub)

Continuing the numbering from season one was confusing while giving it a subtitle. But anyway right off from where the first ended. Liked seeing all my favorites again awkward pronounciation and all. She says the honorifics so hard.

I think its odd
how theyve all taken the stuff to become fury's essentially and more that her blood could hold a secret to it

Western style clothing looks great on them, hope they where it all season.

OceanBlue

I'm not the only one with Strike Witches on their list?

Some kind of hug is in order.

internet_high_five-2496.jpg

Lol, are we really the only two who voted for Strike Witches? What a shame.

Lately, with both K-ON! and Ah! My Goddess, I've just lost the desire to watch the show. With the latter especially I turned on the third-to-last episode tonight, and I just stopped halfway through. I just didn't want to watch it anymore. It isn't because it's bad (yes, yes, Regulus Tera and Envelope, it is bad, har har har), but...the interest is waning. I enjoyed the hell out of the show, but now I'm so close to the end...and I just can't bring myself to watch it.

I definitely think I need to change how I do this. I've feared spreading myself too thin in the past, but I think taking more onto my plate may actually be the answer. Maybe I need more balance among what I'm watching. Maybe I should stop watching shows in clusters.

I have the same problem. As I've said before, I'm six episodes away from finishing four shows this year :(. It even applies to games and books. I haven't figured out a way to deal with it yet.

It sounds like you're watching too much at once. With me it's just that, for some reason, I never feel like putting the effort to do things. When I get behind on something either due to a busy schedule or just laziness, it feels like it'll take more effort and it becomes harder to push myself to finish it.

Ack, I just realized I made this post more about myself than your question. Sorry, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maria - sama is better no doubt ...better characters and story.
Maria holic however has better comedy.

Edited m original post because some parts were missing
Well... MariMite isn't a comedy!
You could maybe argue that for Maria Holic too
. :p

Haha, I bet you like Strawberry Panic then, eh?
Fuck that show.
lol

Still better than Maria Holic
Alive
htough.

(And I say this as the biggest Kobayashi fan here!)

Mitsuho

Banned
So it's...not...generic enough?

There is nothing generic about Strawberry Panic! Anime doesn't reduce to sempai/kohai, although Japanese (and sometimes Korean) cultural encoding is hard to avoid. Tonikaku, Dennou Coil is a very good series but it's not known for it's attitude toward love.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Psycho Pass 12

Time to catch up! Great episode, really have been enjoying this show a ton since around ep 7 or so.

Dat Yayoi. This is a total :sdburton episode and a really interesting and enjoyable one at that. Nice focus on a side character. I also really like how the show doesn't try to glorify
Sasayama
, hes just there as part of the episode and honestly comes across as a rash decision maker of sorts which makes a lot of sense given the current status.

One of the intresting motifs in this show is how the Sibyl system is strongly against the concept of self-expression and obviously
art
is one of the more prevalent ones in general and in this show itself, so the overlying theme of the episode was neat. Reminds me of a certain idol show!

Speaking of music, new OP song is great. ED song not so much.

cajunator

Banned

Its just burnout.
Why do you think it takes me half a year to finish anything?
Not every show lends itself to a marathon.
Most do not.

i seem to marathon shows with a strong story, great flow, continuity, big cliffhangers, and a premise that I am extremely interested to see to completion.
Examples I managed to marathon:

haibane Renmei, Kinos Journey, Saikano, Fate Stay Night, Welcome to the NHK, Last Exile, Kiddy Grade, Shangri La, Madoka Magica, Mai Hime, Chrno Crusade, Midori Days, Death Note, Kiddy Grade, Elemental Gelade, Noir

Not everything is a continuous story, but it definitely helps to hold my interest.

what is wrong with strawberry panic ?

i enjoyed it.
The side characters were more intresting than the main characters but it was still intresting.
I liked Strawberry Panic.
Even the name sounds yuri and fun.
i think Envelope recommended it.

Ultimadrago

The iDOLM@STER 1

Hey, that wasn't bad.

Too early for me to make rankings unfortunately, but I know who won't be ranking favorably: Chihaya (seems pretty lame) and Yayoi (that terrible voice, my poor ears).

cajunator

Banned
The iDOLM@STER 1

Hey, that wasn't bad.

Too early for me to make rankings unfortunately, but I know who won't be ranking favorably: Chihaya(seems pretty lame) and Yayoi (that terrible voice, my poor ears).

I like Yayoi's little voice tic. It reminds me of the sound my Nikon camera makes when it adjusts the lens focus.

Kagami

Spoiler of a spoiler. Ban.

I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

Well, dude in Kotoura-san declares his love in episode 2. Guy does not fuck around. lol

Between OreShura, Haganai, Seitokai no Ichizon, and Pet Girl though, these jackasses need to die. There has to be a way to set up a "herpderp we can't have sex because that would ruin the manga" premise without relying on a guy who is dense (willfully or not).

As of season 2, episode 2, Haganai actually doesn't really suffer from that problem, because everybody's still trying to figure out friendship, much less romance. The only one who's sort of gone for it is Rika with a couple of lewd propositions in front of everyone but her behavior is weird enough that it's understandable for Kodaka to turn her down. Instead the show's been about the girls interacting with each other more than Kodaka.

...But my understanding is the novels do eventually go in the direction of what you're complaining about (I don't like it either) and we may be about to hit that point in the anime now. That's one thing that has me worried about not liking season 2 as much as season 1.

trejo

Tamako Market 3

The bird's role this time was reduced to being a simple plot device to get the new girl acquainted with Tamako and the folks at the shopping district, who by the way all give me this weird feeling of being NPCs in an RPG town, always repeating their same scripted lines to anyone who would listen day in and day out. Forever.

The show still feels aimless and scatterbrained, more concerned with being all fluffy and dainty than with having any sort of point. It feels much like K-On in that regard and it's still something I have a difficult time being absorbed in.

It's so darn pretty though.

What does show in the genre is better than it? Utena doesn't work the kohai/sempai angle.

What genre are we talking about here? In any case, the answer would be all of them.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Haven't seen:
Maria Holic
Maria-sama ga Miteru

Watch both. Maria-sama is definitely better than Maria Holic. I wished you joined sooner that way you could've gotten in on the RightStuf holiday deals they had for both series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you even thought I was going to say different I'm going to smack you.
Narag certainly did. lol

As of season 2, episode 2, Haganai actually doesn't really suffer from that problem, because everybody's still trying to figure out friendship, much less romance. The only one who's sort of gone for it is Rika with a couple of lewd propositions in front of everyone but her behavior is weird enough that it's understandable for Kodaka to turn her down. Instead the show's been about the girls interacting with each other more than Kodaka.

...But my understanding is the novels do eventually go in the direction of what you're complaining about (I don't like it either) and we may be about to hit that point in the anime now. That's one thing that has me worried about not liking season 2 as much as season 1.
Going from the anime along, it's clear that they are all his haremites. Probably the only ones that don't count are the two loli characters, but you have everyone freak out when dude says that Rika is his perfect woman. Whether or not he understands their jealousy is another question entirely I suppose, but either way, he isn't any better than the other leads this season...

Syrinx

Its just burnout.
Why do you think it takes me half a year to finish anything?
Not every show lends itself to a marathon.
Most do not.

i seem to marathon shows with a strong story, great flow, continuity, big cliffhangers, and a premise that I am extremely interested to see to completion.
Examples I managed to marathon:

haibane Renmei, Kinos Journey, Saikano, Fate Stay Night, Welcome to the NHK, Last Exile, Kiddy Grade, Shangri La, Madoka Magica, Mai Hime, Chrno Crusade, Midori Days, Death Note, Kiddy Grade, Elemental Gelade, Noir

Not everything is a continuous story, but it definitely helps to hold my interest.

I've found myself wondering if I should just order the next two sagas of Utena, but then I think of these burnouts, and I wonder if I should. Granted, Utena is a COMPLETELY different beast than these other two (has more in common with Sailor Moon, which I did marathon; guess we have differing marathoning philosophies, lol), but it still makes me fairly hesitant.

I think what I need to do is stop approaching watching shows in my backlog in such by saying "I shouldn't start x until I finish y or z", because I think that makes me go through those faster than I should. I should be willing to put one aside sometimes and feel free to actually start watching what I want to watch.

I can't remember where I heard this, but apparently:

(Spoilers maybe? I don't even know)

He is fully aware that everyone in the club wants to smang him. He just doesn't want to ruin the status-quo by choosing, so he decides to string them all along by pretending to be ignorant. Rika is the first one to figure this out.

Interesting...

I don't think that's too awful though. Shit like that causes drama, so sticking with the status quo willingly is definitely above the legitimately oblivious harem protags.

Space Brothers Ep 42
HIBITO YOU IDIOT!!! Stop running you're running out of air. Sit on Gibson.
NO DON'T DO THAT TO YOUR LAST FLARE!. No. Stop, what are you doing... NOOO
Hibito You Big Idiot! what have you done!

wonzo

Banned
I want you to know just how much fun I had guessing what exactly would await me behind this link as it was loading. Since it's Japan and all the possibilities were fairly endless and more than a little terrifying.
I aim to please.

Is there anything good to watch on crunchy this season? You people all know what I like. Maybe. I think. If nothing else I was going to jusr go for AKB and Chihayafururu seasons 2.
Other than AKB, Chihayafuru and Polar Bear Cafe, you could check out Encouragement Of Climb , Ai-Mai-Mi, Kotoura-san and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha though YMMV on the later three.

fake edit: oh yeah i forgot that crunchyroll also has ~little busters~ now

Added to the backlog. Thank you for your input.

Honestly, it might not really be what you're looking for. It's an action magical girl/idol series with a bit of shoujo ai, but that's not the selling point. The selling point is badassery, hotbloodedness, and just a dash of despair.

cajunator

Banned
I've found myself wondering if I should just order the next two sagas of Utena, but then I think of these burnouts, and I wonder if I should. Granted, Utena is a COMPLETELY different beast than these other two (has more in common with Sailor Moon, which I did marathon; guess we have differing marathoning philosophies, lol), but it still makes me fairly hesitant.

I think what I need to do is stop approaching watching shows in my backlog in such by saying "I shouldn't start x until I finish y or z", because I think that makes me go through those faster than I should. I should be willing to put one aside sometimes and feel free to actually start watching what I want to watch.

Go ahead and order it. The whole point of that is being able to watch it later.
i have a couple hundred shows on my shelves in my room. Do you think I marathon all of it? Very few actually.
When I marathon lately it is at my friends place. He is about the only person in town aside from my roommates who will watch anime with others.
With shows like K-on, Hidamari, Azudai, Acchi kocchi, joshiraku, etc I space episodes out to avoid burnout. Even the cutest, most enjoyable show will grow tiresome if you overdo it.

OceanBlue

Now you guys are making me feel bad...

Haha, I'm just messing with you. I love Yayoi, but I know her voice isn't for everyone and not everyone likes her mannerisms. I love family characters (Ui in K-On is one of my favorites too) and uplifting, positive attitudes, so Yayoi's almost perfect for me. Plus, I think her mannerisms are adorable. I like Haruka too, so I guess I have a thing for genki idols.

cajunator

Banned
I love the bushy twintails hairstyle that Yayoi has. Its so damned adorable.
i have no problem with her, although she is around mid pack on the tier list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom