• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

I think I'll re-watch Arakawa Under Bridge for some SHAFT fix. I really can't take it.

And yes, they are saviors of the industry.

cajunator

Banned
I think I'll re-watch Arakawa Under Bridge for some SHAFT fix. I really can't take it.

And yes, they are saviors of the industry.

Saleswise they have definitely earned a lot of money lately.
More importantly, they typically pick really interesting and fun subject matter for shows.

faridmon

Saleswise they have definitely earned a lot of money lately.
More importantly, they typically pick really interesting and fun subject matter for shows.

Yeah, they do seem to pick up works that revolve around their trademark of wittiness and faux-skits story cloisters. Never mentioned that head tilting is compatible with every project they pick up.

Because of them I went to length of buying the Sayonara Zetsubo Zensei Manga even though I know the stories because of the Anime.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hataraki Man 7

Lzi9zrO.jpg

After an infuriating episode, we get a depressing episode. "Work sucks. You can never get all you want. Deal with it."

Geez.

I wonder if Hiro is even developing as a character. Every episode gets its own "closure moment", but nothing has really changed. Her boyfriend's still late/cancels dates all the time, she still has lots of problems with her proposals, she keeps getting caught up in the smallest details in a way that doing her job becomes a hardship...

Ixion Saga DT 19
tumblr_mifb78vlVf1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mifb9t9HnI1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Pretty funny episode even if it felt kind of like advertising for the character album. Definitely want Variations song in full, and really enjoyed Kon's song during the ED. Incognito's room was definitely the best of the bunch though, loved every moment with them all. Variation so good.

/XX/

Are there any happy Anno pics?
Nope! :-D

But really now, there are (and even more recent ones)... although it most of the times comes as a half-smug smile (and 'Smug Hideaki Anno' is 'Best Anno', in my opinion) more than a happiness one. Being genuinely happy is going on a trip to the Sahara Desert along Daddy Miya (that and his own wedding, I suppose):

宮崎駿 庵野秀明 対談 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa36Wq3BL7k

For anyone looking for the thread in question, to save you time:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513938
Why is flawfuls always so right? Fireball fits the bill and it is amazing!

Well, we can count the CAPTAIN ANIMATE 10th ANNIVERSARY Anime Tenchō × Tōhō project as one... although we don't know if we will ever see it outside screening events and theaters (http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39483985&postcount=3061).

Katsuratama - 01

Why so short? T___T
It could be at least 1 month.

Gintama - 112

Tama is back.
Great scene in the host club, poor Gintoki.
"engagement screw"
Tama
surrounded by those kids was so cute.
:)
Tama 3.

Kite

LotGH - So.. Yang Wenli is the superior version of Captain Tylor, and the Prussian Admiral Blondie is too damn perfect (so far), only downside is his slightly creepy fascination with his sister (or maybe I've watched too much anime and am reading too much into it). Anyhow this anime is fucking fantastic, space opera at its best.

Steins;Gate 13 - 25 (end) (dubwatch Rewatch)

Excellent dub, really. Still hated the whole final arc. I think even upon rewatches all the emotional moments are really well done, especially with Shining Finger episode felt the most intense and such dubbed, and her voice, so believably into the role for that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
LotGH - So.. Yang Wenli is the superior version of Captain Tylor, and the Prussian Admiral Blondie is too damn perfect (so far), only downside is his slightly creepy fascination with his sister (or maybe I've watched too much anime and am reading too much into it). Anyhow this anime is fucking fantastic, space opera at its best.
Reinhard von Lohengramm for you, you pleb.

Senran Kagura 6
qyx4pIi.jpg

senrankagurabuttbumping.gif
The moral of this episode is, "You tried your best, and you failed misserably. The lesson is, never try."
So the main girls get their asses spanked, with only Ikaruga and Asuka still standing at the end of it all. Though I guess Yagyuu was able to beat her first opponent with relative ease. Still she ended up getting admitted into a ninja hospital. No I'm not making that up.
Is it just me or does Hikage seem to be more dressed when she's in her swim suit?
They sure went all out with the fight with Asuka and Homura, even if the bulk of the episode revolved around Yagyuu and her relationship with Hibiki. Very fun episode with all things considered.
Next up, training arc!

Mature

Senran Kagura 6

The moral of this episode is, "You tried your best, and you failed misserably. The lesson is, never try."
So the main girls get their asses spanked, with only Ikaruga and Asuka still standing at the end of it all. Though I guess Yagyuu was able to beat her first opponent with relative ease. Still she ended up getting admitted into a ninja hospital. No I'm not making that up.
Is it just me or does Hikage seem to be more dressed when she's in her swim suit?
They sure went all out with the fight with Asuka and Homura, even if the bulk of the episode revolved around Yagyuu and her relationship with Hibiki. Very fun episode with all things considered.
Next up, training arc!
How is this even real?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think HXH is superior. Yyh was really good until the ending and ending arc and the art in the manga really starts to drop in quality fast, like he got lazy all of a sudden. Though hxh has art issues too :(

It has art issues too? If you saw any of his stuff recently because you got into the new show, you might have seen the revised Tankoubon releases. If you saw what was being released in Shonen Jump you wouldn't say Hunter x Hunter has art issues too as though the two are comparable.

During the Chimera Arc Togashi was releasing chapters that were just straight up doodles.

Shergal

Doraemon: Nobita's Dinosaur (Some spoilers ahead)

sdinosaurmovie200694fcc.jpg

Once every blue moon or so, a franchise movie appears that's also watchable as a stand-alone movie due to sheer quality. I believe this to be the case with Nobita's Dinosaur.

Ayumu Watanabe is a great director, I loved his take on the franchise. The movie is not very Doraemon-like on a surface level (at least, comparing to what I had seen as a kid on TV), but it manages to capture its essence with a completely different approach that's much more interesting and enjoyable in my books.

First of all, the animation for the whole thing is INSANE. The character designs are really sketchy, giving room to some very good expressive acting and enjoyable movement overall, and they are also really simple, which goes a long way to the huge consistency of the animation. A lot of the times, the narrative will take a sidestep to the visual rollercoaster that is taking place on the screen. I'd say the film thrives on its animation, but that would be dismissing the slick directing and storyboarding that are able to elevate the silly atmosphere from the TV show to the scope and tone required by a movie in an amazing way.

The film can be roughly divided in three parts, and I'll talk separately about each one of them.

The first segment is set in the usual urban setting, and its job is presenting the characters and premise. Even if you have never watched any Doraemon, the movie eases you in into the characters' personalities since the very beginning with the scene at Suneo's house.

What I really like about these characters is that they're realistically flawed (well, except for Shizuka): Suneo is a spoiled rich kid who will always want to show off, Gian is a lot of the time a dumb jerk, and Nobita is totally self-centered and bratty in his own way. They're really annoying as single characters, and that is what makes the dynamic between all of them so entertaining. Doraemon is mostly the voice of reason and a plot device, but he has some nice bits in the movie too.

This first part, as it focuses on the everyday world, has a lot of naturalistic imagery and transitions that help establish the atmosphere and setting. Every image is really detailed and carefully framed, it shows that a lot of effort went into them.

Some time ago people were talking about Mochizou's room from Tamako Market not being very boy-like, and I immediately thought of that discussion when I saw how chaotic and messy Nobita's room is. In this case, I think it really shows what type of kid he is.

So Nobita says things without really minding them, and one thing leading to the other, he finds himself with a dinosaur egg. Using some of Doraemon's magic gadgets, he manages to turn the egg fossil into a real dinosaur egg, and a little baby ends up being born. The scene of the egg hatching had a lot of very obvious imagery but I thought it was nice either way.

HHHNNNGGGGGG

I'm a sucker for playful scenes, and they're featured extensively between Nobita and new pet Piisuke. They really bring the good side of his character to foreground.

So, plot progresses, some shit hits the fan and we're thrown in to the second part of the movie, which is without doubt its highlight.
Nobita and all the gang are thrown into a classic dinosaur adventure setting, and for the next ~30 minutes we accompany them as they have wacky, heartwarming, dangerous hijinks. A lot of these parts make the animation shine, I particularly liked the part when they all get out of the sand before the sun rises, and later, the part when the T-rex attacks the Brontosaurs. Some shots are really accomplished and difficult to create technically, and nevertheless are approached in a really daring way, highlighting lines and having very rough and expressive drawings. Great stuff overall.

Even though this part is mostly carried by that adventurous feeling and the visuals, it doesn't forget its characters and exploits the situation as a way to make them bond.

I watched Land Before Time a lot when I was little, and the dinosaur segment of Fantasia (1940) was always among my favorites, so the thorough focus that went into the dinosaurs and their depictions made the dino-nerd inside me happy. If anyone shares this interest, YOU NEED to check this movie out. Actually scrap that, everyone should watch this amazing film.

The third part was my least favorite, because it mostly dealt with the antagonists and I couldn't give a fuck about any of them, but it had great moments like the conversation between the two guys which was very nicely framed, or the scenes with the kids in the cage and the T-Rex near the end. Some instances of character development occurred here, particularly with Suneo.

That discussion they had was extremely interesting in how organically it flowed. The characters were all talking on top of each other! such a rare sight, and it worked perfectly too thanks to the good script and the expressive acting animation.

Another remarkable thing was the score. It felt very "dinosaur movie"-like, I don't know how to put it. But it certainly gave that adventurous, romantic feel, although I think at some instances it was kind of overplayed, but it never reached the point of being truly cheesy.

So, this film is fantastic, and I recommend it to everyone as you don't need to be familiar at all with Doraemon (just know that a robot cat from the future has magic gadgets and that anything goes), and such well-made adventure films are hard to come by. Props to everyone involved in the production!

Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun 07

ehZuRGdl.jpg

Nice conclusion to this story. Rather didn't expect the way the story went which was a welcomed surprise. Though the main character really isn't putting up a good showing here, struggling in a sword fight and didn't do much in the negotiations either. Looks like next week we'll finally see the last pretty boy of the show.

Lain

Psycho-Pass 17

Not too bad. The revelation about the Sibyl System was in line with what the previous episode made me think about, though this was on a bigger scale (and a bit sillier) than I imagined.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Smile Precure 06-07:

In Episode 06 we meet Candy's more capable brother who's got a weakness to being called "Cool!"

Episode 07 we get the Secret Base (smirk). I liked Reika's idea best. ;P

Also, I can't get over just how fucking goofy Akanbe always looks. It's just... goofy.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Senran Kagura 6

Next up, training arc!

The fact that the blond girl never shows her nipples is the most amazing case of plot armor ever.

THE UNLIMITED 07

Eh, lots of talking, not enough espers wrecking shit. Being flashback city didn't really help either and I'm just not interested enough in this plot to really care. At least next week looks like an aviation battle.

And, yet another new ED?

THE UNLIMITED 07

Eh, lots of talking, not enough espers wrecking shit. Being flashback city didn't really help either and I'm just not interested enough in this plot to really care. At least next week looks like an aviation battle.

And, yet another new ED?

Are they the different characters singing a song each time for the ED, I think this anime is also getting a character song album?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watching like 5 episodes of Joshiraku in a short amount of time, I'm just wondering... what was the point of the middle acts where the girls went to some random location in Tokyo/Japan? Was that meant to be a comment on the nature of those types of pseudo-travel documentaries or something?

Jex

Watching like 5 episodes of Joshiraku in a short amount of time, I'm just wondering... what was the point of the middle acts where the girls went to some random location in Tokyo/Japan? Was that meant to be a comment on the nature of those types of pseudo-travel documentaries or something?

Hey, you might need to know that information for your own travels!

I don't actually know what the purpose of those segments are. They aren't particularly skit based or even humour based. Joshiraku is a weird show in many respects.

Syrinx

Heh, that Kotoura-san thread just won't die, will it? Though it has become more reasonable discussion now that most of the "anime sux and anime fans sux" posts have stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom