• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaEpyon

Watching like 5 episodes of Joshiraku in a short amount of time, I'm just wondering... what was the point of the middle acts where the girls went to some random location in Tokyo/Japan? Was that meant to be a comment on the nature of those types of pseudo-travel documentaries or something?

Clearly it's so that the viewers can appreciate how cute the girls are... in slightly different, ordinary contexts.

Dresden

Theoretically possible but there's too many pages in this thread to casually wade through them for news. I'd imagine he got the news wherever Dresden did. Tell us all your secrets, Dresden!

I'm a crunchyroll mole.

In the spirit of the discussion below, a crunchymole.

Watching like 5 episodes of Joshiraku in a short amount of time, I'm just wondering... what was the point of the middle acts where the girls went to some random location in Tokyo/Japan? Was that meant to be a comment on the nature of those types of pseudo-travel documentaries or something?

I think it's just an excuse to get the girls out of the room occasionally.

cajunator

Banned
Smile Precure 06-07:

In Episode 06 we meet Candy's more capable brother who's got a weakness to being called "Cool!"

Episode 07 we get the Secret Base (smirk). I liked Reika's idea best. ;P

Also, I can't get over just how fucking goofy Akanbe always looks. It's just... goofy.

Yeah Akanbe is easily the shittiest precure monster designs.

I happened this morning. Took a while for it to come back on, but it's all good now, watched a couple Precures. :)

This ALWAYS seems to help. I will be sad when I finish FWP and its over. Its so charming.

Heh, that Kotoura-san thread just won't die, will it? Though it has become more reasonable discussion now that most of the "anime sux and anime fans sux" posts have stopped.

If you stand your ground the discussion inevitably becomes "so what recent shows do you recommend?" and then all returns to normal. Its like fighting a monster of the day mepo~

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Smile Precure 08:

In this episode, we see that Li and Kero-chan's souls have been switched with their bodies due to the effects of The Change card and...

... oh wait, this is Precure, my bad. So it's Candy and Miyuki who've changed bodies. The way Candy decided to prove she was in Miyuki's body was rather amusing with the whole wiggling ears bit. ^^;

Yeah Akanbe is easily the shittiest precure monster designs.

Yeah, it's really dumb. >>;

Jex

Heh, that Kotoura-san thread just won't die, will it? Though it has become more reasonable discussion now that most of the "anime sux and anime fans sux" posts have stopped.

If it's not going to die it may as well become a useful tool rather than just another stain on Off-Topic.

Theonik

I posted this pic on IRC but might as well as show-off post them here too!
iJUWQ3DX1nhCu.png
Watched Kiki, will post impressions and BD screens later.

Doraemon: Nobita's Dinosaur (Some spoilers ahead)

sdinosaurmovie200694fcc.jpg

So, this film is fantastic, and I recommend it to everyone as you don't need to be familiar at all with Doraemon (just know that a robot cat from the future has magic gadgets and that anything goes), and such well-made adventure films are hard to come by. Props to everyone involved in the production!

Doraemon films are great, they always have this great sense of adventure. If you haven't watched it yet, watch Doraemon: Nobita and the New Steel Troops - Winged Angels, great story, great animation and it has mecha as well!

This ALWAYS seems to help. I will be sad when I finish FWP and its over. Its so charming.
Futari wa is the only PreCure I watched all of. I tried out a couple more but found them too cutesy, I guess. Futari wa was really enjoyable, though. =D Even if I got pretty strong Sakura/Tomoyo vibes from them at first.

It is so you can notice the girls wearing different clothing every episode.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've started reading the Shingeki no Kyojin manga earlier today and, well, the anime adaptation will definitely be one of AnimeGAF's most discussed shows next season.

Shit's depressing as hell.

wonzo

Banned
I posted this pic on IRC but might as well as show-off post them here too!

Watched Kiki, will post impressions and BD screens later.
Good taste.

Hataraki Man 7

I've already commented a few times on the more obvious forms of sponsorship in this show, like the frequent appearance of Tsutaya or those energy gel drinks. We've also speculated on the heavy use of Sambomaster in the show. But this episode takes it to another level.

I mean, think about the main conflict in this episode. Hiroko is annoyed by the article she has to write about encouraging tourism to Yakushima. Not because there's anything wrong with the place, you understand. It's because a frivolous advertorial like that doesn't show enough respect for the importance and natural beauty of the site.

I mean, this is her tortuous dilemma? No wonder it was hard to get invested in this episode. It's like the only bad thing about Yakushima is that it's just too good. Then we get some filtered photos of the place mixed in with some generic anime landscapes so we can see the "natural beauty" for ourselves. This whole episode was probably paid for by the Yakushima tourist board.

Yeah, the whole dilemma just felt incredibly dumb and hard to take seriously. Fortunately the show gave a fair bit of time to the masseuse so it wasn't all in vain. Sponsorship stuff's pretty funny tho.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey, you might need to know that information for your own travels!

I don't actually know what the purpose of those segments are. They aren't particularly skit based or even humour based. Joshiraku is a weird show in many respects.
It really is classic observation humour... but it's not even that mean spirited. Like, the segment in the last episode about Akiba was just... hey, let's talk about all the weird eating options and the fact that cops will bug you if you look weird because of that crazy guy from a few years ago.

It is so you can notice the girls wearing different clothing every episode.

Clearly it's so that the viewers can appreciate how cute the girls are... in slightly different, ordinary contexts.

I think it's just an excuse to get the girls out of the room occasionally.

Oh this. :p

Kurita

I've started reading the Shingeki no Kyojin manga earlier today and, well, the anime adaptation will definitely be one of AnimeGAF's most discussed shows next season.

Shit's depressing as hell.

Did you like it?
Definitely one of my fav mangas atm.

cajunator

Banned
Futari wa is the only PreCure I watched all of. I tried out a couple more but found them too cutesy, I guess. Futari wa was really enjoyable, though. =D Even if I got pretty strong Sakura/Tomoyo vibes from them at first.

Futari Wa Precure is REALLY cute but I think I know what you mean. Only that overbearing cuteness is what I am after to begin with XD
But yeah the Precure universe is a comfortable and fun place to lose yourself in. I love magical girls shows. Always so optimistic and colorful and cute. A good contrast to the cold darkness that reality sometimes presents.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Smile Precure 09:

Yayoi, that was a pretty ill thought-out April Fools joke. But it all ended happy so medetashi medetashi!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
iRUCvGAsCmwkU.gif

314 frames and not a gazillion MBs.

And now to watch tonight episode and spend the rest of the evening giffing it....

EDIT: Typical. Double check it lots and I still notice a mistake after posting. This is what happens when you work on the same thing for too long.

Futari Wa Precure is REALLY cute but I think I know what you mean. Only that overbearing cuteness is what I am after to begin with XD
But yeah the Precure universe is a comfortable and fun place to lose yourself in. I love magical girls shows. Always so optimistic and colorful and cute. A good contrast to the cold darkness that reality sometimes presents.
I like cute, don't get me wrong. CCS is my favorite show. I just find some of the other precures to be... Maybe cutesy is the wrong word? Too much fluff with not enough substance, or too much of the same thing. Kind of hard to explain.

Jex

Those covers are just a mess, way too much going on. The others are so striking because of the simplicity. Thus:

Japan > Europe > NA.

I don't necessarily triumph simplicity in graphical design and illustration but in this case I have to agree that they make the best covers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't necessarily triumph simplicity in graphical design and illustration but in this case I have to agree that they make the best covers.
If they wanted to tap into the OCD market, not only would the covers be simple, but you could line them all up together to make a giant Ghibli-esque image.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 20

This episode was pretty cool.
It had two Honoka's. that makes it twice as good as the other Precure episodes! :D
Of course, you can probably deduce that one of them was a fake impostor and indeed you would be right. It was
Poisony. She tried to disguise herself to gain posession of Nagisa's prism stone. Nagisa recognizes the real Honoka and they flee. Poisony has one last stand but the Precure outsmart her and manage to defeat her for good, gaining one more prism stone.
. Who's next?

Articalys

Unusually low amount of posts this morning for the new thread, it seems. Guess everyone's having a slow Monday.
Well, you guys were posting slowly, but then as I was writing this up there was an explosion of posts. Well, whatever.

These tweets are from a few days ago, hence the wording in the first one:
@hosodamamoru said:
@hosodamamoru said:
Also, 3.33 BD in April, huh? Damn fast in comparison to the others.

Metrotab

Banned
Hataraki Man - 7

I somehow feel there was this deeper underlying message to this episode, and yet I managed to miss it. Something about not worrying about past decisions? Don't think, just keep going forward?

I liked the masseuse's dilemma between maximising profit and giving her clientele the best experience.

Unusually low amount of posts this morning for the new thread, it seems. Guess everyone's having a slow Monday.
Well, you guys were posting slowly, but then as I was writing this up there was an explosion of posts. Well, whatever.

These tweets are from a few days ago, hence the wording in the second one:

Hosoda's dog is really cute. If that is, infact, his dog.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

These tweets are from a few days ago, hence the wording in the second one:

Also, 3.33 BD in April, huh? Damn fast in comparison to the others.

Mine can't get here soon enough.

Did you like it?
Definitely one of my fav mangas atm.

Definitely liking it. I have no idea where it's headed, though.
I mean, there's no sign of hope for the characters or mankind yet.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I like the look of the NA versions actually. Ive gotten used to them.

Disney BD covers are universally terrible because of how much they pimp themselves out and take up cover real estate in the process. It's usually like:

DISNEY presents
a Studio Ghibli Movie
by DISNEY
DISNEY combo-pack including DISNEY Blu-Ray + DISNEY DVD + DISNEY Digital Copy + DISNEY 3D Blu-Ray + DISNEY Laserdisc + DISNEY Disneyscope
featuring DISNEY voices by Miley Cyrus, Zack Galifianakis, Nicki Minaj, Sam Worthington, and Criss Angel Mindfreak

---------

and box art begins here, probably with a ROTTEN TOMATOES: CERTIFIED FRESH sticker somewhere.

Theonik

If they wanted to tap into the OCD market, not only would the covers be simple, but you could line them all up together to make a giant Ghibli-esque image.
Actually...
(not my pic)
Notice how each release has a colour. Gotta catch em' all.

Doesn't look bad once you remove the stickers.
They are the really horrible residue leaving kind. But even without them, blue borders around shiny blue and gold borders then letters of varying sizes everywhere, taking up a ton of the real-estate. Spines are equally offensive. Meanwhile class

cajunator

Banned
Ehh. It doesnt bother me. Its just a slip cover.
Not like its an artbox or anything so I dont expect much from it.
I "display" them on the spine side anyway so all you see is the gold part and not the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom