• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Girls und Panzer 10.5
Recap episode but whatever, felt like GuP. This one does answer a lot of the questions people have had about the show too. Like the reason why all the tanks used are quite old, what is meant by live rounds being safe and all sorts of stuff! Can't wait for the next episode.

Metrotab

Banned
Windy Tales - 8

What else can I say? This is once again a masterfully crafted episode. The tale of old and new romance was mixed beautifully together with the one about memories.

Great stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 48

The power of Hope, Love, Light, and Cuteness vs the Furious Hate and Absolute Evil All Encompassing Darkness.
IT ENDS RIGHT HERE MOTHERFUCKERS. LET'S DO THIS SHIT!

Cats are cute.

iCnHd8FaDhqy9.gif

So today , everyone will post gifs of animecats ..because duckroll gave them a legitimate escuse to do so ...

Are catgirls cute , too ?

Pooya

Shinsekai yori - 22

finally getting to see outside of the village and regions around it, interesting to see Tokyo or what's left of it...nothing. though after previous episode it was like everything in the village was destroyed but the people at the temple don't seem to be in a rush, it's like things slowed down a bit? there is probably no war in the village right now anyway without the demon.

the weapon they are after sounds far more deadlier than the demon!

Metrotab

Banned
Nichibros - 6

The part where they were picking up the bits of their cups which had dramatically exploded was so wonderfully absurd.

BluWacky

Looks like it could be related to this older project: http://www.studioanima.co.jp/works/original/-blood-of-fortune/

I haven't watched the PV for this show (Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou) yet, but is it all CG, as Genei no Messiah looked to be? I'm on my phone so can't do links, but the announcement of that show suggested it was some kind of magical detective show with a tarot theme - I dunno whether they've continued with that story or not.

Still, looks... Like a thing.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 49- Fin

That was EXCELLENT.
I can see why this franchise grew so much in popularity with such a strong opening salvo.
This series is quite good in the things that matter in a Mahou Shoujo. It was exciting and cute but had heartfelt moments. It felt genuine. The artwork is all over the place as could be expected with a 49 episode series, but overall it was good. The characters were well developed as you'd expect and by the end I felt like I knew Nagisa and Honoka well. Their hopes and dreams and weaknesses. I was drawn into this world. That's the sign of a great show. Mipple and Mepple ended up not as awful as I thought, and Porun is a fucking awesome little thing, even if he is a little crybaby. but he's supposed to be a child anyway. They even tied it up by showing
Kiriya
alive and well. Anything that makes Honoka happy is fine by me. While this show definitely has the trappings of a typical mahou shoujo, you could tell that the writers at least had a solid direction and kept the show on pace to meet that direction. It never felt like a confused mess. The supporting characters were solid, from classmates to family. The only real problem this show has were itsl imitations due to only having two Precure and that was obviously resolved. If this show is anything to go by, the thought of watching Heartcatch and Smile is incredibly exciting. I think I will skip ahead to one of the team series and leave Splashstar for another time. But I definitely enjoyed the 49 episodes spent with Nagisa and Honoka. What an utterly enjoyable show. Solid 8/10.

Ultimadrago

Vivdred Operation 7

hellyeahiamdyju5.png

It's only why I'm watching anime!

The first thing I have to bring up is the scene with Rei and the bird...again!
The "dark power" demands that Rei goes to school. This whole ordeal must be some elaborate prank her mother and father are playing on her.
Besides that, there was this study session and some :Theonik. And then suddenly, CG Powerpuff Girls! It seems to be the first battle that will take up two weeks. A battle from the start will hopefully get some more nice animation to the forefront!

Metrotab

Banned
OreImo (rewatch) - 13

Oh god, I forgot all about the fujoshi stealing screentime. I don't find her that annoying (mostly because I think her male-shipping is funny) but she does take Kyou*Kuro time away.

fertygo

I haven't watched the PV for this show (Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou) yet, but is it all CG, as Genei no Messiah looked to be? I'm on my phone so can't do links, but the announcement of that show suggested it was some kind of magical detective show with a tarot theme - I dunno whether they've continued with that story or not.

Errr, its look like Touhou ripoff with even more disgusting lolicon design from that trailer

Magi 20
tumblr_miqg0g8OoB1r59wjoo1_250.gif

Ren Hakuryu is definitely fitting in nicely, though still wondering why Alibaba is so focused on him and that hating intent. Surely he doesnt actually harbor such feelings for reals unless the black stuff from that Al-Thamen dude is causing it.

Anyway dungeon crawling is awesome to see in an anime setting, hope its really enthralling and filled with interesting environments and creatures this time.

cajunator

Banned
I forgot, Cajun have you already seen Smile Precure?

About 5 episodes to see what Precure was like. Stopped watching it for whatever reason.
Will definitely pick it back up again. But I have to see what Heartcatch is about. If I loved Futari Wa Precure this much and Heartcatch is supposedly way better I should love it to death.
At least theoretically.

Branduil

From the New World 22

Eh, I didn't have the same problems with this episode as other people did. I was expecting something much worse from the discussion. It's competently storyboarded and directed, and it's obviously a setup episode for the finale.

It was funny seeing Saki hilariously overreact to
seeing some bats
, though. "THIS IS TRULY HELL ON EARTH."

/XX/

So, this made me remember that conversation about EVA using 700 frames and AB! using 11000:
Apparently, Little Witch Academia used 17000 frames for its ~25 min run.

Holy shit, I need it. It'll be glorious.
We have to continue with the hype now! Everyone and their mother related to this TRIGGER project is bringing celebratory illustrations; Shūichi Iseki, Hisao Dendo, Masaru Sakamoto, Takafumi Hori & Shūhei Handa among others showing also their support.

Cuticle Detective Inaba 9
tumblr_mj1i7nfVpR1rn98vpo1_250.gif

So many funny moments as usual, and wow nekkid Inaba. Haruka and Nozaki get along nicely and Yataro/Soumei were fun too. Really this anime always brightens up my Saturday mornings and puts me in a good mood, so glad Crunchyroll got it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
About 5 episodes to see what Precure was like. Stopped watching it for whatever reason.
Will definitely pick it back up again. But I have to see what Heartcatch is about. If I loved Futari Wa Precure this much and Heartcatch is supposedly way better I should love it to death.
At least theoretically.

Ok. I just wanted to make sure cause HeartCatch is the cream of the crop for Precure. I just don't want that to lessen your impression of Smile when you get back to it.

DiGiKerot

Don't get me wrong, I really loved TokiKake and his franchise movies, but this movie was amazing in every respect.

What did you find wrong with it?

I think "landslide" is a bit strong, but Wolf Children is, certainly, my favourite of this movies (though I've not seen his Digimon work).

Ultimadrago

Windy Tales 7

I let two episodes of this good show pass me by for weekly watch. I cannot forgive myself too easily on this. In any case, another solid episode. It was nice to see Taiki again, as I always enjoy his talks between the younger characters. The dialogue simply works and his reservations on certain topics comes off natural as well, not too overt at all (what I'd expect from other anime).

During the eye catches, I noticed that the cats shown were actually named. Were they always? I only recall the creepy black cat. Afterwards Ryoko raises a good point of the gang training their abilities to the fullest regardless of
expectant uses

I thought the event with the three girls was odd, but they got me with the
dream
. Haha The final scene with the
skyball
was really swell. It's very quiet and quite surreal. It attests to the intelligence of the
wind cats
in that way that only erupts pure awe. A feeling some people may have found while checking up Animal Planet or some other study on animals and the impressive methods they create for survival and adaptation.

This show leaves me with a smile every time.

cajunator

Banned
Ok. I just wanted to make sure cause HeartCatch is the cream of the crop for Precure. I just don't want that to lessen your impression of Smile when you get back to it.

Now I always hear that its the best by a landslide, but I'd like to know why. Does it have an amazing story? Are the characters as memorable as the ones from Sailor Moon? What is it?

Fairy Tail 171
tumblr_mj0zy6tNrN1qjyni8o1_500.gif

I do wonder if he could have created a different scenario for battle. Swimsuit/Model contest, and now the swimsuit water sphere battle. I guess Minerva was somewhat decent. Favorite moment was Gray Fullbuster barrel surfing, Natsu too.

Preview:
teases the Sting Natsu fight, but I bet it will be like all the other episode previews, an event that will be like the last 30 seconds of the next episode :/

duckroll

Wolf Children

Hosoda hasn't directed a lot of movies, but he has directed very different types of movies so far. I feel that this is his most honest and open one so far. It is also his most mature work as a filmmaker and a very interesting take on the material he has decided to tackle.

I don't really feel the need to talk too much about the actual contents of the movie much, because I highly recommend that anyone interested should catch the movie at the earliest opportunity to see for themselves what it has to offer. Instead I would like to talk about the themes of the movie and how the director approached them and executed the story into film.

It's a relatively simple story, and probably the most straightforward one Hosoda has told. It is about a young woman who meets a man who is half-wolf, falls in love with him, and they have two kids. Due to various circumstances, she has to bring them up alone after moving to a quiet countryside. The movie is about motherhood, growing up, and children deciding how they want to live their lives.

How Hosoda approaches this material in an extremely direct way. When compared to some of his previous films like his One Piece movie and Tokikake, the most obvious difference here is that he has chosen to completely do away with the heavy handed use of visual metaphors and complex imagery. In doing so, it lacks of the darker and somber touch of those movies, but in exchange he has achieved his highest level of naturalism yet.

Much of the movie is told with extremely sparse use of dialogue, instead opting to use long montages and subtle interaction sequences driven by nothing more than music and the performances of the character animations. This method of direction reminds me most of classic Disney films, where many key moments don't require any scripted dialogue at all, but are communicated entirely by visuals and sound.

In addition to this there is very little dramatic overtones injected into the narrative, instead choosing to present a more honest and natural tale of how children grow up. Yes, the fantasy element of the wolf motif makes it more interesting, but that is as far as it ever goes.

Instead of relying on the traditional aspects of dramatic conclusions to a typical 3 act structure, the movie never quite telegraphs how far it is into the story, or when the narrative is coming to an end. Yet the pacing is far from disappointing, because it is an apt companion to the theme of life and growing up - in a way it never really ends, and how we tell one chapter of that life can just naturally conclude with major events in our lives which might not affect anyone other than ourselves. Things which hold a special meaning, but not necessarily something which everything was building up to.

I found the music, the direction, the art, and the animation impressive, but no single element overwhelms the others. Instead it is how it all comes together which makes the work feel special, because that is how well thought out the presentation is. Another interesting feeling I was left with is that there weren't really any memorable lines in the movie, but tons of memorable scenes. It feels realistic in a way, because real life is rarely filled with quotable quips.

I'll conclude by saying that if Hosoda's One Piece movie was a sign of an angry younger man trying desperately to have his talent noticed (and that is far from a bad thing), then this movie is a milestone showing the world that he has matured into a bold filmmaker who is now able to also tell a simple and direct story, without applying overly artistic film language, and yet lose none of the beauty and elegance of a great movie.

What makes this achievement all the more meaningful is that by telling a story this way, more people can appreciate the message he wants to share, and the appeal is much more universal. I'm not surprised at all that the movie is doing so well in Japan right now. It provides an experience which appeals to those who watch Ghibli films, but yet it is so far from anything Ghibli would ever produce and hence it offers a unique experience which cannot be found anywhere else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's a (perfectly reasonable) belief that if you farm out too much of your talent and train other people too well they'll just be able to completely replace you, which isn't what any studio wants.

Given that people are being paid minimum wage, maybe it's better than it's moved off shore than to have people suffer to make something ultimately so disposable.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If animators start getting paid too little we may have to start tipping them whenever we watch an episode.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Wolf Children

Hosoda hasn't directed a lot of movies, but he has directed very different types of movies so far. I feel that this is his most honest and open one so far. It is also his most mature work as a filmmaker and a very interesting take on the material he has decided to tackle.

I don't really feel the need to talk too much about the actual contents of the movie much, because I highly recommend that anyone interested should catch the movie at the earliest opportunity to see for themselves what it has to offer. Instead I would like to talk about the themes of the movie and how the director approached them and executed the story into film.

It's a relatively simple story, and probably the most straightforward one Hosoda has told. It is about a young woman who meets a man who is half-wolf, falls in love with him, and they have two kids. Due to various circumstances, she has to bring them up alone after moving to a quiet countryside. The movie is about motherhood, growing up, and children deciding how they want to live their lives.

How Hosoda approaches this material in an extremely direct way. When compared to some of his previous films like his One Piece movie and Tokikake, the most obvious difference here is that he has chosen to completely do away with the heavy handed use of visual metaphors and complex imagery. In doing so, it lacks of the darker and somber touch of those movies, but in exchange he has achieved his highest level of naturalism yet.

Much of the movie is told with extremely sparse use of dialogue, instead opting to use long montages and subtle interaction sequences driven by nothing more than music and the performances of the character animations. This method of direction reminds me most of classic Disney films, where many key moments don't require any scripted dialogue at all, but are communicated entirely by visuals and sound.

In addition to this there is very little dramatic overtones injected into the narrative, instead choosing to present a more honest and natural tale of how children grow up. Yes, the fantasy element of the wolf motif makes it more interesting, but that is as far as it ever goes.

Instead of relying on the traditional aspects of dramatic conclusions to a typical 3 act structure, the movie never quite telegraphs how far it is into the story, or when the narrative is coming to an end. Yet the pacing is far from disappointing, because it is an apt companion to the theme of life and growing up - in a way it never really ends, and how we tell one chapter of that life can just naturally conclude with major events in our lives which might not affect anyone other than ourselves. Things which hold a special meaning, but not necessarily something which everything was building up to.

I found the music, the direction, the art, and the animation impressive, but no single element overwhelms the others. Instead it is how it all comes together which makes the work feel special, because that is how well thought out the presentation is. Another interesting feeling I was left with is that there weren't really any memorable lines in the movie, but tons of memorable scenes. It feels realistic in a way, because real life is rarely filled with quotable quips.

I'll conclude by saying that if Hosoda's One Piece movie was a sign of an angry younger man trying desperately to have his talent noticed (and that is far from a bad thing), then this movie is a milestone showing the world that he has matured into a bold filmmaker who is now able to also tell a simple and direct story, without applying overly artistic film language, and yet lose none of the beauty and elegance of a great movie.

What makes this achievement all the more meaningful is that by telling a story this way, more people can appreciate the message he wants to share, and the appeal is much more universal. I'm not surprised at all that the movie is doing so well in Japan right now. It provides an experience which appeals to those who watch Ghibli films, but yet it is so far from anything Ghibli would ever produce and hence it offers a unique experience which cannot be found anywhere else.

Great review - I can't wait to see this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom