• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I mentioned it in my impressions but I was all set for it to go "there" since pretty much all family dorama inevitably goes down the same well worn path. I was pleasantly surprised that Hosoda decided to skip it and chose to go where he did.

Still a lot of feels though.
For one, the
guy whose mother was getting re-married didn't really have any closure. That could have been milked for tears via a painful reunion. Or Yuki leaving her mother for that matter.

The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke 08:

Roman and Unlimited both vastly up their game in the same week? Wow. The animation boost and the presence of some semblance of thoughtful and deliberate direction did great things for what was shaping up to be an otherwise predictable flashback narrative. Kyousuke's not any less of a dick, but now I understand why he's a dick. This show's been a mess but I feel like my patience has been suitably rewarded and I'm kind of interested to see what happens in tomorrow's episode now. Don't let me down Manglobpfffffahahahahahah sure.
I thought the unlimited has been consistently good its whole run unlike roman. Do wish we get an andy origin story.

wonzo

Banned
Hataraki Man 9

hataraki9.jpg

I was wondering how they'd manage to bring the overall tone down to a far more somber note after the incredibly uplifting last episode and what better way to do just that than start off with an almost religious morning reading of the obituaries, shortly followed by a funeral for a man whom worked himself into an early grave! This show certainly does love to bash you over the head with its message on occasion and this episode was certainly no different thanks to not only Matsukata's exchange with Kaji earlier but also having her end up working with one truly awful fever. Watching her struggle through that was one of the most soul crushing things I've ever seen in this show and that says quite a bit considering what usually happens in this series.

The truly sad thing about this episode however is it ends up essentially reaffirming that working oneself to near death is an integral part to success in Japan's modern day workforce. What an utterly depressing way to live.

fertygo

Finished watching

9.5/10.

I just don't like Yuki's sub-story ending, its felt little absurd/disjointed.

Everything else was perfect though, I'm pleased the "feels" that I got isn't the tearjerking stuff or like that, but I feel all kind of emotion and smiling because I really got attached with the families and rooting for them, everytime they got through good or bad thing.. The only time I cried was in happy scene, the ending just gave me sigh of relief that felt really good.

Well done Hosoda, the technical stuff also left me in awe.. directing and the storyboard so damn smooth, its moving like silk... wow.

sonicmj1

Hataraki Man 9

In this episode, we learn the life-affirming message that even when you think you're alone in the world, you shouldn't worry; everyone is alone, and they don't complain about it, so shut up and work.

ibxMonCaaE1B8Q.jpg

After all, at times when you are clearly over your head, you shouldn't expect your fellow employees to help because they don't want to see you succeed. Just grind that shit out!

Matsukata's day here is even worse than Shinji's day back in episode 4. It was rough to watch. It was odd how the show couldn't really decide whether to make Mimura-san a cautionary tale of a man who overworked himself into an early grave, ignorant of the blessings he had in his life, or to make him a role model to which one should aspire.

iXHGwKT5yahWr.jpg

Matsukata's thought process here felt authentically feverish, which didn't make things any easier to watch.

What a depressing existence.

duckroll

For better or for worse, Hosada really does restrain himself and forgoes the typical dramatic beats that you'd include in a family film like this to bring the waterworks.

I appreciate it, but I didn't get any "feels" either.

The biggest "feel" in the movie is the moment a minute or two after the film ends, and the credits are still rolling, and you realize it's all over. It's like that moment you have on a bus or a plane while going back home after a big reunion party with friends and classmates you haven't seen in years and all you can think about instead of how fun it was, is that it's now over and you have to return back to your normal life.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The biggest "feel" in the movie is the moment a minute or two after the film ends, and the credits are still rolling, and you realize it's all over. It's like that moment you have on a bus or a plane while going back home after a big reunion party with friends and classmates you haven't seen in years and all you can think about instead of how fun it was, is that it's now over and you have to return back to your normal life.
:firehawk

fertygo

I just wondering now.

Why they just not make it
Yuki also participate in that goodbye scene, didn't that would make better scene? instead her got her own scene with the boy, I mean the last time Ame and Yuki in screen together for decent amount of screentime, they brutally fight with each other

I just assume that just Hosoda's idealistic way to say those two take different route and put more emphasis to "mother releasing her children" instead normal tearjearking goodbye scene

But still I don't think its wrong to put stronger closure.. its not like that Yuki's scene particularly important IMO, I rather she there to witness her family bigmoment.

DiGiKerot

Man all these bad reviews make me not even want to bother with The Last Dark.

Honestly, I think a lot of it is more crushing disappointment than the movie being that bad. I mean, I'm not going to defend the movie as being great or anything, but I do think it has it's moments here and there. The main problem that, for all we joked about it at the time, the movie is completely lacking all the character, insanity and ambition of the TV show - the series actually did some legitimately interesting things, and there's multiple things you can read into it's events in terms of it being a commentary on fandom or the self-conceited nature of today's youth or what have you. The fact that the movies climax plays out the way it leaves a really bad taste in your mouth as well, and quite rightly colours your perception of the entire movie as well - maybe the fan sub renders things more legible, but in addition to being dumb, it's kind of difficult to parse the point of it. It beggars belief that the TV show and the movie share writing staff.

I kind of feel that the biggest take-aways from the last year has been how absolutely legit Mizushima is as a director, which hasn't really been entirely obvious in the past thanks to a bunch of his higher profile shows being things where it's easy to attribute their quality to the original work, and that Shiotani probably shouldn't have been handed the keys to a show with the high-profile of Psycho-Pass.

Looking forward to more people seeing NeraGaku now, though obviously that has nowhere near the anticipation behind it around these parts. Infact, have they even solicited the home release for it yet?

Academica looks good.

Anyone know the approximate time delay between the theater premier and disc release and/or TV showings for the Anime Mirai films last year?

I'm going to hold-off seeing them in the hopes that they play SLA again this year - I'd rather my first viewing of these things is theatrical if at all possible, particularly if Academia delivers what it seems to be promising in terms of animation. I realise it's futile to ask, but please don't saturate the thread with GIFs of all the good cuts of animation in advance, guys, k'thx.

(Infact, I've stopped watching the promo's as well at this point. I already know I want to see it, so why spoil myself?)

Articalys

I'm going to hold-off seeing them in the hopes that they play SLA again this year - I'd rather my first viewing of these things is theatrical if at all possible, particularly if Academia delivers what it seems to be promising in terms of animation. I realise it's futile to ask, but please don't saturate the thread with GIFs of all the good cuts of animation in advance, guys, k'thx.

(Infact, I've stopped watching the promo's as well at this point. I already know I want to see it, so why spoil myself?)
The sheer casualness by which you can safely imply that there is a very positive chance that these will be screened theatrically in your country slightly irritates me, but I suppose I should learn to accept it by now.

BluWacky

Looking forward to more people seeing NeraGaku now, though obviously that has nowhere near the anticipation behind it around these parts. Infact, have they even solicited the home release for it yet?

Not yet - I have been waiting.... It was still popping up in cinemas until the middle of February but I think it's pretty much finished now. I think I'd guessed that it would probably not be until the end of summer this year that we'd get a disc release, given how long it took for Colorful to get released.

cajunator

Banned
The sheer casualness by which you can safely imply that there is a very positive chance that these will be screened theatrically in your country slightly irritates me, but I suppose I should learn to accept it by now.

Man I havent even seen the Madoka movies yet :(

Reknoc

Imagine being on the same island and still not being able to see it.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm pretty sensitive to feels, hell, I can tear up just thinking about the Mufasa scene, and I didn't get a lot of feels here.
You didn't even get a little misty-eyed when
Yuki reveals her true self to Souhei, and his acceptance of her anyways?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I honestly found Wolf Children to be nothing but feels.. the whole film borders on pure emotion, and I found myself tearing up during certain sequences of the film because of the emotional content on display, especially the music goddamn.

fertygo

You didn't even get a little misty-eyed when
Yuki reveals her true self to Souhei, and his acceptance of her anyways?
The boyfriend character feel like merely plot device, weakest part of film.
I honestly found Wolf Children to be nothing but feels.. the whole film borders on pure emotion, and I found myself tearing up during certain sequences of the film because of the emotional content on display, especially the music goddamn.

The OST and its usage are really amazing indeed.

Kazzy

So I guess I should watch Wolf Children before it enters safe to talk about it without black bars territory.

Indeed. The thread has started to feel very inclusive these last couple of pages; Which is hardly something I can begrudge. Quality breeds discussion!

I include The Last Dark in that too, obviously.

Grzi

Hunter X Hunter - 69

Show continues to impress even more now that it has a far worse original version to improve upon. Great stuff, but I really can't wait for the Chimera Ant arc to start. The weekly wait for new episodes will be excruciating when it does.

Ixion Saga DT 21
tumblr_mj41x884QL1qm3v42o1_500.gif

Really good whenever Variation gets screentime. Liked most of the episode
wish they had all stayed together now that everyone is a hyperion

Tossing the Olvidia thing in the plot out the window was so odd, wonder if actual rpgs do that for real.

Articalys

From Twitter, an overview of this year's Anime Mirai situation on TV:
-YTV, Animax and MBS get to show the shorts on TV because of their partnership with this project.
-Last year, the premiere was on Animax, starting on 3/1. It then made its way to theaters and YTV/MBS about 3 weeks later.
-This time around, it's been first shown in theaters so the order's changed. The first confirmed airtime is for Death Billiards on YTV, which will get RYU the next week. Expect weekly broadcasts, so 3/18 - 3/25 - 4/1 - 4/8 to get them all http://www.ytv.co.jp/animeroom/manpa.html
-Animax also has confirmed airtimes, with weekly broadcasts starting on 4/5 http://www.animax.co.jp/program?utf...3;ミライ+2013&x=-1377&y=-58 They get it last this time, which makes sense considering last year they got the premiere.
-MBS, which airs all the shorts in one marathon unlike the other channel, hasn't confirmed anything. It's likely they will do the same as last year and air them all by the end of march, so it could be the first channel to have aired all the material.
(via @Yuyucow)

Taruranto

Honestly, I think a lot of it is more crushing disappointment than the movie being that bad. I mean, I'm not going to defend the movie as being great or anything, but I do think it has it's moments here and there. The main problem that, for all we joked about it at the time, the movie is completely lacking all the character, insanity and ambition of the TV show - the series actually did some legitimately interesting things, and there's multiple things you can read into it's events in terms of it being a commentary on fandom or the self-conceited nature of today's youth or what have you. The fact that the movies climax plays out the way it leaves a really bad taste in your mouth as well, and quite rightly colours your perception of the entire movie as well - maybe the fan sub renders things more legible, but in addition to being dumb, it's kind of difficult to parse the point of it. It beggars belief that the TV show and the movie share writing staff.

I disagree, i think the movie really is that bad. Literally everything, the pacing, the characters and even the action scenes, was complete and utter shit.

DiGiKerot

I disagree, i think the movie really is that bad. Literally everything, the pacing, the characters and even the action scenes, was complete and utter shit.

I'll prefix this by saying that it's been five months or so since I actually saw the movie, but while I with you about the characters and pacing part of the equation, saying that the action scenes were complete and utter shit, outside of the CG monstrosity and the car chase, is entirely hyperbolic.
They're mostly fine, and better than those in a bunch of overall better movies. They're dragged down by the general don't-give-a-damn-ness the rest of the movie engenders, and aren't half as grotesque or interesting as those in the TV show, but they're entirely serviceable taken in isolation.

Jex

So I guess I should watch Wolf Children before it enters safe to talk about it without black bars territory.

We don't have such a safe territory in this thread. Maybe in a full on spoiler thread that might apply.

Moonlight

Banned
To be entirely fair, Summer Wars probably has a lot more recognition (deserving or not) going for it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that FUNimation doesn't own the license to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Although how much that would affect in regards to promotion, I wouldn't know.

Articalys

You can't just post something like that without the gif!
I'm lazy, and really didn't feel like firing up the number of programs I would need without Photoshop just to make a three-second gif.

Plus someone already posted it before you did.

Although how much that would affect in regards to promotion, I wouldn't know.
I'm sure it doesn't forbid them from mentioning it in the description, though if you were Funi, why bother name-dropping a product that wouldn't earn you any money when you can mention one that will? Also recency bias, etc.

Andrew J.

I tend to judge a lot of works by how well they can stir up my emotions and so Wolf Children left me feeling a bit confused and unfulfilled, considering how hyped I was and all the "FEELS FEELS FEELS" reviews.

Anybody who claims to have watched the playing in the snow scene without a great big smile on their face is a liar and a Communist.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Anybody who claims to have watched the playing in the snow scene without a great big smile on their face is a liar and a Communist.

I guess I'm a communist then :/

A day after watching the movie and I've come to accept that it didn't do much for me. The least enjoyable Hosoda film I've watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom