• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It turns out boys start staying at Hidamari!

jpgYsDv.gif

/XX/

Watching this film feels like watching an old master paint in front of your eyes. Whether or not it's his best film, Mamoru Hosoda has never been more confident in his storytelling abilities; every aspect is tuned to his precise calculations.
Yep, crafted with the patience of an old artisan. A man who goes bit a bit savoring how to tell such a "fairytale"... feels like Mr. Hosoda is much older and experienced than he really is, isn't it?

I didn't really like that scene. The fact that it was sort of the last thing between the two stings.
It just doesn't feel natural. I mean
unless you absolutely despise your brother or something of that nature, you don't just never talk to him again or pretend he doesn't exist. Even a quiet scene with the two staring at each other and coming to terms with the other's choice would have been adequate. I could understand if both of them were in their twenties or thirties but fights at that age are generally resolved within 24 hours.
That is true to a certain extent however,
in terms of the movie, that is really the last scene that we have of the two interacting. If the movie is about the family as a unit then there should be some sort of scene tying them together. What is left is the implication that the two never resolved their differences.
But guys, it isn't the last time they interact! Later, on the day that sudden storm happens there is a scene early on where Ame requests Yuki to stay at home with their mother, but Yuki goes to classes anyway and says he should too.

This is the kind of informality (but with a bit of a reproaching tone coming from Yuki, it seems) between them, the same kind which makes evident how they still say directly to each other what they want for the other, that makes me think the frictions between both (which of course parallel those that could be seen on other families) are equally washed away, after initial resentments, by the strong ties they share (and will share). It is the kind of relationship's back-and-forth I expected from such siblings and the posterior contrast in their ways. I see mutual respect after all is said and done.

One of Wolf Children's blaring failings is the narration. It serves minimal purpose whatsoever. I wouldn't even say it gave needed direction to the narrative. Even the moderately light amount it had (in relation to the entire film) was excessive. I see where someone would come from comparing it to Wall-E's opening, but it does not reach that level of credit. The context of each film makes the light/no dialogue work to completely different ends, Pixar's work not having vocal narration of any sort (again, only regarding introduction). The biggest issue is, it wouldn't take extremely complex steps to fix.
Like a tale she wants to pass on even if she doesn't knows much about all of it (but tries anyway), I found Yuki's words a nice touch to compliment her mother's ultimate job of a life; rising her (and Ame) well. The narration (and precisely the notion that is she the one who wants to tell it) is already like a living testament to remind us constantly in the flow of the movie of her mother's efforts, and the love she gave her.

I just wondering now.

Why they just not make it
Yuki also participate in that goodbye scene, didn't that would make better scene? instead her got her own scene with the boy, I mean the last time Ame and Yuki in screen together for decent amount of screentime, they brutally fight with each other

I just assume that just Hosoda's idealistic way to say those two take different route and put more emphasis to "mother releasing her children" instead normal tearjearking goodbye scene

But still I don't think its wrong to put stronger closure.. its not like that Yuki's scene particularly important IMO, I rather she there to witness her family bigmoment.
Going with that idea, I find that WC deftly captures that feeling of inconclusiveness in life in how it treats the various subplots. It seems kinda :firehawk now that I think about it, but Hosoda has always strived for realism, and especially that "raw"-feeling realism I like so much about the animation and art in his movies.
One momentary gripe I have right now, with how I approached the film's viewing, is how two concepts partly implied by the two good post quotes above can, in my opinion, clash; the search of a powerful and meaningful goodbye scene, and the inconclusiveness I agree the film strives to achieve for the character's life presentation it also gives.
Both make for a parting scene between Ame and Hana that I see as wanting to be emotional without trying to be too sappy with farewells or abruptly finalizing their relation in a insensitive way, a soft departure that maybe makes it too ceremonial of a scene in the end given how gentle, straightforward and "raw" the movie was focused as overall. Could it be that a unfinished goodbye would have been more apt and in-line with Yuki's side of the conclusion?

It is the kind of moments that maybe detracts from a first viewing experience because it feels to counter some of the most beautifully mundane ways of expressing a story full of mother's love for her children, that the film delights us with many times over.

Jex

I'd like to get into some of the debates surrounding Wolf Children but as I haven't seen it for months I don't really feel qualified to engage in any kind of nitty-gritty discussion.

DiGiKerot

The sheer casualness by which you can safely imply that there is a very positive chance that these will be screened theatrically in your country slightly irritates me, but I suppose I should learn to accept it by now.

If it makes you feel any better, I end up spending a small fortune chasing theatrical screenings every year.

Man I havent even seen the Madoka movies yet :(

If it makes you feel any better, it's not like Madoka has played over here yet either. That might change once the third movie is out, though.

Shergal

One momentary gripe I have right now, with how I approached the film's viewing, is how two concepts partly implied by the two good post quotes above can, in my opinion, clash; the search of a powerful and meaningful goodbye scene, and the inconclusiveness I agree the film strives to achieve for the character's life presentation it also gives.
Both make for a parting scene between Ame and Hana that I see as wanting to be emotional without trying to be too sappy with farewells or abruptly finalizing their relation in a insensitive way, a soft and departure that maybe makes it too ceremonial of a scene given how gentle, straightforward and "raw" the movie was focused as overall. Could it be that a unfinished goodbye would have been more apt and in-line with Yuki's side of the conclusion?

It is the kind of moments that maybe detracts from a first viewing experience because it feels to counter some of the most beautifully mundane ways of expressing a story full of mother's love for her children, that the film delights us with many times over.

Honestly I would have really liked it if
there was no farewell scene with Ame, or if it was handled lightly. But hey, this is a film, it's a no-brainer that scenes making use of the liberties of fiction would be there.

As for Yuki,
I didn't feel she parted ways with her mother at all, unlike Ame, and thus there was no need to focus on goodbyes with her.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"We're sorry to say but we didn't get the in between frames again before we sent the episode off to be pressed"

Light side encourage mutual molestation or do they ?
Don't forget there is a molestor in the light side as well.

Haruka-sama is more sensual and has curves and meat in all the right places. You might even say she's the most attractive of all Senran Kaguras if we're just talking the anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You didn't even get a little misty-eyed when
Yuki reveals her true self to Souhei, and his acceptance of her anyways?

They're in fucking fifth grade, what the fuck are they going to do? Live happily ever after?

Fifth grade. I know it's difficult to imagine because Hosoda did a really bad job with communicating just how young these kids were (all the kids are really tall and lanky or Hana is a midget) but they're not even in highschool yet.

And the worst part is, Yuki had NO problem fitting in until Souhei arrived. Her whole arc was about her dealing with her discomfort around Souhei, and once that was resolved, so what? Ame's decision to succeed his master will shape the rest of his life, Yuki resolved a single problem with a single classmate. It wasn't life changing, and it probably won't even last since, she moved to an entirely new environment one year after and will probably have to face the same problems all over again.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great scene visually, but it is far far weaker than Ame's story.

/XX/

Honestly I would have really liked it if
there was no farewell scene with Ame, or if it was handled lightly. But hey, this is a film, it's a no-brainer that scenes making use of the liberties of fiction would be there.
That is exactly how I see it as well. All in all, I like the scene... is in comparison with how most of the film was handled what makes me say that. As I said, in a first viewing this kind of sensations can come, and successive ones accustom you to it.

That splat in the gif was definitely something. lol
Now I can't think on this scenes without seeing pies in them!

Shonen Jack must be crying for Medaka Box Abnormal (though I guess Bakuman had no sales?).
Soon there won't be anything to promote with a companion series anymore! Another Medaka Box season seems further away than ever before (and I think it was very far already)...

When does Gothicmade come out on Bluray?
After Mr. Nagano's efforts to make available more theater showings just this past month, maybe they haven't planned to announce something like that yet.

Dresden

They're in fucking fifth grade, what the fuck are they going to do? Live happily ever after?

Fifth grade. I know it's difficult to imagine because Hosoda did a really bad job with communicating just how young these kids were (all the kids are really tall and lanky or Hana is a midget) but they're not even in highschool yet.

And the worst part is, Yuki had NO problem fitting in until Souhei arrived. Her whole arc was about her dealing with her discomfort around Souhei, and once that was resolved, so what? Ame's decision to succeed his master will shape the rest of his life, Yuki resolved a single problem with a single classmate. It wasn't life changing, and it probably won't even last since, she moved to an entirely new environment one year after and will probably have to face the same problems all over again.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great scene visually, but it is far far weaker than Ame's story.

Eh,
his acceptance was meaningful because prior to that, Yuki fitting in hinged on her rejecting that wolf side of her. He's the first one outside of her family who accepts her knowing in truth what she is. When she's grown up with the mantra that no one should know all her life, that's pretty important.

It's something that'll affect the rest of her life in that she will no longer deny the wolf within her. Both Ame and Yuki's separate paths shouldn't be seen as a rejection of the other, but rather a decision taken with the understanding of the integral nature between the two.

Also it's sixth grade.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eh,
his acceptance was meaningful because prior to that, Yuki fitting in hinged on her rejecting that wolf side of her. He's the first one outside of her family who accepts her knowing in truth what she is. When she's grown up with the mantra that no one should know all her life, that's pretty important.
I think that sailed over my head, but I see what you mean now.

Also it's sixth grade.

Also missed that. I was thinking only of our school system.

THE UNLIMITED ETC ETC 09

I guess the action wasn't bad this week. A little weak on the whole esper causing grand destruction scale but at least it was there.

I'm kinda checked out on the whole story at this point. It doesn't feel that compelling for me to really care what's going on. Though, I was slightly amused that they had someway to make the bad guys even worse than the existing bad guys.

THE UNLIMITED 09

Freaking excellent episode .. i guess this serie doesn't disapoint me.
Glad that unavoidable incidents are "unavoidable" in the ZKC universe. Now considering what happenned i'm wondering just how long will the deus ex machina will continue.

I think i know how this will end now and how the will justify it by the events that occured in the manga afterwards .. it'll be a cool tie - in if everyone/thing goes as planned.

Zettai%20Karen%20Children%20THE%20UNLIMITED%20-%20Hyoubu%20Kyousuke%20-%2009.jpg

Latetotheparty.jpg or slowpoke.jpg

Andy actions had a justification but they were dumb as hell.

"but but you said" .. i mean seriously... Take a hint !

Bonus points for patty ! (yes.gif) Too short but still good.

Yugiri take the " I want to protect her" award .. seriously too bad she is condammed as it is to a sad fate .....i hope the writters are clever at least .

Hyoubu was subjected to a INT -30 attack thanks to plot .. at least he did his job well as the main character of this arc ... Still wondering who is this voice

Syrinx

Ive been drinking beer all afternoon and now I'm reading sailor moon and listening to yes and yes lyrics still don't make sense. What do I do?

CorvoSol

Gao Gai Gar 12

So it occurs to me that Pasdar and his four cronies aren't unlike the main villain in FFU, who also had four weird nutjob lackies. They also remind me of Rita Repulsa and her fool chump minions. In fact, much of this show reminds me of Power Rangers. Not sure why, though.

Anyway, piloting GaoGaiGar is killing Guy, but he can go Super Saiyan by pulling on his cyborg sideburns, so its all good. And Mamoru is taking Hana with him to Okinawa~! Jeez, Okinawa is a popular place and also Hana's parents are a bunch of lousy deadbeats.

Oh, and Mamoru and Hana made a Cloud and Tifa promise. So like, ten years from now, this means Guy is gonna go berserk, rebel against GGG, and kill everyone Mamoru knows. Mamoru will fall in love with another woman but wind up with Hana anyway.

Then he'll hate Hana all his days as he wages a war of absolute genocide against Zondarians and we'll sit through 50 episodes of him saying he's a Savior and wanting to kill ourselves.

Jex

Oh like you didn't try your best to unsubtly reverse psychologize everyone into watching the first one way back when!

The first Mardock Scramble is an experience worth having/ambushing others with. I won't say the same for the second.

Ishida & Asakura 9

I laughed. Really wonder how this would have done if it were five minutes instead of two minutes.

Tegami Bachi 14 - 25

Really good expansion of Gauche Suede, Aria Link, Lloyd Largo's past and then enclosing it within a swift introduction of the man who couldn't become spirit and those of the entity known as reverse. Easily still one of my favorite manga targeting the shonen demographic and one that has a heavy adventure focus with good character development, lovely detailed arc work, and great personalities. Zazie is really a star of this anime. Really cant wait for Sentai's release of Reverse. 9 / 10

Tegami Bachi Academy (Gakuen) 13 - 25

Absolutely hilarious, poor Dr. Thunderland and all his troubles with the students and even Moc Sullivan having screentime less than him. Jiggy Pepper is the pure embodiment of cool, no matter what he said or how he said it, even standing in front of the window with the cold air he was amazing. I would love more screentime for him next half and the quiz before graduation had perhaps the funniest moment of the shorts. 9 / 10

Jex

New trailer? Little witch academia

e: man, this looks amazing. Need it now.

At this point in this titles hype cycle I've decided that I no longer need to consume the media that promotes it - I am already committed to viewing this and I don't want to have anything revealed beforehand. Which is basically how I feel about Patema Inverted.

I rarely do this for anime, so this is definitely a good sign.

OceanBlue

At this point in this titles hype cycle I've decided that I no longer need to consume the media that promotes it - I am already committed to viewing this and I don't want to have anything revealed beforehand. Which is basically how I feel about Patema Inverted.

I rarely do this for anime, so this is definitely a good sign.

I don't know if I've ever felt that way about anything. I feed off of promotional materials for things I'm excited for, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You didn't even get a little misty-eyed when
Yuki reveals her true self to Souhei, and his acceptance of her anyways?

Eh,

It's something that'll affect the rest of her life in that she will no longer deny the wolf within her. Both Ame and Yuki's separate paths shouldn't be seen as a rejection of the other, but rather a decision taken with the understanding of the integral nature between the two.

Also it's sixth grade.

Well, part of the problem is that you
know what will happen, and even if you don't, you've already seen this exact same sense of trust being placed on Hana back in the introductory sequence of the film

I believe you are conditioned to the :firehawk now that it doesn't affect you anymore :p
I'm sure I still get feels. I just can't remember the last time. lol

Jex

what is this *________*

is this gov. funded?

I see that you're already dead. Owch.

However, to answer your question, Little Witch Academia is part of the 2013 Anime Mirai project, which is funded by the Japanese government.

Kazzy

[Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki]

Since it has been covered already, I'll forgo all the platitudes, and instead simply defer to a quote from the film. "Very fulfilling".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom