• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saprol

Puchimas! 46

iXzmYSk2Ja3gg.jpg

Chibiki too considerate.

ara ara ara ara ara ara

Syrinx

Futari wa Pretty Cure 7

Wow those lacrosse goalies sucked. Especially that one for the opponents at the end. She just stood there staring straight.

So Honoka's close with that guy Nagisa's hot for. Wonder how that'll play put.

cajunator

Banned
Futari wa Pretty Cure 7

Wow those lacrosse goalies sucked. Especially that one for the opponents at the end. She just stood there staring straight.

So Honoka's close with that guy Nagisa's hot for. Wonder how that'll play put.

that resolves itself rather uneventfully.

Hidamari Sketch x ☆☆☆ 1 (rewatch)

And something fuwafuwa I watched. Definitely the strongest first episode out of all of the seasons. First half is a typical Hidamari skitche with the four girls we know and love but now in ACHE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WIDENESS, while the second half is the introduction of Nori and Nazuna. The girls are all nervous to meet them but through unforeseeable circumstances their meeting each other is not as grand as they had hoped. Writing this, I'm wondering if this is actually my favorite season instead of x365. Well let's find out!

Marche90

I feel like a stranger coming here without posting anything before. Oh well

Robotics;Notes 19 (Yeah, just watched it today)

Woah, Nae really takes a lot from Suzuha, huh?
That is all I have to say. Also, the wait for next week's episode is killing me. As usual. I don't know why I'm surprised about that.

Branduil

More words on Blood-C: The Last Dark

Many people felt that, after Blood-C, CLAMP could do nothing more to show their contempt for humanity; after all, how do you top
bunnies viciously murdering an entire town
in ludicrous ways? So, the expectation, aided by the misleading trailers, was that The Last Dark was going to be a cathartic experience, giving us a straightforward revenge/action flick. What people need to understand, going into this, is that the whole reason the movie exists is to be the final backstab from CLAMP to humanity, and in order to effectively communicate that they had to use an entirely different method than the one they employed in the show.

Every aspect of the writing in the film was carefully chosen to subvert audience expectations. You expect an action-packed film, but most of the first half is filled with unexciting talking scenes. We expect wacky and crazy
death scenes for the lame, cardboard cutout side characters, but surprise, everyone lives fairly happily ever after except the traitor
. We expect a finale that
awes us, but instead, Saya kills a ninja-monster offscreen and then kills a giant CGI monster in five seconds with all the difficulty of a quick-time event. And then Fumito basically kills himself.
The Saya we know is a bubbly airhead whose catchphrase is an ironic joke, but the Saya in this film is a taciturn and cold being
who is surprisingly competent

I think the characterization of Saya needs to be talked about in more detail. One thing I couldn't understand, watching the film, was why Mana was so entranced with Saya. The Saya in this film has no personality, she's cold to everyone she meets, and she's an
inhuman monster
. Then it hit me- that was exactly the whole point. The first appearance of Mana in the story, she's reading about rumors of monsters and Saya on her twitter feed. She later tells Saya about how the internet thought she was really interesting because she was walking around at night despite the curfew law. Mana never knew a thing about the real Saya; she was just relating to a romanticized mirage, and projecting her own feelings onto her. CLAMP is mocking all of us for so easily being manipulated by the power of narrative; we can easily end up cheering for protagonists and heroes with terrible personalities who do awful things, because we delude ourselves into relating with them. The fact that Saya
unwittingly killed Mana's father
is just the icing on the spite cake. In the end, Fumito really was the only person who understood Saya, and accepted her for who she was.
And in the end, he gives up his humanity for a chance to just briefly be with the one he loves, and have her understand him
. That's the final insult: the only moment of truly honest emotional intimacy in the film happens
between two monsters.

In summary, CLAMP has the last laugh once again.

Branduil

You write this post longer than your post about Wolf Children. Better film confirmed.

Btw can we safely say Nishiotani is not a good director?

I don't think Shiotani understood the script, which is why so many people don't understand the movie.

Then again, maybe that was CLAMP's plan from the start.

How is Black Lagoon? I was going to start it. Kinda looks odd. The girl looks like sh'es basically just fanservice and nothing else. The main guy looks like a coward. Am I wrong? is it any good?

Ultimadrago

How is Black Lagoon? I was going to start it. Kinda looks odd. The girl looks like sh'es basically just fanservice and nothing else. The main guy looks like a coward. Am I wrong? is it any good?

It's okay. You'll find Revy is a bit more than simple fanservice and Rock starts cowardly,
but fills the shoes of his new environment in his own fashion.

Hidamari Sketch x ☆☆☆ 1 (rewatch)

This is the only first episode I don't remember from across the Hidamari Sketch seasons.
Perhaps I'll check some of Hoshimittsu again one day.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 48

A big strong woman manages to overcome such incredibly oppressive gender roles and finds true happiness, so progressive~

The first short was easily the weakest of the three this week as it touched upon the same old hateful stepmother but with an evil spirits twist. The second one was an interesting tale about a man seeking a woman he met at a Hot Springs to save her from being enslaved in a loveless arranged marriage. It also had some pretty nice and out there art (see below). The third one was about an incredibly boyish woman who marries someone in the city. Her mother's rather worried about her mannerisms and tells her to put an "o" in front of everything so she'd sound more polite and feminine when speaking, this of course backfires on her eventually but it all works out in the end as the family she's married into loves her all the same.

folktales48b.jpg

Mature

Hmmm... Can anyone recommend a good comedy? I've been watching some heavy stuff lately and I need a bit of a break. Preferably something not on my list.

Hakkenden Touhou Hakken Ibun 09

Wasn't a bad episode. Even if it did basically ship off one of the few remaining females in this show, it was a nice self contained story. I was amused by that insert song it kept playing.

Articalys

Sakurasou 21

Yes, the plot's getting all kinds of stupid, but I thought the execution and voice acting in this episode was really good, especially the confrontation outside between Sorata and Nanami. For a rookie seiyuu, that was a great job by Mariko Nakatsu. She's certainly been putting more than enough effort into her role to make up for the fact that Ai Kayano barely has to ever emote as Mashiro.

Also, the piano version of "Days of Dash" is fantastic BGM.

Instro

Sakurasou 21

Yes, the plot's getting all kinds of stupid, but I thought the execution and voice acting in this episode was really good, especially the confrontation outside between Sorata and Nanami. For a rookie seiyuu, that was a great job by Mariko Nakatsu.

I like watching Sorata get daggered every other episode. It could only get worse for him if Mashiro steals Aoyama away with her talent...Actually that's probably the next twist lol.

Westlo

Hold on OreImo has a ClariS OP!? Is the show any good? I'm half-tempted to watch it just for the OP now.

How the hell are you a ClariS fan and not know about the OreImo OP? It's easily the best song they've done, everything else after it is pretty meh, especially the Nise ending.

The iDOLM@STER 13
u8lQEV1.jpg

The idol life is tough.
The way they were playing it off, you'd think Miki would have died if she did two songs right in a row. And you'd think that they would have informed the audience that Ryugu Komachi will be late. But I guess in the end they did a good show.
Had this only been a one cour show, this would have been a pretty good end. They definitely make it feel like it is, with the flashback ED and all.
I guess I should update the list too. It's very important you know!
Chet Rippo said:
  1. Azusa
  2. Takane
  3. Makoto
  4. Kotori
  5. Ritsuko
  6. Miki
  7. Hibiki
  8. Yukiho
  9. Chihaya
  10. Ami & Mami
  11. Haruka
  12. Yayoi
  13. Producer
  14. Every side character
  15. Iori

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sakurasou 21

Yes, the plot's getting all kinds of stupid, but I thought the execution and voice acting in this episode was really good, especially the confrontation outside between Sorata and Nanami. For a rookie seiyuu, that was a great job by Mariko Nakatsu. She's certainly been putting more than enough effort into her role to make up for the fact that Ai Kayano barely has to ever emote as Mashiro.

I completely agree.

cajunator

Banned
One last thing about The Last Dark: the soundtrack is really, really good. Easily the best thing about the movie.

so you're saying I should just leave the movie playing and listen to it in the background instead?

The iDOLM@STER 13

The way they were playing it off, you'd think Miki would have died if she did two songs right in a row. And you'd think that they would have informed the audience that Ryugu Komachi will be late. But I guess in the end they did a good show.
Had this only been a one cour show, this would have been a pretty good end. They definitely make it feel like it is, with the flashback ED and all.
I guess I should update the list too. It's very important you know!

you put Takane and Makoto in top three so I approve of this list.

yami4ct

Since all the cool kids are watching it, felt I had to get on board.

Wolf Children

It's well established that I'm a freaking crybaby when it comes to movies, tv, books, etc. Man, guys, this one got me. This one got me good. It's a beautiful little story. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel at first. I went I'm completely blind and didn't really enjoy the first like 1/4 of the movie. It was a very corny setup. It felt like it was trying a bit too hard. That back 3/4, though, man they are really something. Just a wonderful experience.

What impressed me most was the vivid attention to detail. It's detail I haven't ever really seen outside of a Ghibli project. Every frame is packed with beautiful animation. It's really clear that this was a passion project for Hosada. It was filled with a loving touch I haven't seen from an anime film in quite some time.

Honestly, outside of that, there isn't much I can say about the film that hasn't been said more eloquently by some other poster. I guess I'll end by saying I have a lot of hope for Hosada's future work. I'm unfamiliar with him outside of his work on Digimon. It's amazing to see how much he's grown as a filmmaker. I'm excited to give The Girl Who Lept Through Time and Summer Wars a shot. While I don't expect to be as blown away by those as I was by Wolf Children, this guy has really shown he deserves my full attention. I'll gladly give any future projects he has in mind a go at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom