• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Jex

Here's an odd question: do you folks think that part of the premise for manga and anime of Cobra was based, in part of Philip K Dick's short story We Can Remember it for you Wholesale or is it just a crazy random happenstance that it shares a similar plot element?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh! Superball!

jbcCvBsZu9sDHO.png

Articalys

ctrl+f5 on the page or move your mouse over the list. Should update. I don't really like these titles either as they go to the other side of the spectrum using English titles no-one uses. (ie magical DoRemi)
Yeah, that's why I want to find a way to get the first script to work, since then I could edit the source code to point to a personal list with the titles tweaked exactly how I would want them. There'd be a bit of work involved getting it set up, sure, but it would only be a one-time thing. Well, plus making additions for new titles as you add them to your list, but that wouldn't be so bad.

BluWacky

Here's an odd question: do you folks think that part of the premise for manga and anime of Cobra was based, in part of Philip K Dick's short story We Can Remember it for you Wholesale or is it just a crazy random happenstance that it shares a similar plot element?

It's a plot similarity that hasn't gone unnoticed by the Japanese, judging by the number of search results it's turned up; however, I have absolutely no idea whether Buichi Terasawa has acknowledged the inspiration. I'm afraid having neither seen nor read Cobra nor having any familiarity with Terasawa's history I have no idea - but I guess we may never know either way unless he outright states the inspiration.

ctrl+f5 on the page or move your mouse over the list. Should update. I don't really like these titles either as they go to the other side of the spectrum using English titles no-one uses. (ie magical DoRemi)

I had to white-list some things on no-script, but I've got the non-cached version working now. But now the list isn't sorted alphabetically, which might bother me more than the romaji titles.

Jex

It's a plot similarity that hasn't gone unnoticed by the Japanese, judging by the number of search results it's turned up; however, I have absolutely no idea whether Buichi Terasawa has acknowledged the inspiration. I'm afraid having neither seen nor read Cobra nor having any familiarity with Terasawa's history I have no idea - but I guess we may never know either way unless he outright states the inspiration.

Well it would appear to be fairly direct inspiration but that only comes from my limited perspective - their may be a number of other science fiction stories that share the same premise which are just less popular.

BluWacky

And for Jexhius, in case he hasn't seen it, the French parody short of Cobra, "Espece D'Aventure Grosbras" ("Dumbass Adventure Big Arms", although of course you lose the play on words in translation) is on the Tube of You.

Articalys

I had to white-list some things on no-script, but I've got the non-cached version working now. But now the list isn't sorted alphabetically, which might bother me more than the romaji titles.
Yeah, unfortunately (as far as I know) there's no way to further intercept the page loading to reorder things. I suppose the best compromise, if I can get the cache version working, is to use custom titles that are romaji with the preferred English title in parentheses after it. It's all we can do at this point, probably.

Ultimadrago

Nichijou 11

Super Ultra Mega Amazing Wonderful Bad.

One of my absolute "Engrish" favorites!

Oh! Superball!

Superballs are the cat's meow.

Actually, someone did just create what is supposed to be a Greasemonkey script to force the English titles clientside using a remote list, but I can't get it to work:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/160951

This alternate script does work fine for me, but you wouldn't be able to make your own title database with it.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/160952

Can anyone test these and see if they work for you?

Hmm

PsionBolt

Yeah, that's why I want to find a way to get the first script to work, since then I could edit the source code to point to a personal list with the titles tweaked exactly how I would want them. There'd be a bit of work involved getting it set up, sure, but it would only be a one-time thing. Well, plus making additions for new titles as you add them to your list, but that wouldn't be so bad.

I set custom titles for a lot of things that I watch, using MAL Updater. You can just conveniently right-click any title and pick Override Name.

I don't know why anyone would use web MAL at all compared to MAL Updater, actually. I highly reccomend it. It uses the same account, but presents everything in a much, much better way. It also has options to monitor what you're watching and update automatically (hence the name), taking all the work out of keeping your list tidy. I probably wouldn't bother keeping a list at all if it wasn't so convenient to.

Theonik

Yeah, unfortunately (as far as I know) there's no way to further intercept the page loading to reorder things. I suppose the best compromise, if I can get the cache version working, is to use custom titles that are romaji with the preferred English title in parentheses after it. It's all we can do at this point, probably.
You could get order working too with some effort. Albeit it's slightly more effort.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know, I really am greatly enjoying the reduced speed that this thread is moving at.
Well it certainly makes catching up with the thread in the morning easier when you only have to read around 100 posts rather 600.

Jex

And for Jexhius, in case he hasn't seen it, the French parody short of Cobra, "Espece D'Aventure Grosbras" ("Dumbass Adventure Big Arms", although of course you lose the play on words in translation) is on the Tube of You.

Delightful. I wonder why the French are so enamoured with Cobra? I mean, I know that anime/manga is extremely popular in France but I'm surprised that Cobra is such a popular character. I guess he is the one of the most extreme male fantasies around, apart from looking so damn goofy.

Kurita

Delightful. I wonder why the French are so enamoured with Cobra? I mean, I know that anime/manga is extremely popular in France but I'm surprised that Cobra is such a popular character. I guess he is the one of the most extreme male fantasies around, apart from looking so damn goofy.
It's just that it was one of the first anime/manga to be published here.
Plus the hero is based on Jean-Paul Belmondo, a very famous French actor.

Articalys

You could get order working too with some effort. Albeit it's slightly more effort.
Well, I'd have to get the caching one to work for me in the first place...

Whatever, it's not a major concern. I can deal with it later, like next time I have a chance to ask people who know about Javascript.

Does anyone have any info on Pichique Fukurokouji who's credited for having directed Mine Fujiko's episode 11? Was my favorite episode of the series.

Can't find anything on him/her, such a weird pen name too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I watching this Welsh show called Lush Live! Basically it's been decided because of dwindling interest the village fete will not be put on this year. A group of local school girls refuse to let this happen so they decided to form a pop group to help raise the community spirit. What they discover however is that other local villages are also producing their own school pop groups and attracting all the tourists away from their village so they big aim to to enter the county Lush Live! contest so that their village wins the sort after Lush Live! trophy and Lush Live! teapot and of course becomes a must go to name on a map.

It's just that it was one of the first anime/manga to be published here.
Plus the hero is based on Jean-Paul Belmondo, a very famous French actor.

I'm one of the very few late manga fan in france that doesn't like cobra .
Hearing that they used belmondo as a template make me dislike the character more.

cajunator

Banned
Whch otaku likes to project themselves as small fat wimpy person? Accel World is better since the MC is not a handsome gary stu.

Truth. Plus Haru is adorable.
Thats not even counting the existence of Sky Raker, who gives AW yet another boost.

The twist in the show is pretty stupid... and otherwise it becomes a rather forgettable romcom/harem thing. And it also has very little bearing on the show itself, so... I dunno. lol

I think having seen this show years ago in the first years of my anime collecting days may have painted it in a more positive light than if I were to rewatch it. I would probably still like it though.

I think having seen this show years ago in the first years of my anime collecting days may have painted it in a more positive light than if I were to rewatch it. I would probably still like it though.

If you have trouble remembering the show,
just eat some pocky, that'll clear everything up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's too bad. :-/
Beyond the writing, it also has that ugly early 2000s look. Like, putting it up against Ano Natsu is almost not fair. :p

I dunno, maybe I just remember what happens at the latter half of the series, but I don't really think it does anything all that special.

If you have trouble remembering the show,
just eat some pocky, that'll clear everything up.
Damn. lol

---

Amnesia 9 is the best episode of anime this season. This is fucking art.

Amnesia 09

Bad car for otherwise making this an amazing episode.

I just want to protect you.

I'm only thinking about protecting you.

You just want to protect her.

I decided to protect you in my own way.

AND SHE STARTS FALLING FOR HIM!

So guys to win over a girl, become a yandere boyfriend.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amnesia 09

Step one:
lie to her.

Step two:
use date rape drugs.

Step three:
lock her in a dog cage and give her stuffed animals.

Step four:
be emo.

wwww

Then again, women apparently like the stalkery nature of the Twilight guys, so I guess that actually makes perfect sense. :p

cajunator

Banned
Beyond the writing, it also has that ugly early 2000s look. Like, putting it up against Ano Natsu is almost not fair. :p

I dunno, maybe I just remember what happens at the latter half of the series, but I don't really think it does anything all that special.

Damn. lol

---

Amnesia 9 is the best episode of anime this season. This is fucking art.

I disagree about the look of the show. I still like that early digital look even today. Its nostalgic but still pleasing to me.

Amnesia 09

I think Toma is the best one in the anime.

cajunator

Banned
I'm just talking about the characters. It's like a mash of the 90s style and what would become later 2000s style.

lololololol

Agree with you mostly, except that Mizuho looks absolutely amazing. My friend has an artbook of Onegai Teacher and I thumb through that book whenever I visit. She's gorgeous.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, my laptop is dying and I only have a week left on my warranty so it's looking like I might have to send it in in the near future. I don't have another computer and typing shit on mobile devices is a pain in the ass so if I disappear for two or three weeks, you'll know why. Guess I'd better get a Crunchyroll sub finally if I still want to watch shit while I'm computer-less.

Does anyone have any info on Pichique Fukurokouji who's credited for having directed Mine Fujiko's episode 11? Was my favorite episode of the series.

Can't find anything on him/her, such a weird pen name too.

Given the owl theme, that's a pretty appropriate pen name.

-Minsc-

Texhnolyze 22 (END)

KptbkLR.gif

I really don't know how to properly write down my thoughts on this show other than that it depressed the hell out of me. The world presented was pretty well built, the characters were human even though some physical parts of them may have not been, and the plot while somewhat confusing at times was as entertaining as it was, again, soulcrushingly depressing. I need to watch something fuwafuwa Jesus Christ.

Is it too late for Usagi Drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom