• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I'd love it if someone did, but I would completely understand if it never does.
Doesn't seem like a show that would go very well in the west. I mean already it loses a lot in translation.

And you only get more the further along you go!
Oooooooh.
Well I figured those would be running themes!
Never seen The Animatrix. Never even saw the last of the three films.
Not a bad thing on the last movie though the smith fight was sorta cool. Haven't seen the Animatrix either so I can't say.

cajunator

Banned
I'd love it if someone did, but I would completely understand if it never does.

Seeing as Acchi Kocchi got licensed, I think little shows like that have a chance.
Although the jokes in joshiraku are very japanese in nature and might get lost in translation. Acchi Kocchi is much more direct.

DiGiKerot

That was actually a comment about how Gotham Knight was on the other side of the spectrum!

Gotham Knight < Halo Legends < Animatrix.

Oh, crikey - I've never seen Gotham Knight, so given that much of Halo Legends is pretty... well... I'd just assumed it was better!

Theonik

Seeing as Acchi Kocchi got licensed, I think little shows like that have a chance.
Although the jokes in joshiraku are very japanese in nature and might get lost in translation. Acchi Kocchi is much more direct.
The show is basically as Japanese you can get from Kanji puns to blatant nationalism I don't think it's one that will be licensed.

Oooooooh.
Well I figured those would be running themes!
c6Dkdl.jpg

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. The puns might just be too much to handle.

duckroll

Oh, crikey - I've never seen Gotham Knight, so given that much of Halo Legends is pretty... well... I'd just assumed it was better!

Halo Legends has Toei and BONES. Gotham Knight has.... stuff that made Madhouse and Kawajiri decide to pull all their names from the credits. Just saying!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is this your subtle way of coming out as a Degrassi fan?
I actually watched the first season of the show way back when. And then again when Kevin Smith decided to show up.

But if you look at his credits, he's been everywhere. You can't really avoid him here unless you just hate Canadian content. lol

It's a great execution of premise up until it tries to conclude itself, at which point it falls flat on its face, but I still think it's a fantastic example of the power of writing in making 'telling' a lot more effective than 'showing.'
Oh yeah? Please don't tell me it's just random shot/reverse shot sequences where people talk to each other about the horrors going on in the outside or something!

The Canadian film and television industry is best ignored in my experience, but every once in a while it'll pop out a Cronenberg, so it ain't all bad. That even gives it a great track record for horror movies. :p
I dunno, you'll get a long take scene like this that popped up on GAF a while ago from 19-2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F32Ftjt5Io4
(It's the first time I heard of the show though, but that's because we just don't get French stuff here)

And as much as I bely the state of Canadian TV and barely watch any of it nowadays, the CBC is still churning out shows that people seem to watch so... hey, apparently someone likes this stuff. lol

7Th

Because American's (and others) can't handle our unique ability to steal ANN's bandwidth, here you go:

So, the Dynamite in the Brain Podcast recently did a pretty good episode on The Animatrix that you can find here. Listening to them reminiscene about this omnibus work makes me feel pretty old considering it came out way back in 2003.

Just for the sake of passing the time, could you rank the shorts in order most favourite to least favourite? Just to refresh your memory the shorts were (these details are probably wrong, lol ANN):

A1711-2_zps52f8d198.jpg

The Second Renaissance Parts 1 & 2
Director: Mahiro Maeda

A1713-2_zpse1aca3ce.jpg

Kid's Story
Director: Shinichiro Watanabe

A1712-2_zpsf038c87e.jpg

Program
Director: Yoshiaki Kawajiri

A1714-2_zpsc9d0c105.jpg

World Record
Takeshi Koike in your face

A1715-2_zps6c27c6bc.jpg

Beyond
Director: Koji Morimoto

A1717-2_zps37053d0d.jpg

A Detective Story
Director: Shinichiro Watanabe

A1716-2_zps4c84c4cb.jpg

Matriculated
Director: Peter Chung

A1718-12_zps73959c69.jpg

Final Flight of the Osiris
Director: Andy Jones

My rankings are as follows:

1. Beyond
2. Kid's Story
4. Program
5. World Record
3. The Second Renaissance Parts 1 & 2
6. Matriculated
7. A Detective Story
8. Final Flight of the Osiris

Beyond > Kid's Story > World Record > Second Renaissance > A Detective Story > Matriculated > Program >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Final Flight of the Osiris

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Almost, but not quite. It is basically a filmed radio drama tho.

The best counterexample to the stupid show-don't-tell "rule", and which I do not think could be carried with the same weight in any other medium, is probably My Dinner with Andre, though it is sadly related to neither radio plays nor Canadians as far as I am aware.

Well, it's not like I have anything against "telling", since I am a fan of drama and read plays from time to time and those are all writer heavy for a reason.

Another film that comes to mind is this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Earth
It's basically a man who claims to be immortal confessing to his colleagues about his life living through human history, including the fact that he was, among other things, Jesus Christ. Most of the move take places in a cabin and there are no flashbacks or cuts or anything. It's literally just people in a room listening to a man tell a story.

The thing is that "telling" doesn't really work like that in film. Most of the time it's used for plot development, not character development (this is especially prevalent in science fiction/fantasy). There's also the expectations of film that change the nature of strong dramatic acting, especially since you can just do a close up of a person's face and have them physically show an emotion as opposed to requiring that they explain themselves like they would in a play.

I guess the most unfortunate thing is that I've never really seen a stage adaptation that has become a film, so I've never had the opportunity to compare the two approaches to the same text. I mean, I watched Rent more than a decade ago, but I have no desire to watch the film. Same with Les Mis actually. But I expect that there are trade-offs to both versions anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I enjoyed Phantom of the Opera on both stage and the screen.

Haly

It played forever in Toronto and I never bothered to see it. lol

You should be ashamed.

Even I watched it in Toronto, and I'm but an uncultured plebe.

The movie's score was worse, and the Phantom was too prettied up to really live up to his legend, but I think overall the flexibility of the camera made the story more broadly appealing than the static stage. I know my dad thinks so, since he told me after watching the movie for the first time that he never "got" the story when he saw it as a musical (and only focused on the music), but understood it much easier as a movie.

Also.

Princess Tutu > Swan Lake.

Haly

Sir Webber rolling in his fucking grave.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So apparently the new SAO game got reviewed by Famitsu, which obviously doesn't mean much, but here's the score.

8/7/7/7

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Translated, that means "F".
You mean not enough moneybags!

You should be ashamed.

Even I watched it in Toronto, and I'm but an uncultured plebe.

The movie's score was worse, and the Phantom was too prettied up to really live up to his legend, but I think overall the flexibility of the camera made the story more broadly appealing than the static stage. I know my dad thinks so, since he told me after watching the movie for the first time that he never "got" the story when he saw it as a musical (and only focused on the music), but understood it much easier as a movie.

Also.

Princess Tutu > Swan Lake.
You saw it at the Pantages? lol

And, I assume as a movie, they have to work harder at telling the story more than anything else. Of course, with musicals, there's a heightened reality anyway.

I kind of wish I could see a stage version of Glengarry Glen Ross just to compare it though, but that'll probably never happen. Probably the last no-musical stage adaptation that I've seen is Angels in America... and I don't even know how that would work on stage.

BluWacky

Sir Webber rolling in his fucking grave.

He's a Lord. And he's not quite dead yet :p

No-one should see the Rent film, because it's shit, and they filmed the last night on Broadway so you should watch that instead. But everyone should see the Les Mis film
so I continue to get paid

Is it time for me to repost the Utena musical? IT'S TIME FOR ME TO REPOST THE UTENA MUSICAL!

Sekai woooooooo kakumeiiiiiii~
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh~
Suru tame niiiiiiiii~

Haly

You mean not enough moneybags!

You saw it at the Pantages? lol
I lived in Toronto for a year or two and I saw it then. Although that was when I was what the scotts refer to as a "wee bairn", so I don't remember much. I saw it again much later on Broadway when I could actually appreciate it.

He's a Lord. And he's not quite dead yet :p
Boy is my face red.

But everyone should see the Les Mis film
so I continue to get paid
All I know about Les Mis I learned from Hark! A Vagrant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom