• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This calls for another open question, free for all to answer:

What's your favorite sports anime?

Hajime no Ippo

Cardfight!! Vanguard 4~6: this show is really good. I like Misaki she is the embodiement of cool, really. The secret-mystic card shop bears its lot of interesting character too. Finally, the little over-excited boy looks likfe funny. Can' wait to see them all in the first tournament.

Jojo 19:
Mecha Stroheim
was disappointingly weak. Other than that, it was the actual lot of fun. Looking forward to learning the Zepellis story.

Moonlight

Banned
Sword of the Stranger

Not much was going on today, so I decided to pull up a seat and get around to watching myself Sword of the Stranger. It'd be a waste putting it off, anyways. Considering the pricing. Given that, it goes without saying that I also had some pretty high hopes (expectations were something else entirely) going into this film. And... it met (and even exceeded) them, and it didn't. It wasn't a terribly ambitious film and it lacked a terribly ambitious core, but it's executed with such confidence and with such deftness that it's hard for me to remain too critical of it. What I mean to say is that the action in this film is really on another level.

While the glorious climax is an excellent example of what I mean, the first fifteen minutes of the film does an excellent job setting up everything they want you to know about the film - that includes the action. It does so much in so little words: introduce Kotaro, establish Rarou's skill and power as a swordsmaster, immediately inform the audience they come from China (with a decision as simple as having them speak Chinese), tease among the central plot points of the movie with regards to the machine, and showcase the unrelenting, unbelievably well executed action sequences. It makes promises and assures the audience it will make good on every last one. It's 'show, don't tell' at its' finest. And it put its' hooks into me like you wouldn't believe. It helps that the entire film bleeds production quality from every pore. From the art, to the animation, to the music, BONES put their finest onto this project, and it couldn't be plainer. There's a sense of weight and physicality in how characters animate and how they move that's really quite remarkable. It grounds everything that happens on screen, even as the action becomes more and more over-the-top. It's gorgeous to look at, and matched in equal part with the sheer strength of its' pacing and fight choreography.

Action aside, the relationship between Nanashi and Kotaro was a surprisingly quite strong. Like most things about Sword of the Stranger, it's not exactly uncharted territory as far as character dynamics or archetypes go, but it's convincing all the same with an easy chemistry between our two heroes, and, of course, the expressive, fluid animation contributing greatly to making their interactions seem so much more natural. And by the end of the film, you understand exactly
what motivates Nanaishi to draw his sword once again

Still, I just wish the framing could have been better. The driving conflict in the story is pretty ridiculous, and I can't even remember the names of some of the characters. I can see where some people might make a case for it being a homage to your typical samurai film - the
sudden, somewhat ignoble deaths of characters built up through the movie and into the climax
was a bit jarring, but hardly uncommon for samurai films. But I don't think a story can really get away with its' failings by excusing it as a homage. And, in regards to the side-characters, it's just that nothing was there to connect me to them... at all. Some things just felt too shallow for its' own good, and frankly I'm a bit lost on the point of some of the plot threads. There's a big game that the two sides are playing for most of the film (which comes to a head in the climax), yet I spent most of it wondering how it was even being played. It feels a bit messy in some ways.

Some of it feels like it might be on me. Somewhere between the insanely great visuals and sharp direction it started to feel more ambitious than it was actually trying to be.

Regardless, while I don't think I'd recommend buying this at a hundred and ten dollars (well, sixty given the card I used to offset the cost), were it thirty or even forty dollars, I would wholly recommend it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, they need to make either a Curling or a Hockey anime, then I can just get invested based on the sport alone. lol

Maybe make an anime adaptation of Pride. :p

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Smile Precure 10:

Okonomiyaki. Not even the villians can resist. All around feel good episode for Akane and her efforts to catch up to her old man. Good feels, good cutes. :3

Articalys

Well, we did, but it's always nice to see more hype for the upcoming episode that might finally move the plot (so to speak) along.

You know, they need to make either a Curling or a Hockey anime, then I can just get invested based on the sport alone. lol

Maybe make an anime adaptation of Pride. :p
It is kind of a shame that there isn't a hockey anime; the sport would be a great fit for action scenes on the ice.

Steroyd

This man knows whats up

why don't you post in the Footy-thread dude?

When the mass emigration of the old gen footygaf happened I took refuge in the then budding animegaf.

Plus watching Liverpool play well yet lose being the schtick, makes me want to hurt myself. T_T

Speaking of football.

Ginga e Kickoff - 31

Oh no everything is falling apart, kind of amusing that it took Reika for everyone to get their act together, now onward to the counterattack.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is kind of a shame that there isn't a hockey anime; the sport would be a great fit for action scenes on the ice.
Turn Crosby into a moe girl. lol

Although, there was that figure skating anime that had the Canadian hockey player ghost that haunted the girl... I can't remember what it was called though.

Shergal

Sword of the Stranger
...it's executed with such confidence and with such deftness that it's hard for me to remain too critical of it. What I mean to say is that the action in this film is really on another level..

This really nails it, I think. The film has a sort of power, and I think that comes from Ando and his team being really sure of what they were doing.

faridmon

Maybe the Championship League.

J5xHsK0.gif

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 19

Flashbacking was slightly better than DRAMAing. Not sure how I feel about this plot, it'll probably be cringeworthy drama and that'll be before they somehow manage to squeeze in some more DRAMA for the hell of it.

cajunator

Banned
Seriously though, Cwarrior has a MAL account compatibility of like 80% with me. Maybe Darkside's is higher but thats still two hilarious outcomes given the kind of anime I like.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
These are the days that I wish Hito were still an admin so that he could still force moe avatars onto people.

Come to think of it, cwarrior actually did have a forced Tokyo Mew Mew avatar for a while. No idea how he got out of it since he's only become increasingly deranged on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom