• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Duckroll tells me to watch Tamako Market. Watches first episode. First reaction: this is sure is some anime ass anime. Second reaction: I think I misjudged this, its going well. Third reaction: yep, I'm watching this. Damn you, Duckroll.

Should've watched Fate/Zero instead.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For the benefit of London-AniGaf, RE:Cyborg009 is on at the BFI on the 4th of April - a bloody Thursday, meaning that there's very little chance that I'd actually be able to make it.

Kamiyama is going to be there to do a QA session as well...
Urgh. I've just taken a bunch of leave before then because it's the end of the financial year so I need to use it up so I don't lose it, but I can't exactly ask for more considering I was meant to be back that week.

BluWacky

Urgh. I've just taken a bunch of leave before then because it's the end of the financial year so I need to use it up so I don't lose it, but I can't exactly ask for more considering I was meant to be back that week.

It's at 8:20 in the evening - you could just go after work?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh it is. Well then that's different. And I have Friday off so I don't have to worry about a late night.

Gintama' 262

ZpSslQp.jpg
hqc08gu.jpg

Keeping that dream alive.

Shergal

Would be cool, but that is certainly part of a long running speculation I've seen since Mr. Ishidate's absence (or Ms. Horiguchi's as well, as another example of important key staff missing) for most part of the Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date! production (later he handled the final episode of it and shattered some of those wishful thoughts in the process). I want to believe, but maybe they just like to use him on little doses each time!

Well, they are taking a one-season break, so even if he shows up it wouldn't be definitive. Another thing I was seeing yesterday is that Chise Kamoi, the would-be character designer for Kyoukai no Kanata since she illustrated the LN and designed the PV characters, is also almost missing from Tamako Market. She only did KA in episodes 1-2, and returned at the bottom of the list for episode 8; she wasn't sakkan for any episode, which is strange considering that she has been an animation director since Nichijou and would probably appear more frequently since she's young and fired up lol.

Duckroll tells me to watch Tamako Market. Watches first episode. First reaction: this is sure is some anime ass anime. Second reaction: I think I misjudged this, its going well. Third reaction: yep, I'm watching this. Damn you, Duckroll.

Yes!
Also, I want to see duckroll's thoughts on the latest episode.

OceanBlue

And here's the English source corroboration.

I heard the visual novel was pretty good, so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

Edit: Speaking of Tamako Market, since no one has posted this yet, I'll do the honors:

ultimatemegax said:
Episode 10-12 staff credits are out:

Episode 10:
Script: Michiko Yokote
Director/Storyboards: Taiichi Ogawa
Animation Director: Nobuaki Maruki

Episode 11:
Script: Reiko Yoshida
Director: Noriyuki Kitanohara
Storyboards: Naoko Yamada
Animation Director: Shouko Ikeda

Episode 12:
Script: Reiko Yoshida
Director/Storyboards: Tatsuya Ishihara
Animation Director: Kazumi Ikeda

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4581096&postcount=1231

/XX/

It really, really pleases me how this episode 9 was oriented as a remembrance of past (and the future) of love without overbearing or a bit cloudy sentimentalism on sight, just light and joyful sweetness. Very nice!

Another thing I was seeing yesterday is that Chise Kamoi, the would-be character designer for Kyoukai no Kanata since she illustrated the LN and designed the PV characters, is also almost missing from Tamako Market. She only did KA in episodes 1-2, and returned at the bottom of the list for episode 8; she wasn't sakkan for any episode, which is strange considering that she has been an animation director since Nichijou and would probably appear more frequently since she's young and fired up lol.
I like what you are saying, Shergal... but I still don't want to get my hopes up this early, man!

Jex

If you were actually an anime fan you wouldn't have a job.

How would else does an anime fan pay for all their merch? They can't all live the NEET lifestyle! I'm pretty sure it's okay as long as you don't have any kind of life outside work and anime.

Jex

So I've been listening to a lot of Dynaime in the Brain lately and while I wouldn't necessarily tell people to go out of their way to listen to it I've been finding it very enjoyable lately. While I don't feel that it's nearly as revelatory or informative as AWO I find the dynamic between the two hosts to be enjoyable because they have such different tastes. That's not a particularly great reason to endorse a show, I know, but you'd be surprised how many podcasts feature three hosts who never disagree about anything - which is very boring.

I also recommend checking out Brian's blog here: http://www.awesome-engine.com/

Hey fuckers, you know when I keep saying that CG is the future and you should open your eyes to the reality? Guess what? I was right.

Perhaps theyd make more money in 2d animation if they stopped churning out sequel after sequel of quality lacking titles like Toy story and Monster's etc and actually spent that amount of money innovating and making really good stories for that medium.

Novid

Banned
Perhaps theyd make more money in 2d animation if they stopped churning out sequel after sequel of quality lacking titles like Toy story and Monster's etc and actually spent that amount of money innovating and making really good stories for that medium.

The Simpsons Proved as well. The joke is on everybody else because Disney has five of the 10 top VFX studios under their banner. It just makes the whole VFX issues with outsourcing and what not even fucking worse in retrospect.

duckroll

It's pretty much true across the board though. 2D animation simply isn't as appreciated or profitable compared to 3D animation. Facts my friend. We should all give up our delusions of how great hand drawn animation is when the reality is the the world doesn't give a fuck.

Looks at Blood-C for example. The TV series has no CG, lots of hand drawn fights, hand drawn monsters, good direction. It sells like 1k per volume. The Blood-C movie is a miserable pile of trash, with tons of awful CG everywhere, but yet people are so enthralled by the extra dimension that it sells several times what the series did, even with worse direction.

Let's close the 2D industry down for good. No point wasting everyone's time and effort on low wages to release stuff no one really wants.

Novid

Banned
It's pretty much true across the board though. 2D animation simply isn't as appreciated or profitable compared to 3D animation. Facts my friend. We should all give up our delusions of how great hand drawn animation is when the reality is the the world doesn't give a fuck.

Looks at Blood-C for example. The TV series has no CG, lots of hand drawn fights, hand drawn monsters, good direction. It sells like 1k per volume. The Blood-C movie is a miserable pile of trash, with tons of awful CG everywhere, but yet people are so enthralled by the extra dimension that it sells several times what the series did, even with worse direction.

Let's close the 2D industry down for good. No point wasting everyone's time and effort on low wages to release stuff no one really wants.

Really? Not until this problem concerning VFX is fixed. Period. And Japan has shit for brains VFX and CGI outside of one company. They already doing the same shit with 3D CGI animation (see Green Lantern) that they have done for years in 2D. I keep saying it. They have a marketing PROBLEM not a tool problem.

Branduil

Several times what the TV series sold is still bad, LOL.

kayos90

I guess you could explain part of the success with Clone Wars with CG. It's one of the most popular TV series in America and I think part of that is contributed to the CG style.

Jex

QaX2W.gif

cajunator

Banned
Heartcatch Precure 01

This feels quite different from Futari Wa Precure. Stylistically I'm not sure if I like it that much, although the facial expressions are quite a lot of fun. Reminds me of Princess Tutu sort of. The girls in their normal state look alright but are very much improved as Precures.
Musically I like it very much, and the transformation music is definitely my second favorite (after Suite). Tsubomi is adorably shy and Erika is brash and loud, so I guess I personally empathize with her the most, at least so far. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Desertrians yet, uttering all those negative feeling things. It gives off a weird vibe. The perfume transformation device is pretty funny. This show is not bashful about marketing to girls at all whatsoever. Mascot wise, Coffret/Chypre>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mepple/Mipple. By a good god damned country mile.

Novid

Banned
I guess you could explain part of the success with Clone Wars with CG. It's one of the most popular TV series in America and I think part of that is contributed to the CG style.

Its Star Wars. Period. It would have sold either way. Its the name brand not the animation its wrapped in.

Shergal

Well, Paperman was very well-received...

Novid

Banned
Well, Paperman was very well-received...

Paperman is half way solution to a problem that Disney doesn't have. You talking about one company who has all the best VFX and CGI people in the fucking planet. Of course they gonna quit on there bread and butter business.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Heartcatch Precure 01

This feels quite different from Futari Wa Precure. Stylistically I'm not sure if I like it that much, although the facial expressions are quite a lot of fun. Reminds me of Princess Tutu sort of. The girls in their normal state look alright but are very much improved as Precures.
Musically I like it very much, and the transformation music is definitely my second favorite (after Suite). Tsubomi is adorably shy and Erika is brash and loud, so I guess I personally empathize with her the most, at least so far. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Desertrians yet, uttering all those negative feeling things. It gives off a weird vibe. The perfume transformation device is pretty funny. This show is not bashful about marketing to girls at all whatsoever. Mascot wise, Coffret/Chypre>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mepple/Mipple. By a good god damned country mile.

I hope Porun is at the very far right of that list.

kayos90

Its Star Wars. Period. It would have sold either way. Its the name brand not the animation its wrapped in.

I'm not saying that the SW license didn't have a part in the success. I'm saying that the CG might've had greater appeal to the audience than traditional 2D animation style.

Shergal

Paperman is half way solution to a problem that Disney doesn't have. You talking about one company who has all the best VFX and CGI people in the fucking planet. Of course they gonna quit on there bread and butter business.

I was talking more about the audience than the creators... Disney can fuck themselves for all I care, I'm tired of them be it 2D or 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom