• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hey fuckers, you know when I keep saying that CG is the future and you should open your eyes to the reality? Guess what? I was right.

Disney hasn't made a good animated film since Emperor's New Groove so no big loss. Now the mediocrity of their films' content will at least be accurately represented by the visuals.

Jex

[Windy Tales] - 5 to 9

It's quite difficult to describe this series to someone who hasn't seen it, or even to put into words what it's about once you have seen it.Windy Tales is often described as a slice of slice work - a show about nothing but the mundanity of being a teenager in Japan, albeit with a little dash of magic in that numerous characters have the ability to manipulate in the wind. I disagree with this lazy assessment of the series, although it's easy to see why so many people label the series thusly. After all, in the world of anime and manga any work which starts teenagers in high school, doesn't feature a central plot and isn't a comedy/romance is often a slice of life series. This isn't the case here. Windy Tales isn't nearly as aimless as those works, despite how it comes across at first blush. Yet, just because a work doesn't fit into one of the most common genres doesn't mean we should just shove it into the irregularly shaped box known as 'slice of life'. I feel this is a bad habit that one acquires when one has watched too much anime because so many shows do fall so predictably into one genre or another.

Windy Tales should best be thought of as a series of short stories which feature the wind as their motif. These stories generally do have some point to them beyond simply being a narrative experience, which is what differentiates it slightly from other slice of life works. Episode five, for example, is a story about Nao and Ryouko discovering some kids who can manipulate the wind. However, you don't have to have a degree in English Literature to understand that the core theme being explored by the story is that transition from childhood to adulthood and all the associated loss that brings.

The difference between Windy Tales and other works which tend to explore these kinds of ideas is that that Windy Tales tends to be a far more nuanced and subtle work. To bring out an example from this backlog season, Hatakari Main (which I am not watching, too my great shame) tells a number of one-off stories that are clearly meant to tell the audience something about a particular area of life but it's a far blunter show which is unfortuante because it leaves the audience with the impression that the show doesn't trust them. After all, if the show trusted the audience surely they wouldn't have to lay it on so thick? Windy Tales never lays it on quite like that, even when the idea being explored in the episode is discussed very explicitly. For example, episode nine is entirely devoted to Nao's father buying and riding a motorcycle. Now, a lesser show would focus exclusively on the conflict between Nao's parents, or it would look at men having a mid-life crisis or the dangers of riding. On the other hand, this episode of Windy Tales seeks to explore everything involved with owning a motorcycle: the good and the bad, the way the world looks when you're cruising on your bike, the danger of getting on one in the first place but it doesn't single out a particular area. It's a cohesive story because it isn't overly concerned with a single element.

Now, I don't know how well any of these stories would work if not for the talent involved in directing these episodes. Despite the fact that this work can't have had any kind of audience and presumably in the face of poor ratings/sales the quality of the series remains fantastic. I really struggle to find a bad cut, improper angle, awkward character exchange or whatever that would normally bug me. It's an amazingly well made show throughout, not only in terms of cinematography but in terms of layout and script and.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Okay so quick question regarding Revolutionary Girl Utena episode 15 (that's the Kozue one): WHAT THE FUCK are the Shadow Girls talking about?
It's the sketch with the train passenger being driven mad by the food trolley with its hot coffees, sandwiches, and cold beer. Utena ends the sketch by suggesting the passenger to ignore it. Is it telling me I should ignore it too?
Is Ikuhara trolling me?

Edit: I just thought that maybe it refers to Utena's
inability to stop responding to the duel requests,
but I'm not satisfied with that conclusion.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Disney hasn't made a good animated film since Emperor's New Groove so no big loss. Now the mediocrity of their films' content will at least be accurately represented by the visuals.

We're talking about 2D animation right? Cuz I agree if so. Otherwise Tangled would like to have a talk with you.

CorvoSol

Rin-Ne no Lagrange S2 11

Wow, that was an awesome episode. We finally find out what the bad guy's been up to. We have the ye olde moment of realization of important new strength underwater bit, some freaking awesome mecha fight going down, and some great music and colorful visuals to wash it down.

This is a really good show, I'm glad I stuck around for Season 2.

BluWacky

Okay so quick question regarding Revolutionary Girl Utena episode 15 (that's the Kozue one): WHAT THE FUCK are the Shadow Girls talking about?
It's the sketch with the train passenger being driven mad by the food trolley with its hot coffees, sandwiches, and cold beer. Utena ends the sketch by suggesting the passenger to ignore it. Is it telling me I should ignore it too?
Is Ikuhara trolling me?

Edit: I just thought that maybe it refers to Utena's
inability to stop responding to the duel requests,
but I'm not satisfied with that conclusion.

I think you're thinking about the wrong person.

The Shadow Girls are talking about Kozue and how she feels about Miki. Miki is the food trolley, C-ko is Kozue.

C-ko insists she doesn't want the food repeatedly - but then, all along, she did. Which is exactly how Kozue treats Miki - she's an absolute bitch to him because secretly he's the most important person in her life.

When C-ko says "I'm supposed to be the only one in this carriage" she's referring to Anthy stealing Miki's affections - this is basically what Kozue says to Mikage when she's in the elevator.

You can take Utena's advice as a joke (because Utena is too dense to get the metaphor) or as sound judgement - if Kozue could stop focusing so much on Miki then she'd be a happier person.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think you're thinking about the wrong person.

The Shadow Girls are talking about Kozue and how she feels about Miki. Miki is the food trolley, C-ko is Kozue.

C-ko insists she doesn't want the food repeatedly - but then, all along, she did. Which is exactly how Kozue treats Miki - she's an absolute bitch to him because secretly he's the most important person in her life.

When C-ko says "I'm supposed to be the only one in this carriage" she's referring to Anthy stealing Miki's affections - this is basically what she says to Mikage when she's in the elevator.

You can take Utena's advice as a joke (because Utena is too dense to get the metaphor) or as sound judgement - if Kozue could stop focusing so much on Miki then she'd be a happier person.
Thank you, my soul feels at peace now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I actually embraced our CGI futures by watching Resident Evil Damnation earlier today. The president was hot.

Syrinx

Futari wa Pretty Cure 12

So this new villain started off well enough. She sets up a chocolate stand to take Mepple from Nagisa without realizing it. But then that thing she did to Honoka was just stupid. Come on, can't you come up with something simple like you did with Nagisa? And come on Honoka, how could you not tell shit was fucked up? Luckily for her, Grandma of all people saves the day. Not only that, she also seems to be pretty important. She withstood all of the lady's attacks. And now she knows Nagisa and Honoka are Pretty Cure. I suppose having somebody you're close to knowing your secret identity is better than having your enemies know them. And Grandma seems pretty important, like I said.

cajunator

Banned
Hey I like the big dude. He was a lovable oaf.

I like his oafishness it was charming. but I mean he's not a very good villain.

Futari wa Pretty Cure 12

So this new villain started off well enough. She sets up a chocolate stand to take Mepple from Nagisa without realizing it. But then that thing she did to Honoka was just stupid. Come on, can't you come up with something simple like you did with Nagisa? And come on Honoka, how could you not tell shit was fucked up? Luckily for her, Grandma of all people saves the day. Not only that, she also seems to be pretty important. She withstood all of the lady's attacks. And now she knows Nagisa and Honoka are Pretty Cure. I suppose having somebody you're close to knowing your secret identity is better than having your enemies know them. And Grandma seems pretty important, like I said.

Grandma is pretty awesome yeah.

cajunator

Banned
also Syrinx, what do you think of the transformation music? One of my favorites in the Precure series. Classic and beautiful and exciting.

cajunator

Banned
Bahahaha. Wonder if people are gonna look at it and think you were the one who made that post.

I quite like it. It's my favorite Precure transformation song (note: also the only one.).

Here's all of the music.
I havent watched much besides futari Wa Precure so far but I definitely have favorite music.
Choose your favorite from those :D

CorvoSol

The 08th MS Team 11

So the show ends in a rather predictable, if enjoyable way. What's that, one more episode? Oh, okay . . . anyway, this has been a good show so far. Not anything I'd write home about and frankly Shiro and Aina are like, world's least interesting mecha couple, but it is a solid real robot experience, even if the final boss is a Mobile Armor.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My current tag.

... what.

It's kind of shitty that something like this can happen to a well-spoken, rational poster just because a mod (presumably) looks down on your personal interests. I've read a lot of your posts on Gaming Side and you've never, ever come off as some kind of raging weeb who presumes to know everything about Japan because he's played some JRPGs.

neogaf.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did something memorable occur while I was asleep?
No idea. I haven't really spent time on GAF this evening. My comment was in reference to that loli thread from a while back that managed to cling on to life far too long.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's kind of shitty that something like this can happen to a well-spoken, rational poster just because a mod (presumably) looks down on your personal interests. I've read a lot of your posts on Gaming Side and you've never, ever come off as some kind of raging weeb who presumes to know everything about Japan.

neogaf.gif
Another reason why nobody should ever venture outside the shell of AnimeGAF!

Did something memorable occur while I was asleep?
I'm pretty sure not. That's a reference to the old 'lolis in video games' thread that has been famous for over a week now.

I'm pretty sure my tag is a sarcastic reaction to my post about how an anime or game out of Japan having sexual content doesn't necessarily mean it is intended for otaku rather than children. And I haven't been around GAF that long, but it appears that people preemptively make fun of "Japanese culture has this" posts. Like I remember seeing someone responding to a jRPG or something thread with a first post of making fun of labeling Japanese culture as having shame more prominently than the West.

I don't know where the meme comes from, but I am guess that there's so much "Japanese culture is one of SHAME. SHAME. It's NOT the same are your Western culture!" around the internet that it has become kind of predictable and annoying for some people. Especially since a lot of these claims aren't well quantified and are often simply used to exotify Asian culture.

I don't really consider myself much of an expert on Japanese culture really. But by process of elimination it just seems more likely that in Japan thinks that sexual content is more appropriate for minors than the United States does, given that so much television for children in Japan like Pokemon, Ojamajo Doremi, and particularly Naruto for older children contain it. I could be wrong, but it is my best hypothesis. Having seen a lot of both American and Japanese television for children it certainly seems like Japanese children's television is more sexualized. That doesn't make me think I'm an expert on Japanese culture, just someone who notices little cultural differences when consuming media from different cultures.

But I am guess that saying that aloud, or typing it, whatever, here on GAF makes me sound kind of annoying when most users here are probably sick of "Japanese culture is this" angles of argument without self awareness or irony.

But I'm pretty sure that wherever I got this tag from, it was a mod responding humorously to my posts in the "loli" thread or one sparking similar discussion to it.

BluWacky

I'm pretty sure not. That's a reference to the old 'lolis in video games' thread that has been famous for over a week now.

I'm pretty sure my tag is a sarcastic reaction to my post about how an anime or game out of Japan having sexual content doesn't necessarily mean it is intended for otaku rather than children. And I haven't been around GAF that long, but it appears that people preemptively make fun of "Japanese culture has this" posts. Like I remember seeing someone responding to a jRPG or something thread with a first post of making fun of labeling Japanese culture as having shame more prominently than the West.

The meme comes from an extremely memorable post in a GAF thread when Final Fantasy XIII was announced to be coming to the 360. The user in question still posts, apparently!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I don't know where the meme comes from, but I am guess that there's so much "Japanese culture is one of SHAME. SHAME. It's NOT the same are your Western culture!" around the internet that it has become kind of predictable and annoying for some people. Especially since a lot of these claims aren't well quantified and are often simply used to exotify Asian culture.

Looks like you're not familiar with the Square just shot themselves in the foot meme, which has pretty much ensured that no one can claim even the slightest knowledge of Japanese culture without being mocked and disregarded out of hand.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rin-Ne no Lagrange S2 11

Wow, that was an awesome episode. We finally find out what the bad guy's been up to. We have the ye olde moment of realization of important new strength underwater bit, some freaking awesome mecha fight going down, and some great music and colorful visuals to wash it down.

Glad you're enjoying it! :)

Rin-Ne no Lagrange S2 11

Another person to join the (assumingly) small number of people who liked Rinne S2. MARU.

jbug617

Banned
NISA announced today that they are release "Everyday Tales of a Cat God" aka Nekogami Yaoyorozu in June. It's a Premium set on Bluray that contains 12 episodes, 1 OVA and 7 mini episodes.

tIbM6pS.jpg

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/7FmNb6nRxgLJrhNNfR/browse/item/97824/4/0/0

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know, duckroll can't tag, but he can ask Gromph or another admin to do it. I'm surprised that he doesn't exercise this option; it's good motivation for new members to try to excel! (or "excel" more likely)

duckroll

I love it when people post huge paragraphs complaining about their tags. Says a lot about the person!

You know, duckroll can't tag, but he can ask Gromph or another admin to do it. I'm surprised that he doesn't exercise this option; it's good motivation for new members to try to excel! (or "excel" more likely)

I tag people all the time. They don't usually like it though, and they can't complain about it as long as that tag is active! That's the only tag I ever want to give.

The meme comes from an extremely memorable post in a GAF thread when Final Fantasy XIII was announced to be coming to the 360. The user in question still posts, apparently!
Looks like you're not familiar with the Square just shot themselves in the foot meme, which has pretty much ensured that no one can claim even the slightest knowledge of Japanese culture without being mocked and disregarded out of hand.
Well there we go.

Now my tag seems a little more like the result of general silliness possibly, than a GAF faux pas on my part.

I said faux pas. Clearly I am an expert on French culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom