• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

So I take it Vividred 9 was low-quality filler?

2k9O19w.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
That you only now got around to watching it makes me sad somehow, even if I couldn't do anything when I had the chance. lol
Well, I'd actually watched the Student Council and Black Rose arcs something like 8 years ago on the old CPM DVDs. My friend (the dude who went by Kaworu17 on IRC) had not watched the last set of DVDs, and they were still sealed, so we planned on watching it together. We sorta fell out of touch, and he watched it without me. My wife really wanted me to watch it, but we couldn't afford the CPM DVDs. Once we heard about the Nozomi re-release, we ordered them but just hadn't sat down to watch it until now. If it makes you feel better, I watched it in like 3 sittings, lol. Oh and I liked it enough that I sort of want to buy the Japanese Blu-Ray release.

Now, I just need to try to work my way through Sailor Moon.

Defuser

Gintama fans will love this :lol

Apparently when the Gintama movie got delayed from Spring to Summer, the production decided to continue the anime into the Spring season as well. They, however, got shot down by TV Tokyo because they had already allotted the timeslot to something else. As such, Gintama the anime will end this March.

I do like this. Give Gintama a break to build up more material then do another season of over 50 new episodes. I don't like having reruns inbetween, it gets pretty annoying.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, I'd actually watched the Student Council and Black Rose arcs something like 8 years ago on the old CPM DVDs. My friend (the dude who went by Kaworu17 on IRC) had not watched the last set of DVDs, and they were still sealed, so we planned on watching it together. We sorta fell out of touch, and he watched it without me. My wife really wanted me to watch it, but we couldn't afford the CPM DVDs. Once we heard about the Nozomi re-release, we ordered them but just hadn't sat down to watch it until now. If it makes you feel better, I watched it in like 3 sittings, lol. Oh and I liked it enough that I sort of want to buy the Japanese Blu-Ray release.

Now, I just need to try to work my way through Sailor Moon.
Utena = Sailor Moon + Oniisama e
Sailor Moon = Sailor Moon manga + Goldfish Warning + general Satou/Ikuhara
Oniisama e = Ace o Nerae + Rose of Versailles

All are pretty good.

Has anyone here seen Eat-Man? I realize that it's by Studio Deen (I know) and the Bee Train guy (I KNOW), but I saw it offhandedly praised the other day and that raised my curiosity because I feel like I've never heard of it before - though, given the "talent" behind it, it is perfectly possible that I merely blocked its existence out of my mind. Plus, the wikipedia description makes it at least sound like the kind of thing I would dig.

If it didn't have that ugly-as-sin late 90s-style of character design I would be all. over. it.

I liked the manga a lot. Some of the craziest, massive weapon designs I've seen. Got no idea about the anime though.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 28

So the girl Juri is in love with was able to hear the car as well. Interesting, it's not exclusive to duelists. But she was the "bride" of the returning captain of the fencing team, who is a duelist. They ride together in the back of the car and have hot sex on the way to see End of the World. Interesting that Akio doesn't seem to be the least bit bothered. Utena defeats him in the duel, as expected, no worries there.

So about the car; here's what I've gathered so far:

-Akio drives it.
-Touga leads people to it.
-You can only hear it if you're soul truly hasn't given up.
-Not exclusive to duelists, but probably involves people involved with the duelists.
-It takes people to see End of the World.
-People who challenge Utena to duel with them show up to the Rose Garden in the car.
-People's sexuality tends to...bloom inside the car.
-Cars appear all across the dueling arena, as well as the duelist and his bride showing up in the car.
-The bride sits in the moving car as the duel goes on (I don't remember Saoinji having a "bride" though).
-The car crashes when Utena wins the duel.

So...not sure what it all means yet. However, one theory that has been in the back of my mind is that the show is something about growing up and the passage into adulthood. What stuck out to me about this episode in particular was Ruka (or whatever his name was, the dueling captain) telling whats-her-face that she was an adult now, and they could grasp the whole world together...or something like that, before having hot sex in the car. Those weird girls behind that curtain seem to have this as a constant theme in their performances as well.

Next episode is a Juri episode, which is good for me, because, to me, Juri is a very interesting character. Between Shiori's performance in the Black Rose saga and Ruka here, the people close to her in her life seem to get some weird enjoyment out of hurting her. That smirk Ruka gave her as he was kissing up Shiori was indicative of this on his part. So her coldness and cynicism almost seem justified by the way she's treated by the people close to her. Interested to see how this'll play out next episode.

Narag

Finally home. Where's the link to the survey? Also TRSI sent me a blood-c postcard!!

I tag people all the time. They don't usually like it though, and they can't complain about it as long as that tag is active! That's the only tag I ever want to give.

Did you ever give cwarrior his tag?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Revolutionary Girl Utena 28

So the girl Juri is in love with was able to hear the car as well. Interesting, it's not exclusive to duelists. But she was the "bride" of the returning captain of the fencing team, who is a duelist. They ride together in the back of the car and have hot sex on the way to see End of the World. Interesting that Akio doesn't seem to be the least bit bothered. Utena defeats him in the duel, as expected, no worries there.

So about the car; here's what I've gathered so far:

-Akio drives it.
-Touga leads people to it.
-You can only hear it if you're soul truly hasn't given up.
-Not exclusive to duelists, but probably involves people involved with the duelists.
-It takes people to see End of the World.
-People who challenge Utena to duel with them show up to the Rose Garden in the car.
-People's sexuality tends to...bloom inside the car.
-Cars appear all across the dueling arena, as well as the duelist and his bride showing up in the car.
-The bride sits in the moving car as the duel goes on (I don't remember Saoinji having a "bride" though).
-The car crashes when Utena wins the duel.

So...not sure what it all means yet. However, one theory that has been in the back of my mind is that the show is something about growing up and the passage into adulthood. What stuck out to me about this episode in particular was Ruka (or whatever his name was, the dueling captain) telling whats-her-face that she was an adult now, and they could grasp the whole world together...or something like that, before having hot sex in the car. Those weird girls behind that curtain seem to have this as a constant theme in their performances as well.

Next episode is a Juri episode, which is good for me, because, to me, Juri is a very interesting character. Between Shiori's performance in the Black Rose saga and Ruka here, the people close to her in her life seem to get some weird enjoyment out of hurting her. That smirk Ruka gave her as he was kissing up Shiori was indicative of this on his part. So her coldness and cynicism almost seem justified by the way she's treated by the people close to her. Interested to see how this'll play out next episode.
CitizenKaneClap.gif

cajunator

Banned
Right, but not everyone is ok with being thought of as a weirdo pervert by the people they're going to be stuck working with for a half dozen years.

The folks at work have seen me eat bugs and lie on the floor and dance on my chair.
I think this would just be seen as normal behavior at this point.

Right -- Funi has streaming rights to both, but only home video for the first season at the moment. I'm sure they'll pick up the additional rights to NEXT at some point in the future though.

I dont see it available to preorder yet unfortunately.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Utena = Sailor Moon + Oniisama e
Sailor Moon = Sailor Moon manga + Goldfish Warning + general Satou/Ikuhara
Oniisama e = Ace o Nerae + Rose of Versailles

All are pretty good.
My partner (I'm just going to use J from now on, it's easier) loves Sailor Moon and has watched and loved Oniisama e. We're definitely buying the Rose of Versailles sets, and I want to watch Oniisama e. I'm hoping that Nozomi releases it after Versailles since Viki also did it.

I'm excited to watch the new SM series this summer. I hope someone hurries up and rescues it and gives us decent DVDs of it though.

Been watching the Korean dub of Aria: The Animation to practice my language skills, so I'm only understanding about 60% of it, but I'm enjoying it so far. Although the dialogue can be sort of, um . . . like I've seen harsher words on Barney & Friends for chrissake.

Fav character's Aika although the show's trying its hardest not to make it so :(

this cajun guy here reminds me of akari-chan ^_^

Jarmel

Banned
Zetsuen 20-

This is one of those rare cases where something is well thought out but not necessarily well written. Oh and

cr_04009_01_v6.jpg

I earned this.

Robotics;Notes 20
tumblr_mjbqh5BVfK1qk6z3co1_500.jpg
tumblr_mjbqh5BVfK1qk6z3co2_500.jpg

Really funny episode with a nice touch of suspense and emotional
power of friendship teamwork and uniting
, needed more Kai moments, and Subaru too but overall definitely set us things up for a big end I think. Really liked the final few minutes there.

unbelievable that sister has been under control this whole time, I guess that explains her limited contact with the two, hope Kai can save her and everyone and stop these mini blackholes

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
How many people in here are going to AX? Or thinking about it? I want to like... try to force myself into social interactions there.

cajunator

Banned
How many people in here are going to AX? Or thinking about it? I want to like... try to force myself into social interactions there.

man I would go if I had time and lived closer to it.
One of these years maybe I can attend one in Texas and meet a few of yall.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
man I would go if I had time and lived closer to it.
One of these years maybe I can attend one in Texas and meet a few of yall.
The time I have, but I'm not close. I'm having to fly from North Dakota. Thanks to my going back to school I have a large tax refund and I should receive a sizable bonus from work. This combined with the fact that J & I haven't had a serious vacation ever meant we're going to just say hell with it and go for it this year.

Mature

I'll probably be going. Been going since 2004. I live in Orange County, so it's only about an hour from me. I'm the wrong person to talk to about social interactions though. Haha. Not to say I'm anti-social, just not active-social. Or something.

Jarmel

Banned

Depends on who the guests are. I went last year despite living in NYC. I even stayed at that hotel where they found the dead body recently.

CorvoSol

Rin-Ne No Lagrange S2 Final

Goodbye, my pretty little show. It's hard to say what I liked most about this show. It was colorful, the music was pretty, the characters endearing, the plot entertaining and the overall message upbeat. In fact, I think that's what I liked most: everything was upbeat, in spite of the moral ambiguity of a great number of situations. So often shows, particularly mecha, seem bogged down by their wish to tell a compelling war story that they instead become a pretentious, posturing tale that isn't worth watching at all. It was a bit sad to see two chief problems just kind of handwaved away in the finale of this show, though.

Ah, well, it was still a great show and I'm sad it is over. Here's hoping I get to relive it all in a SRW game someday.

cajunator

Banned
I'll probably be going. Been going since 2004. I live in Orange County, so it's only about an hour from me. I'm the wrong person to talk to about social interactions though. Haha. Not to say I'm anti-social, just not active-social. Or something.

Im super social at those conventions.
Its kind of weird because when I was younger I was extremely shy.
wouldnt even look someone in the eyes.
now Im all genki and stuff.

Goodbye, my pretty little show. It's hard to say what I liked most about this show. It was colorful, the music was pretty, the characters endearing, the plot entertaining and the overall message upbeat. In fact, I think that's what I liked most: everything was upbeat, in spite of the moral ambiguity of a great number of situations. So often shows, particularly mecha, seem bogged down by their wish to tell a compelling war story that they instead become a pretentious, posturing tale that isn't worth watching at all. It was a bit sad to see two chief problems just kind of handwaved away in the finale of this show, though.

Ah, well, it was still a great show and I'm sad it is over. Here's hoping I get to relive it all in a SRW game someday.
Yeah, that's what I like about the show too. That and the music.
Didn't realize that was so short. Might have to check it out.
I might have to as well. For uh, reasons...

Articalys

YES

KIMI NO IRU MACHI

TV ANIME

BY GONZO
Director: Shigeyasu Yamauchi (Casshern Sins)
Series Composition: Reiko Yoshida (K-On, Tamako Market, come on you should know who she is by now)
Character Design: Terumi Nishii (Mawaru Penguindrum)

(src)

Shergal

Hyouka 10 (Rewatch)

Okay, this episode was good as well. Still not feeling this second arc as much as the first.

The beginning conversation was really good though, it had a clever use of the 180º rule and good storyboarding throughout. It felt very Takemoto, more so than anything in the show, so I wonder if he was involved correcting the storyboards for the episode or suggested it to the ED (Kazuya Sakamoto).
P6btuJV.jpg
fjvAHD4.jpg

For the first part of the exchange, it's all from one side and it maintains it like that. Pretty typical although there are some interesting camera angles. But once Irisu spells out the magical words...
OVw2Bul.jpg

Bam, total switch to the other side, complete with color palette change. This is the sort of overblown directing that makes Hyouka so nice at times, when the subject matter maybe isn't the most exciting thing in the world.
That was probably the highlight of the episode for me. The rest of the episode had some moments, but I wasn't too into what happened. The animation was kind of boring too, I'm surprised Ishidate did KA for this episode as I didn't spot any cut that seemed like him.

Now, the solution that Oreki presents to the mystery is fairly good and it turns production deficiencies into something meaningful, but it's pretty obvious that it's not what the writer intended. Aside from the stuff raised up in the next episode, it's said that she wasn't there for the filming, and so she couldn't have made sure all that stuff with the camera and flashlight was done correctly. If anyone else knew this, there would have been no issue in the first place.
This seems to me like the mystery was perfect for Chitanda, who normally focuses on the people involved and their motivations rather than on the events themselves. Pretty much everyone (and especially Oreki this episode) just looked at the film and tried to deduce the ending from there alone, without questioning their assumptions about Hongou's prowess or situation or trying to see it from her perspective.

I'm not having much to say about this set of episodes, they're fairly straightforward in all their facets so I don't think my input would give much light into anything. I still appreciate the continued spotlight on minor stuff, like that transition focusing on the school at large and students preparing for the festival (yet again), or the shot of the two girls looking at a clothes shop as Satoshi and Oreki talked.
It isn't helping that we're in the same old setting for all of this, and there's almost nothing to spice up the ambient.

Mature

While I'm not sure I'd like to see more war themed titles turn to a carefree tone in lieu of something more serious (and risking said pretentiousness) I do think that more people need to stop and eat a burger despite the genocide.

zeroshiki

YES

KIMI NO IRU MACHI

TV ANIME

BY GONZO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

つД`)・゚・。・゚゚・*:.。..。.:*・゚

EDIT: At least this PROBABLY rules Gonzo out for Silver Spoon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom