• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
clearly this show is not worthy of Honoka or Nagisas presence.
you liked Futari wa precure didn't you?

Yeah, I thought Futari wa was (mostly) solid. Max Heart guts it of all of its charm and personality, drops everyone's IQ 30 points, doubles down on the mascot and Garden of Light bullshit from the first season, and introduces a rigid episode formula that integrates the generic villains into each episode in the laziest way imaginable. I'm only watching it for the sake of personal knowledge, otherwise it's some truly putrid shit.

Defuser

Ookami Kodomo : Ame and Yuki

g1YVkoP.gif

Why can't I hold all these feels?

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, I thought Futari wa was (mostly) solid. Max Heart guts it of all of its charm and personality, drops everyone's IQ 30 points, doubles down on the mascot and Garden of Light bullshit from the first season, and introduces a rigid episode formula that integrates the generic villains into each episode in the laziest way imaginable. I'm only watching it for the sake of personal knowledge, otherwise it's some truly putrid shit.

sad to hear that given how strong the series started out.
Splashstar is apparently better.
have you watched that one?

dumbyugi

Heartcatch! Precure END

I didn't really like this all that much. There was some nice action in some episodes but that's about all I found good. I just couldn't get used to the character designs, though I did find some of the reaction faces fairly funny. This is very much a monster of the week show which wouldn't be too bad if the stories that went with them were better. The actual plot was pretty dull as well and I didn't really care for any of the characters. I can see why people might like it but if this is the best Precure has to offer then it's just not for me.

cajunator

Banned
Heartcatch! Precure END

I didn't really like this all that much. There was some nice action in some episodes but that's about all I found good. I just couldn't get used to the character designs, though I did find some of the reaction faces fairly funny. This is very much a monster of the week show which wouldn't be too bad if the stories that went with them were better. The actual plot was pretty dull as well and I didn't really care for any of the characters. I can see why people might like it but if this is the best Precure has to offer then it's just not for me.

it might not.
Precure is pretty much by the formula mahou shoujo.
do you like any other shows in this genre?

Kazzy

Tamako Market 09:

Damn, that ending hit me hard, even if the revelation was telegraphed lightyears in advance.

Proof, if needed, that it's all in the execution. And for all the saccharine content, KyoAni can pierce right through when needed. It was reminiscent of the tail-end of K-ON!!.
Probably what the erratic finale of Chuunibyou was aiming for too.

The record/cafe man is probably the most overtly melancholy of anyone in the district, but I'd still like to know more about his past outside of the band. Something had to turn him into a lonely eccentric.

He just seems satisfied now, spinning those records.

dumbyugi

it might not.
Precure is pretty much by the formula mahou shoujo.
do you like any other shows in this genre?

The Lyrical Nanoha franchise is one of my favourites. I also think Sailormoon is pretty alright. I like Strike Witches and Vividred as well but I don't know if they count as proper magical girl shows. I didn't really like Cardcaptor Sakura or the few episodes I've seen of Tokyo Mew Mew.

Shergal

When Tamako's father heard her he told her to be quiet which she was confused over. Did he never really hear her hum the song before? She seemed to be open enough about it, so you think he would have told her to stop other times he had heard her sing it and it would have come across as more of a song he appeared to not like. Maybe it happened before and I've simply forgotten.

He probably did hear her sing the song many times, seeing as he initially doesn't even react and only gives in to embarassment when the talk about the song is prolonged. He probably did tell Tamako something along the lines of "be quiet", or just left suddenly, and Tamako was probably confused about it many times, but she's not the type of person to actually look more into it or even associate it with the song.

The whole Mochi day events reminded the Dad of Tamako's mother and he started to sing the song. He never sang it again until all these years later until he heard Tamako? Again, it seemed like he would have heard her before and she would have had a chance to then hear him and find out about the song. I don't know, that part just came across as kind of strange to me with how it was done but maybe I'm forgetting something that was mentioned in an earlier episode.

This part is kind of tricky, but I took it as he never sings the song like he did this episode when Tamako heard him. He does spout some verses at the beginning of the episode and nothing happens in that instance. I think that for him to take his guitar and just start with the song as if nothing else mattered takes a very special occasion; the blocking when he enters the room seems to go with that too as it puts emphasis on Mamedai + the guitars, relegating everything else in the screen. There are also some other details that put weight into that day for him such as seeing the look-alike woman passing by and stuff.
For the sake of telling the story they had Tamako listen in just this exact one. Or rather, they told the tale of when Tamako actually heard her dad singing the song.

It's not a very solid explanation, but whatever I just wanted to talk about the episode lol. I can totally forgive any issue or disinterest I had with the Anko part just for that final stretch from when
Tamako interrupts her father
to the end of the episode. It was just so nice and earnest in all ways, and I loved that 80's family sitcom atmosphere the tune gave to the events.

wonzo

Banned
Chihayafuru S2 9

chihayas29.jpg

Ugh, they really didn't need to constantly flashback to that stuff like that, they could've easily pulled off the same thing far more effectively if they just let it all out at once. What a shame.

The official Biglobe poll for most anticipated Spring season show:

1) Railgun S
2) Oreimo S2
3) Hentai Ouji
4) Nyaruko S2
5) Uta no Prince-sama S2
6) Valvrave
7) Attack on Titan
8) Hayate no Gotoku
9) RDG
10) Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come

Full list at the link.
Biglobe strikes again.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Apparently this is TBS's international flyer for upcoming spring series Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected.) That's one hell of an "official" English title...

http://i.imgur.com/w6dNxdg.jpg

(It also confirms the show as one-cour, for what it's worth)

(via @WTK)
A swear word in the title? Such things should be banned before they corrupt the youth any further.

Defuser

1) Railgun S
2) Oreimo S2
3) Hentai Ouji
4) Nyaruko S2
5) Uta no Prince-sama S2
6) Valvrave
7) Attack on Titan
8) Hayate no Gotoku
9) RDG

Full list at the link.
Railgun 2, Oreimo 2, Valvrave, Shigeki no Kyojin, RDG, Nyaruko 2. Oh god, Spring is gonna be a fucking epic watch for me.

Kurita

Only watching Attack On Titan next season, looking forward to the
epic fight scene in the forest
animated.
I think there was a brief shot of it in the PV.

wonzo

Banned
Route 20: Galactic Airport Pilot Film (R20: Ginga Kuukou)

r20.png
r20a.png
r20b.png

A pilot film for an unmade Gainax anime that was planned to follow their first movie, Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise. However, Wings of Honneamise failed at the box office, and with the recent collapse of the Japanese asset price bubble, no company was willing to fund it.

A short manga by Sadamoto Yoshiyuki named Route 20 was derived from the original project and published some time later.
Source: AniDB

I remember watching this several years ago and reading the manga by Sadamoto (it wasn't bad!) almost immediately afterwards due to just how awesome this Pilot was. The various bits of absolutely stunning art used throughout the clip really do a great job of conveying this great sense of oppression and decay and the bits of animated footage definitely showed potential too. It also serves as a nice little music video to The Doors' Crystal Ship. A real shame nothing ever came of this outside of the earlier mentioned manga. :(

r20c.jpg
r20d.jpg
r20e.jpg

r20g.jpg
r20h.jpg
r20i.jpg

r20f.jpg
r20j.jpg
r20k.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The iDOLM@STER 22

Not bad. Kinda a nice, relaxing episode. Which I can only assume means that shit's about to get real here soon. Also, too much Miki.

cajunator

Banned
The Lyrical Nanoha franchise is one of my favourites. I also think Sailormoon is pretty alright. I like Strike Witches and Vividred as well but I don't know if they count as proper magical girl shows. I didn't really like Cardcaptor Sakura or the few episodes I've seen of Tokyo Mew Mew.

Nanoha is a whole lot of fun so no surprise there.
CCS and tokyo Mew Mew are more traditional mahou shoujo so perhaps you can't really get into the shows aimed at girls, which is understandable. Nanoha was definitely marketed as more of an action show. What did you think about Madoka Magica?

dumbyugi

Nanoha is a whole lot of fun so no surprise there.
CCS and tokyo Mew Mew are more traditional mahou shoujo so perhaps you can't really get into the shows aimed at girls, which is understandable. Nanoha was definitely marketed as more of an action show. What did you think about Madoka Magica?

I haven't seen Madoka yet. My sister is planning on buying it soon though so I'll watch it then. It seems that the more traditional magical girl shows just might not be for me.

cajunator

Banned
I haven't seen Madoka yet. My sister is planning on buying it soon though so I'll watch it then. It seems that the more traditional magical girl shows just might not be for me.

Yeah that definitely seems to be the case. You should like Madoka Magica because it decidedly NOT traditional. Its a much different type of show with a foundation of mahou shoujo but it does wildly different things from normal.
You would probably enjoy Magic Knight Rayearth too.

dumbyugi

Yeah that definitely seems to be the case. You should like Madoka Magica because it decidedly NOT traditional. Its a much different type of show with a foundation of mahou shoujo but it does wildly different things from normal.
You would probably enjoy Magic Knight Rayearth too.

I've heard lots of good things about Madoka so I'm looking foward to finally watching it. I'll check out Magic Knight Rayearth as well.

duckroll

There's something I noticed about the Valvrave CG action. It's kinda... slow. There's something about the motion and momentum I don't quite like, but what I do like is the detailing they do for the close-ups. Those look like they're 2D, similar to what is done on Yamato 2199.

Articalys

The remainder of the full Blu-ray weekly sales list, for February 25 - March 3 (first part of list here):
-- (***) --- *2,941 15,462 **2 Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken v2
-- (***) --- *2,908 19,454 **2 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II v6
-- (***) --- *2,669 *2,669 **1 Jormungand Perfect Order v3
-- (***) --- *2,512 *2,512 **1 Campione! v6
-- (***) --- *2,488 21,116 **2 Gekijouban Tiger & Bunny -The Beginning- LE
-- (***) --- *2,486 *2,486 **1 Magi v3
-- (***) --- *2,425 14,052 **2 Kuroko no Basuke v8
-- (***) --- *2,299 *2,299 **1 Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo v2
-- (***) --- *2,273 27,006 **2 Girls und Panzer v2
-- (***) --- *2,107 *2,107 **1 Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankenai yo ne v3
-- (***) --- *2,027 *2,027 **1 Kokoro Connect v5
-- (***) --- *1,582 *1,582 **1 Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! v6
-- (***) --- *1,518 *1,518 **1 Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica v6
-- (***) --- *1,419 *7,209 **2 Psycho-Pass v3
-- (***) --- *1,341 13,094 **2 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! v3
-- (***) --- *1,299 *1,299 **1 Hakuouki Reimeiroku v6
-- (***) --- *1,274 *1,274 **1 Robotics;Notes v2
-- (***) --- *1,255 *1,255 **1 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate v6
-- (***) --- *1,163 *8,000 **2 Hyouka v9
-- (***) --- **,975 **,975 **1 Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You v3
-- (***) --- **,927 **,927 **1 Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun v4
-- (***) --- **,827 *4,112 **2 Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse v6
-- (***) --- **,762 **,762 **1 Zetsuen no Tempest v2
-- (***) --- **,721 **,721 **1 Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu Utakoi. v6
-- (***) --- **,643 **,643 **1 Arcana Famiglia v6
-- (***) --- **,610 **,610 **1 Medaka Box Abnormal v2
-- (***) --- **,561 18,271 **5 Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken v1
-- (***) --- **,544 *5,554 **2 Yuru Yuri♪♪ v6
-- (***) --- **,484 *3,512 **2 Eureka Seven AO v9
-- (***) --- **,423 29,300 *11 Girls und Panzer v1
-- (***) --- **,418 *3,810 **2 Saki Achiga-hen episode of side-A v7
-- (***) --- **,339 *2,595 **2 Teekyuu Box
With this we also have another couple of per-volume total sales averages:

Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! -- 2,325 avg. across 6 volumes
Yuru Yuri♪♪ -- 7,289 avg. across 6 volumes

(via something)

cajunator

Banned
Its really amazing how much Girls Und Panzer sold, which leads me to ask why did that particular show hit the Otaku fanbase so hard?

Hmm... apparently the latest chapter of the Symphogear manga is teasing an announcement to come after the last episode of the rebroadcast that's currently airing. Perhaps a trailer for season 2?

They ought to introduce a male antagonist group for the symphogears, like I guess powerpuff girls had done (cant remember their names). No more ancient tower of babel stuff, please.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

1) Railgun S
2) Oreimo S2
3) Hentai Ouji
4) Nyaruko S2
5) Uta no Prince-sama S2
6) Valvrave
7) Attack on Titan
8) Hayate no Gotoku
9) RDG

Full list at the link.

Perfect list.

Railgun is so good. Girls being girls only works when you have a cast that isn't boring and said girls get into some fights and beat the shit out of people. Also needs some more yuri and 0% Index.

Articalys

These cuts in the Valvrave PV were pretty nice:
You know, I really like the thing in the third screen -- where a mecha's eyes gleam or whatever before they unleash a badass attack or pose (or immediately after one, same difference) -- even if it's a bit of a cliche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom