• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oho, so that upcoming Maken-Ki OAD is going to have a a bit of a staff shakeup from the TV series. Some of the new replacements are Hiraku Kaneko (Seikon no Qwaser, Manyuu Hikenchou) as director, and Akio Takami (Upotte, Ladies vs. Butlers, Kanokon) as character designer. Oh, and the new studio is Xebec. I guess that explains why they're promoting this as having more sex appeal and fanservice than the TV series (well, besides the fact that they can get away with more on a direct-to-video thing anyway)...

I can't be more hyped for this now. Not a single thing said here I don't like.

Hey Narag, I read the first few chapters of Black Company. Stopped when I realized I didn't remember ANYTHING that I just read. I need something that's fast-paced from the beginning with a more straightforward writing style, or I won't be able to retain anything and have to reread parts multiple times.

I appreciate the recommendation though.

Caught up on the thread a little.
When you said you liked Enders Game for its shounenness I had to think of The Name of the Wind.
Not sure if you have already tried it, as it gets recommended a lot.
It isn't very fast paced/action packed, but it is really very shounenish.
The parents of the maincharacter get killed by some evil ancient... ghosts (?) and he has to struggle on his own to survive and to unravel the mystery about the death of his parents, he swore to avenge.
Luckily, he is also a genius.

It is a pretty fun read.

Cuticle Detective Inaba 10

DLGUpJ1.jpg
QmXnjTL.jpg

This episode was all about the goats. Pretty funny first part and a decent second part. We're back to the random adventures and they are using pretty much most of the cast which is awesome.

sonicmj1

Look you can either believe Yugi is the luckiest bastard in the entire world or he was illegally stacking his deck like he was David Williams illegally marking and stacking Accumulated Knowledge at Worlds a decade ago.

When the protagonist in Zexal isn't turning cards into the cards he needs, he also stacks the top of his deck.

It's magical bullshit, so it's all okay.

Joe Molotov

Psycho-Pass 20

YES! Finally I could watch Akane do what I wanted her to do for a long while: nice detective work.

Didn't really seem like very good detective work to me.

"I wonder where Kogami went? Let's listen to this cassette tape he cleverly hid in the victim's gaping wound where he explains everything to find out!"

Narag

Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman 09:

Wow, that was really good. It's all finally coming together. Do we know if this is only a single cour? I'm kind of hoping it's not going to end just as it's getting good.

;______________________; fuck, tragedies all around

and lol, My Old Kentucky Home got censored even though you can hear gaijin guy saying the word.

Probably just a single, I'd think. Seems everything is set up to wrap up soon. Jump in quality is indeed such a nice surprise though.

sonicmj1

Psycho-Pass 20

Ehhh...

Certain scenes in this episode reminded me of scenes in later episodes of Fate/Zero. Except those scenes were justified in-universe and clear dialogue underpinning them, while this was kind of a self-indulgent version of a flashback.

It was nice to see Akane doing some actual work, but I sort of wish the way it played out wasn't so clearly tied to Kogami, both in the writing and the direction. Whatever; I'm just glad that she's being independently capable.

Was Makishima's grad-student interview with the agricultural scientist really enough for him to use the lab's computer systems to independently alter the virus? I'm not sure if I buy that.

I hope these last two episodes are satisfying.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke 09:

Is Rand Paul secretly an esper?

Fuck, they're not even trying to make this morally ambiguous anymore. Masked soldiers in body armor manhandling frightened children,
Andy going rogue and getting "executed" by his superiors
, one-dimensional evil government dudes in suits denying the humanity of espers, Kyousuke wistfully drawing parallels to his tragic past as he fights; not only is there no subtlety, but the entire situation is clearly framed in such a way that we're supposed to accept that PANDRA are the victims in this situation. We're in full-on stupid territory now.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Apparently this is TBS's international flyer for upcoming spring series Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. (My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected.) That's one hell of an "official" English title...

w6dNxdg.jpg

(It also confirms the show as one-cour, for what it's worth)

(via @WTK)

I will also watch this.

Yuyushiki, Aiura, and SNAFU. BRING ON THE HIGH SCHOOL SLICE OF LIFE/ROMCOMS. I WILL WATCH THEM ALL.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Haganai NEXT 08:

dramazzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ugh

also Yozora makes pet ownership sound like a luxury in Japan. That's kind of sad if true.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal 24

This episode was amazing in all the wrong ways.

The chaos monster looks as stupid as stupid comes. I also guess they'll keep using their cheating ways.

The protag turns Super Saiyan for whatever reason. And also becomes one of the Saint Seiyas.

He learns a new move, called Shining Draw. Yes, now even that whole top decking business is now a move, complete with its over the top movement.

:|

wonzo

Banned
Gyrozetter 20

gyro20.jpg

Y'know, a bunch of gags being intentionally unfunny doesn't make them any less unbearable (especially when it's Manzai) but I'm willing to forgive them considering they had MICHIE SPAWN MOUNT FUCKING EVEREST IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY AND OWN THE SHIT OUTTA THE BAD GUYS WITH IT. HOLY SHIT

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gyrozetter 20

Y'know, a bunch of gags being intentionally unfunny doesn't make them any les unbearable but I'm willing to forgive them considering they had MICHIE SPAWN MOUNT FUCKING EVEREST IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY AND OWN THE SHIT OUTTA THE BAD GUYS WITH IT. HOLY SHIT

welp time to start watching this

Jex

[Golgo 13]

The Duke never misses.

I never noticed how many stylish framing devices there were in this one movie. I have to go back and grab them all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Haganai NEXT 09:

I really thought that Yozora was going to be on suicide watch but she took that better than I expected.

wtf @ that random Kobato shot at the end of the episode

The iDOLM@STER 14
simCvGx.jpg

Grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit grapefruit...
Well that was boring. I said the last episode felt like a season ending, well this episode felt like a first episode of a new season. They even had some character reintroductions. It wasn't like a split season or something was it? I guess they really just wanted to do a normal first episode.
So now that they kinda reached their first goal in the first half of the season, I guess they need a new motivator. Cue in the evil dudes.
Still, I always like to see the whole gang together in one room. But with their new found stardom, I hope they still have crazy hijinxes. Those are the best episodes.

CorvoSol

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 13

AWWWW YEAH BATMAN GUNDAM. And Rain's Mobile Trace sequence is the most suggestive thing I've ever seen in a show I assume was at one point watched mainly by twelve year olds. TANGO SHINING FIIIIINGEEEER!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tamako Market 09:

Damn, that ending hit me hard, even if the revelation was telegraphed lightyears in advance.

I really like it when this show slips undercurrents of sadness into the personalities of the impossibly-cheerful and bubbly shopkeepers. First Afro Dude and his unrequited love, now Tamako's dad and his quiet longing for his youthful days with his dead wife. The record/cafe man is probably the most overtly melancholy of anyone in the district, but I'd still like to know more about his past outside of the band. Something had to turn him into a lonely eccentric.

DiGiKerot

Love Live 09

Nico is far and away my favourite character on the show, mainly because she's actually a bit of a self-serving jerk rather than a variation of The Nicest Person Ever like everyone else.

I really need to get around to clipping a Nico-Nico-Ni~~ for use as a notification sound, because that won't be at all annoying.

CorvoSol

MSG 0080: War in the Pocket 2

Alfred's not very smart, is he? Then again, he's a little boy, so I guess it's only right. His carefree world seems incredibly at odds with the very death-heavy world so far depicted in the UC stuff I've watched. And I think this episode takes place around the same time Amuro visits Side Six? I dunno, I mean, there was a red MS out there, and only one guy pilots those.

Articalys

Hmm... apparently the latest chapter of the Symphogear manga is teasing an announcement to come after the last episode of the rebroadcast that's currently airing. Perhaps a trailer for season 2?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 12:

"Nagisa, Honoka, how about sacrificing your Sunday off school to perform unpaid labor at my takoyaki stall for the entire day?"

"Gee, we'd love to, Akane! It's not like we have lives of our own."

OH MY GOD THIS MUSCLEBOUND GUY IN A CAPE WITH GLOWING EYES IS CLEARLY FAR MORE POWERFUL THAN ALL OF THE OTHER MUSCLEBOUND GUYS IN CAPES WITH GLOWING EYES. It's not like we defeated his MotW in exactly the same manner that we've defeated every other MotW or anything.

cajunator

Banned
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 12:

"Nagisa, Honoka, how about sacrificing your Sunday off school to perform unpaid labor at my takoyaki stall for the entire day?"

"Gee, we'd love to, Akane! It's not like we have lives of our own."

OH MY GOD THIS MUSCLEBOUND GUY IN A CAPE WITH GLOWING EYES IS CLEARLY FAR MORE POWERFUL THAN ALL OF THE OTHER MUSCLEBOUND GUYS IN CAPES WITH GLOWING EYES. It's not like we defeated his MotW in exactly the same manner that we've defeated every other MotW or anything.

clearly this show is not worthy of Honoka or Nagisas presence.
you liked Futari wa precure didn't you?

Articalys

The official Biglobe poll for most anticipated Spring season show:

1) Railgun S
2) Oreimo S2
3) Hentai Ouji
4) Nyaruko S2
5) Uta no Prince-sama S2
6) Valvrave
7) Attack on Titan
8) Hayate no Gotoku
9) RDG