• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to mince words, one can just call it the greatest Gundam work of all time.

I find it difficult to make a real comparison in that department, simply because the format and style of 0080 are so different from more typical Gundam works.

Which is why I'm happy just saying that it's one of the best, and that everyone should watch it if they want to be considered a human being.

Chihayafuru S2 09

Hey guys, what are the Queen's thoughts on Team Matches? I forgot already.

I think she's mixed on them, but it's been so long since I watched the episode. I don't think they spent enough time on that question.

Articalys

From issue 15 of weekly jump.

movie2_bwlqposterscan.jpg

Discussion on the poster and apparent movie title of something like "Gintama: The Finale" or "Gintama: The Final Act". Let the over analyzing begin.
Older news than the Shinsengumi.

Jarmel

Banned
Robotics; Notes 18-

This show has some truly awful pacing and nonsensical twists in it. Steins;Gate really was the anomaly.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ixion Saga DT 21

ixionsagadt21.jpg

I heard a rumor on the internet that if you keep your DT by time you reach 30, you turn into a Hyperion.

STAND UP ED

ixTdksmZoqBnv.gif

ib0P4kjoVBa9RD.gif

His name is Ericpyle Dukakis
He has Erectile Eysfunction.
It's an ED about ED

SO FUCKING META.

tumblr_inline_mifag2oi031qz4rgp.gif

Jex

Man, to think this was the output for that entire year.

Meanwhile we're getting 40+ shows next season alone.

It feels like the industry is getting a bit bloated again, but then again there are a number of single cour/extremely short shows coming out these days to balance things out somewhat.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 13:

This episode is emblematic of how this season has been dumbed down and any sort of appeal to the periphery demographic has been completely excised and replaced with copious amounts of simplistic moralizing for small children, all of which is achieved primarily through the complete mental regression of the characters. It was seriously an episode about Nagisa learning the importance of obedience after catching a cold because she refused to wear a coat when her mother asked her to. I SHIT YOU NOT. What's even worse is that the episode couldn't even convey a very simple moral about actions and consequences without tripping all over itself because none of Nagisa's friends are wearing winter clothes either yet none of them get sick in spite of exercising the very same poor judgment. This fucking show.

also, poor Japan

From the New World 23

Was so glad they delivered something Ive wanted from this arc since the start.
Shun Aonuma there at the end with no mask and everything and so many lines he had, Yes! Is a part of him in Satoru too?

Though it seems everything got all mysterious now and I cant see what its ending would be.
If the child is not a fiend as Shun says than what of it, and ultimately what of the plan, and Kiromaru?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Perfect list.

Railgun is so good. Girls being girls only works when you have a cast that isn't boring and said girls get into some fights and beat the shit out of people. Also needs some more yuri and 0% Index.

I've always been interested in Railgun... I'd probably be more likely to check it out if it were a little shorter. No doubt S will also be two-cour, so that places it out of reach for me, if I want to watch other shows.

Jarmel

Banned
Robotics;Notes 20--

Whatever. 2 more episodes then I'm done with this shit. Remind me never to be hyped for another 5pb adaptation. Do you still love robots yo?

Jex

Just started up robotics;notes, watched 10 episodes today. I really, really like it. Finally back into anime again, and time to lurk AnimeGAF again.

Well it's always good to know that people are around, watching you from the sidelines in a slightly creepy manner.

Jarmel

Banned
You know, as much as I hated Guilty Crown, I would rather take Guilty Crown over something like Robotics;Notes any day of the week.

Gundam Seed HD 28 bd
tumblr_mjemtgyuMD1qbxqfpo1_500.png

First half looked largely untouched or something with dated visuals, they could have touched some of it up, certainly given to those conversations scenes instead of scenes where Strike is just standing doing nothing.

Plotwise this Gundam series is starting to feel really depressing. Honestly have to wait several days to go to the next because the writer just makes it that way for some strange reason. If something bad happens to Ahtrun or he meets death would easily become the least good Gundam.
First Nicol of last episode and that intense scene with Yzak taking it so hard, and then Athrun having grasping and taking one last whiff of Nicol's uniform before going all rage and such against Kira. And Poor Kira having to not only see that death but then be up close with Tolle who now joined the deceased in that crossfire. Tolle had such a bright and promising future. Though both he and Ahtrun have one more thing they can relate to each other with, hopefully they can get over any hard feelings and try to resolve differences? Really strange conclusion, how could Kira even survive the self destruct and melted chair?!

Jex

This is a good insight, and it took me a few episodes of watching the show to really understand it. I'm so used to being beaten over the head by things that I didn't know what to do when a show stood back and let events speak for themselves. I can't think of anything that rivals Windy Tales' level of understatement. The only other show that I can think of that sometimes approaches it is Cowboy Bebop, and even that isn't really doing the same thing.

It makes the episodes feel a lot more organic, and it ultimately makes the show more rewarding for me.

People, for some reason, insist on comparing Windy Tales to Studio Ghibli even though it doesn't resemble anything that that studio has put out. However, in one sense, they're on to something as I'll explain below.

In terms of understated storytelling in the field of anime the director that springs to mind is the famed Ghibli director Isao Takahata. His TV shows Anne of Green Gables and Marco are both notable for their organic approach to depicting events in a character's life. Now, what Windy Tale's has that's notably different from those works is that spark of magic and whimsy that underlies the whole show, a feature which is a lot more common in Miyazaki's works. As such, I think the Hayo Miyazaki work which is most similar to Windy Tales is the movie he made that was most influenced by Takahata - Kiki's Delivery Service. Despite the obviously magical premise of that movie the tale itself is far more grounded and 'ordinary' than the kind of thing that Miyazaki likes to deliver.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I wish I could be laughing right now, but I decided to start watching another episode of Max Heart :(

If only Joker had forced the girls from Smile to watch the second season of Futari wa, he would've had the despair energy required to defeat them during the first half of the season.

Jex

[From The New World] - 23

Actually, that wasn't as bad as I feared. It was totally acceptable, bar one slightly dodgy scene. However the pacing is still really fucked up, none of the scenes last as long as they should and I always feel like each scene is missing a bit at the start. It feels like we keep jumping in half-way through an event, like they're rushing through the material to get to the end. Which is a real shame because there are a number of really great sequences in both this and last weeks episode.

Also, you can't just end like that. Whaaaaat.

Mature

I'm gonna be really sad when From The New World ends. And I'll probably end up in full shill mode. That is, if the ending isn't somehow awful.

Jarmel

Banned
Tamako Market 7-

I'm sure there is some sort of social commentary about how the savages, exemplified via the brown skin and spirituality, were entrapped by the wonderful Japanese culture.

Jex

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - A Battle with the Third Dimension (10 minute OVA)

For a main series not extremely focused on jam-packed action, this OVA sure is all about it. From start to finish the 08 team found in an unexpected scrimmage. It's most definitely not the most intense you've seen (not even from the particluar series). However, if 2D Sunrise mecha action is what you seek, it's here. There's even Michel writing in that old diary again!

It's all I ask for!

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ep 11

Visually, only one display this time, though the opening battle was really quite good. Wonder if we will get more Garmillan space fights. I am kind of ready for a multi episode arc to start up but the history provided of the true take on the first encounter worked well to detail some background for the captain and most events. Though who would be right in that situation
, if they hadnt fired back then wouldnt we still be at the same outcome, Garmillans of the present dont seem to be all that peaceful and seemed bent out on galactic conquest?

Kodai was really exceptional this episode in trying to build trust with Melda. Kind of felt a bit bad for Shima though and trying to battle his emotions with reality. I hope he can stay strong and doesn't get too caught up in the revenge idea. He should confide or seek help from Kodai they can relate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom