• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

So I have an odd theory regarding AKB0048 and I'm not sure if it has been brought up before, but...
the Center Nova's place on the stage is known as "position 0" and she's supposed to be isolated and alone, which is part of the reason why some of them disappear to save everyone. Nagisa and Chieri are both shown to have the potential to succeed Acchan and become a Center Nova. The show is called AKB0048, and the logo is two 0 rings overlapping each other. What if the ending involves two Center Novae, both inheriting half of Acchan, and they open the gate together to let everyone back? Lol.

Pretty much in line with what i was thinking of that, and it fits in with how Nagisa is and when she shines the brightest.

Novid

Banned
everytime people say I don't like CGI, I remind them that CGI does have its place and has historical president:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMA22xJEcQ
(greatest intro of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yUmmnaXJU
(second greatest intro of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Wzppz0_0U
(most underrated intro when played in full)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2aoEfPWXDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgccg8YY9Bg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh9DwiyICQo
(The most emotional, all them feels son, all them feels.)

http://entertainment.click3x.com/en...cbs_sports_super_bowl_xlvii_animation_package.
http://www.bigstudios.com/project/super-bowl-xlvii-2013-opening-sequence-2
http://cakestudios.tv/project.php?p=101
(Modern day. Looks better, but they lost rigging ability)

Where as in Japan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxPjUo5-cI
(same year as the very first intro in 1983)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSgHFCIA6k
(really? how many years? how many years japan?)

CorvoSol

GTO 14

The funny thing is, I don't know if criminals are criminals anymore, or if they're friends of Onizuka helping him stage things so he can come out on top. I'm guessing the two ruffians who kidnapped the "lick my feet" girl aren't Onizuka's pals, though, because usually all of Onizuka's seedy friends are like him: jerks with hearts of gold, chivalrous perverts, diamonds in the rough etc.

I wasn't expecting this "Onizuka vs stalker/slasher" arc to go on for so long, though. Kinda nice, actually. Best part was the guy spotting Onizuka in Ms. Fuyutsuki's pad. That or when Ms. Fuyutsuki told Onizuka she had some equipment, and he took that to mean some really kinky stuff.

Aquarion Evol

I have no idea why I am watching this but it is the best worst thing ever.

Em9KOco.png

Is this some sort of weird euphomism for the cradle of life?

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 37

Such a roller coaster of an episode. The Anthy that was giving Utena that glare of malice and death was nowhere to be seen in this episode. Just pleasantries with Utena, really.

...Oh, except for that part where she tried to kill herself. It seems as though this is what ultimately leads Utena to decide to see End of the World. Anthy's car ride with Akio where riding in the car was causing her immense pain, so I imagine that's what lead her to attempt suicide. She said "It's no use." She feels doomed to suffer the pain the world has unleashed on her. But I guess the one thing that can change that is for Utena to go see End of the World.

I rather liked the scene where Utena, Miki, and Juri were swatting away at the badminton with each other. Even Nanami was there, but she was just being Nanami as usual. Nice to see pleasant interaction between those characters, seeing as how Juri and Miki never really had anything against Utena.

There is...one line in this episode that really struck me and, in an instnat, changed the way I thought about how this show was portraying something. But I think I'll save that for final discussion.

Hurricanes play in 20 minutes, so I think I'm going to take a break and eat dinner and watch that. Then, it's the final two episodes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The iDOLM@STER 24

Yep, that certainly was a Haruka episode. Not much else to say really. It was good. Liked seeing Jupiter, or at least Touma, again. And Miki calling someone selfish? Kinda pot calling the kettle black, no? At least until they made an obvious attempt at redeeming her later in the episode. Sorry Miki, you're still bottom tier on my list. Even Yukiho is better, and she might as well not even be in the series, for as much as she does.

Alright, time to finish this up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Chihayafuru S2 09
This season has been pretty solid in terms of quality up until this episode, but boy is this a hard dip. Flashback lines from earlier in the episode are thrown into the viewers face continuously and without much meaning. The whole episode was really just lame antics, which is sort of odd given the stakes. But I guess that has always been a problem for the series, it's simply more noticeable here when you have characters taking unnecessary risks for people they don't even know. There is still a solid message underlying this episode, but this wasn't the correct means of conveying it. It doesn't seem like Madhouse cared too much about this episode. I guess the hope is always that resources were diverted to make what's left to come better.

Narag

Armoured Trooper VOTOMS 02

Yeah this is an 80s show alright. This episode looked to almost have come out of FOTNS except not, obviously. THE HORRORS OF WAR. OP is pretty ace btw since I forgot to mention.

dat chirico. i owe myself a rewatch but no time!!

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 14

It was going to be a good episode, then Tieria was in it and it was crap. Also Crossroads, who is a sucky character for no damn reason. But all dat Ms. Sumiragi fanservice! Oh, and Stupid Sexy Lockon is everything Setsuna's character aspires to be without any of the teenage writing.

"Tell me, why is this world so twisted? Is it God's fault? Or ours?"

UGH DIE DIE DIE.

Is it asking too much these days for a good Gundam show not set in UC?

Narag

So I have an odd theory regarding AKB0048 and I'm not sure if it has been brought up before, but...
the Center Nova's place on the stage is known as "position 0" and she's supposed to be isolated and alone, which is part of the reason why some of them disappear to save everyone. Nagisa and Chieri are both shown to have the potential to succeed Acchan and become a Center Nova. The show is called AKB0048, and the logo is two 0 rings overlapping each other. What if the ending involves two Center Novae, both inheriting half of Acchan, and they open the gate together to let everyone back? Lol.

That makes perfect sense. I hope it turns out that way.

Varion

Dokidoki Precure - 06

And in complete contrast to last week's, this was actually a great ep. Plot bits, Cure Sword actually starting to be likeable at last, and the end...

Shortest Precure series ever. Well not really, but when Bel said it was his turn I wasn't expecting him to appear the second all the Cures are assembled and make them all disappear through the floor right at the end of the episode. They've been a few unresolved plot threads at the end of episodes so far but this one's proper cliffhanger level, hah.

Also, Sword's henshin FINALLY. It was disappointing though, Alice's is still easily the best.

They actually changed one of the bits shown in last week's preview, too. Clearly the staff saw how many lewd photoshops it had spawned.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The iDOLM@STER 25

Pretty good ending. Most of the episode was either concert footage or a flashback clipshow, but hey, it fits with a series like this. So yeah, good stuff. Now time to get hype for the movie! :D

cajunator

Banned
Dokidoki Precure - 06

And in complete contrast to last week's, this was actually a great ep. Plot bits, Cure Sword actually starting to be likeable at last, and the end...

Shortest Precure series ever. Well not really, but when Bel said it was his turn I wasn't expecting him to appear the second all the Cures are assembled and make them all disappear through the floor right at the end of the episode. They've been a few unresolved plot threads at the end of episodes so far but this one's proper cliffhanger level, hah.

Also, Sword's henshin FINALLY. It was disappointing though, Alice's is still easily the best.

They actually changed one of the bits shown in last week's preview, too. Clearly the staff saw how many lewd photoshops it had spawned.

is dokidoki comparable to any certain previous precure show?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Revolutionary Girl Utena 36

Welp...

It's here. The show has now reached the point of no return. The fan has officially been struck with shit. No going back. It was inevitable that this would happen. Now it's here.

Touga first takes Utena to the Dueling Arena at night and says he's fallen in love with her and that she's the only princess for him, yada yada yada, shut the fuck up. So she humors him and spends a romantic evening there with him. And they also probably had sex. Ugh. Then he challenges her to a duel and whoever wins brings the world revolution. But if she loses, she has to be his bride. At this point, I did not care how dangerous encountering End of the World would be; she was NOT going to be Touga's woman. No. I would not have that. I would destroy any existing discs and tapes with this episode on it, plus destroy the entire internet in an effort to wipe this episode from existence if that happened.

Luckily she wins, so I don't have to.

And then...Utena sees it. She sees Anthy's naked body (with hair conveniently covering the spots too delicate for casual viewers) in front of Akio, and she finally realizes what's going on between them. She doesn't seem to understand it; hell, I don't really understand it. But that look, that stare of pure death that Anthy was giving her...holy shit...that's the stuff of nightmares. Glad I'm not watching this late at night, for I would likely not get to sleep if I had to go to sleep on that. Wow.

So it's happened. Where does the show go now? We shall see.
I need to Rewatch this, but
I'm sure the only man that fucks Utena is Akio.

Narag

I need to Rewatch this, but
I'm sure the only man that fucks Utena is Akio.

I always thought of Touga as her first even if they never fucked due to their duel. I've no idea if the symbolism is international but deflowering her then rejecting her early on to the point she was lost to despair left me feeling that's why she handled the Akio encounter better than I expected.

Varion

is dokidoki comparable to any certain previous precure show?
Like most people watching it in this thread are saying it's pretty similar to Fresh in a lot of ways with bits of the others shoved into the mix, like Sword having a similar role to Heartcatch's Cure Moonlight initially. There's a whole lot of Fresh in there though. Although I've yet to see a Precure that loves leaving hooks for the next episode to pick up from as much as Dokidoki does.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The iDOLM@STER 26

Oh yeah, this is a thing too. Really good. Actually enjoyed this more than the "last" episode. Just some funny moments with the idols hanging out together. I missed this from the early episodes of the show. Nice to see Jupiter one more time, too. Also I learned that apparently hamburger sushi is a thing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Touga can
sex someone up with his smouldering gaze.

Theonik

Joshiraku 07
iZA0bSb5wJFDV.png

Well I suppose that's one way to generate electricity
I think this show is making me laugh a lot more than it should be. Red looks pretty cute in suspenders. This episode was very very enjoyable. The gaijin hate also makes its return too. As expected from Japan. :Theonik [/URL] quite a lot of refferences in this show as expected from what came so far with one pretty unexpected one. Shame I didn't watch this earlier, it would have ended up on my top anime list for sure. This picture should come in handy in this thread.

Chirico! You should try watching the prequels before jumping into the series. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_Trooper_Votoms"]Wiki
has the chronology there. Great series too.
Thanks, I think I'd probably prefer to go with order of release rather than chronological. Probably saves more surprises that way. And yes from what I've seen so far Chirico is awesome. That escape man.

Nafe

He probably did hear her sing the song many times, seeing as he initially doesn't even react and only gives in to embarassment when the talk about the song is prolonged. He probably did tell Tamako something along the lines of "be quiet", or just left suddenly, and Tamako was probably confused about it many times, but she's not the type of person to actually look more into it or even associate it with the song.

This part is kind of tricky, but I took it as he never sings the song like he did this episode when Tamako heard him. He does spout some verses at the beginning of the episode and nothing happens in that instance. I think that for him to take his guitar and just start with the song as if nothing else mattered takes a very special occasion; the blocking when he enters the room seems to go with that too as it puts emphasis on Mamedai + the guitars, relegating everything else in the screen. There are also some other details that put weight into that day for him such as seeing the look-alike woman passing by and stuff.
For the sake of telling the story they had Tamako listen in just this exact one. Or rather, they told the tale of when Tamako actually heard her dad singing the song.

It's not a very solid explanation, but whatever I just wanted to talk about the episode lol. I can totally forgive any issue or disinterest I had with the Anko part just for that final stretch from when
Tamako interrupts her father
to the end of the episode. It was just so nice and earnest in all ways, and I loved that 80's family sitcom atmosphere the tune gave to the events.

Thanks for the response. I guess it was maybe just something like that then.

Haha, that's okay. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to promote discussion on a good show. Well, I'm enjoying the show anyway.

I actually liked the episode in case in came across that I hadn't and the revelation around that topic actually still turned out to be interesting.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ohhhh Brits of Anime GAF wish you were here at the London meet. Latest review : chihafuru or however you spell it had a proper cheeky ending. No messing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Revolutionary Girl Utena]
I always thought of Touga as her first even if they never fucked due to their duel. I've no idea if the symbolism is international but deflowering her then rejecting her early on to the point she was lost to despair left me feeling that's why she handled the Akio encounter better than I expected.
I don't think the allegorical meaning of duelists deflowering each other with big long metallic phallic swords made of one's self is lost on anyone, but
it wouldn't make much sense for him to have done her considering their last duel is about him wanting her to be his bride. The entire reason of Touga's fixation on Utena is that he can't have her. Hence the Shadow Girl play with the fisherman who caught every fish in the ocean except one.

Narag

[Revolutionary Girl Utena]

I don't think the allegorical meaning of duelists deflowering each other with big long metallic phallic swords made of one's self is lost on anyone, but
it wouldn't make much sense for him to have done her considering their last duel is about him wanting her to be his bride. The entire reason of Touga's fixation on Utena is that he can't have her. Hence the Shadow Girl play with the fisherman who caught every fish except in the ocean except one.

I'd have to rewatch to see if I felt the same way. First go impressions might be the results of misinterpretation or simply being misled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom