• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaitou Reinya 01

NemWTkC.jpg
BGdpzQz.jpg

This is suppose to be about a famous thief who's also a normal girl working at a convenience store which somehow turned into a 3 minute ad for instant noodles.

I want some instant noodles now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kaitou Reinya 01

This is suppose to be about a famous thief who's also a normal girl working at a convenience store which somehow turned into a 3 minute ad for instant noodles.

I vaguely recall that this was supposed to be an advertisement vehicle for some idol.

Accel World SP 8 (end)

Good ending for it, kind of touching.

Anyway with that guess every animated property involving Accel World has been watched. Will rewatch as soon as Viz puts the series eng dub on Neon Alley hopefully really really soon and hope the dub comes on bd this summer.

Ex was amazing, the sp were alright for specials not Tegami Bachi Academy good but certainly not as dull as Sword Art Online Offline.

Theonik

Armoured Trooper VOTOMS 01
That was quite the first episode. I'm already hooked though I feel I'm watching too many shows now so when I finish it is another question entirely. :(

Jex

[Golgo 13: The Professional] - (Dub)

Year of Production: 1983
Director: Osamu Dezaki
Studio: TMS

This is my second time watching this in a few months and I must admit that I enjoyed this far more on my second time through. I'm not entirely shy what's the case, either, because the only thing different about this viewing experience was that I listened to the dub which was neither exceptional nor unexceptional. Perhaps I simply knew what to expect, specifically I was simply aware that the movie had some pacing issues and that it would eventually pick up steam.

I must confess, when I listened to the DITB episode about Golgo 13 I was surprisingly shocked to hear everyone raving about how much they enjoyed this movie when they saw it was a teenager. I, on the other hand, never saw this movie when I was younger and so I can examine it without nostalgia clouding my vision. Looking at the film with unbiased eyes reveals a number of obvious flaws: the film is clearly composed of a number of Golgo 13 short stories stitched together into a movie which results in some unfortunate pacing issues, the directing can be far too experimental and surreal for it's own good, a number of the action sequences look cool but are fairly unsatisfying, women are treated horrendously (which is true to the source material, I imagine, but still) and CG helicopters ruin everything.

Still, despite all these shortcomings the movie looks and feels utterly amazing. Osamu Dezaki was a truly stylish director. He's extremely talented at making beautiful images. He's also exceptionally creative as well, it's really hard to spot a scene where he sits on his haunches and re-uses shots and visual motifs that he's used earlier, instead he always strives to shoot from a different angle or use a different technique to come up with something new. His quest to create bold, striking images is not entirely unproblematic though as some of the stuff he produces is simply surreal rather than effective, and he ends up sacrificing animation for detail although in this case I don't particularly care about that because the detail in the film is astounding. I would dearly love to have the BD because every image in this film is packed with agonising amounts of detail and and craft and shading.

While the visual direction might not be as cohesive as in say, a Miyazaki or Kon or Hosoda movie, Dezaki really brings something else to the table in terms of his visuals. Feast your eyes on this:

Jex

Armoured Trooper VOTOMS 01
That was quite the first episode. I'm already hooked though I feel I'm watching too many shows now so when I finish it is another question entirely. :(

You shouldn't be picking up 50 episode shows if you're already busy!

Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter 20

The hi-ougi of making mt everest appear in the middle of the city was depressing cool. Its no tunderclap ascension or such, but still. Something that is perfect for Michie. I cant wait to see Shunsukes at some point (hopefully in the international ai rally?)

Steroyd

Robotics;Notes - 20

A nakama speech... for robots.

I don't even...

I've never been so unsympathetic about the main two characters, is what I would say if Sakuraso no Pet Kanojo didn't exist.

cajunator

Banned
I might start this up today when I get home. If only to move forward to Splash Star.

You brave person you. I might do this also after watching Heartcatch. I know that's like cheating but I really wanna see every damned one of the Precure shows and see if I can garner any enjoyment from the bad ones. you know, like a hatewatch. I dont hatewatch enough.

For the Sailor Moon fans.

As if any of those exist here!

Unlike some of the others I'm glad you referred to us as mostly creepy. After all, that's suggesting a better image of anime fans than many people have.

This is an interesting perspective on what was said. However, I think it was the accompanying text that really came across as condescending. Probably a sarcastic comment taken wrongly.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 13:

This episode is emblematic of how this season has been dumbed down and any sort of appeal to the periphery demographic has been completely excised and replaced with copious amounts of simplistic moralizing for small children, all of which is achieved primarily through the complete mental regression of the characters. It was seriously an episode about Nagisa learning the importance of obedience after catching a cold because she refused to wear a coat when her mother asked her to. I SHIT YOU NOT. What's even worse is that the episode couldn't even convey a very simple moral about actions and consequences without tripping all over itself because none of Nagisa's friends are wearing winter clothes either yet none of them get sick in spite of exercising the very same poor judgment. This fucking show.

also, poor Japan

So you're saying that the show has regressed since Futari Wa Precure, because if you remember, Honoka
very nearly lost the boy she had a crush on, Kiriya, after he failed to obey the dark kingdom. It was assumed that he was destroyed, only to later show up ok.
From "She cried on the porch. Cried until the tears no longer came" to lessons about not getting sick by disobeying mommy. That definitely seems like a hell of a regression to me. With my anime watching time so limited maybe I should save this one for one of those times when I am bored as shit from everything but have caught up on a lot of better stuff. Or else struggle through it an episode or two at a time like you are doing.

Kaitou Reinya 01

So this is basically like a super light version of Saint Tail but with noodle advertisements?
I wish more people watched Saint Tail. Its totally adorable old-school cel drawn anime fun.

Ginga e Kickoff 35
tumblr_mhdzg4I0Cu1qhauoro1_500.jpg

Ryuuji would make a good coach I bet, I wonder if thats his goal in life. Aoto's backflip kick goal and Kota's goal were awesome.

I think Tagi's voice is in some anime this season.

Speaking of weird Golgo 13 scenes:

ibhuXhg7Kf7dML.gif

This needs to be a reaction gif to something, no idea what but this needs to happen.

Also glad to see all the Joshiraku love, definitely a show that deserves more of it. Though I did kind of wish there was more about the rakugo but considering the creator this was probably a silly thing to hope for. Still I need more rakugo based shows damnit! Tiger and dragon can't be the only one, it can't be!

NeonZ

I hope it really is basically Sorachi giving theatrical treatment to a conclusion for Gintama, even if the manga eventually ends differently. Far too many franchises waste movies with pointless fluff. Considering Sorachi's heavy involvement with the script, it's the perfect opportunity to give Gintama a high budget finale.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
You brave person you. I might do this also after watching Heartcatch. I know that's like cheating but I really wanna see every damned one of the Precure shows and see if I can garner any enjoyment from the bad ones. you know, like a hatewatch. I dont hatewatch enough.

Haha! You're braver than me, going from the best (HeartCatch) to what sounds like the worst (Max Heart). I wish us both luck.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 35

I like how they replaced that whole princess opening with the actual scene that occurred. And it seems that Utena is coming closer and closer to remembering what happened that day. That'll be an interesting scene for sure.

My rage at Akio is slowly beginning to rise. Fuck my ass, not a prince. She's gonna be Anthy's prince and save her from her torment, bitch. Man if he tries shit like Touga tried to pull back in episode 11 and 12, then this thread is turning nuclear.

Speaking of Touga, he says something interesting. He says Utena is still trapped in her coffin, and that only he can save her, and he can only do it by defeating her. Wondering what to make of this. Does he mean, actually save her? Like, fo reals? Or is this just Touga being a douchemaster again, frustrated that Utena seems to be the one fish in the sea he can't catch, and saving her just means turning her into a princess that he can stick his dick in? I'm skeptical about him, but we'll see.

Anthy...doesn't look too pleased about the relationship that has developed between Utena and Akio. Her cold demeanor back in ep.33 was especially chilling, and though there hasn't been anything quite like that since, it's still pretty obvious that it's there.

cajunator

Banned
Haha! You're braver than me, going from the best (HeartCatch) to what sounds like the worst (Max Heart). I wish us both luck.

I would have gone right to Max Heart, but I heard how good Heartcatch is (and so far that has proven to be correct) so I wanted to jump right into it. Plus I have watched 49 episodes of Nagisa and Honoka and needed a change.

cajunator

Banned
cajunator's never gonna make progress in Sailor Moon, is he?

hbU9c5i.jpg

I made it through the first series. Im not abandoning it forever.
I only have very limited time to watch stuff. Dont want to burn myself out on one series or another.
Plus how can I say no to my Minako?

Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo - 09

Mondaijitachi%20ga%20Isekai%20Kara%20Kuru%20Sou%20Desu%20yo%20-%2009.jpg

Entering the battlefield ..like a boss.

Why does this have to end next week ?

Negociation times were great and so was the dark lord gift game 2nd part ..

Gonna read the books once this anime is over..

cajunator

Banned
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo - 09

Why does this have to end next week ?

Negociation times were great and so was the dark lord gift game 2nd part ..

Gonna read the books once this anime is over..

I know. Its soooo short :(

But that means I was able to watch all of it so its kind of good thing.

Theonik

Armoured Trooper VOTOMS 02
iGKKa0uNe8vO6.png

Nice eyecatch
Yeah this is an 80s show alright. This episode looked to almost have come out of FOTNS except not, obviously. THE HORRORS OF WAR. OP is pretty ace btw since I forgot to mention.

duckroll

AKB0048 - Episode 17-22

Real reactions:

- Oh man this is a boring episode for an Election. Zzzzz. Why is there no animation? Lame.

- Wait what the what's going on erm, what.

- Errr. What? Erm. Oh.

- LOL ITSHAPPENING.GIF SPAM TIME!!!!

- Wut so the show is now Gasaraki. Okay then.

- Roflmao what's this. Lol wut. Errrr.

- Lulz. I think I have brain damage. :(

Dresden

from the new world - 23

Tokyo being an epicenter of sorts for the negativity and the fear it incites (thus twisting it even further) is really neat; as is usual for the show, themes explored early on are continually expanded, and it even ties into the very existence of the monster rats, they in turn a simulacra of what humans were rather than is, something of a subliminal reflection of underlying wants and fears. It's a nice set-up for what looks to be happening next episode.

Some powerful and effective sequences this episode,
especially that end.
Going into the finale, I can only hope that it'll live up to the promise set by the rest of the show, as inconsistent as it has been.

Ah yes, evil jelly strands. The true enemy of mankind.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ep 12

Excellent episode. I really enjoyed Shima as navigator and then that turning into a really pleasing Kodai Shima affair. Whole thing really worked to develop them separately with those silly elementary tasks to clean the ship to a really awesome finish for them. Both easily my favorite characters among the cast. Really these episodes focusing on the cast and their interactions makes everyone feel somewhat important.

Garmillan stuff was rather compelling. The new commander, the hunter of sorts, seems like he'd really get the job done and won't be a pushover like the previous ones within our solar system. The Milky Way Theatre is heating up and the preview for 13 looks incredible.

Syrinx

Revolutionary Girl Utena 36

Welp...

It's here. The show has now reached the point of no return. The fan has officially been struck with shit. No going back. It was inevitable that this would happen. Now it's here.

Touga first takes Utena to the Dueling Arena at night and says he's fallen in love with her and that she's the only princess for him, yada yada yada, shut the fuck up. So she humors him and spends a romantic evening there with him. And they also probably had sex. Ugh. Then he challenges her to a duel and whoever wins brings the world revolution. But if she loses, she has to be his bride. At this point, I did not care how dangerous encountering End of the World would be; she was NOT going to be Touga's woman. No. I would not have that. I would destroy any existing discs and tapes with this episode on it, plus destroy the entire internet in an effort to wipe this episode from existence if that happened.

Luckily she wins, so I don't have to.

And then...Utena sees it. She sees Anthy's naked body (with hair conveniently covering the spots too delicate for casual viewers) in front of Akio, and she finally realizes what's going on between them. She doesn't seem to understand it; hell, I don't really understand it. But that look, that stare of pure death that Anthy was giving her...holy shit...that's the stuff of nightmares. Glad I'm not watching this late at night, for I would likely not get to sleep if I had to go to sleep on that. Wow.

So it's happened. Where does the show go now? We shall see.

duckroll

So I have an odd theory regarding AKB0048 and I'm not sure if it has been brought up before, but...
the Center Nova's place on the stage is known as "position 0" and she's supposed to be isolated and alone, which is part of the reason why some of them disappear to save everyone. Nagisa and Chieri are both shown to have the potential to succeed Acchan and become a Center Nova. The show is called AKB0048, and the logo is two 0 rings overlapping each other. What if the ending involves two Center Novae, both inheriting half of Acchan, and they open the gate together to let everyone back? Lol.

Theonik

So I have an odd theory regarding AKB0048 and I'm not sure if it has been brought up before, but...
the Center Nova's place on the stage is known as "position 0" and she's supposed to be isolated and alone, which is part of the reason why some of them disappear to save everyone. Nagisa and Chieri are both shown to have the potential to succeed Acchan and become a Center Nova. The show is called AKB0048, and the logo is two 0 rings overlapping each other. What if the ending involves two Center Novae, both inheriting half of Acchan, and they open the gate together to let everyone back? Lol.
That's actually not really that absurd. If it doesn't happen I'll be disappointed now. Needs to have docking too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom